Packer Free Agents: What should the Packers do? Track Their Decisions

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I tend to wonder this as well. Possibly could send Tonyan back to the practice squad though.

I think both Lewis and Tonyan are just cheap insurance policies. Never know how the draft will fall. If the Packers like one of the top 5 TE's and can draft one of them at the point they see value, they can still pull the trigger and makes decisions in Sept.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both Lewis and Tonyan are just cheap insurance policies. Never know how the draft will fall. If the Packers like one of the top 5 TE's and can draft one of them at the point they see value, they can still pull the trigger and makes decisions in Sept.

Tonyan for sure is expendable. Lewis will be on the team this season. I don't know that I would count on any of the top 3 (Hockenson, Fant, Irv Jr) anymore though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't remove TE from the draft boards.....I bet if at 30 either of the Iowa TEs are still there we grab one..but does release Gute again even more so (just like the FA signings did) to truly not force or reach for anyone not on the top of the in house draft board.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It won't remove TE from the draft boards.....I bet if at 30 either of the Iowa TEs are still there we grab one..but does release Gute again even more so (just like the FA signings did) to truly not force or reach for anyone not on the top of the in house draft board.

There not touching a TE round 1-3 so yes there are still some on the board.

Just not the one's many wanted. It's a shame. :cool:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

There are plenty of other elite offensive weapons in the draft that wont be a reach that don't play the TE position.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honest question right now you guys: where would you rank our offense right now?

S- elite
A- very good
B-Good
C--Average
D-Below Average
F-Poor

Honestly right now i'm leaning in between B and C and more so towards C.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly rate us a B right now all guys healthy (most notably Rodgers, Adams, and Graham). We are a real weapon at WR aside Adams to making a real jump. Unknown whether GMO or the young kids make a real jump. But it wouldn't hurt us to snag a guy like Metcalf or Brown with one of our early picks to add to the mix.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Stating such things in a definitive fashion illustrate lack of intelligence

Actually thinking there gonna pay a guy 11 mill and another 4 mill with a development guy signed to back them up and draft another one in a not so high valued position in the first is. It's actually INSANE.

Ive seen Mercedes Lewis. The guy is a physical beast. Obvioualy they dont feel 17 rep college boy can come in and toss NFL guys around. Like I said. Wah Wah and get over it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually thinking there gonna pay a guy 11 mill and another 4 mill with a development guy signed to back them up and draft another one in a not so high valued position in the first is. It's actually INSANE.

Ive seen Mercedes Lewis. The guy is a physical beast. Obvioualy they dont feel 17 rep college boy can come in and toss NFL guys around. Like I said. Wah Wah and get over it.

Same thing some said when Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the first round. If the value is there, especially at #30 or 45, I see no reason why they wouldn't draft Graham's 2020/21 replacement.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Same thing some said when Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the first round. If the value is there, especially at #30 or 45, I see no reason why they wouldn't draft Graham's 2020/21 replacement.

I expect Graham to be around for two more years. Plenty of time for Tonyan. Hockenson isn't some elite athlete that you have to have. There are way better talented players on the offensive side that fill immediate needs and not just Campbell.

Maybe if a guy like Fant dropped to round 2 then i could see taking a look. But not a TE in 1st round when your so staright as the Packers are currently.

I think yesterday proved were in WIN NOW MODE.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I expect Graham to be around for two more years. Plenty of time for Tonyan. Hockenson isn't some elite athlete that you have to have. There are way better talented players on the offensive side that fill immediate needs and not just Campbell.

Maybe if a guy like Fant dropped to round 2 then i could see taking a look. But not a TE in 1st round when your so staright as the Packers are currently.

I think yesterday throughly proved were in WIN NOW MODE.
No matter if they had or hadn't resigned Lewis and Tonyan, I would have been against using the #12 pick on Hockenson. However, after Finley went down in 2013 the Packer offense sorely lacked a game changing TE for too many seasons. Cook was about as close as they came. My hope is that Graham can still be that guy we need in 2019 and 2020, but I sure as hell don't want to go back to just picking up JAGS for what I think is a key piece to Aaron Rodgers offense. So yeah, if the Packers trade back from #12 and can grab one of the top TE's later in round one or early in round 2, I think a worthwhile investment.

You preach about getting game changers and if you don't think a TE can be a game changer, nothing I say will matter to you.

I also think this is one of the strongest TE draft classes in quite awhile, now maybe it will be equal or better in 2020, but grabbing one of those top TE's may net you a pretty good player for the future.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No matter if they had or hadn't resigned Lewis and Tonyan, I would have been against using the #12 pick on Hockenson. However, after Finley went down in 2013 the Packer offense sorely lacked a game changing TE for too many seasons. Cook was about as close as they came. My hope is that Graham can still be that guy we need in 2019 and 2020, but I sure as hell don't want to go back to just picking up JAGS for what I think is a key piece to Aaron Rodgers offense. So yeah, if the Packers trade back from #12 and can grab one of the top 4/5 TE's later in round one or early in round 2, I think a worthwhile investment.

You preach about getting game changers and if you don't think a TE can be a game changer, nothing I say will matter to you.

I would like a TE that can stretch the seam no doubt but that guy isn't Hockenson. It's Fant and even at that how do you get him on the field?

MM didn't know how to use TE's as his offense became even more predictable. I really think Graham will be okay and be a good target with more speed in the middle around him. M. Lewis was the no.1 blocking TE in the NFL in 2017 before he got sidetracked by MM's warped playbook and couldn't find the field. Tonyan had some splash plays.

Adding another one with such a premium pick would be overkill at this point.

Especially when we don't even have a starting slot receiver at the moment. I'm more worried about Bulaga holding up to at Tackle. It just isn't in the cards.

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing Graham line up for more traditional slot routes, given he gives 0 effort in blocking or chipping.

His value has always been as a big body over the middle which is why he's a TE. If they can get him out of his zone and run routes, he creates an even bigger mismatch.

His hands sucked last year, so all of that is contingent on a lot of things he hasn't done recently.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With what the Packers did in Free Agency, I think they just freed themselves up quite a bit as to what they can do at that #12 spot. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Gute trade back 3-10 spots with a team wanting to grab a QB or Edge player. If he does that and banks a 2nd or early 3rd rounder in the process, we could see 2 pretty decent players at just about any position come out of Round 1, while using that extra pick to grab a top 75 player. 5 top 75 players in 3 rounds, could help provide the building blocks the Packers need for 2019 and beyond.

I actually think Gute and the Packers signed the 2 Smith's to make sure EDGE wasn't a full on need going into this draft, thus giving them the ability to be a lot more flexible with what they do with that #12 pick.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This offense needs a guy that can get chunk plays and can hit the home run from anywhere on the field while always needing to be accounted for.

His name is Parris Campbell.

I just hope the Steelers don't beat us to him. There on him from what I have been seeing.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
With what the Packers did in Free Agency, I think they just freed themselves up quite a bit as to what they can do at that #12 spot. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Gute trade back 3-10 spots with a team wanting to grab a QB or Edge player. If he does that and banks a 2nd or early 3rd rounder in the process, we could see 2 pretty decent players at just about any position come out of Round 1, while using that extra pick to grab a top 75 player. 5 top 75 players in 3 rounds, could help provide the building blocks the Packers need for 2019 and beyond.

I actually think Gute and the Packers signed the 2 Smith's to make sure EDGE wasn't a full on need going into this draft, thus giving them the ability to be a lot more flexible with what they do with that #12 pick.

Yeah. 5 top 75 picks would be great.

About the only thing on D I could see adding early is a LB. Germaine Pratt would be a good get on day 2.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would almost guarantee there gonna go RB day 1-2 as well. I keep hearing RB over and over.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

5 top 75 picks could put TE back in play if the right guy drops.

They need a WR, RB, LB, OL so it could get kind of tight though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah. 4 top 75 picks would be great.

About the only thing on D I could see adding early is a LB. Germain Pratt would be a good get on day 2.

I edited my post, with our 3rd rounder, it would actually be 5 top 75 players, if we traded back from #12.

Campbell will be there at #12 and probably again at #30. However, as much as I also like the guy, I wouldn't take him until pick 45. A pretty could crop of slot guys, I don't think you panic and just take the fastest one.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I edited my post, with our 3rd rounder, it would actually be 5 top 75 players.

Campbell will be there at #12 and probably again at #30. However, as much as I also like the guy, I wouldn't take him until pick 45. A pretty could crop of slot guys, I don't think you panic and just take the fastest one.

Yeah I saw that. Mis-typed. Damn phone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I edited my post, with our 3rd rounder, it would actually be 5 top 75 players, if we traded back from #12.

I would be okay with Deebo Samuel too but some of these other names i've seen popping up are reaches IMO.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m guessing Irv Smith at 30, I think the Hawkeyes will be gone. They did interview Fant already though.

Members online

Latest posts