Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highest player isn't always best pick. Many times it's contingent on what your scouts/draft room mocks up that other GM's are doing too.

There were 10-15 players with better/similar impact that fit a real TANGIBLE need that have everything but this guy's ceiling.

Like Harrell, this is a "everything points to this guy being good, but..." Pick.

So best player available isn't the way to go? Unless you are going to argue that the highest rated is not the same as the best player.

I'd be willing to bet Gute didn't have 10-15 players with better or similar impact ratings. You will forgive me if I take his opinion over yours or anyone elses on here for that matter..

Before you get on me about BPA vs need I suggest you do a search for some of my other posts on the subject. I think you will find my views align a lot closer to yours than my comment, which was made half in jest to poke fun at the strict BPA crowd, would suggest.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds amazing until the defense is ranked 18th.

Do you believe with all the FA and draft capitol we have spent on our D it will rank 18th when it is all said and done? Talk about Debby Downer. NOBODY here or in any of the NFL war rooms really knows which of these draft picks will be great going forward. Just because a kid was fabulous in college doesn't always translate to being fabulous in the NFL.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Do you believe with all the FA and draft capitol we have spent on our D it will rank 18th when it is all said and done? Talk about Debby Downer. NOBODY here or in any of the NFL war rooms really knows which of these draft picks will be great going forward. Just because a kid was fabulous in college doesn't always translate to being fabulous in the NFL.

I don't share your optimism. A lot of people think I overvalue offense but the reality is the Packers ACTUAL ACTIONS has been OVERVALUING THE DEFENSE and today they did more of that without a doubt REACHING ALL OVER THE BOARD. I don't need to see anymore to know Gute has no clue what he is doing and I don't care who they draft tomorrow.

They over paid guys to come in and they over drafted these guys today. It's just what they do.

All this $ and all these picks and I still don't see one damn GAME CHANGER. It's all a bunch of HOT AIR. I really hate being negative about this but I've called the last two seasons with concerns and I have a firm idea how this is all going to play out. This isnt easy for me because they could of turned the tide with the right moves.

What happened today and this offseason is gonna hurt Packer Nation for a long long tine.

Reaction score
Out of 35 DL performing at the Combine Rashan Gary places:

Broad Jump #1
40 yard Dash #1
3 Cone #4
20 yard Shuttle#3
Bench #14
20yd Shuttle #3
Vertical #1

Not that this is a definitive success predictor but more so shows just how athletic he is. He’s a bigger, faster version of Nick Perry. The best predictor is college stats, but almost every football expert I’ve seen said that Gary played “out of position” and that he should play DE in the NFL to be able to assert his dominant speed and burst. He also played through a shoulder injury last year which hampered his production, so we can’t necessarily ignore that anyway.
Much of this sport is projection. After some more specific research, I can see him as a solid #12 pick and he’s a nice Chess piece that Pettine can utilize to get pressure in the backfield and keep the running game in check. Those are both keys to our success and areas we need improvement from last year.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Out of 35 DL performing at the Combine Rashan Gary places:

Broad Jump #1
40 yard Dash #1
3 Cone #4
20 yard Shuttle#3
Bench #14
20yd Shuttle #3
Vertical #1

This is a situation where the tape doesn't match the numbers. Throw in this guys intangibles and it has BUST written all over it. I'm not expecting much. I'm past the days of trying to sell myself of bad picks.

****, you wanna go defense then fine but trade up a couple picks to get Oliver or sit there at 12 and take Wilkins. They could not of played pick 12 any worse. Even a trade back from 12 would of made more sense. IMO it was the worse possible outcome.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a thread here about how Gute wanted bigger wide receivers. This seems to be part of a plan to get us bigger on defense up front.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one player in the draft, above all others, that just screams BUST!!!!!!

Still in shock...

When I was watching the combine I didn't pay any attention to this guy b/c I figured no way would Gute be dumb enough to draft him.

What a waste of a 1st round pick.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Gary will be a bust, he will be a good player, just not elite in my mind. I was expecting elite production from 12th Overall, I think we all were.

But one thing to note is Gary was like Top 10 in every drill at the combine. He's also in perfect position body wise for a transition in position. He drops 10 lbs he's perfect for being an OLB, he puts on 10lbs he can play the end spot or kick inside. His versatility is everything with this pick. This may be the instance of Pettine getting a guy he can gadget around the front 7, where teams have to figure out how best to protect against him.

