Packers 2021 salary cap plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Lowry should be forced to take pay cut or walk...he wouldn't have much demand IMO
I was just going to add that the players who should be most concerned are those with serious ??’s. Low end starters, repeated injury history, coming off injury, having a season off, past prime position age, etc... Lowry fits in that “low-end starter” area.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't believe it is in the cba. I believe it's written into each players individual contract at least that's the way it sounds to me.

I've heard them say it on nfl radio over and over again. I heard them say it about bakh. But they could definitely still be wrong I just don't think so.

Because it would make sense for teams to word contracts in this way. And it doesn't hurt the player at all because it's not a paycut, it's just getting your money in a lump sum instead of weekly in the case of base salary. In the case of a roster bonus restructuring that to signing bonus changes absolutely nothing from the players stand point it only affects the cap

Obviously it's the right thing to do to talk to the player about it and not just do it but I don't think there's anything contractually preventing them from operating with that kind of lack of tact

While it's possible teams include such a provision in contracts there's no way of knowing if that applies for Rodgers and Z as well.

I agree a player shouldn't be opposed to convert his base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus as it doesn't make a difference for him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's possible teams include such a provision in contracts there's no way of knowing if that applies for Rodgers and Z as well.

I agree a player shouldn't be opposed to convert his base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus as it doesn't make a difference for him.
There may be tax considerations depending on when the money is paid.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adrian Amos has restructured his contract to free up some cap space for the Packers.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Restructuring his deal using the signing bonus conversion could free up almost $3 million, according to Over the Cap. If the restructure involves an extension or the addition of voidable years, the savings could be even more."

Full details pending.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My approach would be cut Kirksey no brainer 5.6M
Then cut Wagner 4.2M I do expect the Packers to spend their premium picks in the draft in OT and CB, Wagner is reliable but was a liability in the biggest game, so develop a rookie makes sense

After this everything is complicated

I would get on the phone with Zadarius and Preston, both guys have a better 2019 and their caps are damn too high (21M and 16M) offer them a 1 year extension to lower his cap next year from 37M combined to 19M of course Preston takes a huge pay cut

So Packers clears 29.2M and it's just enough to bring the draft class + Tonyan tender + Lazard

If Rodgers wants a more competitive team, honestly he needs to take a pay cut, same way Brady did when he was in the exact same situation

Damn so far I'm accurate, I would only expect Za'darius extension just enough to sign Lazard, Tonyan and the draft class

And since they didn't touch Rodgers contract I guess the written is in the walls next offseason

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they get about the same amount of cap savings as if they cut him while still keeping the player. I like it

Reaction score
So they get about the same amount of cap savings as if they cut him while still keeping the player. I like it
That’s a big chunk of fat we just trimmed!
Very crafty move and we’re nearly all Steak meat now. Now we just need to top it with some A1 sauce and head to the potato bar next.
What I like is it takes lots of pressure off both the team and the player.
I’m really pleased with Preston in that he worked this out to help the team succeed and I’m glad we got this guy. The best deal is when both sides win

D

Deleted member 6794

And since they didn't touch Rodgers contract I guess the written is in the walls next offseason

The Packers have until March 20 to fully take advantage of restructuring Rodgers' contract as well. I fully expect it to happen.

You have to realize two things though.

First of all while it seems the Packers will save $7.25 million of cap space by restructuring Preston's deal for this season it adds another $3.25 million of prorated bonuses for 2022.

In addition if he makes part or all of the incentives in his contract this season the team will need to have the space available to fit it under the cap.

With that being said I definitely prefer it this way than the Packers having released him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought unlikely to be earned incentives carried onto next season's cap.

They do. See my post in the Preston Smith thread. Basically incentives either count from the time the contract is signed if likely to be earned or next year if not likely to be earned. They won't have to make room this year even if PS goes off and gets 15 sacks. If he does get 15 though we will need to count an extra 4.4 million next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought unlikely to be earned incentives carried onto next season's cap.

They do. See my post in the Preston Smith thread. Basically incentives either count from the time the contract is signed if likely to be earned or next year if not likely to be earned. They won't have to make room this year even if PS goes off and gets 15 sacks. If he does get 15 though we will need to count an extra 4.4 million next year.

Actually incentives earned are added to a team's salary cap at the end of the season. See the relevant section of the CBA below:

At the end of a season, if performance bonuses actually earned resulted in a Team’s paying Salary in excess of the Salary Cap, then the amount by which the Team exceeded the Salary Cap as a result of such actually paid performance bonuses shall be charged to the Team’s Team Salary for the next League Year (i.e., reducing the Club’s Room in the next League Year). For the purposes of this Subsection, the Team’s Room at the end of the season shall reflect any charge to its Team Salary in the current League Year resulting from its election to Carry Over Room to the next League Year pursuant to Article 13, Section 6(b)(v).

It's possible for a team to carry over negative cap space into next year because of it though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now lets see the Rodgers, Adams and Z restructure and get some vets up in here.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually incentives earned are added to a team's salary cap at the end of the season. See the relevant section of the CBA below:

At the end of a season, if performance bonuses actually earned resulted in a Team’s paying Salary in excess of the Salary Cap, then the amount by which the Team exceeded the Salary Cap as a result of such actually paid performance bonuses shall be charged to the Team’s Team Salary for the next League Year (i.e., reducing the Club’s Room in the next League Year). For the purposes of this Subsection, the Team’s Room at the end of the season shall reflect any charge to its Team Salary in the current League Year resulting from its election to Carry Over Room to the next League Year pursuant to Article 13, Section 6(b)(v).

It's possible for a team to carry over negative cap space into next year because of it though.

This link has a very good description of thr salary cap in language that most people can understand. https://russellstreetreport.com/sal...ppens with NLTBE,Cap space the following year.

Smith had 4 sacks in 2020 so since his incentives start at 6 they are considered to be not likely to be earned. None of the incentive money he may earn will count against this years cap at any point this year.

If an incentive is earned and the team has cap space they may count it against this years cap but since its paid at the end of the year any money they had left would carry over to next year so they simply have less money to carry over which essentially means it counts against next years cap. There is no penalty if an incentive earned puts the team over the cap this season so they don't have to make room for it if it is earned. It just comes out of next years cap.

The bottom line is even if Smith has 15 sacks this year the Packers do not have to make sure they have room to fit the incentive in under this years cap since it will come out of next years cap.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I like these small restructures like Funchess, Amos, and Turner that save what we would consider small amounts but on a team roster there is probably at least $5M to be found or possibly more. Not a big splash like Preston but still helpful.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like these small restructures like Funchess, Amos, and Turner that save what we would consider small amounts but on a team roster there is probably at least $5M to be found or possibly more. Not a big splash like Preston but still helpful.

I think it says a lot for the players attitude as well. Im not sure of each situation but It's probably not a "do it or get cut" situation where they have no choice so it shows they are willing to do the little things that help the team. I'm sure they benefit somehow as well but they are willing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC there is around $16m cap space in Rodgers' contract alone. Per Spotrac they need about $9m for the draft pool. I am expecting a 4-5 yr deal similar to Michael Thomas with a larger SB for Davante any day now. Maybe a larger roster bonus in later years also.

D

Deleted member 6794

This link has a very good description of thr salary cap in language that most people can understand. https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/#:~:text=Incentives are written into some,for reaching certain performance criteria.&text=The opposite happens with NLTBE,Cap space the following year.

Smith had 4 sacks in 2020 so since his incentives start at 6 they are considered to be not likely to be earned. None of the incentive money he may earn will count against this years cap at any point this year.

If an incentive is earned and the team has cap space they may count it against this years cap but since its paid at the end of the year any money they had left would carry over to next year so they simply have less money to carry over which essentially means it counts against next years cap. There is no penalty if an incentive earned puts the team over the cap this season so they don't have to make room for it if it is earned. It just comes out of next years cap.

The bottom line is even if Smith has 15 sacks this year the Packers do not have to make sure they have room to fit the incentive in under this years cap since it will come out of next years cap.

My bad, you're right. Incentives deemed not likely to be earned don't affect the salary cap until next season.

IIRC there is around $16m cap space in Rodgers' contract alone. Per Spotrac they need about $9m for the draft pool. I am expecting a 4-5 yr deal similar to Michael Thomas with a larger SB for Davante any day now. Maybe a larger roster bonus in later years also.

The Packers' draft class will only add a bit more than $3 million of additional cap space as the 10 prospects will replace other players currently counting against it though.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition if he makes part or all of the incentives in his contract this season the team will need to have the space available to fit it under the cap.

That 3.25 m is highly likely to be dead money against the 2022 cap. As I see no way p.smith is on the team with a 20 million $ cap hit

If smith realizes his contracts full potential this season (14 sacks) hell earn 400k more than he was scheduled to make prior to the pay cut he agreed to.

And the 4.4 m in unlikely to be earned incentives would be more dead money against the 2022 cap. His dead cap would go from 7.25 m to 11.625 million. At that point the team would save about 8 million by releasing him. Currently they would save roughly 12 million by releasing him after the 2021 season

This was the best possible outcome to the preston smith situation and one I didn't expect at all because I never for a second thought the player would be willing to take such a big pay cut. But who knows maybe he'll get to 14 and make more money, I hope he does

Reaction score
I love Preston type contracts that are performance laden. I also like a mix of per game bonuses that helps reduce the hit when a player goes down altogether or misses significant time.

I appreciate the incumbent players working towards a common goal. Their agents understand that they don’t get paid if there is no contract signed and in uncertain times these call for bending a little. It seems like we have one national debacle after another and nothing is certain anymore and it’s all indirectly tied to viewership. Hopefully all these players learn to appreciate what’s being handed to them a little bit. These guys have it made even at 75% of the $ they want.
I suspect there will be the trimming of fat off several more smaller deals. Possibly enough to pay the increase for this draft class and PS etc..

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like they are letting Raven Greene go. I liked him a lot but he is probably too small to play where he plays best. imo

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers maybe waiting until they get players in and re done..then re do his deal to fit everyone in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts