Packers 2021 salary cap plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So there aren't any moves to be made or free agents available in June and beyond?

Maybe unlikely...not sure about unrealistic.

I would say definitely unrealistic, personally.

Teams don't trade young, cheap talent for old, expensive guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

So there aren't any moves to be made or free agents available in June and beyond?

First of all the Packers need to make moves to get under the cap by mid-March. In addition the cupboard is pretty bare most years in June.

I think that's mostly true. Preston Smith's cap number for 2021 is $16M but he is due a roster bonus on the 3rd day of the league year starting March 17. If they cut him before that date and designate him as a post June 1 cut he is not owed the roster bonus in 2021 and his cap hit drops to $12 Million and then on June 1 will drop to $4M. If they cut him outright before the 3rd day of the league year then his cap hit is $8M with an immediate $8M cap reduction. So some cap space could be created but the full benefit is not realized until June 1.

I totally forgot about Preston being due a roster bonus in March. In that case I believe the Packers actually can't cut him with a post June 1st designation while not paying him the bonus.

Right! I feel like the Packers don't want to depend on it though, it seems like there's a move they want to make first before deferring to that option. Maybe with Watt no longer an option they start making that move in earnest.

The Packers are in desperate need of saving cap space for this season. Therefore converting Rodgers' base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus should be done no matter what.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the Chargers trade Derwin James, who when healthy is probably one of the Top 3 safeties in the league for Amos? The 3rd Rounder is tempting sure, but a player like James doesn't come around often, and one surely isn't in the 2021 Class, I don't think one of that caliber is even in the 2022 or 2023 Class. Oh yea, did you forget that Derwin James is a free agent next year? So we give up a 3rd Round pick for a guy to stick around for one season?

3rd rounder and Amos for Top 3 safety (when healthy) with the possibility of him leaving after the season? YES!!!

Tyler Biadasz was the best of the worst for Centers last year, can't go wrong with a Badger? His PFF grade of 53.5 says otherwise.

So you're saying he was one of the best? Also, remember the Red Nerf Gun was behind center along with a bunch of no names. PFF?...(hand jerk motion). How'd the kid do when Prescott was playing?

I can't see Belichick getting rid of Meyers when he already has a gaping hole at WR. He already missed with N'Keal Harry and who knows what Edelman might do next year. Sternberger hasn't shown much, so I'm pretty sure we'd have to commit some kind of Day 3 pick in the end for Meyers.

Belichick isn't loyal to any players. He's not a businessman...he's a business...man! He'll do his due diligence to build the roster to his liking.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd rounder and Amos for Top 3 safety (when healthy) with the possibility of him leaving after the season? YES!!!

Sir, this is not Madden Franchise Mode. Why would the Packers give up a solid player who's under contract til 2023, plus a 3rd Round Pick for a player who SHOULD be on the roster for 4 or more years for a player who will become an RFA, and command possibly more than the $9M/year we're paying Amos?(The Franchise Tag for him is $11.2M) We don't even have the cap to pay everyone this year and you want to put us further in jeopardy for the future?

So you're saying he was one of the best? Also, remember the Red Nerf Gun was behind center along with a bunch of no names. PFF?...(hand jerk motion). How'd the kid do when Prescott was playing?

If Biadasz' PFF grade was 53.5...out of a possible score of 100, what do you think that means? If you got a 53.5 on a test, do you think you passed? Would you consider yourself proficient at the material? Biadasz was the best rookie center last year, because everyone else was ABYSMAL. But he wasn't even close to being considered serviceable over other veterans around the league. Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton may have different play styles and ability, but the offensive line still has to block. The offensive scheme didn't just completely change overnight, it was just adjusted to suit the starting QB's play style.

Belichick isn't loyal to any players. He's not a businessman...he's a business...man! He'll do his due diligence to build the roster to his liking.

The Jay-Z quote was cute, but it would be bad business to make a position group weaker for a relatively unknown value at another weak position.

D

Deleted member 6794

So JJ thinks Murray is better than Mayfield and Tannehill (lord knows who will be the Colts QB with Rivers retiring)?

The Colts traded for Carson Wentz, I fully expect him to be their starter.

Why would the Chargers agree to trade Derwin James???

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...The Packers are in desperate need of saving cap space for this season. Therefore converting Rodgers' base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus should be done no matter what.
I believe converting AR's $14.7Mil base salary into bonus allows it to be spread out over the remaining 3 yrs. ($4.9Mil/yr) giving GB $9.8Mil cap relief in '21. Added to possible cutting of Lowry, freeing-up $3.3Mil, should put GB about $2Mil under the cap.

Overthecap is estimating, with GB's current draft picks, that $8.3Mil will be necessary for the rookie pool. There are more cap-relieving moves necessary without even considering FA's to shore-up the roster. :(

Possible '21 Salary conversions to Bonus $ savings (pretty much assuring roster spot in '22):
Z. Smith - $5.375Mil
A. Amos - $2.45Mil
B. Turner - $2.25Mil

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe converting AR's $14.7Mil base salary into bonus allows it to be spread out over the remaining 3 yrs. ($4.9Mil/yr) giving GB $9.8Mil cap relief in '21.

Possible '21 Salary conversions to Bonus $ savings (pretty much assuring roster spot in '22):
Z. Smith - $5.375Mil
A. Amos - $2.45Mil
B. Turner - $2.25Mil

It's possible to spread out a signing bonus over a maximum of five years either by extending a player's contract or adding void years to it. Therefore the Packers could save more than $16 million of cap space by restructuring Rodgers' deal.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his press conference Gutekunst did say he has spoken to "several veterans" about restructuring. My only question now is when he makes the move. Maybe Ball is doing more research on their options or they're waiting for the final salary cap number announcement from the NFL? I believe everyone has to be under the cap by next week correct? And with all the potential players that could be cap casualties we need that money not only keep who we have, but possibly make a move.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess once the target is know, the moves will be made. I'm sure they have their plan based on XYZ happening, just waiting to see if it's X,Y or Z they need to make moves based on.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just got a little cap space ($750k) and will have Funchess in camp to compete for a top-4 WR spot. From PFT...
"According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, wide receiver Devin Funchess has agreed to a pay cut of roughly $750,000 to remain with the Packers. He signed a one-year deal worth $1.2 million in base salary last April. But Funchess decided to opt out in late July, posting on Instagram at the time, 'Family is first.'"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funchess cut was brought up over on another thread as well. Only about 750K and his escalators/incentives most likely stayed but that little bit helps for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.