Packers ink Peppers

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm blown away as well not only that they signed but also with the money. I sure hope Ted and the gang know something we don't because Peppers has not looked like the type of player deserving of that kind of money. EDIT: If it is only 3.5.... I'm lovin it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I want the Packers to participate in free agency to bring in some much needed talent to reasonable deals.

I don't think getting a 34-year old veteran, who is clearly on the downside of his career and has never played in a 3-4 qualifies as what I want them to do. :confused:

He might have a late career resurgence, Chicago's defense didn't do him much in the way of favors with the lack of surrounding talent. Peppers could flourish with Matthews garnering the lion share of the attention.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those looking for a name signing can rejoice. Those looking for a logical signing can remain perplexed.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we freaking out about the money? This is basically 1 year, $7.5M with the option for more IF we want to. This is a good move. Even at 34, Peppers still has good pass rushing ability which will be a huge boon to our defense.

Consider at Chicago he had to be the man on D and here he just has to be another guy to bring heat opposite Matthews. He may flourish.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL at a lot of you!
The ones who said Free Agency was bad, that TT's 100% Draft & Develop Method was good enough.
Now complain about the $$$ committed to Peppers.

Peppers, unlike DeMarcus Ware, is healthy.
Ware has questions about his neck, as well as elbow.

Now our DL has 3 first-round talents spread across the board in:

• DE Peppers
  • NT Raji
  • DE Datone

With Mike Daniels, 2nd round pick Worthy as depth.

That's a lot better than one year ago at this point in time.

Still have to solve the safety hole, and upgrade the ILB spot.
But at least they don't have to use the draft to fill that DL now.

34 years old is not the same as it once meant.
Peppers is a SPECIAL athlete. He could have played in the NBA.
And he's been pretty healthy, unlike our guys.

Why in the world does someone's draft position years ago matter? It literally has nothing to do with their quality of play. Oh and Daniels was our best defensive player last year, I hope he isn't backing up anyone.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's basically a 1 year $8.5 million with a team options the next two years. Packers guarantee him nothing after the first year.

Well, if there's no guaranteed money after the first year there are only two ways the contract can be structured.

The first would result in a cap hit of $8.5 million in 2014, the other would result in approximately $5 million in dead money if we don't bring him back in 2015.

It is absolutely beyond my understanding why TT would rather hand out money like that to a 34-year old player who has never played in a 3-4 than to pay the best FS on the market who's only 27 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard after the Peppers signing we still have 17 million in cap space

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we freaking out about the money? This is basically 1 year, $7.5M with the option for more IF we want to. This is a good move. Even at 34, Peppers still has good pass rushing ability which will be a huge boon to our defense.

Consider at Chicago he had to be the man on D and here he just has to be another guy to bring heat opposite Matthews. He may flourish.
I suppose you are right. It appears the deal is all front loaded with little guaranteed in year 2. It's worth the shot.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a bit perplexing to me, I don't understand the dollar figures given to this guy after not even dipping their toe in the water on a guy like Byrd. That being said, it will be interesting to see how the Pack uses him, Body wise he is a Jared Allen clone and I think most people wonder if he can even play in a 3-4.

All that being said, he may be 34 but the guy has started every game for the Bears for the past 4 seasons so he is at least durable. And the thought of him and Matthews rushing the passer stacked up or even possibly side by side with each other is certainly intriguing.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers is a SPECIAL athlete. He could have played in the NBA.
And he's been pretty healthy, unlike our guys.

I don't HATE the move, but I'm not doing cartwheels over it, either. That said, if he's going to line up on the end in our hybrid 4-3 look, this could really work. But, like Aaron Kampman ... I don't ever want to see him trying to backpedal into coverage in the 3-4. That has disaster written all over it.

Last edited:

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I just want to see him put ******** flat on his a** five times per game, along with Fat Matt and whichever sacrificial lamb the Vikings start at QB. Then he'll be worth the money :)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world does someone's draft position years ago matter? It literally has nothing to do with their quality of play.
8 years ago, Ted signs UFA's Charles Woodson, and Ryan Pickett.
They both were former 1st round draft picks.
What that often means (not always, but often) is that they are extreme TALENTS. Rarely do you find guys with their ability level.... The Niners have done this recently as both Justin Smith and Donte Whitner had been former first round talents. Actually so was Carlos Rogers who was another first round talent in the Aaron Rodgers 2005 draft.

Peppers has always been a unique, premium athlete and talent, this him being a former #1 draft pick.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their loss apparently was Green Bay’s gain. Packers GM Ted Thompson has a reputation for playing it very conservatively in free agency, to the point this offseason that some of his team’s fans had begun to question the approach.

So all the fans like me who had been whining about not utilizing free agency to assemble talent, hmm, jeez, perhaps we had a point????

The addition of Peppers changes the narrative — the 34-year-old has lost a step or two but remains a dangerous defensive weapon, as evidenced by 30.5 sacks over the past three seasons (7.5 last year).

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/15/julius-peppers-signs-green-bay-packers/

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 years ago, Ted signs UFA's Charles Woodson, and Ryan Pickett.
They both were former 1st round draft picks.
What that often means (not always, but often) is that they are extreme TALENTS. Rarely do you find guys with their ability level.... The Niners have done this recently as both Justin Smith and Donte Whitner had been former first round talents. Actually so was Carlos Rogers who was another first round talent in the Aaron Rodgers 2005 draft.

Peppers has always been a unique, premium athlete and talent, this him being a former #1 draft pick.

Of the first 12 picks in his draft, Raji is the only one to make the pro bowl. So much for draft position meaning anything. Sorry but I'm a guy that values performance when I look at a player, not draft position.

If you're going to look at someone a decade after they came in the league and sell them as a 1st round draft pick, are you going to cut down someone like Donald driver for not being a 1st rounder?!?!?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the first 12 picks in his draft, Raji is the only one to make the pro bowl. So much for draft position meaning anything. Sorry but I'm a guy that values performance when I look at a player, not draft position.

If you're going to look at someone a decade after they came in the league and sell them as a 1st round draft pick, are you going to cut down someone like Donald driver for not being a 1st rounder?!?!?
Nope.
But Peppers was drafted so high originally because he has special talent, ability, athleticism... you don't find special like that other than the first round.
Same was true of Charles Woodson.

Both guys were gambles as free agents as they were considered either too banged up, or too old.

Ted brought in some serious talent here, albeit past his prime.
Reggie White was also past his prime when Wolf brought him in.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope.
But Peppers was drafted so high originally because he has special talent, ability, athleticism... you don't find special like that other than the first round.
Same was true of Charles Woodson.

Both guys were gambles as free agents as they were considered either too banged up, or too old.

Ted brought in some serious talent here, albeit past his prime.
Reggie White was also past his prime when Wolf brought him in.

Was waiting for the first person to make the completely and utterly ridiculous comparison to Reggie white. Congrats, you get that honor.

I'd like to see you to tell Ray Nitschke he wasn't a special talent.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
When I saw the headline this morning I doubled checked the calendar: Nope, it’s not April Fools Day. (I’ll bet Clay Matthews had to double check to make sure it isn’t Christmas.) This is so out of Ted Thompson’s wheelhouse it’s a little hard to believe. It’s not a ‘first wave of free agency sign a big name for crazy money’ signing just because Peppers is a big name and productive player. But it’s obviously the biggest name Thompson has signed since Woodson. The biggest reason it is such a surprise to me is Peppers’ age. But that’s also why he was as “affordable” as he was.

Consider this from Peppers’ point of view: His chance to go to the Super Bowl was quashed by the Packers at Soldier Field. Then last season’s shot at the playoffs was ruined by the Packers. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. I hope this is what it looks like: A player who has already earned several boat loads of money and all the accolades one could dream of wanting to finish his career with a championship.

The Packers defensive backfield just got better. The linebackers just got better. The other D linemen just got better. Clay Matthews will have (somewhat) less attention paid to him. Dom Capers, Mike Trgovac, and the rest of the defensive coaching staff just became a lot smarter.

I’m surprised at this signing and it’s somewhat of a gamble. But it’s not a long-range gamble. IMO it’s a gamble many Packers fans have been yearning for: A win it all within the next couple of years gamble.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things I like about the signing

1. The structure of the contract. Its not brutal
2. Low risk
3. We hurt the bears and helped ourselves by signing peppers

Things I dont like
1. He isnt a perfect fit for the defense as we know it today. This could change though.
2. I would have preferred a DT or S.

Members online

Latest posts