Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary says his shoulder is "110 percent" right now. Promises he won't need surgery to get it fixed. Also denies that he has a torn labrum.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The number 1 recruit coming out of high school he is considered one of the biggest dissappointments of that recruiting class.

This is a very risky pick.

Huge upside, but just not worth it. Not sure this guy loves football enough to suceed.

The best spin I found is someone saying he played out of position. In a 3-4 as a DE he will be better. Remains to be seen.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I’ll say this: if this pick booms...it’s going to be a big boom. That being said, quite the risk at 12 overall.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wonder if people noticed the Hockenson was not available when we picked? and if they did, do they know what it would have cost to move up to get him?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS have given us a C- rating for the pick...the worst rating after Murray's #1 pick.
nobody is going to top Murray at #1 in my book. I can't believe he was actually the first overall pick, let alone the first QB. I'm not draftnik, but he'll be exciting at times for sure, but I don't see him doing much in the NFL.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
less than 10 sacks in 3 years, is first round material?
Interesting tidbit I read in the shoutbox (courtesy of @bigbubbatd ), Danielle Hunter only had 4.5 sacks and 21 TFL in college. Point is college production doesnt necessarily equate to NFL production.

The number 1 recruit coming out of high school he is considered one of the biggest dissappointments of that recruiting class.

This is a very risky pick.

Huge upside, but just not worth it. Not sure this guy loves football enough to suceed.

The best spin I found is someone saying he played out of position. In a 3-4 as a DE he will be better. Remains to be seen.

I do agree that it is pretty much the biggest risk we could have taken with our highest pick in years.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walterfootball

• Rashan Gary*, 3-4DE, Michigan
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 277. Arm: 34.13. Hand: 9.63.
    40 Time: 4.58. 10-Yd: 1.63. Three Cone: 7.26.
    Bench: 26. Vertical: 38. Broad: 10-0.
    Projected Round (2019): Top-20.
    4/20/19: Gary had a fabulous combine workout, showing off his freakish combination of size and speed. Tteam sources expect Gary to go in the top 20 and think he probably will be selected in the top half of the first round.

In 2018, Gary totaled 43 tackles with 7.5 for a loss and 3.5 sacks. He missed three games with an AC shoulder joint sprain and sat out Michigan's bowl game. Gary played well when on the field, showing a serious skill set of speed, athleticism, and natural size. He has a ton of upside for the NFL. With his size, strength, and speed, Gary is a great fit as a base end in a 4-3 defense. He also could be a five-technique in a 3-4 defense.

8/29/18: Gary notched 65 tackles with six sacks, one forced fumble and 12 tackles for a loss in 2017. Gary is a rare athlete who could turn into a dominant defender. Scouting sources say Gary has high first-round potential if he puts everything together. That could definitely happen during his junior season. One scouting sources who has done advance work on the 2019 class said that Gary is a rare physical talent similar to some former top-of-the-draft prospects, but Michigan doesn't turn him loose as a pass-rusher as much as other prospects were.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019DE3-4.php#QesRySC1yskjdr3R.99

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we could have traded up for hock. we had lots of picks. this is ridiculous. sigh. go pack go.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I know Hock was gone and I wouldn't have traded up for him. Just hoping and now totally bummed about our pick. I don't consider him first round material.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine with having drafted Hockenson at 12 given that Oliver, Bush and Williams were gone, but I do not understand why fans would advocate trading up for him.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't sleep on him?!! Based on his collegiate career, he's been sleeping on Saturdays,as well as filmday,walkthrough day, practices, etc.
Youre probably the fans who wanted to cut Davante Adams. Let Gary play. You gonna be eating your words if he lights it up.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't know for certain for a few years whether this was a horrific pick. But it is not looking good.

I now expect the Packers to take D.K. Metcalf at 30. Another underperforming football player with great measurables.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he played against some weak teams the last three years and managed less than 10 sacks. At least Bosworth produced in college.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch some film. He was double teamed quite a bit, named first team Big 10 twice by the coaches and can be a stud. Can play line or edge.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome! A project tweener who is too stiff to bend around the edge, doesn't have rush moves, and isn't big or strong enough to play 3-tech.

Can anyone name a 6'4 280 Edge tweener that has been successful in the NFL? Oh yeah, freaking Za'Darius Smith.....who has to be stunted inside to get sacks, who finally had a career year of....7 sacks, and who we just paid $80 million.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d rather them just traded down and given up the 12th pick than to do what they did. It seems the front office had everyone on their board taken and took a chance. To not even look at Wilkins instead?? Move down in the draft and regroup.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never known a former teammate to state "He'll suck at NFL". They are as biased as anyone else, if not more so.
Its rare for athletes at the top level to say they are not as good as someone else. That’s a sky-high compliment.

Members online

Latest posts