Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy and Scolari were together for 2 years on the KC staff. The following report indicates he'll be assisting Campen while also stating he turned down a job with Greg Roman, his former OC in SF, now in Buffalo.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/291302651.html

Scolari ran a zone blocking scheme in KC, brought it to Seattle in 2008 where ran a zone/man mix, while in SF he was running a man blocking scheme.

The Packers are primarily a zone team, with some man blocking primarily in short yardage. Scolari's been around both blocks (pun intended), and with the Packers smallish O-Linemen I wouldn't anticipate any scheme change.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy and Scolari were together for 2 years on the KC staff. The following report indicates he'll be assisting Campen while also stating he turned down a job with Greg Roman, his former OC in SF, now in Buffalo.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/291302651.html

Scolari ran a zone blocking scheme in KC, brought it to Seattle in 2008 where ran a zone/man mix, while in SF he was running a man blocking scheme.

The Packers are primarily a zone team, with some man blocking primarily in short yardage. Scolari's been around both blocks (pun intended), and with the Packers smallish O-Linemen I wouldn't anticipate any scheme change.

I don't expect any scheme change either. The Niners had a pretty good rushing offense during Scolari's tenure (5th in rushing yards, 6th in yards per attempt, 8th in TDs), so I hope this results in improved run blocking by our OL.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love that he is familiar with both styles of blocking. He knows what the strengths of these guys are and he knows the strengths and weaknesses of each style of blocking. Hopefully that allows him to creatively get these guys in position to block short yardage runs better.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy confirms changes to coaching staff mostly already been reported by various sources.

Alex Van Pelt will coach QBs and WRs, Jeff Montgomery named defensive front assistant, Mike Solari offensive line assistant.

In addition MM said he will split time equally between offense, defense and special teams.

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy confirms changes to coaching staff mostly already been reported by various sources.

Alex Van Pelt will coach QBs and WRs, Jeff Montgomery named defensive front assistant, Mike Solari offensive line assistant.

In addition MM said he will split time equally between offense, defense and special teams.
Some reports had Montgomery signing on for an assistant quality control position. Assistant position coach is 2 notches up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO having Montgomery as the quality control guy would have been a waste of his talents. Dave Aranda, the Badgers' DC also interviewed with the Packers - presumably for the same job - and having him in quality control would make no sense either. I like the Scolari hiring as well and of course like most I'm very happy with Bennett's promotion, Clements taking over play calling and McCarthy's greater involvement with the STs and D. With the exception of not conducting a thorough search for a STC, I really like what McCarthy has done. The STC may not be as important with McCarthy more involved and McCarthy certainly helped on D as well. If we see better game management from McCarthy as a result of these moves I think he gets a B+/A- for his early off season changes. Now it's Thompson's turn: Retain Bulaga, Cobb, House or Williams, and sign a FA to shore up the middle of the D - NT or ILB (love to get one of each but let's be realistic).

H

HardRightEdge

IMO having Montgomery as the quality control guy would have been a waste of his talents. Dave Aranda, the Badgers' DC also interviewed with the Packers - presumably for the same job - and having him in quality control would make no sense either.
Yes, it would be very odd indeed for a DC in a major college program to take a job involving ordering lunch.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Another thing worth mentioning is that Clements, Bennett and Van Pelt probably had their contracts extended through the 2016 season with their promotion meaning the Packers can block any teams requesting an interview with them for a coordinator position after next season.

H

HardRightEdge

That's correct for Montgomery but he may have been talking about Aranda.
Right, Aranda evidently interviewed for the same job. Even with Montgomery, just promoted to DC or co-DC or whatever it was, assistant QC would be awfully low on the ladder for those credentials.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have spent the most actual cash ($296.9 million, 116% of the cap) in the first two years of a four year period in which teams have to spend at least 89% of the salary cap in cash. Ten teams are currently under the required floor.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ending-union-nflpa-raiders-patriots/23522207/

I would assume much of that is from large signing bonuses given to Rodgers and Matthews.

It doesn't mean we've been going cap crazy or anything. Not saying you were saying that but just thought it should be said.

H

HardRightEdge

I would assume much of that is from large signing bonuses given to Rodgers and Matthews.

It doesn't mean we've been going cap crazy or anything. Not saying you were saying that but just thought it should be said.
That's certainly a factor. 2013 - 2014 singing bonuses:

Rodgers $35 mil
Matthews $20.5 mil
Shields $12.5 mil
Nelson $11.5 mil
Peppers $7.5 mil

Teams that had heavy signing bonus cash layouts in longer term contracts pre-2013 would be victims of timing.

A team's 2013-2014 dead cap numbers can also be a factor, another timing consideration. Oakland, for example, had $46 mil and $18 mil in 2013 and 2014 dead cap, respectively, as McKenzie cleaned house, constraining cash spending. McKenzie's heavy lifting appears to be complete, with only $1 mil in dead cap and a $97 mil in cap hit for 2015 at the moment. I'd expect him to be active in free agency. Suh perhaps?

I doubt we'll see much affect in higher average yearly salaries from this factor, though agents will press for higher signing bonuses from teams struggling to meet the cash requirement.

As always, the higher cap will have an inflation affect.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and he was a co-DC with Stoops brother. That sounds like a "i want to keep you on staff to block you from leaving for another college DC job" promotion
Stoops moving Montgomery up was 2 fold from everything I've read. 1. His brother Mike is running out of time after last year's debacle. That defensive unit was/is littered with pro talent (Tapper, Phillips, Striker, Grissom, Hayes and a few others) and they laid an egg. Montgomery was the clear cut predecessor and deserved the job. 2. He was OU's best recruiter, voted BIG 12 recruiter of the year and ranked top 10 nationally as well. Bob thinks the world of Monty and would often speak of his uber bright future in the business. As I've mentioned numerous times this was a huge loss for the Sooners. I still read posts and stories almost daily about how they will have a difficult time replacing him. I couldn't be happier to have Monty joining this coaching staff and have full faith he will be a rising star in the league.

H

HardRightEdge

Packers have spent the most actual cash ($296.9 million, 116% of the cap) in the first two years of a four year period in which teams have to spend at least 89% of the salary cap in cash. Ten teams are currently under the required floor.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ending-union-nflpa-raiders-patriots/23522207/
Another new and interesting consideration is this year's free agent season (and going forward) is the affect of the rookie salary scale.

This is the first free agency season where players under the scale are hitting the market.

In general, teams have been using the savings (primarily on first and second round picks) on veteran contracts.

Teams that have been spending close to the cap will see a big jump in cap hit when signing their high picks that proved up into core players, squeezing the ability to sign vets.

For some teams this could be problem in any one year. A team that currently has a group of high pick core players with 1-4 years experience that had not already been extended by 2014, while also spending close to the cap, will have a rolling problem in signing a vet or two each year going forward.

For example, if Sherrod had proved up, together with Cobb heading for a big jump in cap number, with the Packers carrying $127 mil in 2015 cap hit already, we'd be talking about signing either Sherrod or Bulaga, while straining the capacity to sign Cobb and one of the cover corners still in question. Had this problem been anticipated a year in advance, while wanting to keep the O-Line intact, perhaps Peppers would not have been signed.

As it stands with Bakhtiari, the problem has been deferred for a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. That makes it sound like they are really grooming this guy to be the next DC.
I obviously can't say that with any certainty but living in Oklahoma and following the Sooners very closely this guy was really starting to make a name for himself. The reason I am so jacked about this is that we are the team that gets to give him his first shot and so long as he performs and we take care of him this rising star could end up being a integral part of this staff for years to come and who know's, maybe even DC?

H

HardRightEdge

Wow. That makes it sound like they are really grooming this guy to be the next DC.
McCarthy said they've been looking for the "right guy" for a couple of years, for what precisely he did not say. But given the duration of the search you'd have to figure it's an important hire in McCarthy's mind.

By making him "defensive front assistant", it would appear he's projected over Trgovac, and since assistant LB coach McCurley did not get promoted to full assistant it would appear Montgomery is projected over him as well, if not the defacto LB assistant in relatively short order.

He'll be working at Capers elbow according to reports, and with McCarthy being more involved in the defense, he should be getting some serious mentoring. One would hope he can contribute within the Capers system once he's gotten his feet wet, bringing some needed coherence to the front 7 and perhaps some first-round-pick-whispering to get more out those guys.

Of course the proof is in the putting. It's the coaching version of a draft pick. Sometimes they work out as projected, sometimes they don't. I am optimistic...business as usual on the defensive side of the ball was untenable.

As a side note, Montgomery's first contribution will likely be input on whether Jordan Phillips would be worth the #30 pick as the draft board is constructed. I doubt anybody on the scouting staff would have better insight than his college position coach.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be too quick to anoint Montgomery as the next DC. Jason Simmons worked directly under Capers last season (spitting his time on D and ST) and now he’s Zook’s assistant. Montgomery could be groomed to take over for Trgo if he were to leave. BTW, I’d expect Trgo, Winston Moss (associate HC in case some have forgotten), and Darren Perry to be ahead of Montgomery in the line to succeed Capers, who has said he’d like to coach at least 6 more years.

BTW, I believe the expression is “the proof is in the pudding”. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn’t be too quick to anoint Montgomery as the next DC. Jason Simmons worked directly under Capers last season (spitting his time on D and ST) and now he’s Zook’s assistant. Montgomery could be groomed to take over for Trgo if he were to leave. BTW, I’d expect Trgo, Winston Moss (associate HC in case some have forgotten), and Darren Perry to be ahead of Montgomery in the line to succeed Capers, who has said he’d like to coach at least 6 more years.

BTW, I believe the expression is “the proof is in the pudding”. ;)
I, for one, did not anoint anybody for anything, as duly noted.

One version of the expression is, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

I prefer the alternate version in common usage, "the proof is in the putting", as in what is put out (not what you do on the golf greens). ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have announced that they've released WR Kevin Dorsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts