Packers claim Sam Ficken off waivers

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we should take this as a sign that the front office is considering moving on from Crosby.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if I can take a guy seriously when his name is Ficken...

D

Deleted member 6794

I hoped the Packers would be serious about bringing in competition for Crosby. Ficken doesn't strike me as a true challenge for Mason though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be more of a wake-up call for Crosby to get his **** together rather than actual competition. Ficken is with his 5th team since he originally came to the NFL in 2016, I find it hard to believe he'll gain traction here. If Crosby has another down year however, I could see Gute giving him a 1 year prove it deal or taking a serious shot to replace him in 2020. Rodrigo Blankenship out of UGA will be a K to look for in the 2020 Draft early on Day 3.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Crosby has another down year however, I could see Gute giving him a 1 year prove it deal or taking a serious shot to replace him in 2020.

The Packers should have gotten rid of Crosby years ago, why do you think it would be a smart idea to give him another contract if he has another down year???

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lack of replacements. I'm not sure who is a FA next year but we obviously don't want to do any worse either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lack of replacements. I'm not sure who is a FA next year but we obviously don't want to do any worse either.

The Packers most likely would have done better over the past few years by having an undrafted free agent kicking for them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Crosby, but personally I wouldn't be mad even if GB went after the best leg in the draft this year and said bye....I was for cutting him months ago.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we should take this as a sign that the front office is considering moving on from Crosby.

Really?

I think Ficken be in camp to compete, but I'd give Crosby the early edge.

I'm not going to read too much into this, Crosby's had camp competition before.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, a guy who's never lasted an entire season on an NFL roster in years is suddenly going to supplant a kicker who's been on the same team since 2007? I admire Gute for trying though, but to me this is more of a wake-up call that the axe could be coming down soon. I look at it the same way McCarthy got a 1 year extension 2 seasons ago.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers most likely would have done better over the past few years by having an undrafted free agent kicking for them.
Yeah, his record is not very impressive. His highlight is an 83% FG make percent as a senior at Penn State in 2014, hitting 8 of 9 from 40-49 yards and 1-2 from 50+. Overall, his college make percent was 72%. He's been kicking around for 4 years and yet to land a job other than as Zuerlein's injury replacement where he had a couple of short misses in that 3 of 6 record.

I don't recall which years the Packers brought a second kicker to camp except for 2013. In that camp they brought in Tavecchio following Crosby's terrible 2012 season. That move evidently got Crosby's attention since he followed that camp with his best year.

LaFleur would have briefly rubbed elbows with Ficken in LA in 2017, so that might have something to do with it.

With a new ST regime, there may be a plan to do more work than in the past on kick returns with a need for a second leg.

Here's the thing about kickers and punters coming to Green Bay. If you are a UDFA with interest from multiple teams the northern outdoor stadium teams are going to be at the bottom of the list. Competing with a vet who has been mostly reliable compounds the problem. If you want a top kicking prospect out of this draft class you probably have to draft him.

Crosby hit on 81% of his FGs last season, on par with his career average. Excluding that inexplicable 1-5 brain fart in Detroit that cost the game, in a dome no less, he hit 91% with 5-7 from 50+.

The argument to move on from Crosby is the $3.45 mil in cap savings if cut, assuming the $150,000 workout bonus is or will be a sunk cost. Signing a vet with a decent resume would defeat the purpose. If the Packers are serious about replacing Crosby and they don't draft a guy, figure Ficken is going to have to come out firing on all cylinders or there will be another guy coming in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given Ficken's history, I wouldn't take it as much of anything other than a camp body, who in my opinion is a long shot. As HRE pointed out, the Packers best chance at replacing Crosby is probably by spending a late round pick on a top college kicker. Much like they did last year with their punter, JK Scott.

I hoped the Packers would be serious about bringing in competition for Crosby. Ficken doesn't strike me as a true challenge for Mason though.
Come on man, you are getting your wish....change is coming. ;)

I am kind of excited about the possibility of saying "Man, what a Ficken great kick that was!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's tough to argue though with Crosby's make percentage since 2011 in the playoffs.....

If you're telling me the guy is going to hit on ~95% of his kicks in the playoffs, he stays. Problem is you can't guarantee that, but his playoff kicking has been absolutely superb. We don't win some of them games without his right foot.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also add one of my biggest beefs with Crosby is I feel we can get the same from a stud on rookie contract....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's tough to argue though with Crosby's make percentage since 2011 in the playoffs.....

If you're telling me the guy is going to hit on ~95% of his kicks in the playoffs, he stays. Problem is you can't guarantee that, but his playoff kicking has been absolutely superb. We don't win some of them games without his right foot.
Some might argue that we first have to get back to making the playoffs and some might say, Crosby's salary and regular season play is one of the things stopping us from doing that. ;)

I'd also add one of my biggest beefs with Crosby is I feel we can get the same from a stud on rookie contract....

We could get the same, better or worse. No real guarantees with what you are going to get, especially when it comes to rookies. I definitely can see the cost savings of cutting Crosby and going with a rookie, so I am all in favor of trying to find a guy who does the same or better job, at a reduced price. But if a change is made, I am fully prepared for the worse, same, better scenario.

Give me a reliable guy at a reasonable price and I will be happy. I don't really care what name he has on the back of his jersey.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Some might argue that we first have to get back to making the playoffs and some might say, Crosby's salary and regular season play is one of the things stopping us from doing that. ;)
His salary isn't stopping the Packers from getting to the playoffs.

Members online