Most Valuable Packers (Not Named Rodgers)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I listened to a discussion recently of the most valuable non-Quarterbacks in the NFL.

It was interesting to think about, because they weren't just considering ability, but also positional value, age, cost, and control. A few Packers came up, and it got me thinking about the roster as a whole.

Who are the most valuable Packers players when you consider all of the above? Again that's:

-Ability
-Position
-Control

It's an intriguing discussion because it gets beyond the simpler proposition of which Packers should be the best players in this upcoming season. You have to look at the bigger picture.

Here's my opinion on the top five. I'm happy to hear what other people think.

1. Jaire Alexander:

-Alexander is in the conversation as the best CB in the NFL right now.
-Cornerback, in my opinion, is the 2nd or 3rd most important position on the field (depending on your defensive philosophy).
-Seemingly impossibly, Alexander won't even turn 25 until 4 days before the next Super Bowl.
-Alexander is a screaming deal in 2021 and his 5th year option will also be way below market value.
-Two years of team control before the need to pay him.

2. Elgton Jenkins:

-Jenkins has proven to be one of the league's top interior linemen, and should still be on the ascent.
-Guard is a relatively low value position, but Jenkins off-sets that a little bit with his versatility.
-Will be 25 for the majority of the 2021 season.
-His total cap hit the next two seasons comes to about 4M.
-Two more years of team control before the need to pay him.

3. Rashan Gary:

-While not an established elite player, the trajectory from year 1 to 2 (and just within year 2) suggests really good play in the near future.
-Gary plays the other position that I would say is in the conversation for the 2nd most valuable, league-wide.
-Will be a mere 23 years old for the majority of the 2021 season.
-Cap hit of a mere 9.3M over the next two seasons, combined.
-Has two years of rookie contract left, plus a 5th year option.

4. Darnell Savage:

-Savage is already a very good player, but he has shown signs that he could become an excellent one as soon as this season.
-The value of a safety fluctuates from defense to defense, but it's about as key as it gets in an approach similar to the Rams' of 2020.
-Turns 24 years old this summer.
-Cap hit of about 7.4M over the next two seasons, combined.
-Also has two years left of a rookie deal, plus a 5th year option.

5. David Bakhtiari:

-Depending on how much you weight pass protection, Bakhtiari could be ranked as the best OT in the league.
-Tackle is one of the premium positions in the NFL-- would be 4th for me, but some would have it higher.
-Turns 30 this fall; tendency for elite tackles is to play really well into the 30's.
-Right at the top of the market (4/92M/61.5M gtd); should look better as he gets deeper into it.
-Team control into the 2024 season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to a discussion recently of the most valuable non-Quarterbacks in the NFL.

It was interesting to think about, because they weren't just considering ability, but also positional value, age, cost, and control. A few Packers came up, and it got me thinking about the roster as a whole.

Who are the most valuable Packers players when you consider all of the above? Again that's:

-Ability
-Position
-Control

It's an intriguing discussion because it gets beyond the simpler proposition of which Packers should be the best players in this upcoming season. You have to look at the bigger picture.

1. Jaire Alexander:

-Cornerback, in my opinion, is the 2nd or 3rd most important position on the field (depending on your defensive philosophy).
-Seemingly impossibly, Alexander won't even turn 25 until 4 days before the next Super Bowl.
-Alexander is a screaming deal in 2021 and his 5th year option will also be way below market value.

2. Elgton Jenkins:

-Jenkins has proven to be one of the league's top interior linemen, and should still be on the ascent.
-Guard is a relatively low value position, but Jenkins off-sets that a little bit with his versatility.

3. Rashan Gary:

-While not an established elite player, the trajectory from year 1 to 2 (and just within year 2) suggests really good play in the near future.
-Gary plays the other position that I would say is in the conversation for the 2nd most valuable, league-wide.

4. Darnell Savage:

-Savage is already a very good player, but he has shown signs that he could become an excellent one as soon as this season.
-The value of a safety fluctuates from defense to defense, but it's about as key as it gets in an approach similar to the Rams' of 2020.

