Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As a side note, Montgomery's first contribution will likely be input on whether Jordan Phillips would be worth the #30 pick as the draft board is constructed. I doubt anybody on the scouting staff would have better insight than his college position coach.
I disagree with this premise. He's going to have a biased opinion in either direction. He does provide insight to this player but the scouts are better able to provide a better overall assessment of his value relative to other players while incorporating the additional info.

H

HardRightEdge

I disagree with this premise. He's going to have a biased opinion in either direction. He does provide insight to this player but the scouts are better able to provide a better overall assessment of his value relative to other players while incorporating the additional info.
I see your disagree and raise you a disagree. ;)

Area scouts (and on up the scouting ladder) rely upon their connections in the college coaching ranks for info you can't get from the tape, particularly study habits, conditioning habits, leadership qualities, coachability, "citizenship", position room work...all the stuff you can't know without being in the facility every day.

Further, while a college coach might want to burnish his own image by touting the wonderful players he produces, those kinds of exaggerations or deceits, even if they're happy talk self-deceptions, gives their reputation for talent assessment a short half-life. The proof is in the putting. Word gets around about who regularly gets it right and who regularly gets it wrong.

In Montgomery's case, an accurate assessment is more acutely in his interest than the opinion of an outsider. It goes directly to his performance evaluation.

In this case, Phillips looks like one of those nimble big men who plays smaller than his size. Conditioning? Motor? Fundamentals? A simple lack of meanness? Avoids the weight room? Extenuating circumstances, like poor scheme fit or nagging injuries that didn't keep him out of games?

For the Packers to not value Montgomery's input on a player he position coached, particularly one at a position of need slotted by many around the #30 pick, would be foolish.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Area scouts (and on up the scouting ladder) rely upon their connections in the college coaching ranks for info you can't get from the tape, particularly study habits, conditioning habits, leadership qualities, coachability, "citizenship", position room work...all the stuff you can't know without being in the facility every day.
I agree. Montgomery is in a unique position to evaluate Phillips and it would be extremely short-sighted for him to provide anything other than an honest evaluation. But the proof will be in the pudding and Phillips may not be one of the highest rated players when the Packers pick, no matter Montgomery's report.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I see your disagree and raise you a disagree. ;)

Further, while a college coach might want to burnish his own image by touting the wonderful players he produces, those kinds of exaggerations or deceits, even if they're happy talk self-deceptions, gives their reputation for talent assessment a short half-life. The proof is in the putting. Word gets around about who regularly gets it right and who regularly gets it wrong.

In Montgomery's case, an accurate assessment is more acutely in his interest than the opinion of an outsider. It goes directly to his performance evaluation.

In this case, Phillips looks like one of those nimble big men who plays smaller than his size. Conditioning? Motor? Fundamentals? A simple lack of meanness? Avoids the weight room? Extenuating circumstances, like poor scheme fit or nagging injuries that didn't keep him out of games?

For the Packers to not value Montgomery's input on a player he position coached, particularly one at a position of need slotted by many around the #30 pick, would be foolish.
I agree, Montgomery would provide a lot of inside info on this player, and it should be taken very seriously and incorporated into the assessment.

Montgomery has no idea however if his guy should have a value of 25th, 35th or 50th pick. He's not a scout and doesn't have applicable knowledge of other players in the draft.

If you re-read my earlier response, I think you'll find that I stated this. He's got the inside dope on one prospect.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree, Montgomery would provide a lot of inside info on this player, and it should be taken very seriously and incorporated into the assessment.

Montgomery has no idea however if his guy should have a value of 25th, 35th or 50th pick. He's not a scout and doesn't have applicable knowledge of other players in the draft.

If you re-read my earlier response, I think you'll find that I stated this. He's got the inside dope on one prospect.
No argument there. It is one just one player, even if it is a position and player of particular interest. It's just a first order of business for Montgomery since there ain't much coaching going on right now. My response was directed at your "biased" comment.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. Montgomery is in a unique position to evaluate Phillips and it would be extremely short-sighted for him to provide anything other than an honest evaluation. But the proof will be in the pudding and Phillips may not be one of the highest rated players when the Packers pick, no matter Montgomery's report.
Montgomery might have insight as to whether Phillips eats too much pudding.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Julius Peppers didn't reach any escalators which would have increased his 2015 salary so his base salary remains at $9.5 million.

He would have added another $1 million by winning DPOY, $750,000 if he had accumulated 12 sacks and the Packers won the Super Bowl and $250,000 for being named to the Pro Bowl.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have officially signed LB Josh Francis (6-0, 238). After going undrafted out of West Virginia in 2013 he played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL in 2014 and the Wichita Falls Nighthawks of the Indoor Football League in 2015.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have officially signed LB Josh Francis (6-0, 238). After going undrafted out of West Virginia in 2013 he played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL in 2014 and the Wichita Falls Nighthawks of the Indoor Football League in 2015.
Alright, alright, alright (McConaughey voice)! Looks like we have no need to waste a pick on a LB now. This makes 2 years in a row that Teddy has made a "splash" signing and I couldn't be happier! This stud lined up next to Carl Bradford is going to make teams think twice about running up the middle. OK, truth is I have had a crap day for the ages and needed a laugh. In reality I dig stories like these and you never know, maybe the kid can play? I wish him well but again I composed this post for nothing more than selfish reasons. Carry on...

Oh yeah, G P G!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers inform DuJuan Harris they won't tender him meaning Harris will become a free agent.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers inform DuJuan Harris they won't tender him meaning Harris will become a free agent.

He didn't play much last year, other than special teams, and was inactive the last few games. Too bad, I liked him, but the truth is Ted can get that kind of production out of a rookie who plays for league minimum.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we draft a RB in the middle rounds. Either that, or bring in someone like CJ Spiller for cheap.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we draft a RB in the middle rounds. Either that, or bring in someone like CJ Spiller for cheap.

Why would CJ Spiller choose a team that has Eddie Lacy and James Starks? And I doubt he's going to be cheaper than the guy they just let walk.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers have put exclusive rights tender on safety Chris Banjo.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have put exclusive rights tender on safety Chris Banjo.

What's the difference between the exclusive rights tender and 1st/2nd/original pick tender?
Now that I think of it, what's the difference between an early rights free agent and a restricted free agent?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What's the difference between the exclusive rights tender and 1st/2nd/original pick tender?
Now that I think of it, what's the difference between an early rights free agent and a restricted free agent?

An exclusive rights free agent is a player whose contract has expired and has three or fewer tenured years in the league.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really try hard not to get caught up in the hype but I just read there are Rolando McClain to GB rumors flying about. Anyone heard anything on this?

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers still need to come up with at least a 2-down ILB, a starting NT and a starting cover corner to get back to 2014 "par".

H

HardRightEdge

Barclay and Richardson were given "original round" tenders...one year at $1.542 mil. Since both were undrafted, there would be no compensation if another team signs either away by beating that tender offer.

EDS was given the same tender last year and got signed away. I doubt that will happen with Barclay coming off the ACL and Richardson not established as anything but a reserve box safety / special team guy.

Scratch $3.1 mil from the cap with these two guys since they'll be in the top 51.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/p...chardson-jarrett-boykin-restricted-free-agent

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts