Packer Free Agents: What should the Packers do? Track Their Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lots of talk about the draft and who to sign in Free Agency, but before all that happens, the Packers will need to make decisions on 21 current players on the roster.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OLB Clay Matthews
WR Randall Cobb
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
TE Marcedes Lewis
TE Lance Kendricks
OL Byron Bell
CB Davon House
CB Bashaud Breeland
LB Jake Ryan
S Eddie Pleasant

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Geronimo Allison
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
OL Lucas Patrick
OL Justin McCray
OL Adam Pankey
OLB Reggie Gilbert
TE Robert Tonyan
WR Jake Kumerow
DL Fadol Brown
RB Lavon Coleman

UFA: I would like to see Wilkerson and Breeland brought back.

Cobb, Mathews and Kendricks: Wouldn't bother me either way, but think Randall and Mathews still have something to contribute, at the right price.

RFA: Brice and Allison should be brought back.

ERFA: Backups, camp bodies and potential depth. McCray, Kumerow and Tonyan for sure you bring back. Gilbert might be worth giving another year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Brice is hot garbage

Brice is a backup caliber player who had to be a starter. I'm ambivalent towards bring him back, but it isn't his fault that the team didn't have a better answer at his position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of talk about the draft and who to sign in Free Agency, but before all that happens, the Packers will need to make decisions on 21 current players on the roster.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OLB Clay Matthews
WR Randall Cobb
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
TE Marcedes Lewis
TE Lance Kendricks
OL Byron Bell
CB Davon House
CB Bashaud Breeland
LB Jake Ryan
S Eddie Pleasant

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Geronimo Allison
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

OL Lucas Patrick
OL Justin McCray
OL Adam Pankey
OLB Reggie Gilbert
TE Robert Tonyan
WR Jake Kumerow
DL Fadol Brown
RB Lavon Coleman

Cobb, Mathews and Kendricks: Wouldn't bother me either way, but think Randall and Mathews still have something to contribute, at the right price.

ERFA: Backups, camp bodies and potential depth. McCray, Kumerow and Tonyan for sure you bring back. Gilbert might be worth giving another year.
Pretty much what I'd go with. I think Kendricks may have a chance to come back as I don't think he's going to cost much at all, and he did seem to shake the drops he had earlier in the year and actually produced. I think they're giving Graham another year, so Tonyan, Graham and Kendricks and someone else and see what happens.

I think Randall is young enough he'll get something from someone. I'm not willing to invest in his health again. When healthy, I think he's still pretty good. But after going thru that will he or won't he with Matthews for a while, Cobb himself, Perry, etc and all after big time investment, I'm ready to move on.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not a huge Brice fan either. But until you have more guys capable of beating him out, he almost is a must to just bring back for depth.

Burnett wants out of his contract in Pittsburgh, which is kind of surprising, because I don't think he will make more, but probably less elsewhere. He isn't a solution to our issues at S, but I would rather have him (cheap) for his experience and knowledge, than most of the current Safeties on the Packers.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's sad is the OL on those lists, who does our scouting?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What's sad is the OL on those lists, who does our scouting?
Taking into consideration what the Packers have invested into the OL, through the draft and in Free Agency in the past 5 years, hard to really be too critical of the results. The one big investment and probably "dud" being Jason Spriggs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell people all the time that the roster is going to look a lot different next year....it almost has to. The Packers are one of the most untalented teams on paper because they just simply haven’t drafted well. I think last year was the first year in a long time i had us graded above a C after the draft was completed.

They have to start drafting guys who can play football and are going to be here ...not just bodies who are going to be here 4 seasons and then gone. Especially these guys drafted high...Randall, Dhaytone Jones, Haha, Rollins, and the way things are looking Josh Jones, and Jason Spriggs look like the next bust unless they take a giant leap next season. They can’t stop there either...they really need to fight hard to get free agents to come to Green Bay. If you have to pay anguy 2-3 million more than what you think his market value is then so be it...otherwise someone else will. Especially guys who are going to come right in and get you closer to winning the SB.

Reaction score
They have to start drafting guys who can play football and are going to be here ...not just bodies who are going to be here 4 seasons and then gone.

Much of this is true. but on the other hand we have to be blessed with football talented people upfront that can get the team these people.

Case in point,
Wasn't Keith Jackson announced he would never play in Green Bay because of cold weather
then Ron Wolf and M. Holmgren personally chartered a private plane to recruit him, same with Reggie White.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
UFA's: I would entertain another one year deal for Muhammad Wilkerson if he's healthy, but it certainly isn't critical. I would also try to get something done with Bashaud Breeland if his ask isn't crazy high, but he is also a strong candidate to go to the highest bidder after losing out on earning potential last season. If Jake Ryan doesn't have a market after missing the whole season, I don't see any problem with bringing him back into camp. Otherwise, I would let these guys walk and it really wouldn't be an issue for me if they didn't resign a single one.

RFA's: Tendering Geronimo Allison seems like a no brainer to me. He has great rapport with Rodgers and would be a safety net for the outside receiver spot in case MVS and EQSB don't take the step forward that we would hope for. A 2nd round tender is projected by overthecap to be about 3M, while an original round about 2M. I would personally use the 2nd round and spend the extra 1M to make sure a team like Cleveland doesn't snake him. An original round tender for either safety or both wouldn't be crazy just given the need for depth there.

ERFA's: You're obviously not going to let Reggie Gilbert or Robert Tonyan go when it's so cheap to keep them. I would also bring back all of the offensive linemen-- not because I think they'd all make the roster, but OL depth is scarce in this league so you want to give yourself as many chances as possible to solidify those spots.

Cuts: Unless the Packers have internal knowledge that Nick Perry was playing injured and they have reason to expect a bounce back in production, I would bite the bullet and cut him (11.1M in dead money and 3.3M in cap savings). It would sting to incur that dead money, but he wasn't playable in 2018 so if that's what they can expect, just move on (and screw him, because unless he was hurt he basically got paid and quit trying). I'm certainly not eager to get rid of Tramon Williams, but if his ~5M in cap savings would allow them to keep the nine year young Bashaud Breeland.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breeland's deal with the Panthers before they voided it was 3 years 24 million with 11 guaranteed. Where do you think he stands in relation to that and is he worth it? I don't think he will come any cheaper.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Breeland's deal with the Panthers before they voided it was 3 years 24 million with 11 guaranteed. Where do you think he stands in relation to that and is he worth it? I don't think he will come any cheaper.

It's hard to gauge his market. On the one hand, I don't think he played like a guy you ideally want as your #1 or #2 corner for the Packers. But he's a good 3rd or a great 4th. And he could potentially play better than he did in 2018 if he had a full offseason with a team/defense. But the cap keeps going up and teams are desperate for corner help.

I think he could get an offer close to that 8M average. This CB free agent class is not very impressive. And if he does, I would let him go if I'm in the FO.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Campbell, breeland, Tonyan, gilbert, McCray, Patrick and Matthews back.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to gauge his market. On the one hand, I don't think he played like a guy you ideally want as your #1 or #2 corner for the Packers. But he's a good 3rd or a great 4th. And he could potentially play better than he did in 2018 if he had a full offseason with a team/defense. But the cap keeps going up and teams are desperate for corner help.

I think he could get an offer close to that 8M average. This CB free agent class is not very impressive. And if he does, I would let him go if I'm in the FO.

Thanks Dantes. I didn't get to see many games but it seemed like he was doing pretty well. I looked at the FA CB list and I agree it's not very impressive. I don't know why but for some reason I keep thinking of him as a safety and when I see what our other safeties have done I think bringing him back is a no brainer. Then I realize he is a corner and although great for depth its not as big a need.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee Rodgers will be pissed if they don’t resign Cobb..
I’d keep Matthews if he is cheap..
Wilkerson
Cobb
Breeland for sure!
Gilbert Tonyan
And I think Mercedes Lewis stays as well because of his relationship with Hackett in Jacksonville plus he would still be our best blocking tightend

D

Deleted member 6794

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OLB Clay Matthews
WR Randall Cobb
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
TE Marcedes Lewis
TE Lance Kendricks
OL Byron Bell
CB Davon House
CB Bashaud Breeland
LB Jake Ryan
S Eddie Pleasant

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Geronimo Allison
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

OL Lucas Patrick
OL Justin McCray
OL Adam Pankey
OLB Reggie Gilbert
TE Robert Tonyan
WR Jake Kumerow
DL Fadol Brown
RB Lavon Coleman

I would absolutely be in favor of re-signing Wilkerson and Breeland. While Allison should be retained out of the group of restricted free agents I'm still undecided on both safeties. Tonyan and Kumerow are no-brainers to bring back and the team should hold on to Gilbert and the offensive linemen as well.

An original round tender for either safety or both wouldn't be crazy just given the need for depth there.

It might make sense to put an original round tender on Campbell as he was a fourth round pick but with Brice having gone undrafted there's no reason to tender him that way.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would absolutely be in favor of re-signing Wilkerson and Breeland. While Allison should be retained out of the group of restricted free agents I'm still undecided on both safeties. Tonyan and Kumerow are no-brainers to bring back and the team should hold on to Gilbert and the offensive linemen as well.

It might make sense to put an original round tender on Campbell as he was a fourth round pick but with Brice having gone undrafted there's no reason to tender him that way.

If they wanted him back for inexpensive depth without a longer term commitment, it might be a solution.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OLB Clay Matthews
WR Randall Cobb
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
TE Marcedes Lewis
TE Lance Kendricks
OL Byron Bell
CB Davon House
CB Bashaud Breeland
LB Jake Ryan
S Eddie Pleasant

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Geronimo Allison
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

OL Lucas Patrick
OL Justin McCray
OL Adam Pankey
OLB Reggie Gilbert
TE Robert Tonyan
WR Jake Kumerow
DL Fadol Brown
RB Lavon Coleman

I'd bring back Cobb on a Tramon Williams-esque deal. 2 yrs $10M. Breeland would get a 1 yr offer and negotiate somewhere in the $5-7M range. I'd sign Bell to a team-friendly 2 yr deal to be a cheaper alternative at starting RT to Bulaga.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE GB PACKERS BRING BACK BRICE. HE IS LITERALLY ONE OF THE WORST PASS DEFENDING SAFETIES I'VE EVER WATCHED IN PRO BALL.

*Plus-I think he was part of the issue in the locker room with effort/attitude. I remember watching the D.C. game after he gave up that bomb early due to horrible positioning/lack of awareness and playing the ball in the air technique when he was arguing with Joe Whitt Jr. as if it wasn't his fault. I would rather just go with 4 solid safeties on the 53 man if we can get Earl Thomas and a really good rookie anyway.*

I'd bring back all the ERFAs except for Brown and Coleman. Those two would have to earn a spot via TC if they don't get an offer from another squad.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be ok bringing back Matthews for a team friendly deal. People forget, but he played decent at MLB and would be good depth for OLB/MLB, but the transition should take place from him to a rookie this year (or Fakrell).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be ok bringing back Matthews for a team friendly deal. People forget, but he played decent at MLB and would be good depth for OLB/MLB, but the transition should take place from him to a rookie this year (or Fakrell).
why would the Packers pay more for a "decent" ILB than another team is offering for an occasional pass rusher? Why would Matthews accept a "team friendly" deal if someone offers more? I am sure his agent has received ballpark $$ numbers from Ball and is quietly, through the grapevine feeling out other teams. The only way Matthews is back on a cheap or team friendly deal is if the rest of the league feels he is washed up. In that case why would we want him?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
why would the Packers pay more for a "decent" ILB than another team is offering for an occasional pass rusher? Why would Matthews accept a "team friendly" deal if someone offers more? I am sure his agent has received ballpark $$ numbers from Ball and is quietly, through the grapevine feeling out other teams. The only way Matthews is back on a cheap or team friendly deal is if the rest of the league feels he is washed up. In that case why would we want him?

Packers probably won't compete in the signing of Clay Matthews. However, they may draft his look a like, LB Chase "The Clay" Winovich out of Michigan.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why would the Packers pay more for a "decent" ILB than another team is offering for an occasional pass rusher?

Depth, leadership. For a team attempting to make a run experienced bodies are necessary. Obviously, if another team wants to pay him big money then let him go. The expectation, however, is that he would no longer be any every down player.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they wanted him back for inexpensive depth without a longer term commitment, it might be a solution.

I wouldn't mind the Packers bringing back Brice. They don't benefit from tendering him with an original rounder as they wouldn't receive any compensation if another team signs him because he went undrafted. Therefore the Packers could offer him less money.

I'd bring back all the ERFAs except for Brown and Coleman. Those two would have to earn a spot via TC if they don't get an offer from another squad.

Exclusive right free agents don't receive any guaranteed money, therefore all of them have to compete for a roster spot during the offseason.

Matthews isn't a decent inside linebacker aside of rushing the passer from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts