1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers' hidden treasure: Safety (ESPN)

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TJE71, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TJE71

TJE71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I believe THIS position is the biggest weakness we have left on our roster. The pass rush should be solved. I miss Collins so much~ :(

Who do you guys think wins the starting safety position opposite Morgan Burnett?

• -Peprah, who isn't healthy yet at the moment
    • -MD Jennings
    • -Anthony Levine
    • -Jerron McMillian, rookie

What happens when (if) Burnett gets hurt?
    Is Woodson going to have to play more true safety?

3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Can we talk Brian dawkins out of retirement? at least for one more year.

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    That intensity would be awesome for our defense. I'm hoping Mike Daniels bring that.... most of the guys are pretty quiet.

5. CheeseHead87

CheeseHead87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    I think it's the weakest spot on the whole roster. But we'll see. Maybe Burnett will become a star and someone can step up at the FS position.

Agreed. Nick Collins is sorely missed.

6. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Peprah isn't the permanent solution but he got us to the Super Bowl with Nick Collins at his side. I know that they are different positions, but if Burnett can take a big step in his third year then I think that Peprah will again be steady. He's the type of player that depends on better players to make him look good - which is why I stated that he's not the permanent solution but good enough opposite another great player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Not so much

8. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Yeah, maybe TT read my post and decided to cut Peprah. Oh well

9. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    Nfl.com reported that woodson lined up at saftey while they were using their base defense

10. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    I miss Collins too ;(

And I believe Jerron McMillian gets the job, starting at SS as a rookie like Morgan Burnett did a mere 2 years ago.

11. G0PackG0

G0PackG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    I loved Nick Collins for so much more than football. I watched his recovery videos and his faith in God was just amazing and refreshing. I loved letting my 3yo watch him.
    Also I hope this season marks Woodson's first at safety. He would be great. He is a liability at CB I believe. Just due to age.

• Like Like x 1
  12. burt packerack

burt packerack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    It's crazy that peprah was cut

13. burt packerack

Ratings:
    +99
    i mean i know he was injured but still we don't have a lot of wiggle room at that position

14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Yeah, he, Jennings, Tramon, and Mike Neal are great about that. So was Brandon Jackson and is Randall Cobb.

15. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Burnett and Woodson apparently will be starting in the base. MD Jennings is next in line and they like Anthony Levine enough to have brought him back this season. They also have UDFAs Sean Richardson and Micah Pellerin. Richardson was talked about after the draft because of his size: 6-2, 216. While the youngsters have a lot to prove, the cupboard isn't bare at safety. Also, my guess is Thompson has a list of names currently on other teams' rosters that can be acquired relatively cheaply who he and the staff like better than Peprah.

16. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Yep, they must know something. I was kinda looking forward to what Richardson was going to bring and isn't it possible House is a thought? I kinda thought about that when they drafted him. He certainly has the size and speed.

17. burt packerack

Ratings:
    +99
    I think it's a good idea for woodson to play nickel-back because it is a tough position. We could have him blitz on some plays and play zone on others. Playing zone in nickel-back takes a lot of awareness which veteran woodson has a lot of. It's tough to be in the middle of the slot and outside recievers crossing routes and maintaining your zone.

18. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    Just put Rodgers at safety, I'm sure he'd do a fine job.

In all seriousness I hope it doesn't go to Peprah unless he has dramatically improved, watching the safety position last year was sole destroying.

I'd like to probably start with Peprah though as he has most experience out of everybody but maybe split the snaps 60-40 with M.D Jennings and see how he does on the field.

19. Headrush

Headrush Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Pep got cut the day before camp began. Its up to the young guns to sort out the starting Safety spot opposite Burnett starting TODAY when they put the pads on. Wood is starting at safety in the base 3-4 D according to MM and thats "Nothing really different than what he's done in the past"

GITCHA POPCORN READY!

20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'm glad Peprah is gone. And yes the loss of Collins is huge.

21. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    **** I had no idea! how the hell did I not read that??