Packers likely to cut Chad Clifton, according to report

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Left tackle Chad Clifton is not likely to remain a a Green Bay Packer, according to a report to Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports on Friday.

Clifton would be on the books for $5.7 million next season if he is not cut. As Josh Katowitz of CBS Sports points out Marshall Newhouse played well enough to get the job (not great), and he comes on the cheap with a 2012 base salary of $490,000. Clifton has been with the Packers since 2000 but missed 10 games because of a hamstring/back injury.

Meanwhile wide receiver Donald Driver is likely to be forced to restructure his contract in order to remain a Packer. Driver will be in the final year of a $17.208 million contract he signed in 2010. Driver also has a roster bonus due in March.

The Packers could possibly make these changes by March 5th. That is the deadline to franchise tag Matt Flynn at $14.4 million then trade him, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The news won't catch Driver by surprise.

"The organization knows what I’ve done on and off the field, and they want to keep me around as long as possible," Driver told WISN-TV two weeks ago.

"If that means sitting down and taking pay cuts to stay around, then you take pay cuts to stay around. I’ve always said it’s not about the money for me anymore"

As Tom Silverstein of Journal Sentinel points out, the Packers might use some of the money they free up if the plan to tag and trade Flynn comes to fruition, by giving Greg Jennings an extension, signing center Scott Wells and extending Clay Matthews.

Attachments

• icon_9866018.jpg
    icon_9866018.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 5,974