Packer Free Agents: What should the Packers do? Track Their Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least everyone can stop talking about Hockenson now.

Graham will be fine if we can upgrade our talent in the slot.

Maybe. He's nothing more than a one year player at this point, retaining him won't change much in regards to the draft imo. I'd still draft Hock because I think he's a very, very good TE.

I'm not sure how another player in the slot will impact Graham's effort and questionable hands. I doubt LaFleur will use him as an in-line TE as much as McCarthy did, so there is that as a benefit.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Maybe. He's nothing more than a one year player at this point, retaining him won't change much in regards to the draft imo. I'd still draft Hock because I think he's a very, very good TE.

I'm not sure how another player in the slot will impact Graham's effort and questionable hands. I doubt LaFleur will use him as an in-line TE as much as McCarthy did, so there is that as a benefit.

Not sure it's an effort issue but regardless it didnt work out year 1 like I thought it would. I'm sure MM's scheme had something to do with it too. Graham has lost a step but he is still a top 15 TE at the very least so he remains serviceable.

Hockenson is a nice prospect but this takes TE off the high priority list so other areas can be addressed accordingly. This is definitely some good news I wanted to hear.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UFA:

Breeland absolutely, but I worry about his market. I'm addressing CB late on Day 3 just in case.

I don't have a large enough sample size to really want Wilkerson back. I've adjusted my mocks accordingly. But I'm not mad if he comes back either. No more than his previous price, possibly less I hope.

Cobb and Matthews:I think we all have a soft spot for em.

Truthfully, I can't envision letting Clay go because my mock doesn't allow for two edge rushers without compromising the back end seriously. It's possible, but we'd be seemingly going all in on edge. I really think we just need one person in the mix to replace Perry, not Clay. Perry seemingly does NOTHING on the field. If someone was across from Clay who actually commanded some attention from the opposing offense, he might look a whole lot better. Clay's effort is superb and he does make splash plays just about every game.

Unfortunately for Cobb, he just can't stay healthy, Allison and Kumerow can pick up the slack I believe. We can draft a replacement late to develop as well. I'm sure his relation with AR will probably save him though.

Since Jimmy is coming back I like to see Kendricks on the opposite side, give Tonyan one more year to develop before a major role. Given LeFleur's tendency for double tight sets, we should see an uptick in his numbers.

When it comes to Ryan, it's either him or Morrison, can't do both so I think he's out.

RFA:

I'm fine with all 3 coming back. Allison will fill in for Cobb if he departs and Brice and Campbell can be decent backups to our newly acquired safeties through the Draft or Free Agency.

ERFA:

McCray, Tonyan, and Kumerow seem to be all that's worthwhile. I addressed OL heavily in my latest mock and I hope Gute does too. I'd like no less than 4 OL to come from the Draft and Free Agency. We could maybe invite Gilbert back for one more camp. But if no real improvement he needs to be cut.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This Graham news actually made my week. Now we can double down at WR and Parris Campbell and also add Hakeem Butler.

How amazing would that be?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham was a knee jerk sign by TT for a look at me moment I signed a FA. He's been nothing since leaving NO.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping graham doesn’t mean we don’t draft a TE somewhat high. It’s been said that TEs don’t contribute much in their first year anyway, he would be ready to fill in next season as starter. Keeping graham let’s rodgers have a pass catcher that he’s had a year to work with, so continuity wise, and also allows the rookie to not be forced into a position of starting his rookie season. Graham is a band-aid.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Keeping graham doesn’t mean we don’t draft a TE somewhat high. It’s been said that TEs don’t contribute much in their first year anyway, he would be ready to fill in next season as starter. Keeping graham let’s rodgers have a pass catcher that he’s had a year to work with, so continuity wise, and also allows the rookie to not be forced into a position of starting his rookie season. Graham is a band-aid.

I understand that but we have holes to plug now. There not gonna bring Cobb back so a big hole there in the slot and MVS is far from a guarantee as a No.3. We have 1-2 holes potentially on the OL too depending on Bulaga's health.

Graham is still considered a solid starting TE so I just dont see the Packers addressing TE early with this news.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure it's an effort issue but regardless it didnt work out year 1 like I thought it would. I'm sure MM's scheme had something to do with it too. Graham has lost a step but he is still a top 15 TE at the very least so he remains serviceable.

Hockenson is a nice prospect but this takes TE off the high priority list so other areas can be addressed accordingly. This is definitely some good news I wanted to hear.

If you didn't see an effort issue with Graham, you weren't watching him play. He wasn't very good last year.

Reaction score
If you didn't see an effort issue with Graham, you weren't watching him play. He wasn't very good last year.
I personally think that Graham still had an OK year considering. While he dropped a few contested throws in the redzone, he also 9th among all TEs in yardage and 12th in YPC (250 yards minimum). We really should factor in that Rodgers wasn’t quite himself and this was Graham’s first year in a new system. While he had some drops, I personally thought some of those throws were high or off the mark.
Maybe I would’ve expected better Redzone production his first year. I think teams keyed on him this year because we only really had one other receiver (WR/TE) above him depth chart wise.

If GB had a true, solid #2 veteran WR? I believe you will see a 800+ yard, 5+ TD guy.

My bigger concern is that I hope we don’t keep season long experiments at receiver again. It was painful to watch for me personally. I felt like we were trying to get too many looks at different rookie receivers and not enough to the veteran TEs. I said that mid season and it never relinquished. It didn’t work either.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Like I said I was disappointed with him and don't believe he is ever gonna be a dominant beast again like he was in NO. However he can still be effective working in a scheme with the right guys around him and it was gonna cost 7 mill to get rid of him.

That's why I am suggesting a Campbell and Butler combo. With Campbell you would have the speed guy that could run gadgets keeping the defense honest while also being able to stretch the field from slot which would help keep Graham clean. Butler would add another huge 6'6 target with massive wingspan and hopps that would make the whole thing lethal. Teams would be forced to pick there poison.

Add some good blocking and a running game that can make you pay and this offense would he unstoppable.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone just set the bar too high for Jimmy. I think everyone expected him to have 1000+ yds and 8 TDs and when it didn't happen, now he "sucks". Last year's TE rankings say otherwise. He can do better yes, but if you asked any NFL HC if they would like a TE who's going to produce 500-650 rec yds and 5-8 TDs for them this season, I guarantee they'd say yes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone just set the bar too high for Jimmy. I think everyone expected him to have 1000+ yds and 8 TDs and when it didn't happen, now he "sucks". Last year's TE rankings say otherwise. He can do better yes, but if you asked any NFL HC if they would like a TE who's going to produce 500-650 rec yds and 5-8 TDs for them this season, I guarantee they'd say yes.
It's not just the numbers. In every game there seemed to be at least 1 play where it was a contested ball that he should just get. Period. Big bodied TE with good hands gets those. First downs and TD's. and it seemed that every time that situation arose, he didn't get it. Maybe not every game, but there were enough of them. All preseason we heard about these big hands where everything sticks and this huge catch radius and this huge body that just towers above defenders and it was a big dud it seemed in every situation where he should have won. His numbers were ok, but they were plays it seems anybody running at TE could have made. There wasn't anything special. for 10million, I expect some special plays.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Damn you inflation!!!!

"Football Inflation" has far exceeded the inflation that most of us are subjected to.

For me the salaries have just become big numbers on a piece of paper. Numbers that all have to add up to be equal to or less than one big number (Cap). Might as well be Monopoly money for all I care.

Gone are the days where Joe/Jane Citizen can realistically say with a straight face "gosh that player really earned his paycheck".

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If this turns into the "Should we sign the UFAs Parris Campbell and Hakeem Butler?" thread, I blame you. :p:roflmao:

I really don't know what is so funny about getting some elite weapons on offense and having them tied up on rookie deals for 4-5 years.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn’t TT.
You're correct, I had TT instead of Gute, but I feel it was still a rush to sign a FA, a look at me moment. He didn't do much at Seattle. Those who don't want Hockenson with the 30th pick, teams didn't pick Gronk in the first but if they had hindsight, they sure as hell would now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not me. I'm for keeping Graham and targeting Hockenson. Although I wouldn't spend the 12 on him and he'll probably be gone by 30. I'd be fine with Smith or Fant though.

"Football Inflation" has far exceeded the inflation that most of us are subjected to.

For me the salaries have just become big numbers on a piece of paper. Numbers that all have to add up to be equal to or less than one big number (Cap). Might as well be Monopoly money for all I care.

Gone are the days where Joe/Jane Citizen can realistically say with a straight face "gosh that player really earned his paycheck".

Unless you are a Patriots fan.

I really don't know what is so funny about getting some elite weapons on offense and having them tied up on rookie deals for 4-5 years.

I don't know anything about either of these guys , What rounds do you expect them to go in and where would we have to take them.

You're correct, I had TT instead of Gute, but I feel it was still a rush to sign a FA, a look at me moment. He didn't do much at Seattle. Those who don't want Hockenson with the 30th pick, teams didn't pick Gronk in the first but if they had hindsight, they sure as hell would now.

If Hockenson is there at 30 I really hope we take him. Unless Fant and Smith are there as well then there might be some leeway hoping one of them is there at 44 or a slight trade up. Still, I'd take Him at 30.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not me. I'm for keeping Graham and targeting Hockenson. Although I wouldn't spend the 12 on him and he'll probably be gone by 30. I'd be fine with Smith or Fant though.

Unless you are a Patriots fan.

I don't know anything about either of these guys , What rounds do you expect them to go in and where would we have to take them.

If Hockenson is there at 30 I really hope we take him. Unless Fant and Smith are there as well then there might be some leeway hoping one of them is there at 44 or a slight trade up. Still, I'd take Him at 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts