Pack vs Saints Week 7 Noon

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Saints defense from the last three games.

Passing defense

62/113 54.9% 660 yards. 5.8 yards per attempt. 3 TD's 7 Interceptions. 13 sacks. 55.2 passer rating for the teams they played.

Rushing defense.

56 attempts for 256 yards 4.6 average. 1 TD.

Hundley and the Packers have their his work cut out.

Good information, I know the Saints have given up their share of yards and points, but they have also faced:
  • Brady (447 YDS, 3 TDS)
  • Stafford (312 YDS, 3 TDS)
  • Bradford (346 YDS, 3 TDS)
. The only 2 QB's they held somewhat in check were:
  • Newton (167 YDS, 0 TDS)
  • Cutler (164 YDS, 0 TDS).

I don't consider Hundley better than any of those 5 QB's. Rodgers on the other hand (not his bad throwing arm), may have lit them up! I definitely don't view the Saints defense as one that the current Packers offense will be able to dictate the game.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or Tony Mandarich! :eek: I remember that year REALLY well. All we had to do was lose the last game of the year and we get the #1 pick and Troy Aikman. Instead, we win and get Mandarich!!

The silver lining of all that, that would have changed the whole future of the Packers. Favre probably would never have been a Packer, nor probably Rodgers. So it all worked out just fine! But goddddd......Tony Mandarich!

Most of us wanted Aikman, but were really excited about Mandarich. All the scouts said he'd be the best tackle EVER. Too bad he had to get off the steroids after college. Dang rules.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Most of us wanted Aikman, but were really excited about Mandarich. All the scouts said he'd be the best tackle EVER. Too bad he had to get off the steroids after college. Dang rules.
Agreed on the perceived greatness of Mandarich. He was a beast for sure. I saw him play against the Badgers when he was at MSU and he looked like a man among boys on the field and up close. Back then, who knows, maybe the Packers would have taken him with the #1 anyway. Still goes down as the #1 Packer draft bust in my book.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Good information, I know the Saints have given up their share of yards and points, but they have also faced:
  • Brady (447 YDS, 3 TDS)

I don't consider Hundley better than any of those 5 QB's. Rodgers on the other hand (not his bad throwing arm), may have lit them up! I definitely don't view the Saints defense as one that the current Packers offense will be able to dictate the game.
Stafford had 153 yards in the first half and most of the rest in the Third quarter. In the fourth quarter the Lions had 14 yards of total offensive production.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my opposition forum trawl finding.

Saints fans think the upcoming game is a "trap" game. I for one have no clue on what a "trap" game is. I would have expected unabashed optimism from Saints fans, but reaction seems to be muted. They are expecting a win but a close game.

http://blackandgold.com/saints/84788-lambeau.html

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/packers-trap-game-374180/index2.html#.WeifJRMrKT9
If I didn't know better, I'd swear this post was lifted from here
After all my years of watching the Saints there are 2 definite historical trends:

1) If the starting QB of the opposing team goes down in game or if an unknown QB comes in as the starter we will make him look like the second coming of Dan Marino.

2) If our defense backs the opposing team up into their end zone and they have a 3rd and 20+ to go for a first, they will ~ 90% of the time gain 30+ yards.
From the first link.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to break out the black armbands and sulk the rest of the season. 5 out of the next 10, or 6, should get a wildcard and then it is a crapshoot. I'll go with a 31-28 victory with Hundley over 200 and 3 TD's.... Addition by subtraction as long as we have 1 point more than the other team a win is a WIN.

H

HardRightEdge

Wait.....there is a game next Sunday? Thought with #12 going down, they would cancel the rest of the NFL season or was that just some fans canceling it for themselves? :coffee:
They're not going to refund tickets and cancel broadcasts so don't be silly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Saints fans think the upcoming game is a "trap" game. I for one have no clue on what a "trap" game is.

A trap game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat. As a result a person or team may not prepare as thoroughly as they would for a formidable opponent. Often this attitude and its attendant lack of preparation lead to a loss.

I expect pretty much what we saw on Sunday with Hundley, but hope that just like many starting QB's he eventually shines and becomes the one silver lining out of this whole mess, excellent trade bait before the 2018 draft.

I definitely expect Hundley to perform better with a week of preparation while receiving all snaps with the first team offense in practice.

GB was barely winning games with Rodgers. He was good enough to overcome the rest of the team's shortfalls (mediocre defense at best, and not much of a running game). Hundley doesn't look bad, but he's no Rodgers. I don't see GB winning many more games this season...

In my opinion the Packers have four winnable games (CHI, CLE, BAL, TB) left on the schedule if the team performs up to their potential and might surprise another team even with Hundley starting.

• Brady (447 YDS, 3 TDS)

While Hundley definitely isn't better than any of the quarterbacks on that list I'm optimistic he's able to put up better numbers than Newton and Cutler vs. the Saints.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bulaga cleared concussion protocol, so that is good news. If we can get both him and Bahk playing Sunday, that might help Hundley quite a bit.

Any news on Taylor?

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers rule out Ahmad Brooks, Morgan Burnett, Aaron Rodgers and Joe Thomas for Sunday's game vs. the Saints with Lane Taylor being doubtful. Davon House, Corey Linsley (back) and Damarious Randall listed as questionable.

While that means both tackles will be able to play the interior of the offensive line is reason for concern especially as the team doesn't have a viable backup at center.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This may well make me look really stupid, but I have a hunch that the Packers are going to upset the Saints at Lambeau this week.

Traditionally, Drew Brees is worse on the road. Lambeau is one of his farther trips.

The Saints improved defense has been living off of turnovers. In their three wins against the Lions, Panthers, and Dolphins, they had 7 takeaways (6 INT and 1 FR). In their two losses to start the year, they had 0 takeaways and had 29 and 36 points put up on them. Their defense isn't really stopping the opposing offense as long as said offense doesn't give the ball away. They're 24th in yards allowed per drive, 16th in points allowed per drive, and 20th in % of series against their defense that result in a 1D or TD. That discrepancy (24th in yards vs. 16th in points) is a result of the turnovers.

Of course, the Packers could turn the ball over and fall into the same problem that the Dolphins, Panthers, and Lions did. However, if they avoid the turnovers they should be able to move the offense down the field and score. One could make the case that the turnovers will continue because they're a function of how well they're playing on defense, but I don't necessarily think that's the case. They have one really excellent player-- Cameron Jordan. There are a few other nice pieces around him, but nothing spectacular that would make one think they're bound to keep up this TO pace. Turnovers can be a result of how great a unit is playing, but they can also be fluky.

I think people might be sleeping on Brett Hundley. He's a stellar athlete who can throw. With MM having a week to plan specifically for Hundley, and (hopefully) having the starting tackles back, Hundley may well surprise some people. I hope to see a game plan that gets the kid on the move and uses his athleticism as a runner. He's certainly not going to be Rodgers, but I do believe that he can score points against this defense. If Taylor, Bakhtiari, and Bulaga are out again though, this whole prediction might go up in smoke. That's my disclaimer.

And lastly, I can envision a scenario where the team rallies, at least for a time, and plays to prove people wrong that they can't win without Rodgers. Whether a new identity with some ability to win can emerge out of that mentality for the rest of the season remains to be seen. But it would be really funny if this was correct and GB made Vegas look really stupid for making them a 5.5 point home dog.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like rain for the duration of the game. That could negate the Saints offense to the point where it could be a close game.

H

HardRightEdge

Looks like rain for the duration of the game. That could negate the Saints offense to the point where it could be a close game.
There's a lot of slipping and falling when that hybrid turf gets wet. He who wears the right cleats wins. ;)

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS INACTIVES RB Devante Mays S Morgan Burnett LB Joe Thomas LB Ahmad Brooks OL Lane Taylor OL Adam Pankey DT Montravius Adams

SAINTS INACTIVES QB Taysom Hill CB Sterling Moore LB Hau’oli Kikaha WR Austin Carr WR Willie Snead IV John Hughes John Greco

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Arron Jones played great. Jones is a real RB we need.

Good time to find a decent running back, with no passing game, Jones might be able to keep us within 1-2 TD's a game ;) He was the only bright spot in the game for me today.

Members online

Latest posts