Packers and Aaron Rodgers agree on 3 yr 150 mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in my mind.
Next 9ers playoff game I am getting into a boat, find an island that is not on any maps and stay there until it is over.
I will be happy because I spent the time in a warm, tropical paradise instead of another cold, blah Wisconsin winter to have the salt of a loss rubbed into the wounds.
One out of two won't be so bad.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who thought the Packers were trading a back to back MVP was being naive and looking through a myopic lens.

Rodgers is the Packers meal ticket. Much like he was Teds. Even when TT was running the team into the ground Rodgers carried the team and TT, and MM for that matter, got to stick around much longer than they deserved.
Totally agree about Thompson and McCarthy

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in my mind.
You naysayers are f‘n hilarious. He’s the damned MVP 2 years running. Has he made mistakes? yep. But clearly not as many as most of the other Qbs in the league. does he bear some responsibility for the loss against San Fran ? yep. 31 teams lose every year. Including some very good teams. Winning the Super bowl even with a great team is the exception not the other way around. I haven‘t made it any secret that I think he can be a real pain in the ***… but anyone that thinks that the odds for the Packers in the next 5 years are better for the Packers without him is delusional.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love is same age (within 6 months) of a handful of QB top prospects in this upcoming draft and is younger than Pickett! He's already got 2 yrs of NFL coaching & experience vs. their zero years. His story is still in chapter one, let's see his trade value next March before calling this 23 year old late 1st round pick a bust.
If Love is traded, it will be for a second. I could see Washington as a possibility

Reaction score
No they did not...apparently Rodgers claims the report of the an extension is inaccurate
I saw that. I’m hoping it’s a bit more reasonable. The guy is worth it in a perfect world, but compared to other deals for his age, injury and contract term factors that report is 6-7M yearly high

Not to miss the big picture glad the book isn’t closed. We’ve got a few Chapters to Write. Let’s make the ending count!

Reaction score
I didn't say that he ALWAYS makes it to the Super Bowl when playing on the road. My point is that he could only make it to the Super Bowl when he had 3 road games. He has never done it while having one or more home playoff games.
I was just going to mention that 2010 was much about the Defense. Go back and look at that group we didn’t really have any weaknesses.

The 2010 Defense ranked #2 in scoring. They allowed just 1 team to score over 26pts all season long (@Patriots-31pts). That Defense held 6 of our 16 opponents to 7 points or less.

Our Offense scored just 24.3 points per game regular season which is one of the lowest totals by an Aaron Rodgers led team before or since.

Our 2010 Defense allowed just 15.0 points per game regular season. If there was any doubt about their production, they then finished by holding 4 playoff caliber teams to 19.0pts/GM average. 17pts per on the road

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll be interested to see how Seattle fares over the next 3-4 years vs. “us” as they go down “the road not taken”.
Yes, it will.

Our 2010 Defense allowed just 15.0 points per game regular season. If there was any doubt about their production, they then finished by holding 4 playoff caliber teams to 19.0pts/GM average. 17pts per on the road
Amazing that such a good defense was followed by such a lousy one the following year. I know we lost Nick Collins, but still.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it will.

Amazing that such a good defense was followed by such a lousy one the following year. I know we lost Nick Collins, but still.
The loss of Collins was huge but I don’t think it would have made a huge impact.

The real problem was lack of pass rush. They had Clay Matthews on one side but nothing else to offer on the other. The year before they at least had Cullen Jenkins who was a phenom of a pass rusher at 5T. Even then they got a lot of help from Raji in the pass rush department.

TT miscalculated that Neal would step in and have a seamless transition from Jenkins. Instead Neal struggled as much to stay on the field as he did maintaining his weight.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think this means for sure Cobb is going to sit down and restructure/cut his deal, Crosby will do similar I bet, Big Dog will be here and don't be shocked if a guy like Mercilus signs back and few others.

The Packers won't be able to create a meaningful amount of cap space by restructuring the contracts of Crosby and Lewis. It's possible both of them won't be with the team in 2022.

Of course GB hangs onto Jordan Love... he's only 23 years old, will be in the QB room with AR & Clements, and will have another year to mature & learn. If/when he shows progress think about trading him next year for a 1st or 2nd rounder. No harm in giving him ample PT in training camp, showcasing him, and having him available in case of an AR injury.

Most likely, with Rodgers back Love won't get the chance to showcase his progress next season.

This past season was probably the best D AR will have while he's still here...time to revert back to high scoring games w/ the pressure on AR to score 35 every game.

As long as the Packers have better luck with injuries I believe the defense could even improve over last year's performance. With a lot of uncertainty about how the roster will look like in September I admit it's too early to make an educated guess about it though.

Not in my mind.

It's hilarious that you truly believe the Packers would have had a better chance of winning the Super Bowl over the next few years by getting rid of the reigning MVP.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would it be a coincidence? Denver waited for Rodgers decision, when they found out he wasn't available, they moved on Wilson.
Denver got the better QB for their future imo. Our loss imo.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but then who is our backup to Rodgers? Kurt Benkert? This isn't a very stellar QB draft class and the list of current FA QBs is underwhelming.

Most likely if you traded Love, Benkert plus a low level FA or a Day 2 or Day 3/UDFA addition to the QB room happens.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT was consistently 20m UNDER the cap...and that was due to his draft and develop idea that never bore much in the way of fruit.
Yes, most of the time TT was allergic to FAs and now that Gute got the FAs so many fans were clamoring for when TT was running the show are now unhappy we are over the cap?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the team looks anything like it did last year, I don't think it will matter who the backup is. If Rodgers goes down for any extended period of time, the season is going down with him. However, if Love's development takes another step or 2 forward, you have a relatively cheap backup QB for 2 more years. A guy that is very familiar with the system and can jump right in for a half or 2. Add to this that the Packers cap situation doesn't warrant doing anything more at the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT was consistently 20m UNDER the cap...and that was due to his draft and develop idea that never bore much in the way of fruit.

Can someone provide actual reported figures that back this? I struggle to imagine we truly were operating under that much space each year consistently?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver got the better QB for their future imo. Our loss imo.
Do you believe Wilson is better than AR? Rodgers carried mediocre teams during MM's last few seasons where Wilson has not. Wilson's biggest asset is his feet and his ability to escape the pass rush and extend plays. He's gonna be 34 this season. He won't be this nimble and elusive for long.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can someone provide actual reported figures that back this? I struggle to imagine we truly were operating under that much space each year consistently?
All I can remember is that we had cap space under TT, but we also shoved it forward to the next season. I can't remember how much you can shove forward, but it isn't unlimited. $20M sounds awfully high.

I know from this article, that in 2015, they were only $7M under. In 2016...they had $20M before Free agency and the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hunch is the $20M figure was an exaggeration of how we consistently had a decent amount or some to rollover.

Status
Not open for further replies.