Packers and Aaron Rodgers agree on 3 yr 150 mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love is traded, it will be for a second. I could see Washington as a possibility
Can cross Washington off the list now, as they are trading for Wentz...but perhaps that would open up Indy as a possibility? If I remember correctly, they were interested in him prior to us drafting him...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Love is back in Green Bay for one more year - Unless someone makes a crazy offer for him (pretty unlikely).
Tampa, Steelers, Indy & Carolina are still without much at QB...crazier things have happened than one of them offering 2 & 5 for a backup QB?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but then who is our backup to Rodgers? Kurt Benkert? This isn't a very stellar QB draft class and the list of current FA QBs is underwhelming.

For a 1st id trade him for a 2nd i probably would for a 3rd i might do it. But anything less than that and id rather keep him as the backup

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No if Aaron and Adams are back this is a 10 win team I believe no matter how many cuts we have to do (within reason of course) and most likely will win division again.
Yep, if winning the wimpy NFCN is the goal, this is an awesome deal. If winning the SB is the goal, not so much.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS & Lazard's best roles are as the #4 option... right now GB still needs to find a true #2 (hopefully work way into #1 role) & a solid TE that doesn't cost in excess of $3mil/yr (don't believe Tonyan will be an option).
It doesn't matter who they draft/sign/whatever at receiver. Adams will always, ALWAYS be Rodgers #1,#2 and #3 options, and that's not good.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The loss of Collins was huge but I don’t think it would have made a huge impact.

The real problem was lack of pass rush. They had Clay Matthews on one side but nothing else to offer on the other. The year before they at least had Cullen Jenkins who was a phenom of a pass rusher at 5T. Even then they got a lot of help from Raji in the pass rush department.

TT miscalculated that Neal would step in and have a seamless transition from Jenkins. Instead Neal struggled as much to stay on the field as he did maintaining his weight.
I believe that was also the year that genius Capers decided to move Raji out of the nose tackle position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone provide actual reported figures that back this? I struggle to imagine we truly were operating under that much space each year consistently?
That's because we weren't 20 M under the cap.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who they draft/sign/whatever at receiver. Adams will always, ALWAYS be Rodgers #1,#2 and #3 options, and that's not good.
I hope that changes. He needs to realize that you can have tunnel vision with the lesser teams and during the regular season, but come playoff time, they are better Ds and the better teams step it up a notch. And you have to practice spreading it around much earlier than when the playoffs start. You can't just all of a sudden change.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that changes. He needs to realize that you can have tunnel vision with the lesser teams and during the regular season, but come playoff time, they are better Ds and the better teams step it up a notch. And you have to practice spreading it around much earlier than when the playoffs start. You can't just all of a sudden change.
I disagree. Ive said it numerous times. In the playoffs defenses get away with more. Players are able to hold more, interfere more, etc... The NFL doesnt want flag fests on its biggest stage. Whats better is to see offensive players make plays.

We saw in the 2020 season playoffs against the Buccs that hw was willing to spread the ball around but Lazard stunk it up. He got outmuscled for an INT on what would have been PI in the regular season. He ducked a ball on an RPO that would have been a TD. He screwed up a pick route that would have given Adams a TD. Gotta get better receivers than what we have put out there to win a SB.

It shouldnt come as a surprise that in that season the Buccs felt they needed just one more piece on offense so they sign AB who plays very well in that SB. The following year the Rams felt the same about OBJ this past year who also played well for them before getting hurt. Both scored in their respective SBs... But for whatever reason it does come to a surprise to Packers fans that we struggle in the playoffs with poor receivers. Always blame the QB and not the one assembling the team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. Ive said it numerous times. In the playoffs defenses get away with more. Players are able to hold more, interfere more, etc... The NFL doesnt want flag fests on its biggest stage. Whats better is to see offensive players make plays.
You disagree but the result is basically the same. Because Adams cannot do it by himself.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We saw in the 2020 season playoffs against the Buccs that hw was willing to spread the ball around but Lazard stunk it up. He got outmuscled for an INT on what would have been PI in the regular season. He ducked a ball on an RPO that would have been a TD. He screwed up a pick route that would have given Adams a TD. Gotta get better receivers than what we have put out there to win a SB.
I like Lazard but like I said you can't just do it one or two times during the regular season and then expect it to work in the playoffs when it is needed and you have to do it.

Reaction score
I am very curious if one segment of the Rodgers deal is him getting a small voice in the draft. While I’m normally not a big proponent of a QB getting involved, my gut tells me that Rodgers opinion mattering on a particular Offensive weapon may press him to utilize said weapon to show validity of his opinion on a attaining a particular player. That goes with this conversation. On #1’s and #4’s and TE’s receiving options. He may have minor say so in the Offense area.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we use 1 of our first 2 draft selections for a receiving weapon, possibly even scaling up the board to land our guy. We’ve been historically successful in the Round 2 draft area at Receiver, yet it’s unheard of in GB to go WR out of the gate. Imagine moving up some Round 1 or 2 to kinda makeup for lost time.

Last edited:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You disagree but the result is basically the same. Because Adams cannot do it by himself.
I agree on the result. But in your OP you wanted Rodgers to spread it around and when you dont have the talent to spread it around you go to your best player.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had a CRAZY thought to throw out there. AR said that he's playing or the Packers next year, and that he hasn't signed a new contract. What if... AR has agreed to move $26Mil of his guaranteed base salary to '23 to reduce his cap hit in '22 to $1.5Mil and this is truly the Last Dance in '22? Maybe he only wants to play one more year, hopefully land another SB trophy, and retire a one-team HOF'r?

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had a CRAZY thought to throw out there. AR said that he's playing or the Packers next year, and that he hasn't signed a new contract. What if... AR has agreed to move $26Mil of his guaranteed base salary to '23 to reduce his cap hit in '22 to $1.5Mil and this is truly the Last Dance in '22? Maybe he only wants to play one more year, hopefully land another SB trophy, and retire a one-team HOF'r?
He’s has to carry a minimum of 20M this year. They can’t reduce it any lower than that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe, but then who is our backup to Rodgers? Kurt Benkert? This isn't a very stellar QB draft class and the list of current FA QBs is underwhelming.

There's no way the Packers should enter the season with Benkert as their backup. They would have to make a move for one if they end up trading Love.

All I can remember is that we had cap space under TT, but we also shoved it forward to the next season. I can't remember how much you can shove forward, but it isn't unlimited. $20M sounds awfully high.

Actually there's no limit on how much cap space a team can carry over into next season.

Rodgers targeted someone else than Adams on 70.4% of his throws last season. Yet you make it sound he would throw it to #17 at that percentage.

As mentioned in another thread I fully expect Rodgers' base salary to be at $1.12 million in 2022 to save close to $20 million in cap space for next season.

Reaction score
Has the deal been consummated yet?

Has anyone seen verifiable terms or even partial terms of an inked contract?

I’m asking because Rodgers insinuated he hadn’t actually formally signed (but did commit) and I’m curious what the final average salary and guaranteed is?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m asking because Rodgers insinuated he hadn’t actually formally signed (but did commit) and I’m curious what the final average salary and guaranteed is?

I have not.

My hunch is it is going to be VERY close to the minimum they can scalp his 2022 hit to which is rumored to be a round $20M. The structure of the future years and guaranteed money plus what roster moves any of them allow (something Pat stressed for Aaron seems to be a BIG priority in this deal) to do is what is holding up the announcement of details.

Reaction score
I have not.

My hunch is it is going to be VERY close to the minimum they can scalp his 2022 hit to which is rumored to be a round $20M. The structure of the future years and guaranteed money plus what roster moves any of them allow (something Pat stressed for Aaron seems to be a BIG priority in this deal) to do is what is holding up the announcement of details.
Sounds crafty. So Paying #12 slightly more than normal but giving him assurances through guaranteed so he can’t become a massive cap casualty anytime soon (comparatively, but larger scale, of what is transpiring at OLB with ZaDarius).

Is your guess that the Average annual is a smidge less than the initially advertised $50m?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good question. His insinuation is obvious. What he said is a formality. He knew he had to go in one direction because the Packers would need time to do their other work by March 16. No one has been specific on any details and may not for another week or so. But I take it he has to have something official in writing by the drop dead date.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last summer AR was considering retirement prior to renegotiating his contract (voiding '23) & returning to GB. Per Pat McAfee AR once again strongly considered retirement earlier this month. Negotiation tactic? Maybe. AR really, seriously considering being done, soon? Maybe. Unless Gute received a serious 2, or 3, or 4 year commitment from AR I hope any new contract does NOT contain significant guaranteed $$$, as WHEN AR retires all guaranteed/dead money hits the next year's cap. I hope large amounts of pay is tied to roster bonuses which only hit the cap IF paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online