Again still not super high on him, but let's see how it pans out.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i haven't realy gotten involved too much in the draft talk, as i really don't know enough college ball to have an informed position.

this is one guy who i can't remember being mentioned, so can understand people being disapointed, but very few here seem to be giving him the chance to prove himself and have already declared him a bust. i'm not gonna say he's one or the other cos i really don't know.

with our new coaching changes, lets hope we manage to get the best out of him, welcome to lambeau Gary

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who haven't heard of Gary don't follow the college scouting process and just let the media tell them who is good. They are probably the same people upset about Savage. But Gary was a Top 3 pick up until about a month ago until he started to slide after the Combine despite excellent testing. His tape was what hurt him.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who haven't heard of Gary don't follow the college scouting process and just let the media tell them who is good. They are probably the same people upset about Savage. But Gary was a Top 3 pick up until about a month ago until he started to slide after the Combine despite excellent testing. His tape was what hurt him.

You mean his actual play, and lack thereof??

I've been fully aware of Gary since I started looking at prospects a few months ago - just never paid him much attention b/c I didn't think Gute would be dumb enough to pick him.

I was wrong.

I like Savage a lot, but don't think anything can make up for the disaster that is the Gary pick.

Completely wasted pick. Gary is already a bust.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be really good. His athletic profile is bonkers. That said, as a fan, I would have preferred a 'safe' pick at 12. This one was risky.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with this pick?
Being a Michigan fan that watches a lot of Michigan football, I'm not happy with this pick.
The kid has a lot of tools that you look for but he disappears for long periods of time.
Perhaps he can be coached up over the next four years but count me as skeptical.
I fear that once he has the money in his pocket he will really disappear.
I consider him a "project" not worthy of the 12 pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit I don't know much about him, I don't watch MI regularly. He's a lot more athletic than I had thought. My initial reaction was based simply on not having heard his name a lot and from the little I saw MI, he didn't ever stand out to me. I am no draft expert, though it won't stop me from tell you all I really like the pick of Savage :)

But Gary is definitely a player it seems they can do something with for this defense. After staying up way to late reading and watching stuff, I think the ceiling for him is a long long ways from the floor he's at right now. It's up to him and the coaches to get him there, but he certainly has that potential and then some even. So though I wasn't all that excited by the pick, I am more excited today by the potential, and that's all any of these kids are at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gary definitely has a lot of potential but with him not putting up even decent numbers at the college level the Packers picking him at #12 has to be considered a huge risk. I would have definitely preferred Gutekunst to select a different player at that point.

The thing that kills me is he was announced as a LB. So now we're taking a DE and converting him to a LB. I'm hoping ILB and not OLB.

Gary will definitely not line up as an inside linebacker for the majority of snaps.

Well, unfortunately the tape should be considered way more important than his testing at the combine.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about tape being more telling than the combine, but it can lie too. It's like when we had guys that could actually play defense on the DLine, but Capers always asked them to just hold an area, do not penetrate, do not be disruptive, just occupy blockers so our mediocre and below linebacking crew can make plays 7 yards down the field. A fine scheme if you have the right players, we didn't and stuck with it anyway. But we wasted some years and some players along that line. Kenny Clark matured, got experience, etc, but they also let him play defense and don't waste his skills now either. I think his rookie season and much of his 2nd would have been a lot more noticeable had he been playing under Pettine and not Capers at the time.

I have no idea if the situation with Gary is the same or not, but sometimes because of the overall defensive scheme or plan, some players do not get to play to their strengths.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Low floor with incredible high ceiling type guy. NONE of us know which of those two extremes he ends up at...or will he fall in between.

His measurables and athleticism is ridiculously good.....but his heart and sometimes performance is ridiculously sad IMO as well.

I was a Wilkins fan at 12 with who was on the board, or one of the stud OL but when they drafted Gary I looked at the wife and said in 3 years I'll either be buying a Gary jersey or he'll be out of the league.

Probably an extreme prediction but kinda how I feel on it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, uh, the Packers drafted a guy who, if he works out, will be a clone of Za'Darius smith. His supporters claim that he "occupied blockers" for the other guys on his team; gee, if only defenses had realized they were allowed to double-team Montez Sweat, Brian Burns, or Jeffery Simmons.

Really hope I'm wrong but I think the Packers just drafted Vernon "the Nick Perry" Gholston.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe now some people can understand why I use the word INSANITY!!!!!!!!! because that's what it is down to the truest core of it all. This is a dysfunctional franchise folks that has zero clue what there doing and people have been in denial about it because Aaron Rodgers OVERCAME THE INEPTITUDE. He is getting older and can't anymore. IT'S OVER!!!!

I never expected things to go my way with this draft but I couldnt of imagined or thought up a way the Packers could of screwed this up more then they have. This is a disaster waiting to happen in a big way.

Way to go GUTE. You drafted a physically gifted guy with zero heart and lazy. This is gonna be worse then the Datone Jones pick.

Here I thought you would be dancing a wild jig. Hochenson was taken way before the Packers pick at #12 and Parris Campbell is still on the board for the Packer to pick (not pick) at #44. All that said, I guess I should have expected this reaction from you, no matter what the Packers did in Round 1.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here I thought you would be dancing a wild jig. Hochenson was taken way before the Packers pick at #12 and Parris Campbell is still on the board for the Packer to pick (not pick) at #44. All that said, I guess I should have expected this reaction from you, no matter what the Packers did in Round 1.
in case of burn, please apply copiously
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, here are the facts. Gary has incredible physical skills but very little production in college.
Now we have to figure out - Why?

Possibilities include:

1. He was missused by coaches. This is possible, but I think Michigan has one of the better coaching staffs in college. Perhaps he didn't develop in the way they wanted and they chose not to change their system to match his talents.

2. He isn't tough. He shied from really hitting people and/or small injuries affected him more.

3. He had legitimate injuries that limited his abilities.

4. He isn't an aggressive player by his personal nature

5. Football just isn't important to him

Of these, only 1 and 3 are reasons that he can overcome and succeed in the nfL. My feeling going into the draft is that it is mostly #5 but maybe some #4 as well. Saw an interview with him and he seemed more interested in talking about the company he created (he has a few employees) than about football. At least he seemed more excited talking about that.

I'm just not excited about this pick. I am generally very optimistic person and I hope I am wrong. Seems like a very likable person, but is he a genuine hard-core football player? I am not sure. I hope, for the Packers sake, he is. Gute must have answered the 'lack of production' question in his mind, lets hope he is correct.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, here are the facts. Gary has incredible physical skills but very little production in college.

Possibilities include:

1. He was missused by coaches. This is possible, but I think Michigan has one of the better coaching staffs in college. Perhaps he didn't develop in the way they wanted and they chose not to change their system to match his talents.

2. He isn't tough. He shied from really hitting people and/or small injuries affected him more.

Of these, only 1 and 3 are reasons that he can overcome and succeed in the nfL. My feeling going into the draft is that it is mostly #5 but maybe some #4 as well. Saw an interview with him and he seemed more interested in talking about the company he created (he has a few employees) than about football. At least he seemed more excited talking about that.

I'm just not excited about this pick. I am generally very optimistic person and I hope I am wrong. Seems like a very likable person, but is he a genuine hard-core football player? I am not sure. I hope, for the Packers sake, he is. Gute must have answered the 'lack of production' question in his mind, lets hope he is correct.

I would add a 6th option to your list: He's always been considered great and has never had to really work to achieve success. #1 HS recruit, goes to a major university, doesn't perform to expectations and STILL gets picked 12th. He could just have learned that he doesn't NEED to try hard to get ahead in football. I hope that's not the case because that's a hard lesson to overcome for most people.

I hope that Gary does well, I really liked how emotional and truly happy he appeared when he got the call from the Packers, I just don't think history is on the Packers' side with this one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Possibilities include:

Good summary. I was surprised at the pick as well. Not really because of the player, more the position. But IMO this is one of those situations when Gute totally stuck with BPA and it is very obvious from Gute's Presser as well as what I have read online, Gary was a guy that the Packers have had on their radar for a long time and they absolutely love him. I'm anxious to here Pettine's comments on Gary. But I have a feeling this is the exact guy that Pettine wanted and needed for what he plans on doing on defense. Adding Savage could be the final piece to a big improvement to the Packer defense.

As you said, if Gary lives up to his abilities, this guy could be phenomenal. I think the Packers are pretty confident that they will be able to get the best out of him. Also, lets face it, the goal for these guys is to make it to the NFL in one piece. Some of them knowing that before they even play one snap of college ball, the NFL is definitely in their future. I love Nick Bosa, but it wasn't like the guy was tearing up college football last year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add a 6th option to your list: He's always been considered great and has never had to really work to achieve success. #1 HS recruit, goes to a major university, doesn't perform to expectations and STILL gets picked 12th. He could just have learned that he doesn't NEED to try hard to get ahead in football. I hope that's not the case because that's a hard lesson to overcome for most people.

I hope that Gary does well, I really liked how emotional and truly happy he appeared when he got the call from the Packers, I just don't think history is on the Packers' side with this one.
6. Lazy

That should have been on the list, definitely. And now that I think about it, it sure could be a part of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts