• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

These guys are going to stop taking hometown discounts when they see TT try to roll over 15+mil. Saving some for next year is fine but hoarding it for the sake of hoarding it is a little odd. If he was going to do that he should have just front loaded the crap out of Cobb's deal.

He still has Raji and Guion and KUHN to sign.

I´m absolutely fine with Thompson not overpaying for anyone just because the Packers have cap space left. I have a hard time believing there hasn´t been one single player available at a position of need who would have signed for a reasonable deal though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Browner got 3 years 15 mil. That seemed quite reasonable and was a position of need. They offered Tramon 5 per (not sure if it was 2 or 3 years) which is what this deal was for annually.

H

HardRightEdge

Quite a gamble to take with the team's title chances. When you have to many if's and hopes, your odds of success decrease.
Yeah, it's the number of ifs and hopes that are concerning.

Silverstein's blog post from yesterday also quoted McCarthy's optimism regarding the D line:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/297183351.html

"I think our offensive and defensive line has a chance to be as strong as it’s ever been combining both units," McCarthy said at the NFL owners meetings Sunday.

"We want all of our guys back, especially our big guys," McCarthy said.

The optimism stems from the desire to have Raji and Guion under contract, not to mention Raji finding his mojo. Those are big ifs.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Silverstein's blog post from yesterday also quoted McCarthy's optimism regarding the D line:

"I think our offensive and defensive line has a chance to be as strong as it’s ever been combining both units," McCarthy said at the NFL owners meetings Sunday.

The optimism stems from the desire to have Raji and Guion under contract, not to mention Raji finding his mojo. Those are big ifs.

Huge ifs, my friend. Again, for me , it's that intangible doubt that creeps in. Ted's way is great, but to me, there comes a point where you have to stretch things a bit if you're a title contender. Not to get reckless and foolish, but we seem to act like a team still in building mode. The saying, "tomorrow never comes" is starting to pop into my head lately.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Browner got 3 years 15 mil. That seemed quite reasonable and was a position of need. They offered Tramon 5 per (not sure if it was 2 or 3 years) which is what this deal was for annually.

I don´t think the Packers are looking for a tall corner like Browner though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never thrilled with Browner. He's stiff, pretty much strictly a press corner. Moves and speed expose him if he doesn't have help over the top.

H

HardRightEdge

Huge ifs, my friend. Again, for me , it's that intangible doubt that creeps in. Ted's way is great, but to me, there comes a point where you have to stretch things a bit if you're a title contender. Not to get reckless and foolish, but we seem to act like a team still in building mode. The saying, "tomorrow never comes" is starting to pop into my head lately.
I think the doubt takes a fairly tangible form in the depth chart as currently constituted.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a ridiculously misleading statement by McCarthy. The dline has been poor for years and this year's oline should be the best of his tenure. Well, if the dline is still poor (one half of the "combined" units) but the oline is better, well then we can say the combination is better.

H

HardRightEdge

That's a ridiculously misleading statement by McCarthy. The dline has been poor for years and this year's oline should be the best of his tenure. Well, if the dline is still poor (one half of the "combined" units) but the oline is better, well then we can say the combination is better.
I think the comments were clearly based on the return of Guion and Raji, which strikes me as putting a brave face on a tenuous situation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect Daniels will continue to improve. I think he's a great Dlineman. I think if Raji and Guion are both back, our line will be OK, but certainly has a lot of room for improvement.

Either way, "starting" wise, I don't think our defense will be that bad. I think, (assuming the above 2 are re-signed) we move Matthews inside and our D will be as good as it was last year. The problems really start when we get injuries and with depth and we'll fall off quickly in terms of production if that happens.

Regardless, we have camp cuts and the draft coming. I really think 2 out of the 3 positions on D will be taken care of that way and it's going to work out good enough for this team to be in the hunt again.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect Daniels will continue to improve. I think he's a great Dlineman. I think if Raji and Guion are both back, our line will be OK, but certainly has a lot of room for improvement.

Either way, "starting" wise, I don't think our defense will be that bad. I think, (assuming the above 2 are re-signed) we move Matthews inside and our D will be as good as it was last year. The problems really start when we get injuries and with depth and we'll fall off quickly in terms of production if that happens.

Regardless, we have camp cuts and the draft coming. I really think 2 out of the 3 positions on D will be taken care of that way and it's going to work out good enough for this team to be in the hunt again.

Matthews played 51.7% of the snaps inside after the Packers bye week. I really don't think the team prefers to increase this number even further as he's by far our best edge rusher.

As HRE has mentioned repeatedly Thompson needs to have a hell of a draft to make the defense work.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews played 51.7% of the snaps inside after the Packers bye week. I really don't think the team prefers to increase this number even further as he's by far our best edge rusher.

As HRE has mentioned repeatedly Thompson needs to have a hell of a draft to make the defense work.

I would love to see that hover around the 30% mark. Enough for opponents to have to plan for it yet means we got solid ILB play.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I was not at this time making a fire Capers post either, simply stating what seems painfully obvious to me which is that there seems to be a serious lack of intestinal fortitude from the defense on the biggest stage. Although if we were really to put the offense under a microscope as well, they are not really well known for coming up big in crunch time either.

Still not so sure of the " TT needs to have a hell of a draft to make the defense work" comment.

Assuming Raji and Guion return, as ive discussed my belief in with you before, we have two holes to fill.

ILB which I think we all can agree will be adressed early in the draft and then a dime CB. Im not sure pulling one starter at ILB and a #4 CB really constitutes a "Hell of a draft".

Not saying upgrades at other position wouldnt be nice but really we have two pressing needs assuming Raji n Guion resign. Ones we need a starting ILB and the other is we need a dime CB. Anything else is gravy for next year. But needing one starter n a reserve shouldnt take a hell of a draft to find

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still not so sure of the " TT needs to have a hell of a draft to make the defense work" comment.

Assuming Raji and Guion return, as ive discussed my belief in with you before, we have two holes to fill.

ILB which I think we all can agree will be adressed early in the draft and then a dime CB. Im not sure pulling one starter at ILB and a #4 CB really constitutes a "Hell of a draft".

Not saying upgrades at other position wouldnt be nice but really we have two pressing needs assuming Raji n Guion resign. Ones we need a starting ILB and the other is we need a dime CB. Anything else is gravy for next year. But needing one starter n a reserve shouldnt take a hell of a draft to find

I respect the optimism and relate to it somedays...other days I'm freaking. To me I don't like having 3 unknowns.....2 I handle better. We are entering the draft with 3 bonafide needs in my opinion: ILB, CB and NT. We don't have a for sure thing starter wise in each of these.....filling 1 is a sure thing with TT I feel, 2 can be done....3 may be too much for even TT to pull!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're assuming Raji and Guion, even if signed, play well enough to count as 2 holes filled. Can't count on any contributions from a #4 CB sometime later in the draft - short or long term. As to ILB, if there's a run on those before we pick, can't count on that either.
Which is why I say proactive rather than reactive and hoping whatever falls to us works out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're assuming Raji and Guion, even if signed, play well enough to count as 2 holes filled. Can't count on any contributions from a #4 CB sometime later in the draft - short or long term. As to ILB, if there's a run on those before we pick, can't count on that either.
Which is why I say proactive rather than reactive and hoping whatever falls to us works out.

There is no proactive things left outside of signings of a Spikes (temp fix and situational) and maybe a big fat NT in FA. Draft and roster step ups will be needed.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no proactive things left outside of signings of a Spikes (temp fix and situational) and maybe a big fat NT in FA. Draft and roster step ups will be needed.

I disagree, at least to an extent. Spikes is one option, as is Red Bryant. Mason Foster is another, although the 49ers are currently talking to him.
There are no certainties that Raji or Guion will sign. Cobb was considered gone- just before he resigned. Going into free agency, the consensus was we'd resign at least one of Williams or House; they both left.
Bryant is a better run stopper than either Raji or Guion are, ever have been, or ever will be.
Foster is more proven and has more upside than any of the great x factors currently under contract at ILB. Spikes on his worst day is flat out better than any of them.
My point is, be proactive in FA and trades wherever and whenever you can. Find teams with a glut at ILB, call them and see if they'd be interested in trading so and so, and if so, what would it cost?
Draft and roster step ups are always needed, every year. But don't just sit back and depend on the draft- which is basically a glorified crap shoot- and hope the football gods will hand you gifts of whatever you need.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade unless they want one of our backups straight up, picks are of too much potential at this point. You agreed with me though in that signing Spikes and someone like Red Bryant would be good things...I am a Bryant fan personally and would love to put a G on his helmet.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade unless they want one of our backups straight up, picks are of too much potential at this point. You agreed with me though in that signing Spikes and someone like Red Bryant would be good things...I am a Bryant fan personally and would love to put a G on his helmet.

I really didn't disagree with anything you said, tynimiller. I just felt I needed to expand on my own points, since sometimes I don't do such a good job of making my points in a written forum such as this one.
And yeah, to get a proven player at a position of need I'd trade a pick which is just unknown potential now. For example, I'd have no problem giving up a late 4th for someone like Foster, if he wasn't a UFA.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been starting to see tweets that the Packers are close to signing Raji to a 1 year contract for roughly 2 million + incentives. Sounds about right.

Next up Guion but I dont think he'll be signed till after the draft or a ruling on what kind of suspension he'll be recieving

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main concern with relying on the draft is that it's been talked to death that Capers' style of defense doesn't work well with young players. I had thought perhaps the Packers were taking that into account when they brought in Peppers but apparently that was simply an anomaly.

Dix picked up on it quite well. Dix is looking like a future all pro.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Dix picked up on in quite well. Dix is looking like a future all pro.
If he learns better tackling technique maybe. He leaves his feet too often to tackle.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Once again we´ll see if either Raji or Guion (who will be probably be suspended for several games) will be back with the Packers. Even if Thompson re-signs Raji he´s coming off a season ending injury and has been mostly terrible over the last few seasons, so there´s no guarantee he will be an impact NT.

The Packers need a very specific starter at ILB opposite Barrington with Kendricks being the only perfect fit as a three down linebacker. If he´s gone by the time Thompson picks the position most likely will be a problem heading into next season once again.

Hayward is a talented slot corner but we´ll have to wait and see if he´s capable of preventing being beat deep while playing outside. If he continues to allow 30 yards per completion playing there the Packers will have to find someone capable of replacing him.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as our defense is ranked in that 15-20 area, we'll be fine because our offense will score enough to win most games anyway I am assuming. The offense we put on the field next season has the potential to be the best we have had under McCarthy. It'll be especially elite if Richard Rodgers progresses and we land a TE who can contribute right away in the mid/late rounds of the draft.

I like Nick O'Leary from FSU a lot. He reminds me of Dallas Clark.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As long as our defense is ranked in that 15-20 area, we'll be fine because our offense will score enough to win most games anyway I am assuming. The offense we put on the field next season has the potential to be the best we have had under McCarthy. It'll be especially elite if Richard Rodgers progresses and we land a TE who can contribute right away in the mid/late rounds of the draft.

I like Nick O'Leary from FSU a lot. He reminds me of Dallas Clark.

The 2011 team scored 35 points per game (third in NFL history), so I think it´s unrealistic to expect the 2015 offense to be even better than that unit. The Packers will for sure be fine with an average defense during the regular season but it will make it pretty tough to win another Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.