Packer Fan or no?

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hvae a hypothetical question for any GB fan.

Say the Packers are eliminated from playoff contention. And say its a good draft, but the elite prospects are in the first couple of picks. The rest of the draft class is average to say the least.
If the packers win the last few games of the season it puts them out of the running for the cream of the crop picks. If they lose they are in and can pick a guy that will help the franchise become better down the road.

Do you root for them to win even if it screws their draft chances and ultimatly hurts the team by not getting a soild player that could contribute to the team winning?

Or do you root for them to lose even though it would be hard, you understand that its for the best?

This is a situation that many teams in all sports face at times.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Win. use our mediocre draft choices for trade and pick-up some free agents or trades.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah that will stir the beercheese soup being the Pack could be basically even or a half game out sunday night.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win..... not all first rounders turn out to be studs and there are hall of famers found in late rounds as well.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win..... not all first rounders turn out to be studs and there are hall of famers found in late rounds as well.
Tony Manderich anyone or for the vikings Underwood or Chris Hovan. Those guys are auditioning for every team in the league with free agency so I find it hard to believe that anybody would tank it

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hvae a hypothetical question for any GB fan.

Say the Packers are eliminated from playoff contention. And say its a good draft, but the elite prospects are in the first couple of picks. The rest of the draft class is average to say the least.
If the packers win the last few games of the season it puts them out of the running for the cream of the crop picks. If they lose they are in and can pick a guy that will help the franchise become better down the road.

Do you root for them to win even if it screws their draft chances and ultimatly hurts the team by not getting a soild player that could contribute to the team winning?

Or do you root for them to lose even though it would be hard, you understand that its for the best?

This is a situation that many teams in all sports face at times.
I totally understand what you're saying. But you have to take into consideration that the games we play may very well afect our rival's chances of going to the playoffs. If we're out, and losing may take the Bears or the Vikings away from the playoffs, then I won't cheer for the Packers. I just can't cheer against, but I can NOT cheer, or get happy that we lost. But if winning will hurt them, even if it takes us from the top-10 draft spot, I'll gladly do it!

I think that's a better scenario than the one you mentioned, because as other people have said, the draft is pretty unpredictable.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea with that rendition of troll, troll, troll the boat. As witty, charming and sophisticated song as it is I was saying why would anybody bring that up as the packers could almost tied for first if they win on sunday. If that is being a troll you baffle me. Lets not fight anymore oK now can I have a hug?

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea with that rendition of troll, troll, troll the boat. As witty, charming and sophisticated song as it is I was saying why would anybody bring that up as the packers could almost tied for first if they win on sunday. If that is being a troll you baffle me. Lets not fight anymore oK now can I have a hug?

Gives you a hug but still feels very confused.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
skol i get it... I think it is a hypothetical (it says so) general question not aimed at any one specific team. Its not aimed at the packers right here and now obviously.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Ok my apologies!!

I took it to mean something else

OP
OP
angryguy77

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I asked the question was to get people to think a little before they throw the "you're not a fan" for being unahppy with GB management.

I consider myself a fan on leave until TT and crew are gone. I would be rooting for Favre to win if he were in detroit or miami or on the moon. I have been told by people that basically my fan card yanked and I am no longer welcome in packer nation. Not by anyone here, but I have had the conversation. I have seen people told that there are not fans because they are rooting for a rival. It sound logical on the surface, but is it really that black and white?

What I'm about to say is not a condemnation of the replies or posters to this thread. I do believe this is a situation that many fans around the nation are posed with at some point in their lives.

The way I see it, if you hope the team wins and it damages the team with no positives from a win, then how can you say you have the best interest of the team at heart? Shouldn't we all want whats best for the team? If we know winning a meaningless game will do nothing for the team but kill their rebuilding efforts, doesnt that work against the team? Can we say we are good loyal fans or are we just out to make ourselves feel better in the short term?

I dont think rooting for a loss means you are not a fan. You want the team to eventually be good. Sometimes it takes a few bumps to get there.

If you are like me and want TT sooner rather than later and feel the only way that will happen is for the pack to lose games.
I see a team that will be slightly above average with no hope to make the leap into elite as long as he is here. Just my opinion, but at the end of the day I think there are a lot of people like me that have lost faith that will come back once he's gone.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew you were going at that angle..You can't compare your example to what is happening now...I do not see how anyone can say they are the same situations...

You want the team to fail to get rid of Ted, and they havent even played 7 games..There is STILL very good chance this team makes the playoffs..

When the time comes they are actually eliminated then MAYBE you have a valid point...But right now you have no legs to stand on...

for myself at least if this team fails to make the playoffs and depending on how they fail it...I will be calling for Teds head..

Will that mean I am going to root for another team???? HELL NO I will still be in front of the tv next year wanting them to win..

That to me means your a fair weather fan..Sorry but I think that is what you call fans that "jump ship" and come back when they feel the team is doing something good in their eyes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Leroy Butler said it best

LeRoy Butler on Browns game, Favre's return to Lambeau - JSOnline

Posted: Oct. 26, 2009 5:04 p.m.

After each game, former Green Bay Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "5 Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature. Butler appears on behalf of his charity, "The LeRoy Butler Foundation" (leroybutlerfoundation.org).

Q. What do you think the fan reaction to Brett Favre should be at Lambeau Field this Sunday and what do you think it actually will be?

The reaction should be 100% about Aaron Rodgers. When Aaron Rodgers comes out there you should give Aaron Rodgers a standing ovation because he’s our guy for the next 10 years.

When Brett comes out you do like any other opposing quarterback, you boo him. If you don’t want to boo him, don’t say anything.

But if you’re going to stand up wearing Packer clothing or a Packer uniform and cheer when Brett Favre comes out, you should bring a bag and put it over your head. You don’t cheer for somebody to beat your team, I don’t care who it is. You don’t cheer for another quarterback.

If you want to cheer Brett, just bring a bag, put it over your head and you can cheer, and no one will hear you and that’s fine. This is Aaron Rodgers’ show. Don’t let somebody come into your back yard and cheer against you. You don’t cheer for another guy to beat your team.

I hope I’m crystal clear with these fans who say they love to see Brett Favre. Well, Brett Favre is gone. It’s Aaron Rodgers’ show. He’s the No. 1-rated quarterback in the NFC, including Brett Favre.

I’m happy we’ll be good for the next 10 years. I hope they’ll cheer Aaron and boo Brett. If they don’t want to boo him, that’s their right. But any other quarterback they’d boo, what makes him so special? I mean, wait until he has his number retired, you can cheer him then.

You can applaud him all you want. You can’t do that the day of the game, and want your team to win. That’s standing on the fence. You’re either a Packer fan or a Brett fan. If you’re a Brett fan, go buy some purple and wear purple.

I have a strong feeling on this, this is my team. I played 12 years for this team. Anybody who comes into that stadium, I want them to lose. If it were me coming back, I wouldn’t expect anyone to cheer for me when I’m going to destroy your team. Of course not.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
The reason I asked the question was to get people to think a little before they throw the "you're not a fan" for being unahppy with GB management.

I consider myself a fan on leave until TT and crew are gone. I would be rooting for Favre to win if he were in detroit or miami or on the moon. I have been told by people that basically my fan card yanked and I am no longer welcome in packer nation. Not by anyone here, but I have had the conversation. I have seen people told that there are not fans because they are rooting for a rival. It sound logical on the surface, but is it really that black and white?
(...)

That's so true, and there in lies the paradox ... A "True" <insert team name here> fan doesn't have to have "tunnel vision", yet that is exactly what most "die-hard" fans expect others to have, in order to be "true fans" ...

(...)
What I'm about to say is not a condemnation of the replies or posters to this thread. I do believe this is a situation that many fans around the nation are posed with at some point in their lives.

The way I see it, if you hope the team wins and it damages the team with no positives from a win, then how can you say you have the best interest of the team at heart? Shouldn't we all want whats best for the team? If we know winning a meaningless game will do nothing for the team but kill their rebuilding efforts, doesnt that work against the team? Can we say we are good loyal fans or are we just out to make ourselves feel better in the short term?
(...)

You pretty much "nailed" it here ... And with how the draft system is setup it *can* actually (sometimes) "pay off", to play bad in one season ... especially if you are rebuilding or want to ... in order to get a higher draft pick ...

(...) I dont think rooting for a loss means you are not a fan. You want the team to eventually be good. Sometimes it takes a few bumps to get there.

If you are like me and want TT sooner rather than later and feel the only way that will happen is for the pack to lose games.
I see a team that will be slightly above average with no hope to make the leap into elite as long as he is here. Just my opinion, but at the end of the day I think there are a lot of people like me that have lost faith that will come back once he's gone.

Given the previous seasons results ... having a losing season actually makes sense ... if you look at how the team has been managed so far, in regards to "rebuilding" through the draft and being negligent (in terms of acquiring players via the FA market) ...

(I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm hypothesizing here ...)

If you are planning on (almost purely) of rebuilding through the draft ... it actually makes sense (from a management point of view) NOT to do too well in those seasons where you plan on getting the "best draft choices" (in terms of rankings in the draft picks).

Ofcourse I'm purely speculating here, however given the past history this actually makes more sense ...

OP
OP
angryguy77

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My leave actually came last year. It wasnt just because of Brett, that was the tipping point for me. I just really do not like TT, I have a hard time rooting for him to succeed. Trust me I'm not a guy that jumps ship when things go bad. I've been a celtics fan since 91 missing the good years of the 80's and going through many baaaaaaad years.

I dont think the fair weather label is jusitfied. My dad for example has watched the pack for over 40 years and never waivered but he's not a fan as of now and feels the same as I do. He suffered through all kinds of bad packer teams, I dont think he would be qualified as a fair weather fan either. He never missed a game.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Nothing new under the sun in that article really ... - He's pretty much saying what most critics have been saying for the past 5 weeks now ...

There is a tremendous difference in wanting to do what the Steelers did this Sunday, and then actually be doing it ... - At this point I just don't see the Packers defense being able to do the same with the current roster ...

I guess that Leroy Butler doesn't consider alot of the Packer fans (that were still "cheering" for Favre) that were attending the game at the Metrodome "real Packer" fans then ... - All though I liked the article ... however, to me it more sounds like the proto-typical "blow-up" that always comes whenever there is a much anticipated and hyped game coming up ...

He seems to forget that it is actually possible to be "honoring" #4 going into the game and also be cheering for the Packers to win the game at the same time, without not being Packer Fans ... If anything ... mostly he is just trying to create even more parity than what already exists or atleast just adding fuel to the fire ...

Latest posts