Packers 2021 salary cap plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers maybe waiting until they get players in and re done..then re do his deal to fit everyone in?

I kinda think them resigning Aaron Jones is a nod to Rodgers as much as anything. IF AR has said he'll do a restructure IF type scenario....could mean a Big Dawg signing very soon as well - because we all know Aaron LOVES Lewis.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does the league still have the policy of signing older vets and getting a break on their cap hit?

Yes, the current CBA still includes the veteran salary benefit. The Packers could sign Lewis to a contract with a base salary of $1.075 million (minimum for a veteran with at least seven accrued seasons) and have him count only $850K towards their cap. In addition they could pay him bonuses of up to $137,500 and still benefit from the cap savings.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who really knows but so far it looks like they're trying their darnedest not touch the Rodgers contract...for obvious reasons.

Yeah they want to maintain the possibility of transitioning to Love prior to the 2022 or more likely 2023 season at which point they would trade Rodgers with one or two years remaining on his current deal.

And Rodgers wants them to at the least restructure his contract so it makes that less likely. If not be signed to an extension, I'm sure his preference.

Once again Rodgers can't say I'll only restructure if you sign insert players name...the teams are all smart enough to plan for this and this type of restructure does not have to be agreed upon by the player.

Now the pay cut/restructure preston smith just agreed to had to be proposed by the Packers or his agent and then agreed to by the other party

D

Deleted member 6794

who really knows but so far it looks like they're trying their darnedest not touch the Rodgers contract...for obvious reasons.

There's absolutely no reason not to restructure Rodgers' contract. His current base salary for 2021 and the signing bonus due on March 20 will count against the team's cap hit at some point before they move on from him, converting it into a signing bonus doesn't make a difference in that regard.

It would clear much needed cap space for next season though.

Once again Rodgers can't say I'll only restructure if you sign insert players name...the teams are all smart enough to plan for this and this type of restructure does not have to be agreed upon by the player.

Once again you're speculating on a player's contract terms. It seems at least Amos had to agree to the Packers redtructuring his deal.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason not to restructure Rodgers' contract. His current base salary for 2021 and the signing bonus due on March 20 will count against the team's cap hit at some point before they move on from him, converting it into a signing bonus doesn't make a difference in that regard.

Once again you're speculating on a player's contract terms. It seems at least Amos had to agree to the Packers redtructuring his deal.

That's not entirely true. If they restructure his contract to save money in 2021. His dead money if traded goes up for 2022 and 2023. Currently that number is 17.28 m dead in 2022 and just 2.8 m dead in 2023. What they are trying to preserve is that 2023 number because that's the year they plan to trade him if Love has shown he deserves to be next. If they restructure even just that 6.8 m roster bonus to signing, that 2023 number becomes 5 m dead.

Granted I still agree that they should do it because 5 m is still very manageable and even if that number was 10 m, it would still be ok in my opinion. They wouldn't be able to really move in from him after this season but I don't think there's a chance in hell that happens so the added dead cap there is moot

No I heard them talk about Rodgers specifically on nfl radio again...and they said the team doesn't need Rodgers permission to restructure his contract to signing bonus. They stated all nfl contracts are written in this manner.

Once again, Pat Kirwin, the nfl radio host could be mistaken. But I tend to doubt it as he was an nfl gm for years and years...so I'm trusting him and common sense on this one.

Common sense being why would any team agree to a contract without such a clause???

Just because you read an article that said amos "agreed" to a restructure. Doesn't mean that he had to be asked. Like I stated previously would a smart management team talk to the player and agent a long the way? Of course they would but they don't have to. It is a mechanism
Written into contracts to allow teams to manipulate the salary cap.

"In the vast majority of veteran NFL contracts, there are now “automatic conversion” clauses, meaning the team can do this unilaterally without the player signing off. ... By restructuring one other key player, such as Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp, LA would be under the 2021 salary cap."

This is best information I could find on google about it. It's from the turf show times website I'm assuming a rams fan site.

But once again whatever you or I think of Pat Kirwin, I'm pretty sure he's at least knowledgeable enough to be right about that...

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Between this and his desire to be in GB for life, I'm shocked it wasn't at least a one year extension as well.
His cap number for 2022 will now be around 28 million. I fully expect him to eventually be extended.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not entirely true. If they restructure his contract to save money in 2021. His dead money if traded goes up for 2022 and 2023. Currently that number is 17.28 m dead in 2022 and just 2.8 m dead in 2023. What they are trying to preserve is that 2023 number because that's the year they plan to trade him if Love has shown he deserves to be next. If they restructure even just that 6.8 m roster bonus to signing, that 2023 number becomes 5 m dead.

Granted I still agree that they should do it because 5 m is still very manageable and even if that number was 10 m, it would still be ok in my opinion. They wouldn't be able to really move in from him after this season but I don't think there's a chance in hell that happens so the added dead cap there is moot

Once again, it doesn't matter one bit. Rodgers' combined base salary for 2021 and the roster bonus due on Saturday will count $21.5 million towards the team's cap at some point no matter if they convert it into a signing bonus at this point or not. The difference being that it would create much needed cap space for this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently according to OTC we have 67 players under contract, 31 of whom would account for zero dead cap if cut. Another 9 players with less than $100,000 in dead cap. The top 51 account for just about 185M. We’re in pretty good shape compared with a month ago. The management team has done an excellent job IMO of straightening things out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Currently according to OTC we have 67 players under contract, 31 of whom would account for zero dead cap if cut. Another 9 players with less than $100,000 in dead cap. The top 51 account for just about 185M. We’re in pretty good shape compared with a month ago. The management team has done an excellent job IMO of straightening things out.

Taking a look at the number of players without any dead money counting against the cap is a weird way to evaluate a team's situation. Aside of Tonyan and Sullivan, both of whom were just tendered, none of those 40 players is set to count more than $920K towards the cap in 2021.

There's absolutely no doubt the team pushed a lot of cap hits into upcoming seasons to get under the cap for this one.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt the team pushed a lot of cap hits into upcoming seasons to get under the cap for this one.
per OTC the Packers have $200m cap already committed for 2022 with 29 players signed. 10 are not on their rookie contract and all of those 10 are current starters.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Taking a look at the number of players without any dead money counting against the cap is a weird way to evaluate a team's situation. Aside of Tonyan and Sullivan, both of whom were just tendered, none of those 40 players is set to count more than $920K towards the cap in 2021.

Sorry I offended you. Just meant to say that the overall situation looked much better to me. The young players have a year to improve, the core is under contract and now we await the Adam’s and later on Alexander extensions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry I offended you. Just meant to say that the overall situation looked much better to me. The young players have a year to improve, the core is under contract and now we await the Adam’s and later on Alexander extensions.

You didn't offend me. In my opinion it's just a weird way to evaluate the Packers cap situation.

It's much more telling that only 29 players under contract account for more than $200 million in cap hits for the 2022 season. Especially considering prorated bonuses account for $67 million of that, which the Packers can do nothing about.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That $200Mil in '22 is a bit misleading because $19.75Mil is Preston's cap #... cutting him saves $12.5Mil in '22. Dean Lowry's cap # is $7.5Mil... cutting him in '21 saves $3.3Mil, cutting him in '22 (if they choose to keep him for '21) saves $5.8Mil.

Just those 2 changes it to be 27 players under contract for $175Mil. Also, there will (hopefully) be at least 8-12 guys under contract from the '21 draft/UDFA class. Not as bleak as it would appear, although an Adams extension will add significant $ back onto the '22 picture depending on how huge of a SB he gets.

D

Deleted member 6794

That $200Mil in '22 is a bit misleading because $19.75Mil is Preston's cap #... cutting him saves $12.5Mil in '22. Dean Lowry's cap # is $7.5Mil... cutting him in '21 saves $3.3Mil, cutting him in '22 (if they choose to keep him for '21) saves $5.8Mil.

Just those 2 changes it to be 27 players under contract for $175Mil. Also, there will (hopefully) be at least 8-12 guys under contract from the '21 draft/UDFA class. Not as bleak as it would appear, although an Adams extension will add significant $ back onto the '22 picture depending on how huge of a SB he gets.

While it's true the Packers can and will be forced to make some moves to reduce that number it should be noted that only the Cowboys have allocated more cap space towards their roster in 2022 than the Packers. They have 45 players under contract though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It would clear much needed cap space for next season though.
they're already $40m OVER the 22 projected cap. pushing back any more money effectively makes them the Saints 2.0...in total cap hell and remaining stuck in NFL purgatory. pushing back 22 money into 23 washes out the expected big cap gain from the tv deal. stuck. spitting in the wind. no SB's. i'll keep saying it's time to move on...past actually.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true the Packers can and will be forced to make some moves to reduce that number it should be noted that only the Cowboys have allocated more cap space towards their roster in 2022 than the Packers. They have 45 players under contract though.

And one guy preston smith who will provide 12.5 million of cap savings if he's released as expected...

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they're already $40m OVER the 22 projected cap. pushing back any more money effectively makes them the Saints 2.0...in total cap hell and remaining stuck in NFL purgatory. pushing back 22 money into 23 washes out the expected big cap gain from the tv deal. stuck. spitting in the wind. no SB's. i'll keep saying it's time to move on...past actually.

Move on from what?

You can't mean Aaron Rodgers...and the cap could get near 250 million for 2023 so if they're smart about they should be fine...

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Michael Silver the Packers are trying to negotiate a restructured deal with Rodgers to free up some cap space for next season. About time.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, it doesn't matter one bit. Rodgers' combined base salary for 2021 and the roster bonus due on Saturday will count $21.5 million towards the team's cap at some point no matter if they convert it into a signing bonus at this point or not. The difference being that it would create much needed cap space for this year.

If the 21.5 million will count at some point, a fact no one is disputing, can you explain how cutting the cap number this year will not raise it in the future. If Rodgers cap number goes down this year it has to go up in the future and if the cap number goes up the Packers have less to spend on other players or in the case of 2022 the more money they will have to cut just to get under the cap.

If I (the Packers) owe you (Aaron Rodgers) 30 million and we agree that I will pay you 10 million a year over the next three years that covers it. Now If I don't have 10 million or I simply want more to spend on something else and we can agree that I will take 6 million of the 10 I owe you, split it into 3 equal parts and pay you 1 part each year over the next three years. That means I will pay you 6 million this year 12 million next year and 12 million the year after that it still covers it. I still pay you 30 million dollars so the amount I pay you doesn't change. What changes is that I only have to pay you 6 million this year and I can spend 4 million on something else BUT I now have to pay you 12 million instead of 10 million in each of the next 2 years. If I only have 8 million next year that's an extra 2 million I have to come up with somehow. Now if I expect to have 20 million the year after next I could maybe figure out a way to push even more money from this year into the last year next year into the year after that but pretty soon, If I keep doing that, I'm eventually going to have a huge bill to pay.

As far as the rollover goes that only matters if we don't spend the money we save. If we restructure Rodgers' contract and save 10 million dollars and we spend that 10 million on another player we have nothing left to roll over.

The bottom line is you can't create much needed cap space this year by converting Rodgers' salary and roster bonus to signing bonus without having his cap number go up in the future We are going to pay him the same amount of money its just that we are going to pay him less now but more later than originally planned on.

As far as pushing money into 2023 to take advantage of an expected leap in the cap that's a matter of opinion as to whether that is a good idea or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts