Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Cole reporting on Twitter that the Packers are among 4 teams besides the Pats in on Revis. One other being the Steelers whom have already said he's too much for them. So apparently 2 other teams and the Patriots.

H

HardRightEdge

Jason Cole reporting on Twitter that the Packers are among 4 teams besides the Pats in on Revis. One other being the Steelers whom have already said he's too much for them. So apparently 2 other teams and the Patriots.
That would be quite the shocker.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if the Packers ponied up money for Revis. The team is in a beautiful situation right now of retaining its own guys and trying to beef up the d a little and the special teams a lot. They were soooo close to the Super Bowl that the right tweaks will put them over the edge. How sweet it is.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Us signing him would be the likes of all the last second trades, Cobb resigning and bulaga resigning, all wrapped into one. Revis wouldn't come here, and Thompson would pay him.

All smoke. No mirror, no fire.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, Revis is an excellent player, but doesn't he bring a lot of locker room baggage?
Not that I'm aware, but it would send a horrible message that we ask our guys to hang around for less and then go grab a headhunter who jumps teams for max deals.

I pass

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is good, but not a packers type guy. I think it would create friction in bringing him in like this. Knighton would work as an under the radar type, Revis is a straight hired gun.

It would create a bad look for what we do and how we build, and I truly think it would create a rift when we tell guys to come in, work hard, and earn.

To turn around and grab him would destroy that mentality. We are lucky. We have built a culture in a small town that is about teamwork and winning by knowing your job and the guy next to you.

He would be a luxury we don't need

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All that being said... How freaking awesome would this be?

If he plays like he did last season, he would greatly help the defense.

With the entire starting offense under contract for at least two more seasons, if there was time to say screw the cap and load up on some defensive talent, this would be it.

That being said, however, I don't see it happening.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still a lot of LB available out there. Which one left would you guys want if we could get them for cheap?

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lofton and wilhoite are the only ones who make sense, with a lean to wilhoite due to underneath coverage.

Neither are **** and could easily be upgraded by mid round draft picks.

There are no great ilbs this off season.

Spikes is not the answer.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about someone like Bruce Carter? He played well for the Cowboys at ILB before they moved to the 4-3 and stuck him on the outside. Could be worth a one year deal if the price is right.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware, but it would send a horrible message that we ask our guys to hang around for less and then go grab a headhunter who jumps teams for max deals.

I pass

I dont think he "jumps teams" because he wants to. He has been traded, released, and not had his option picked up.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Lofton and wilhoite are the only ones who make sense, with a lean to wilhoite due to underneath coverage.

Neither are **** and could easily be upgraded by mid round draft picks.

There are no great ilbs this off season.

Spikes is not the answer.

Spikes would be an immediate upgrade to the run defense. He has to be paired with a guy capable of covering RBs and TEs though.

Wilhoite is still under contract with the 49ers and I´m not sure they still want to trade him after Patrick Willis retired. Lofton was terrible last season, don´t think he would be an upgrade at the position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just curious how someone can disagree with this? I mean, Jason Cole DID report this...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious why players like Revis, who do what 99% of America does and try to make the money they're worth, get a bad rap in the NFL? When did it become a rule that the players had to give up money so that billionaire owners could make more money?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious why players like Revis, who do what 99% of America does and try to make the money they're worth, get a bad rap in the NFL? When did it become a rule that the players had to give up money so that billionaire owners could make more money?

I saw something from Andrew Brandt this morning, whom I think is great, that Revis is getting praised for being a great business man today. His point was, if he was a great business man he's be entering the 3rd year of a very lucritive deal with TB and I agree.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw something from Andrew Brandt this morning, whom I think is great, that Revis is getting praised for being a great business man today. His point was, if he was a great business man he's be entering the 3rd year of a very lucritive deal with TB and I agree.

I disagree. Lovie Smith was trying to use the best cover corner in the NFL (one of the best all time) in a cover-2 system. Revis wasn't being used like he should have been and I think his reputation was taking a hit (it was then that people started discussing Sherman v Revis v Peterson) and he knew it. He was making a ton of money in TB but his "brand" was suffering and Tampa sucked; how long were the Bucs going to pay a corner top dollar? There's no way the Bucs would have continued to pay him at that level and none of Revis' contract was guaranteed in Tampa.

Also, I'm not only talking about Revis. I'm talking in general. Players get torn apart when leaving a team for more money elsewhere. Why should the players take a pay cut so the owners can make more money?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree. Lovie Smith was trying to use the best cover corner in the NFL (one of the best all time) in a cover-2 system. Revis wasn't being used like he should have been and I think his reputation was taking a hit (it was then that people started discussing Sherman v Revis v Peterson) and he knew it. He was making a ton of money in TB but his "brand" was suffering and Tampa sucked; how long were the Bucs going to pay a corner top dollar? There's no way the Bucs would have continued to pay him at that level and none of Revis' contract was guaranteed in Tampa.

Greg Schiano was the Bucs head coach during the only season Revis was playing in Tampa Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.