5. David Bakhtiari:

-Depending on how much you weight pass protection, Bakhtiari could be ranked as the best OT in the league.
-Tackle is one of the premium positions in the NFL-- would be 4th for me, but some would have it higher.
-Turns 30 this fall; tendency for elite tackles is to play really well into the 30's.
-Right at the top of the market (4/92M/61.5M gtd); should look better as he gets deeper into it.
Yes, Savage played a lot better last year. But since we are going with players on contract also, I'm going to let Savage off and put in Aaron Jones. Sometimes I wonder how so many don't seem to know how good he is at the goal line. All those TDs were not flukes. I am not a big fan of just giving the goal line snaps to Dillon. After all, he will be keyed on and his ability to twist around is nothing like Jones has. Funny how we now have two players that equal Aaron Rodgers this year.

Reaction score
I’m reading between the lines and those categories as a composite speaks of “value”.

1. J’aire Alexander. What can you say? He’s got the best punch in the league and he’s got swagger. If Stokes transitions opposite J’aire, GB will be near lethal in the backfield.. with a fractional cost.
2. Rashan Gary Players who come into the league as College Juniors normally need time. I think Rashan (44.4% snaps in 2020) now has that time. He would flourish if trusted with a 75%+ snap count in 2021 (think older Peppers type production with GB) We have to find a way to get our best talent on the field simultaneously. This reminds me much of the dilemma of Clay, Perry and Peppers. Once they used all 3 mid season 2014? that Defense flourished.
3. Aaron Jones is not just a RB. He’s become a dual threat Receiver/RB and he’s a key component in MLF Offense that ranked #1 in 2020. At $12mil he’s a good value and anytime he’s on the field he has to be accounted for by our opponent.
4. Elgton Jenkins was a steal in the 2019 draft at #44. He likely goes top 20 in a draft do-over. He transitioned instantly as a talented, reliable, versatile, young and cheap OL. Listed as a Center out of MS State, he can play any position on the OL effectively.
5. AJ Dillon is about to give his draft naysayers a reason to apologize. He’s shown glimpses of greatness in just a pretty limited Rookie season. What really impressed me was his poise against a very well-rounded and physical Tampa Bay front 7.
If his Receiving game develops some he could go full throttle in this system. If he eventually earns a #1 spot, he’s a 1000+ Runner.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Yes. That’s #45 Devin White that got absolutely steamrolled by AJ in the NFC game.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd replace Jenkins with Kenny Clark. Interior OL is not a valuable position as any player not a turnstile is adequate. If Jenkins kicks outside long term, then he can return to this list.
While I agree with you that Clark should be on the list; I don't agree that Jenkins should not because he plays on the inside. He helps with the run game a lot imo. Watch him look for the 2nd level after he makes his initial block.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue with Clark on the list is if you factor in cost. I honestly would rank Clark's importance to our defenses success as equivalent to Jaire if being brutally honest - and that is coming from someone that believes Jaire may well be the most complete CB in the game presently. I see them as 1a and 1b for the success of the defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with 2 lists, one assuming Rodgers is QB and one assuming Love is QB:

Rodgers is QB:
1) Jaire - best player on defense, elite corners are the most valuable defensive players
2) Bakhtiari - not having to help the LT opens up so much of the offense
3) Big Z - pass rusher is the second most important position on defense
4) Amos - doesn't splash but having an elite safety is key to having a good pass defense

Love is QB:
1) Adams - Love going to need all the help he can get
2) Bakhtiari - see above
3) Jones - take pressure off the young QB
4) Jaire - see above

What I get from these lists? QBs are SOOOOOO much more valuable than any other position it's crazy. Also, if Love is the QB then I think the guys helping develop Love are more valuable to the team than guys NOT directly helping Love.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of the list and the criteria, I think one of the most important attributes is who can win a game on their own. Everyone above deserves to be on the list. If I am creating the list with Love as the QB (or any rookie QB), I am putting Mason Crosby out there because his leg will determine the outcome of more games than usual.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, Savage played a lot better last year. But since we are going with players on contract also, I'm going to let Savage off and put in Aaron Jones. Sometimes I wonder how so many don't seem to know how good he is at the goal line. All those TDs were not flukes. I am not a big fan of just giving the goal line snaps to Dillon. After all, he will be keyed on and his ability to twist around is nothing like Jones has. Funny how we now have two players that equal Aaron Rodgers this year.

Aaron Jones is a better running back, right now, than Savage is a safety. And I can understand the argument that Jones is more critical to the team's success.

But as an asset, Savage's value is a lot greater. The league has demonstrated a much greater willingness to pay safeties, indicating a higher positional value. He's also still very inexpensive. At RB, there are 6 players who stand head and shoulders above the rest of the league in terms of AAV, and Jones is one of them.

So being older, of a lower positional value, and more expensive, I wouldn't include Jones on my list. But I think he's the perfect player to illustrate the difference between how good a player is and what their actual value is within the league.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd replace Jenkins with Kenny Clark. Interior OL is not a valuable position as any player not a turnstile is adequate. If Jenkins kicks outside long term, then he can return to this list.

Unless you're a 10+ sack guy, the value of good iOL and good iDL is basically comparable.

The big factor here is cost. Jenkins carried a cap hit of about 4M over the next two seasons combined. Clark's will be around 27M.

So if age, positional value, control, etc. is basically comparable, but one player costs about 1/7th of the other, I think that makes it clear who holds the greater value.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When I think of the list and the criteria, I think one of the most important attributes is who can win a game on their own. Everyone above deserves to be on the list. If I am creating the list with Love as the QB (or any rookie QB), I am putting Mason Crosby out there because his leg will determine the outcome of more games than usual.

I think of it much more in terms of what the team could get for said player if they wanted to make a trade.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m reading between the lines and those categories as a composite speaks of “value”.

1. J’aire Alexander. What can you say? He’s got the best punch in the league and he’s got swagger. If Stokes transitions opposite J’aire, GB will be near lethal in the backfield.. with a fractional cost.
2. Rashan Gary Players who come into the league as College Juniors normally need time. I think Rashan (44.4% snaps in 2020) now has that time. He would flourish if trusted with a 75%+ snap count in 2021 (think older Peppers type production with GB) We have to find a way to get our best talent on the field simultaneously. This reminds me much of the dilemma of Clay, Perry and Peppers. Once they used all 3 mid season 2014? that Defense flourished.
3. Aaron Jones is not just a RB. He’s become a dual threat Receiver/RB and he’s a key component in MLF Offense that ranked #1 in 2020. At $12mil he’s a good value and anytime he’s on the field he has to be accounted for by our opponent.
4. Elgton Jenkins was a steal in the 2019 draft at #44. He likely goes top 20 in a draft do-over. He transitioned instantly as a talented, reliable, versatile, young and cheap OL. Listed as a Center out of MS State, he can play any position on the OL effectively.
5. AJ Dillon is about to give his draft naysayers a reason to apologize. He’s shown glimpses of greatness in just a pretty limited Rookie season. What really impressed me was his poise against a very well-rounded and physical Tampa Bay front 7.
If his Receiving game develops some he could go full throttle in this system. If he eventually earns a #1 spot, he’s a 1000+ Runner.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Yes. That’s #45 Devin White that got steamrolled.

I'm also bullish on A.J. Dillon, but I don't agree at all that he's a top 5 value asset on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real monkey in the ranking is the crucial aspect of cost. That being a factor which is set in the original post for me personally there are some very quick and easily pegged guys to get out of the way annotated by *:

*Jaire Alexander - One of the best players on our roster period, factor in the cost it takes to have it here and he is #1 on the entire team considering all the factors IMO - but this isn't ranked after him.

*Elgton Jenkins - Sorry folks that want to pretend he needs to be a set position or a tackle or whatever else has been said. This dude can literally start anywhere along the line and deliver on a rookie deal. We don't have a single other lineman on either side of the ball that offers the versatility to start in this league for the price like him.

Then my other 3, in no particular order

Aaron Jones - He is on here even with the cost factored in because this is my 2021 list and his hit is a mere $4.46M according to Spotrac this year. I know some money gymnastics and it isn't his cost average, but to have a guy hitting the cap beneath $5M this year with his skills....yes he has to be on this list. Even in 2022 his cap hit of $9M with a very disposable contract after makes him worthy of this list.

Darnell Savage - Lot of folks have already expressed and explained exactly why he deserves to be here on the list.

This final spot is tougher for me, because for 2021 Kenny Clark's hit is only $6.9M BUT unlike Jones contract it isn't as disposable till it is nearly run its course completely.....also you have a highly ascending guy like Gary to consider, but I wonder am I saying him based more on speculation about his projection than what he has delivered.....

In the end I'm going to go with

Adrian Amos - 2021 cost is very low at $5.9M and despite the bigger hit next year of nearly $12M it is very disposable should a team need to or easily could be an extension candidate depending on if we are looking at a team without a Rodgers contract and perhaps another big one or two (Adams, Preston....) It is tough to try and have the safety play we have between him and Savage for literally less than $10M...I mean truly that is insane.

I gotta give an honorable mention for best bang for the dollar to Krys Barnes and Allen Lazard - to get the seasons out of Lazard or starting caliber play from Barnes for less than $1M is something rather incredible.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Ability
-Position
-Control

1. Jaire Alexander:

2. Elgton Jenkins:

3. Rashan Gary:

4. Darnell Savage:

5. David Bakhtiari:

Thanks Dantes for putting this together. I agree with your assessment. What surprised me the most was the number of very young players on the list. You have to get a little lucky that even these high draft choices (Bakhtiari excluded) will become impact players, but wow, the Packers sure have their share. It also shows when the Packers are going to have to pay up for this talent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah there's always gonna be someone left off who should be on the list. Jones is one of them.

Reaction score
I'm also bullish on A.J. Dillon, but I don't agree at all that he's a top 5 value asset on the roster.
I think AJ will outperform peak Eddie Lacy very soon. I know I know the argument that RB isn’t a premier position. But in this Offense it’s more weighted (no pun). I believe Dillon would rush for 1000+ as a #1RB in this Offense this season. Obviously Aaron Jones is our man, but we are about to witness the best 1-2 punch at RB in maybe Packer history.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think AJ will outperform peak Eddie Lacy very soon. I know I know the argument that RB isn’t a premier position. But in this Offense it’s more weighted (no pun). I believe Dillon would rush for 1000+ as a #1RB in this Offense this season. Obviously Aaron Jones is our man, but we are about to witness the best 1-2 punch at RB in maybe Packer history.
Recency bias. Stat wise? Maybe because of 17 games but Taylor/Hornung, Lane/Brockington, Bennett/Levens would do well in this scheme.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right. Players who have to block guys like Aaron Donald are not valuable at all.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Right. Players who have to block guys like Aaron Donald are not valuable at all.
STOP putting words in my mouth. They have lesser value to the team overall than say a top flight QB or CB. Aaron Donald is one in 32. You aren't playing him every week. There are ways to scheme around him when you do play him. His teammates still give up more chunk plays than he individually makes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, Horning wouldn't a RB in this scheme/the modern NFL. He'd be the jet motion guy.
Agreed. It's kind of hard imagining the teams from that era running jet motion/sweeps because they were so much slower than today's players. Still, it would have worked because everyone would have the same handicap re: speed. It's kinda fun to imagine Hornung running that play. Or imagine Gale Sayers running it. Even then, he was certainly NOT a guy handicapped by lack of speed or agility. Not that Sayers needed any more ways to tear through a defense. Same for Walter Payton. (And no, I'm not a Bears fan!)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STOP putting words in my mouth. They have lesser value to the team overall than say a top flight QB or CB. Aaron Donald is one in 32. You aren't playing him every week. There are ways to scheme around him when you do play him. His teammates still give up more chunk plays than he individually makes.
Yeah you were just keeping to the topic of the thread, most valuable player other than Rodgers. I mean we haven't gotten past one page yet and comments are wandering.

As for the topic, I'd go with Alexander on D and Jenkins on O. Bakhtiari seems obvious but without an elite QB to block for, his talent is sort of wasted, and I'm assuming Rodgers won't be back. As for Jenkins, his value is in his versatility anywhere on the O line.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that when you look at it as speed-relative-to-players-of-that-era.....guys like Hornung would have succeeded now because he was faster than the competition back then and would be now.

He would also be chugging beers with Bakhtiari at Bucks games instead of just at The Left Guard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that when you look at it as speed-relative-to-players-of-that-era.....guys like Hornung would have succeeded now because he was faster than the competition back then and would be now.

He would also be chugging beers with Bakhtiari at Bucks games instead of just at The Left Guard.
Oh yeah. Hornung would go chug for chug with Bakhtiari!

Members online

Latest posts