Opponents' thoughts about 2009 Packers

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the Green Bay game will interest Frisco more because of their choice of Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers with the No.1 overall pick of the draft 4 years ago. But don't take their buttering us up too seriously. While it looks like a win now, so did Atlanta, Carolina and Houston at Lambeau last season at about this same time. Mike Singletary is a tough guy coach, they've got rb Frank Gore, added wr's Isaac Bruce & Michael Crabtree and their defense is no pushover with end Justin Smith, lb's Takeo Spikes & Patrick Willis, cb Nate Clements at their core. And they had a better record (7-9) than the Packers in '08. They need a qb. Hey, maybe Brett Favre should go there if he only plays for the love of the game and isn't out to diss the Pack. Most or all of his rationale for going to Minnesota could apply to San Francisco as well. Wouldn't it be a better legacy to finish up in the line of Joe Montana & Steve Young, even Jeff Garcia than Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, Brooks Bollinger, Kelly Holcomb and Brad Johnson?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerlifer: They don't want him. The only team that wants Brett is the vikings. The Jets sure don't want him. We don't want him. And noone seems to be fighting for him with minnesota. IMO that speaks volumes. But the article makes some sense. Everyone seems to forget that not only we were NFCN champs 2 years ago, we were #1 NFC seed tied with Dallas in wins. Unlike the vikings powerhouse, that the best record the past years was a mere 10-6...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Packerlifer: They don't want him. The only team that wants Brett is the vikings. The Jets sure don't want him. We don't want him. And noone seems to be fighting for him with minnesota. IMO that speaks volumes. But the article makes some sense. Everyone seems to forget that not only we were NFCN champs 2 years ago, we were #1 NFC seed tied with Dallas in wins. Unlike the vikings powerhouse, that the best record the past years was a mere 10-6...
Didn't the Packers get beat by a team that was 10-6 in the NFC Championship game that year?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the Packers get beat by a team that was 10-6 in the NFC Championship game that year?
And what did that team won? Oh yeah, the Super Bowl... When was the last time the vikings... Nevermind. But in all seriousness, the Packers Giants game was a closer one than the SB itself. Yeah, I know all about the Tyree catch, but we can make the same case about Favre's interception. Good luck with him by the way.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was being sarcastic about Favre. The Niners have Shaun Hill, a guy let go by the Queens.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's because Favre was here. A-Rod and TT are pretenders.

The Pack is going nowhere and will be whipped twice by the Vikes this year.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers won't be swept or whipped by the Viqueens this season; regardless of what goes down about Favre. Worst case scenario is a split. The early season Monday nighter there will be tough but the more decisive game in the division will be the second one at Lambeau in November.
The Packers are 5-1 in last six vs. Minny and would be 6-0 if not for Mason Crosby's missed field goal, Aaron Rodgers' td pass to Greg Jennings in 4th qtr. called back by penalty, Desmond Bishop's whiff on the tackle of Chester Taylor's 47 yds. catch & run, and the officials failing to penalize the Queens 15 yds. on the ensuing kickoff for Adrian Peterson removing his helmet on the field after his 28 yds. go ahead td score.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sounds like the words of a Favre fan, and not a Packer fan.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Packers won't be swept or whipped by the Viqueens this season; regardless of what goes down about Favre. Worst case scenario is a split. The early season Monday nighter there will be tough but the more decisive game in the division will be the second one at Lambeau in November.
The Packers are 5-1 in last six vs. Minny and would be 6-0 if not for Mason Crosby's missed field goal, Aaron Rodgers' td pass to Greg Jennings in 4th qtr. called back by penalty, Desmond Bishop's whiff on the tackle of Chester Taylor's 47 yds. catch & run, and the officials failing to penalize the Queens 15 yds. on the ensuing kickoff for Adrian Peterson removing his helmet on the field after his 28 yds. go ahead td score.

Wah..wah..wah..the sun was in Arod's eyes...can you think of anymore excuses? I can't wait to hear the excuses flying this year to cover for the lame-o's Arod and Ted. Yet, you same people ripped Favre for going 14-3 in '07...what hypocrites.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wah..wah..wah..the sun was in Arod's eyes...can you think of anymore excuses? I can't wait to hear the excuses flying this year to cover for the lame-o's Arod and Ted. Yet, you same people ripped Favre for going 14-3 in '07...what hypocrites.

Hows it going 66?

Still like to rile up feathers eh?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who criticized Favre for going 13-3? I thought it was a great season and well played by Favre as well as the rest of the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who criticized Favre for going 13-3? I thought it was a great season and well played by Favre as well as the rest of the team.

That guys only motive is to blast Ted and Rodgers any chance he gets..

At least that is how he was not to long ago..

Maybe the new name is a new attitude?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerlifer: Everyone seems to forget that not only we were NFCN champs 2 years ago, we were #1 NFC seed tied with Dallas in wins. Unlike the vikings powerhouse, that the best record the past years was a mere 10-6...

And the Bears went 13-3 with a trip to the Super Bowl in 2006 but that means nothing in 2009.
They were 11-5 in 2005.
They were 7-9 in 2007.
They were 9-7 in 2008
That means that the Bears are 40-24 over the last 4 seasons yet you feel that they suck even after adding Jay Cutler. Why?
Throw out the Bears 13-3 season and they are 27-21.

Why skip over the 6-10 2008 season to find sunshine in the Packer’s 2007 season?
They were 8-8 in 2006.
They were 4-12 in 2005.
That means that the Packers are 31-33 over the last 4 seasons yet you feel that they are primed for a run to the title. Why?
Throw out the Packers 13-3 season just like I did with the Bears and they are 18-30.
This is the team to beat?

Going by the last few years it really looks like the 13-3 season was more of a fluke for the Packers than a benchmark.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There're some differences between our 13-3 and your 13-3.
First, ours is 2 seasons away. Yours is 3.
Second and foremost, we have the youngest team in the league. You have an aging defense, and the defense was the focal point of your campaign. And you had no running game in 07. So your defense was average, and you couldn't run the ball. Hence the 7-9.
If you look at GB's campaign since Teddy came in, it's 4-12, 8-8, 13-3, 6-10. There was clear improvement except for last year. Calculaing total wins on a rebuilding team is no parameter. But I've stated before, I still can't tell which one is the fluke year. This year will determinate if it was 08 or 07.
And no GB fan in a clear state of mind (or at least making a serious analyzis) will say that the bears suck. Neither will say that the queens suck. But most GB fans will say that we are the better team. That's not to say the rivals are bad. I honestly believe this is the thoughest NFCN since God knows when.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There're some differences between our 13-3 and your 13-3.
First, ours is 2 seasons away. Yours is 3.
Second and foremost, we have the youngest team in the league. You have an aging defense, and the defense was the focal point of your campaign. And you had no running game in 07. So your defense was average, and you couldn't run the ball. Hence the 7-9.
If you look at GB's campaign since Teddy came in, it's 4-12, 8-8, 13-3, 6-10. There was clear improvement except for last year. Calculaing total wins on a rebuilding team is no parameter. But I've stated before, I still can't tell which one is the fluke year. This year will determinate if it was 08 or 07.
And no GB fan in a clear state of mind (or at least making a serious analyzis) will say that the bears suck. Neither will say that the queens suck. But most GB fans will say that we are the better team. That's not to say the rivals are bad. I honestly believe this is the thoughest NFCN since God knows when.

The Bears had the youngest team in the NFL in 2005 and 2006.
So now that are old and washed up?
Really?
What is the average age of the Bears defensive players?
They have one starter over the age of 30.

The Bears D looked average last year because they had too many key players out with injuries.
You can't have both of your CBs miss huge chunks of the season while playing the Cover-2 and not look bad.
Tommie Harris was hurt all year and he is the key to their pass rush.
Urlacher was coming off of neck surgery and he was not an impact player for most of the season.
Throw in a bland passing game because the QB could not move the chains and you have just what the Bears had.
9-7.

Not making excuses. That kind of stuff happens as you know.
I agree that the division is going to be really tight this year and that should be fun.

Maybe I am wrong about the Packers but one winning season in the last four is not that impressive.
I would love to see the Bears and Packers face each other in the playoffs just once.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think that the Bears (or the Vikings) suck, I think its a very good division with a good history. As a fan your going to say your team is better in close situations like this, but were just going to have to wait till the season to know for sure.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Bears D looked average last year because they had too many key players out with injuries.
You can't have both of your CBs miss huge chunks of the season while playing the Cover-2 and not look bad.
Tommie Harris was hurt all year and he is the key to their pass rush.
Urlacher was coming off of neck surgery and he was not an impact player for most of the season.
wow. Sounds a lot like the Packers. Harris missed games. Woodson played with a broken finger. Bigby missed a lot of games. Barnett missed a lot of games, didn't finish the season. Cullen Jenkins missed a lot of games, only played the first few games of the season. 5 starters on defense were injuried. On the offense, both tackles weren't 100%, and our starting guard were injuried. that's 3 out of 5 positions in the oline. Rodgers played with a dislocated shoulder. James Jones was also injuried.
-
There's the reason for the 6-10. Also bad defensive coaching (fired). And bad ST play (drafted st standouts and coach "retired").
So that's why I'm saying there's improvement and that last year was the fluke year, and not 07. And the return of all those injuried players, with the addition of 2 1st round picks and a great DC, are the bases for my prediction that we'll make the playoffs this year.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. Sounds a lot like the Packers. Harris missed games. Woodson played with a broken finger. Bigby missed a lot of games. Barnett missed a lot of games, didn't finish the season. Cullen Jenkins missed a lot of games, only played the first few games of the season. 5 starters on defense were injuried. On the offense, both tackles weren't 100%, and our starting guard were injuried. that's 3 out of 5 positions in the oline. Rodgers played with a dislocated shoulder. James Jones was also injuried.
-
There's the reason for the 6-10. Also bad defensive coaching (fired). And bad ST play (drafted st standouts and coach "retired").
So that's why I'm saying there's improvement and that last year was the fluke year, and not 07. And the return of all those injuried players, with the addition of 2 1st round picks and a great DC, are the bases for my prediction that we'll make the playoffs this year.

Yeah, I know the Packers had their share of injuries last year and I am not writing them off at all. They have a great passing game but they will have to adjust to the 3-4 in a hurry and that rarely happens.
Historically teams that go to the 3-4 take at least one season to get it together.
I am glad that the Bears play them right out of the gate for that very reason.
We will see.

I would not mind if the Bears went a new D.
I hate the Cover-2 and so did Ron Rivera and that is why he was let go.
Since he left the defense has slacked off even though the talent is there. They still have their moments but not like before.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, I know the Packers had their share of injuries last year and I am not writing them off at all. They have a great passing game but they will have to adjust to the 3-4 in a hurry and that rarely happens.
Historically teams that go to the 3-4 take at least one season to get it .

Maybe overall history, but when Dom takes over a D it jumps up numerous spots from the year before..

Year before he became the DC, then the year he became the DC

pitts in 91 gave up 344 points, 92 they gave up 255

Jax in 98 gave up 338 points, 99 gave up 217

2005 Miami gave up 317 points, 06 they gave up 283

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe overall history, but when Dom takes over a D it jumps up numerous spots from the year before..

Year before he became the DC, then the year he became the DC

pitts in 91 gave up 344 points, 92 they gave up 255

Jax in 98 gave up 338 points, 99 gave up 217

2005 Miami gave up 317 points, 06 they gave up 283

Were those teams changing from the 4-3 to a 3-4?
Just asking because I don’t know and if they did then I cannot argue with those numbers.
Those are impressive changes to say the least. (except for the Miami total)

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were. And the first 2 years as HC of the Panthers, they were a top 10 defense. Don't know if he just failed the next years, or if he became less involved in the playcalling, or what. But everytime he took a job the defense improved immensely and early. But as HC he failed...

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know how quickly Green Bay will transition comfortably to the 3-4, but I think they brought in the right rookies to do it. I dont know if the rookies will bring immediate success, but I think they'll help.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were. And the first 2 years as HC of the Panthers, they were a top 10 defense. Don't know if he just failed the next years, or if he became less involved in the playcalling, or what. But everytime he took a job the defense improved immensely and early. But as HC he failed...

Conveniently you forgot to mention the Texans. What were those numbers?

Jim Bates made huge strides as DC in GB in '05. The wins didn't materialize but the point totals were decidedly lower than '04.

I don't foresee an immediately happy marriage between MM & Capers. Capers is far more experienced & respected in the league than MM. Hiring a much older man to take oreders from a much younger HC isn't exactly what I consider a recipe for success.

**** LeBeau was solidly entrenched as DC long before Tomlin became HC in PIT so that comparison isn't valid.

I'm sure there are a few success stories (Holmgren/Shurmur) but ex-HCs are usually willing to once again become HCs so MM better not let this team slide any further.

Members online

Latest posts