Most Valuable Packers (Not Named Rodgers)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My comment was in response to Ty suggesting that Jenkins could shadow, ie, follow the best defensive lineman ( see post 39 above.)

I do think Jenkins is talented enough to do pretty much whatever. That he's a offensive lineman is what prevents him "motioning" to track/follow/shadow the defense's best lineman.
Line him up in the backfield just behind the line. Sort of how the tight end is one step off the line. He can move up to just b4 the snap.:tdown:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment was in response to Ty suggesting that Jenkins could shadow, ie, follow the best defensive lineman ( see post 39 above.)

I do think Jenkins is talented enough to do pretty much whatever. That he's a offensive lineman is what prevents him "motioning" to track/follow/shadow the defense's best lineman.
Yeah I mean I don't think I've ever seen an O lineman move once he's set, other than for a quick gap adjustment left or right. And even that is risky as it can be taken as illegal motion prior to the snap. Once the QB starts the count, the O linemen can't make any motion.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Line him up in the backfield just behind the line. Sort of how the tight end is one step off the line. He can move up to just b4 the snap.:tdown:

While that'd be legal, he has to report as eligible and/or we'd need another lineman to replace his role on the LOS.

The rules require 7 men on the LOS. The two one the ends are eligible receivers. If we break the huddle and only have 6 men on the line, I believe that's illegal formation/shift. So we'd have to 7 initially.

You could work around that to how a TE and Flanker combo can shift to a Wing and Split combo, but I don't know if that applies to interior positions or only the ends/eligible receivers.

But let's assume that's legal somehow. If you're executing a shift, both players have to be set for 1 second before the snap. That likely gives the defense the opportunity to do their own adjustment and invalidate whatever games you're playing with Jenkins.

The other option, where you just line him up as a FB, have him motion and stay of the LOS would solve that mess, but we're still back to having an ineligible receiver. If he doesn't declare, he cannot run a route. You've just made the defense's job easier, as you can completely ignore him in pass defense.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts