Packers 2022-2023 Season Review: What was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were times this year where he was just off. Nobody knows for sure that injuries didn't play a part all season. He was off before the broken thumb. I would think getting older will have some effect on his throwing shoulder/ collarbone.

Reaction score
Plus they will have a tougher schedule than us next year.
Yea.
We finished with the 8th toughest SOS.

Only 2 teams who qualified for the playoffs had a tougher SOS than the Packers .524. Only Miami .537 in the AFC and the Giants .526 in the NFC can assert that they played a tougher overall schedule. Ironically both played the Packers and we actually lowered their final SOS rating. Not a coincidence that they were 2 teams that also played tough against formidable competition this weekend

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Good:

For the most part Special Teams improved and wasn't the biggest weakness of the team.

The Bad:

Both the offense and defense sputtered like a truck that needed a really good tune up. The Packers still are fooling themselves that they have a good receiver room and that Joe Barry is a good DC.

The Ugly:

The 4 game winning streak at end of the season, only served to get some fans hopes up. Instead, Joe Barry is still the DC, we didn't get a good look at Jordan Love and the Packers are picking 15th in each round that they have a pick in.

Reaction score
Offense:
It’s not just the absence of talent that is causing problems imo.
It’s the play calling and down n distance opportunities. Clock mismanagement and not utilizing probability very well. In addition we largely ignore the facets of our game that should be a strength. Why have the specialty H-Back if we’re going to largely ignore the Running game. Just line up a traditional TE that can either block, chip or roll into a short yardage option of he’s not covered up (or there’s no perimeter D stunt). Give me a dynamic TE that can block n catch and let’s quit trying to be so sophisticated that we outsmart us.

That said we are 1 superior RT and 1 Quality Receiver (plus relative growth for young players) away from our Engine firing properly. Nijman is somewhere between a Serviceable starter and great Backup. We can’t continue to dinker around on our Tackle Bookends. Protecting #12 has to be numero dos behind numero uno (retaining #12). Id treat Tom like young Bak. He needs 10-15lb of added muscle and maybe move him to RG. He can be a Short term OT alternative along with Nij.

Defense: We’re also 1 higher quality rotational Edge player (either brought in or internally rising) Hollins or Enagbare aren’t fully there yet. We need 3 in case a Rashan scenario happens and to mitigate dropoff in Pass Rush production in our reg. rotation.

Our CB situation isn’t bad, but it’s not ideal. We took Rasul out of the Slot once Stokes went down. He’s best suited in that Slot role. He’s beef upfront to support the Run and he’s aggressive and physical off LOS. His claim to fame isn’t covering dynamic WR past 25+ yards. It’s using his aggressive nature and ball instincts covering TE or RB who float out for a pass. If they don’t he’s good at sniffing out plays Behind LOS.

I understand We have a unique Safety position. SS, FS and Darnell (WS) weak safety that we’re stuck with. I’d find his replacement and move him to ST as a holder..holding Nixons drink! Go get a bonafide Safety already we made a mistake. Doesn’t mean we need to play that mistake. Make Savage earn his playtime or cut him. Savage 1 INT was purely a lucky bounce credited to Rasul! Nice run though! Maybe try him at PR. Force him to play front n center or he’ll continue to fade into the background by default. It’s who he is. I’d rather have M.D. Jennings most days!
Savage
1INT;
5PD
2TFL
0 sacks
0 FF
0 QB hits
43 solo tackles
in 820 snaps!

Amos pedestrian season
1INT/1TD (deflection into his bread basket)
5PD
7TFL
1 Sack
0 FF
2 QB hits
73 Solo
In 977 snaps.

ST.
Coverage unit needs work. But the FG is vastly improved. Also our KR/PR is great. Best I’ve seen since the 1996-97 SB.

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Good:

For the most part Special Teams improved and wasn't the biggest weakness of the team.

The Bad:

Both the offense and defense sputtered like a truck that needed a really good tune up. The Packers still are fooling themselves that they have a good receiver room and that Joe Barry is a good DC.

The Ugly:

The 4 game winning streak at end of the season, only served to get some fans hopes up. Instead, Joe Barry is still the DC, we didn't get a good look at Jordan Love and the Packers are picking 15th in each round that they have a pick in.
Makes me really sad to know JB will be there again. Knowing that and knowing the draft position may only be mid-rounders for every selection is really ******* depressing. This was IMO a wasted season. The only thing positive is I got to see them own the bears and dominate the queens at home.

D

Deleted member 6794

There were times this year where he was just off. Nobody knows for sure that injuries didn't play a part all season. He was off before the broken thumb. I would think getting older will have some effect on his throwing shoulder/ collarbone.

Rodgers played significantly better over the first five games (67.9% completion percentage, 8 TD, 3 INT) before suffering a thumb injury on the last play vs. the Giants than he did afterwards (63.1%, 18 TD, 9 INT).

The Ugly:

The 4 game winning streak at end of the season, only served to get some fans hopes up.

I won't complain about a winning streak. It was fun while it lasted.

I understand We have a unique Safety position. SS, FS and Darnell (WS) weak safety that we’re stuck with. I’d find his replacement and move him to ST as a holder..holding Nixons drink! Go get a bonafide Safety already we made a mistake. Doesn’t mean we need to play that mistake. Make Savage earn his playtime or cut him.

It doesn't make any sense to cut Savage as the Packers need to pay him anyway. He needs to earn playing time though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The Good:
I liked the tandem of Jones and Dillion. I wished we would have stuck with the run more at times. Been a little more creative with both of them on the field. Not saying all the time. I get guys need a break. I liked the rookie WRs in Watson and Doubs. Both were up and down at times, but the potential is there for them to be long term playmakers in our offense. I also thought Bakh and Jenkins both improved as the season went on and got over their injuries. Gary was a stud while he was healthy. Walker improved as well. We all know he just needs to work on emotional control. Crosby and Nixon helped the special teams out. Overall, I also thought it was a really good draft. There is talent on this team.
The Bad:
Consistency on both side of the ball. I agree with @OldSchool101 on safety play. Savage was pretty awful. I know at one point he was ranked 32 out of 32 safeties in the league. I said this at the beginning of the season, but our TEs are just bad. I get everyone loves Lewis and his blocking ability, but he brings next to nothing in the passing game. He had 6 total catches on the season. Tonyan is barely serviceable. Had a few nice plays down the stretch, but is not a threat. They need to shore that position up. Look what Hockinson did for MN. I get great TEs don't grow on trees. However, this has to be one of the weakest positions on the team. Guard play at times was also pretty bad. Runyan is just not good. While I do like a lot of our players on the line, the guard position could be upgraded. While Campbell and Douglas both splashed last year they both seemed to regress a bit. Their fine players, just not what we thought we had found. I'd like to see another ILB to shore things up.

Both sides of the ball have talent. Both sides need some guys to fill a few holes. The team ended with the record it earned. They were just an okay team.

Krabs

Reaction score
One guy I forgot to mention was Lowry. I read that in 2021 he had 42 QB pressures. This season he had 17. I've never understood how this guy stuck around so long. Watching him get whooped on most plays got really old. I'm hopeful that the Packers will void his contract and we won't have to see him in a Packers uniform again. Also, I felt that when Wyatt, Slaton and Reed started eating up his snaps after injury the defense got better. Put Lowry in the bad category for me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One guy I forgot to mention was Lowry. I read that in 2021 he had 42 QB pressures. This season he had 17. I've never understood how this guy stuck around so long. Watching him get whooped on most plays got really old. I'm hopeful that the Packers will void his contract and we won't have to see him in a Packers uniform again. Also, I felt that when Wyatt, Slaton and Reed started eating up his snaps after injury the defense got better. Put Lowry in the bad category for me.
Agreed. That was a situation of the Packers not having anyone besides Clark, adequate enough to start on the DL and being forced to overpay for Lowery, someone they thought was on the rise. They guessed wrong, couldn't draft a replacement (until maybe Wyatt) and got stuck with him.

I definitely would void his contract, unless they can figure out a way to pay him backup money and fold the remaining $1.86M dead cap into it.

Lowery is not a starter. I am convinced of that more and more, every time I watch a good defense play. Just watching Dallas last night, they didn't sack Brady all that much, but they were always in his face, getting a ton of pressure on him, the Packers need a much better DL and better pressure by accompanying blitzes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I won't complain about a winning streak. It was fun while it lasted.
Short term gain, for a long term loss, in my opinion. Reminds me of a general throwing everything he has into a battle. Winning a few, but in the end failing and not having anything to show for it.

Personally, I would have rather seen them finish 4-13, have the 2nd 3rd or 4th pick in every round (not sure how tie breaker with Bears and Cardinals would have been). Played Love for the final 5 games, as well as a mix of other young guys.

Some here call that "tanking". I call it looking at things for what they really are and thinking long term, instead of short term.

Krabs

Reaction score
Short term gain, for a long term loss, in my opinion. Reminds me of a general throwing everything he has into a battle. Winning a few, but in the end failing and not having anything to show for it.

Personally, I would have rather seen them finish 4-13, have the 2nd 3rd or 4th pick in every round (not sure how tie breaker with Bears and Cardinals would have been). Played Love for the final 5 games, as well as a mix of other young guys.

Some here call that "tanking". I call it looking at things for what they really are and thinking long term, instead of short term.
Except the war is the season, not the next season, that's a different war with so many different variables it hardly matters.

adopt a loser mentality, see how that fairs for you the next season
Yeah, it is so hard to sit through that as a fan. I get the idea of loading up on high draft picks. I think that hurts the morale department and free agency in terms of where player want to play. Sure, money talks, but they also want to play for winners. Also, I think Herm Edwards summed it up the best. You play to win the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it is so hard to sit through that as a fan. I get the idea of loading up on high draft picks. I think that hurts the morale department and free agency in terms of where player want to play. Sure, money talks, but they also want to play for winners. Also, I think Herm Edwards summed it up the best. You play to win the game.
Exactly, you don't invite a loser mentality into your team unless you like to lose. Which it's apparent some fans don't like winning. We had a young team all over and it would have been best to teach them, it's ok to lose because we're not going to win anyway. Don't rise up in the face of a challenge. Lay down. Lose. Listen team, when faced with adversity, just accept that you're not that good and it's better to pack it in for next time... Or we realize you're trying your best, but we're not going to stand beside you with our best game plans and players on the field because we're not interested in winning... We're just here for the better draft pick. See how that mentality works out for you "in the war" LOL

We want a better draft pick because picking higher always works out.

I may not agree with Gutey all the time, but he's picked up THREE ****ing all pro players in 2 offseasons without a high draft pick. He's picked some fine players in addition to those additions. He doesn't need a top 5 pick and quite frankly, I don't want to pay one of those either.

You're always striving to get better and that includes with the players you have right here and now. I'm proud of those guys. I'm disappointed, but I also enjoyed watching them not quit when everyone was giving up on them.

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense to cut Savage as the Packers need to pay him anyway. He needs to earn playing time though.
Very True. I’d use Savage on ST until he can prove he’s worthy. Unfortunately he’s just not consistently good. There comes a time when you pull a player and I don’t care if he’s making Bill Gates look poor. Would you put Bill Gates in there at Safety?!
So yes. Shame on Savage for not playing anywhere close to expectation. More so.. Shame on us for allowing it to continue over $$. I’m not sure what’s more disappointing there. Would we date someone who just continually disappointed and looked ugly?! What’s the difference. Lol
Agreed. That was a situation of the Packers not having anyone besides Clark, adequate enough to start on the DL and being forced to overpay for Lowery, someone they thought was on the rise. They guessed wrong, couldn't draft a replacement (until maybe Wyatt) and got stuck with him.

I definitely would void his contract, unless they can figure out a way to pay him backup money and fold the remaining $1.86M dead cap into it.

Lowery is not a starter. I am convinced of that more and more, every time I watch a good defense play. Just watching Dallas last night, they didn't sack Brady all that much, but they were always in his face, getting a ton of pressure on him, the Packers need a much better DL and better pressure by accompanying blitzes.
I can see that. If I was told we could have 3 substantial position upgrades next season from that 2022 season I would pick (within reason)
TE1
DL2
OL (RT/RG)

I’m also not impressed with Runyon, we need an upgrade on OL so we can mix in our running game more. Ideally we don’t wait to develop OL. Let those other current guys battle it out for top backup spots or let them earn a starting role by beating out a known veteran.
There’s guys out there like in past ala Jared Veldheer, Kelly, Turner etc.. each season looking for a new home and they don’t always require league high deals. We need to get one and structure a performance/availability based incentive contract. The Right side of our OL is a problem and it needs 1 more veteran help imo. We seam to do better veteran experience with up and coming mixed in. Let’s get back to what path works and maybe quit trying to forge a new path through the thick jungle.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can see that. If I was told we could have 3 substantial position upgrades next season from that 2022 season I would pick (within reason)
TE1
DL2
OL (RT/RG)
I think we will have some growth on the OL, not a place I would spend a day one or 2 pick. The bigger needs are definitely DL, TE and WR....IMHO of course. :)

I hope Wyatt has a significant jump in year 2, the Packers need him to. I was just ok with Reed, but I think his better days are behind him. They might be smart to try and resign either him or Lancaster for depth. Will any of the young guys (Slayton, Ford & Slaton) step up? Hopefully, but I would prefer they not rely on it and draft a Decent DL, unless they can come up with the money for a proven vet FA DL, but those get pricey.

No need to rehash TE and WR, we all know where the Packers stand in those 2 positions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except the war is the season, not the next season, that's a different war with so many different variables it hardly matters.

adopt a loser mentality, see how that fairs for you the next season
not to mention we should have gotten in

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
not to mention we should have gotten in
Into the playoffs?

After 12 games, the Packers odds of making the playoffs were at about 1%. The Packers just got a bit lucky with the right things happening with other teams, as well as their own 4 wins, to be in the position that they were in against Detroit. Not to mention, I think they would have gotten knocked out in the first round. This wasn't a very good team, no matter what you want to think. I doubt many people will look at this season as a success and remember it as "we came so close to winning it all!"

D

Deleted member 6794

One guy I forgot to mention was Lowry. I read that in 2021 he had 42 QB pressures. This season he had 17. I've never understood how this guy stuck around so long. Watching him get whooped on most plays got really old. I'm hopeful that the Packers will void his contract and we won't have to see him in a Packers uniform again.

Lowry will become an unrestricted free agent in March. There's no need for the Packers to void his contract. With that being said he will count a total of $3 million against the team's cap in 2023 because of voided years having been added to his contract last year.

That's definitely not the mentality I want the Packers to ever adopt.

They might be smart to try and resign either him or Lancaster for depth.

The Packers moved on from Lancaster after the 2021 season. Aside of being on the Raiders roster during the offseason last year he has been a free agent ever since.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's definitely not the mentality I want the Packers to ever adopt.
Just curious, if you were a Texans fan, how would you feel about the Texans winning their final game?

I understand from a fans perspective, you love to see your team win. Short term...woo-hoo!!!...lots of fun. Long term, didn't do the Texans organization any good and it might have lost them a shot at the best QB in the draft. I know you have stated stuff about "loser mentality" and not wanting that to cross into the players heads. When was the last time you thought that the Packer organization had a problem with loser mentality? Probably 1/3 of the 2022 roster won't even be on the team in 2023 and I doubt those that are, would feel that much different about a 4-13 season, as they did about an 8-9 season.

Run a simulated Mock draft or 2 with the Packers picking in the Cardinals #3 spot, make sure to use a few trade backs, you will see the value of picking #3 vs #15 in each round.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't ever really push for us to intentionally "tank" but at the same time we can also say (and of course this is in hindsight with us having failed to make the playoffs) that winning 4 of our last 5 didn't really benefit us any. I don't want to see us go out and try to lose games (or not try and win them) but at the end of the day going 4-13, 5-12 with a top-5 pick and no playoffs is almost certainly better for us than going 8-9 with the #15 pick and still no playoffs.

And as mentioned there is certainly a case to be made for giving Love more minutes to either get a better sense of what you have or just for the developmental value. If nothing else it can at least be seen as a chance to increase his trade value. Again it's in hindsight but I think the bottom line is that Rodgers or no Rodgers this was not a particularly good team and so even if Rodgers DOES give us a better chance to win...so what? At some point pragmatically I think there's more value in playing Love - even if it means missing the playoffs (and potentially improving draft position) than there is in playing Rodgers, MAYBE making the playoffs and getting quickly eliminated (and that's not a knock on Rodgers, I just don't think we were going to do much of anything in the postseason this year even if we managed to sneak in) and getting worse draft position.

Of course this also operates under the assumption that either a.) Love would not win all of the same games that Rodgers won or b.) Love would lose games that Rodgers also lost, and I don't know how true either of those things are at this point.

So, I mean, I get it. You play to win the game and if you can make the playoffs maybe you can surprise someone, and as I've said obviously hindsight is 20-20, but if I gave you at the choice at the start of the season between a.) Go 8-9, miss playoffs, pick #15 or b.) Go 5-12, miss playoffs, pick #5 - I'd be surprised if many would choose "A" and say that it's better for us if it went that way.

And when it comes to "loser mentality" frankly I'm of the mind that half this squad seems to have an issue with that in the first place, so that's nothing new. We always seem to manage to pull out a few unlikely wins but when the pressure is at its highest this team often seems so mentally weak. So I'm not really worried about giving players a "loser's mentality" when it seems to me like many of them already possess it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course this also operates under the assumption that either a.) Love would not win all of the same games that Rodgers won or b.) Love would lose games that Rodgers also lost, and I don't know how true either of those things are at this point.
Good post and this is the part that people forget. Who knows what would have happened in those 5 games with Love. He may have surprised quite a few people. Even if he improved in each game and then won his last game, while looking quite good, we would be in a better position than the "3 extra wins with Rodgers playing." I never used the word "tank", but some here love to say that, because it implies negativity. I would expect Love and every other player out there to try to win. Ultimately if they don't win more than 4 games, the Packers organization still gains quite a bit in viewing player performances and potentially better draft position to improve the future team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see my team overcome adversity, play thru it all and end the season where they end it vs hoping for a losing record and higher draft pick. Every single time.
There's nothing to say a higher draft pick benefits us anymore either. It's all hope, just like it was all hope they'd make the playoffs. Lions picked 1st how many times, did any of them even last 4 years in the league? Top 5 picks are also expensive, why do you want to pick there?

i don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy watching my team win.

They know what they know about Love and i'm pretty certain he's not going anywhere. They'll pick up his 5th year option and had planned to do so already. Regardless of benching your reigning MVP with the playoffs still on the line just so you can see the young kid. That always sends good messages to players.

Whether Love played exceptional or poorly, it wouldn't have really mattered nearly as much to the coaches and FO as it might to the fans who don't get to see him. They either believe he has the tools and needs coaching thru things, or he doesn't and a few games of experience aren't going to fix that if he doesn't have it and some field success or lack of it might have an effect on some fans angst about the situation, but it's not going to influence the coaches too much.

Just think in 2010 had they adopted some of your mentality. or the 2011 Giants. Only difference between the regular seasons with those 2 teams, GB lost early and won later. Giants won early and 2nd half of the season wen 3-5 and made it as a 9 win team to the playoffs. They should have lost to the Cowboys so they would have missed them, and got a higher draft pick LOL

Members online

Latest posts