Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bosa averaged 2 TFL/game and 1.3 sacks/game. He was quite literally tearing up college football before he got hurt.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not a Gary fan leading up to the draft. He wasn't a player I had bothered to study, I just saw major athlete, minor stats, and figured eh...not worth it.

I'm still not sold on it, but I like it more than I thought I would. People like Gute, Lance Zeirline, and Dane Brugler have all talked positively about his motor, which was my chief concern. Saw a lot about his lack of technique, and how he needs to improve hand usage. Ok...that's teachable. That's doable.

With the prospects still on the board, I'm getting pretty ok with it. I was very bummed Jonah went right before us, I wanted him.

Anyways, Gary is a premier athlete, has long arms, huge hands, good strength, he just needs refinement. Ed Oliver isn't any different tbh. Our coaching staff just got Fackrell 10 sacks. Mike Smith is supposed to be a really good teacher. Pettine loves versatility and larger edges. Personally, I would bet on our coaches getting more out of him. And with who was all on the board yet, I get the pick. Rather have him than Brian Burns.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Here's a response from one of Gary's coaches at Michigan after seeing all the hate about him on social media that a lot of you should read.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not a Gary fan leading up to the draft. He wasn't a player I had bothered to study, I just saw major athlete, minor stats, and figured eh...not worth it.

I'm still not sold on it, but I like it more than I thought I would. People like Gute, Lance Zeirline, and Dane Brugler have all talked positively about his motor, which was my chief concern. Saw a lot about his lack of technique, and how he needs to improve hand usage. Ok...that's teachable. That's doable.

With the prospects still on the board, I'm getting pretty ok with it. I was very bummed Jonah went right before us, I wanted him.

Anyways, Gary is a premier athlete, has long arms, huge hands, good strength, he just needs refinement. Ed Oliver isn't any different tbh. Our coaching staff just got Fackrell 10 sacks. Mike Smith is supposed to be a really good teacher. Pettine loves versatility and larger edges. Personally, I would bet on our coaches getting more out of him. And with who was all on the board yet, I get the pick. Rather have him than Brian Burns.
Exactly, he has all the tools. Technique can be taught. It's up to him and the coaches to reach his ceiling. After seeing what they did with Fackrell, this could be a really good pick. Time will tell and until I get to see him do something, it's hard to put the kid down.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also was aware of him refusing to sit with a shoulder injury for his team....GREAT sign. As I've said dude has a low floor, but incredibly high ceiling. Here's to hoping that ceiling is in trouble because he is gonna try and break it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every one that likes this pick or doesnt have a problem with it congratulations you officially admit you dont care about how a player can actually play and instead only care about his measurables. You never again have to actually watch a prospect play in order to decide if you like him or not and instead just have to see who tested well at the combine.

I'm actually a lil jealous cause I've watched Gary and he is not a good football player but oh my those measurables

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every one that likes this pick or doesnt have a problem with it congratulations you officially admit you dont care about how a player can actually play and instead only care about his measurables. You never again have to actually watch a prospect play in order to decide if you like him or not and instead just have to see who tested well at the combine.

I'm actually a lil jealous cause I've watched Gary and he is not a good football player but oh my those measurables

You've watched him play and cannot see his skills? Really? I mean I'm not BLOWN away by him, but if you've truly watched his tape and his play more than the 5 seconds on scout links you've seen his skillset displayed in live play.

As CC says C'mon man. Critical of the pick has merit, but your claiming to have watched him and deem him not even a good (below great or excellent) football player is a little funny.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

I just like to evaluate an NFL career going forward, after its actually started. Its a projection to where they will be, not where they were. He has the tools, maybe, just maybe Pettine will get that potential out more than Michigan did. He was still considered a top 10 talent going into the draft process. He also commanded a lot of double teams, freeing up his teammates to make plays. He's not a bad football player, and I'm optimistic vs. pessimistic going forward.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've watched him play and cannot see his skills? Really? I mean I'm not BLOWN away by him, but if you've truly watched his tape and his play more than the 5 seconds on scout links you've seen his skillset displayed in live play.

As CC says C'mon man. Critical of the pick has merit, but your claiming to have watched him and deem him not even a good (below great or excellent) football player is a little funny.

That's because hes not a good (cant believe you even suggested great or excellent) football player. Nothing about him suggests that hes a good football player outside of his measurables.

Please list what you think he actually does good on the football field if you thought he was good or great. The best answer people can give is he tries hard

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because hes not a good (cant believe you even suggested great or excellent) football player. Nothing about him suggests that hes a good football player outside of his measurables.

Please list what you think he actually does good on the football field if you thought he was good or great. The best answer people can give is he tries hard

I never said great or excellent, what I meant was you're saying he's not even a "good" player. Which is below great and excellent. I've already said I was not a fan of the pick at the spot, as I had him pegged easily outside my top 15...but did place him between top 20 and top 30 prospects.

His strength to move defenders and eat up blockers is impressive and his range at his size is something not many can do. Personally I'd have LOVED the pick at 30...but at 12 I was screaming to pick Wilkins. Gute and Co love him...I just pray they're right.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just like to evaluate an NFL career going forward, after its actually started. Its a projection to where they will be, not where they were. He has the tools, maybe, just maybe Pettine will get that potential out more than Michigan did. He was still considered a top 10 talent going into the draft process. He also commanded a lot of double teams, freeing up his teammates to make plays. He's not a bad football player, and I'm optimistic vs. pessimistic going forward.

I HATE the "he was double-teamed" excuse. Sure, you can think he'll improve and actually start applying himself in the NFL but Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Jeffrey Simmons, etc. ALSO FACED DOUBLE TEAMS and they had MUCH better production.

Please, can we stop using the BJ Raji excuse on this kid?

I really want him to succeed. His emotion when he got the Packers' call was heartwarming, but there is no denying that he's a player who has insane track-and-field skills with disappointing on-field production.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said great or excellent, what I meant was you're saying he's not even a "good" player. Which is below great and excellent. I've already said I was not a fan of the pick at the spot, as I had him pegged easily outside my top 15...but did place him between top 20 and top 30 prospects.

His strength to move defenders and eat up blockers is impressive and his range at his size is something not many can do. Personally I'd have LOVED the pick at 30...but at 12 I was screaming to pick Wilkins. Gute and Co love him...I just pray they're right.

Heres the thing. Even your positives you listed are only a result of him being stronger and faster then everybody in college. Has nothing to do with him actually being a good football player.

Guys that have his physical attributes but with little actual results on the field can be worth taking flyers on late in the 1st or 2nd round. Sometimes they develop. But normally they dont. The guy is a physical freak and that's the only reason he was drafted high cause it sure wasnt due to anything he showed on the field

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I HATE the "he was double-teamed" excuse. Sure, you can think he'll improve and actually start applying himself in the NFL but Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Jeffrey Simmons, etc. ALSO FACED DOUBLE TEAMS and they had MUCH better production.

Please, can we stop using the BJ Raji excuse on this kid?

I really want him to succeed. His emotion when he got the Packers' call was heartwarming, but there is no denying that he's a player who has insane track-and-field skills with disappointing on-field production.

He also played with a partially separated shoulder all season, no it wasn't a torn labrum. Might be part of the reason why his stats were down, he had 6 sacks the prior year and double the tackles. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just saying to give the guy a chance. I wasn't excited with the pick when it happened, because I heard about the injury. I looked more into it, and I want to give the guy a chance. Hey, in 4 years when we all want to resign him and have his jersey on our backs, we can revisit this thread. :whistling:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude he was crying tears of joy lol what are you talking about.
You are correct. I saw the sobbing clip today. What I saw last night was only where he was standing stone-faced talking on the phone. I understand now he must have just collected himself and was fighting back tears stoically.

Not sure how I missed the uncontrollable sobbing tears of joy. Probably because I was sobbing uncontrollable tears of sadness we didnt pick someone else! :)

Well, this makes me feel a bit better about Gary.

Last edited:

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What scares me about the pick is it appears he could be another Preston Smith. Preston has the physical presence to be a monster, but takes plays off, doesn't seem like he isnt totally in love and at times seems he would rather be doing something else. Gary's physical stature is great, his combine numbers are good. But having two guys line up with each other that seem they could be a little day dreaming at times won't be a great duo.

But I'd rather a guy have those freakish abilities, physical traits and raw talent because you cannot TEACH those. You can TEACH them to be able to utilize those skills to the best of their abilities.

I would have taken Wilkins as the Dolphins seemed to pick pretty quick after us, but like many have posted. I dont know what goes on in the war room, I can only assume they have more intel and numbers in front of them than I would know what to do with.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he got double teamed. Maybe he was injured. Maybe his role was to set the table for others. Maybe he was miscast.

I just hate spending a 12th overall on a player you have to make excuses for.

He seems like a great guy and well liked by teammates. I will root for him as he is now a Packer. And if he succeeds, I will happily admit I was wrong. No. On 2nd thought, I will just go back and delete or edit most of my posts on him and pretend I saw the genius of the pick all along.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I'd rather a guy have those freakish abilities, physical traits and raw talent because you cannot TEACH those. You can TEACH them to be able to utilize those skills to the best of their abilities.
You cant teach toughness or aggressiveness either.

Members online

Latest posts