Official Seattle thread

Rocket Hawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also I'll make one final point about attacking the Hawks' defense. It seems like everyone assumes that the Hawks have a fearsome pass rush. They don't. It's not bad mind you, better than Dallas' pass rush. Their QB sacks is pretty modest, Avril is their top guy for sacks and hurries. They are up there in QB hurries, but not near the top. Yet many are expecting that Rodgers is going to be under all sorts of pressure. That ignores how much the Packers OL has improved, especially in pass protection.

A smart game plan combining Lacy running, quick passes and play actions could keep the Hawks defense off balance enough not to let them get to Rodgers very much.

I don't like screens at all against Seattle, they're so fast on defense. They don't have a crazy blitzing line and the linebackers flow to the ball better than anybody. we might get one or 2, but i just think they're too fast along the line and in the 2nd level to expect that to gain much. a WR screen? I like that idea better

Eddie needs to find the crease and hit it quickly, no dance. You hit that nail on the head. I think Starks and Lacy are going to be used a lot in this game. As long as Rodgers is upright and somewhat mobile, I think we'll be able to move the ball. It's going to come down to penalties and turnovers again on offense. If we play cleanly, I like our chances. If not, well good luck.

on Defense, they run and run and run and the score is always close and they always have a lead. Then later in the game the defense gambles, rush and wilson scrambles and hits the big play. We need an early lead, and the defense needs to play with Discipline when he breaks contain.

Quoted both of you for TRUTH.

SEA pass rush is all about speed around the edges and occasionally stunts from those same fast guys. Michael Bennett is the only guy who gets regularly double teamed, but he is worthy of it on every play. Carroll wants the ball, and he feels like a QB under pressure throwing into his ultra-talented secondary is the way to that. But as stated above somewhere, long down and distance i.e. from a sack or penalty is where SEA tastes blood in the water.

The short passing game is the way to attack Seattle, but - and this is a big one: those guys need to get down after the catch. Seattle has a habit of standing up the receiver and trying to beat the ball off of them like a piñata. They are absolutely trained to do that. It causes 3 things: 1- fumbles, 2- injuries/concussions, 3- most important the receivers start to think twice about the next catch over the middle. Whether they want to or not, after you have been drilled by a missile in your kidney, you might just have a twinge of doubt about that next catch. So take what you can and get down.

Obviously if you can get runs up the gut of the D, that get you 5 yards on 1st down you can beat them that way, but that is true of every team in the NFL, even the #1 defense. This is usually a coaching thing, if GB is getting 4-5 ypc on first down, MM needs to stick with it. We see all too often coaches outsmarting themselves and even though their team covered 35 yards on 7 plays, they throw 2 incompletions in a row, and end up 3rd and long against SEA which is really hard to convert.

Regarding screens, yeah - don't do them. They are too fast for the screen game, but WR screens can work if you make that first block. RS#25 is a really good tackler, so the blocking needs to be there if you go his way.

SEA has the deepest roster in the NFL, thanks to John Schneider. BUT they CAN be beat in several ways, just less ways than every other team.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While they are underrated, they do have a tendency to make costly mistakes. In a way I trust them with Seattle's receivers, but there are times in which they blow big plays at the least opportune times.
The same can be said of any team. Is there a single team in the NFL that hasn't given up big pass plays from time to time? Absolutely not.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a list of the QBs Seattle has played in their last seven games...just sayin'.

Drew Stanton
Colin Kaepernick
Mark Sanchez
Colin Kaepernick
Ryan Lindley
Shaun Hill
Cam Newton

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like screens at all against Seattle, they're so fast on defense. They don't have a crazy blitzing line and the linebackers flow to the ball better than anybody. we might get one or 2, but i just think they're too fast along the line and in the 2nd level to expect that to gain much. a WR screen? I like that idea better

Eddie needs to find the crease and hit it quickly, no dance. You hit that nail on the head. I think Starks and Lacy are going to be used a lot in this game. As long as Rodgers is upright and somewhat mobile, I think we'll be able to move the ball. It's going to come down to penalties and turnovers again on offense. If we play cleanly, I like our chances. If not, well good luck.

on Defense, they run and run and run and the score is always close and they always have a lead. Then later in the game the defense gambles, rush and wilson scrambles and hits the big play. We need an early lead, and the defense needs to play with Discipline when he breaks contain.

Wagner, Avril and Chancellor smell out screens as well as any defense I've ever seen. They almost always result in lossed yardage.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329120-aaron-rodgers-smart-to-avoid-richard-sherman-success-depends-on-execution Whatever else we can say about what the Packers must do to win this championship game this weekend there's one thing they can't repeat from September. Set off a chain of events by their own mistakes that makes the game get away on them.

In the opener ,in the third quarter, the Packers made a one score game become a 19 point Seattle advantage off an interception, a safety and a sustained 9 play, 53 yd. drive. And the game went from 17-10 t0 29-10 just like that.

An unraveling sequence and a bad quarter like that again will mean no Super Bowl this season for the Green & Gold.

Last edited:

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever else we can say about what the Packers must do to win this championship game this weekend there's one thing they can't repeat from September. Set off a chain of events by their own mistakes that makes the game get away on them.

In the opener ,in the third quarter, the Packers made a one score game become a 19 point Seattle advantage off an interception, a safety and a sustained 9 play, 53 yd. drive. And the game went from 17-10 t0 29-10 just like that.

An unraveling sequence and a bad quarter like that again will mean no Super Bowl this season for the Green & Gold.

That second half "unraveling" has been the signature of the Hawks opponents for the last seven games. It's like Carroll and his coordinators let the team play vanilla in the first half and just lock in to a few small weaknesses as targets of opportunity for qtrs 3 and 4. Then as the 3rd qtr opens up they start jumping routes and smacking the ball out of the play-makers hands early in the second half. They do it by design. Turnover Thursday is no joke at Seahawk's practices. That's what the team was working on yesterday. They will pick out a variety of likely scenarios on Thursday then watch for those situations to show themselves in the first half of the game then apply their training to those moments in the second half. One can say that turnovers are just luck but here in Seattle it is a science that plays out over and over.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That second half "unraveling" has been the signature of the Hawks opponents for the last seven games. It's like Carroll and his coordinators let the team play vanilla in the first half and just lock in to a few small weaknesses as targets of opportunity for qtrs 3 and 4. Then as the 3rd qtr opens up they start jumping routes and smacking the ball out of the play-makers hands early in the second half. They do it by design. Turnover Thursday is no joke at Seahawk's practices. That's what the team was working on yesterday. They will pick out a variety of likely scenarios on Thursday then watch for those situations to show themselves in the first half of the game then apply their training to those moments in the second half. One can say that turnovers are just luck but here in Seattle it is a science that plays out over and over.

Understand the Seahawks have been better with the second half of games recently, but not buying that it is due to playing a vanilla game early and changing it later on.

If the Seahawks are schematically capable of blowing out teams, there would be no reason at all to save if for one half. They would know about any weaknesses before the games too from scouting.

I don't watch the Seahawks much, but it could be due to wearing opponents down or the other team being unable to execute well for the whole game.

Sky King

Reaction score
If you put typewriters in a room full of monkeys eventually one of them is going to write War and Peace. So it is with predicting how a game is going to be played and who is going to win and by what score. Somebody on the forum is going to be close to right and they'll be sure to remind us all of who they are on Sunday evening. It's all very interesting to read, though. No worries here.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understand the Seahawks have been better with the second half of games recently, but not buying that it is due to playing a vanilla game early and changing it later on.

If the Seahawks are schematically capable of blowing out teams, there would be no reason at all to save if for one half. They would know about any weaknesses before the games too from scouting.

I don't watch the Seahawks much, but it could be due to wearing opponents down or the other team being unable to execute well for the whole game.

Well you can think what you want but if you REALLY pay attention to the Hawks and what Carroll preaches and what the player's reaction to that preaching is by what they say you would have a better understanding of the importance of his SYSTEM.

How games evolve through the 4 qtrs and 60 minutes of playing time can be controlled to some degree. If you pay close attention to the Hawks you will have to see that they clearly do MUCH more on both Offense and Defense in the second halves of their games since game 10 of this season.

It has happened to often without a break in the pattern to be a fluke.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers has any improvement at all this week in his leg, we should be able to win. Carolina gave them all they could handle through 3.5 quarters. That game largely came down to one play and one bad pass by Newton. They'll have to play better than they did last week and we need Rodgers as healthy as possible.

All the Hawks could handle for 3.5 qtrs? Odd analysis.

Really? The score was 31-10 until the very end of the game we gave up a meaningless TD making the final score 31-17.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The short passing game is the way to attack Seattle, but - and this is a big one: those guys need to get down after the catch. Seattle has a habit of standing up the receiver and trying to beat the ball off of them like a piñata. They are absolutely trained to do that. It causes 3 things: 1- fumbles, 2- injuries/concussions, 3- most important the receivers start to think twice about the next catch over the middle. Whether they want to or not, after you have been drilled by a missile in your kidney, you might just have a twinge of doubt about that next catch. So take what you can and get down.

That's where you need a big bruising TE like Rob Gronkowski to go over the middle for you that even guys like Kam Chancellor will take on head-to-head at their own risk. Unfortunately, Gronkowski is a Patriot.

Totally agree about the screen pass. Only on a clear blitz will a screen have a chance of working.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO easy win for us guys. They will be underestimating us. Aaron Rodgers is gonna pick the D apart. Their D is overated playing weak *** QB's with weak offences.

They got lucky against us last time. This time around I expect a blowout. Our D is as good as their overated D and Wilson is a fluke. Lynch isn't running over us either.

GB 32
Seachickens 7

GB TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB players are welcome as any Americans to go to the Super Bowl. The cost for 70 or so tickets to the game, airline flights and hotels..meals will be around $350,000.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need Rodgers to show up for 4 quarters instead of 1. Looks like the lack of practice impacted his game last week. Lacy needs to show up for 4 quarters instead of 2. Jordy needs to show up period.

Pretty much this, although as someone mentioned Nelson was double-covered practically the whole game against Dallas but he did drop a ball.

I also think that in the 1st half Rodgers wasn't sure about his calf at all. His passes were sailing because of it. Lacy had an asthma attack which he sometimes gets in the cold weather. That shouldn't be problem this weekend although I hope his knee isn't going to be an issue.

I doubt they try to bracket cover Nelson. Cobb is the more dangerous receiver IMO and I wouldn't be surprised to see the defense concentrate on him, although Cobb moves around so much it's not easy to do.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's where you need a big bruising TE like Rob Gronkowski to go over the middle for you that even guys like Kam Chancellor will take on head-to-head at their own risk. Unfortunately, Gronkowski is a Patriot.

Totally agree about the screen pass. Only on a clear blitz will a screen have a chance of working.

Demetrius Thomas gets hit and knocked back 7 yard with three broken ribs in short crossing pattern catch in SB 49.

Thomas is 6' 3" 230 lb.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chancellor levels 300 lb OT Eric Winston to tackle running back for big loss.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demetrius Thomas gets hit and knocked back 7 yard with three broken ribs in short crossing pattern catch in SB 49.

Thomas is 6' 3" 230 lb.

Chancellor levels 300 lb OT Eric Winston to tackle running back for big loss.

Hey Chancellor is tough but if you don't think Gronkowski couldn't put Chancellor on his *** then you're buying to the kool-aid a bit too much. It usually takes 2-3 guys to tackle Gronkowski. And that block of Eric Winston's was about the worst technique i've seen. he had no leverage. That wasn't so much because of Chancellor as it was a plain lousy block. And as far as Thomas, nice lead with the helmet there Kam.

PS. That's not to say that the hit was illegal, it wasn't. He put his helmet in Thomas' chest, just like he did on Davis when he was up in the air. Both legal hits, but it's no surprise a guy gets hurt when he's blindsided by a helmet hit from a defender.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There's no denying the Seahawks have a great defense but it seems like you're exaggerating a little bit as they aren't producing a lot of turnovers. They were ranked 21st in the league with 23 (four less than the Packers). In addition to that no offense had less turnovers than the Packers, so I wouldn't expect them to do it tomorrow.

All the Hawks could handle for 3.5 qtrs? Odd analysis.

Really? The score was 31-10 until the very end of the game we gave up a meaningless TD making the final score 31-17.

The score was 14-10 after three quarters and the Panthers could have made it a one score game with six minutes left if not for a terrible pick six by Newton.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying the Seahawks have a great defense but it seems like you're exaggerating a little bit as they aren't producing a lot of turnovers. They were ranked 21st in the league with 23 (four less than the Packers). In addition to that no offense had less turnovers than the Packers, so I wouldn't expect them to do it tomorrow.

The score was 14-10 after three quarters and the Panthers could have made it a one score game with six minutes left if not for a terrible pick six by Newton.

It also could have been a whole lot worse at the end of the third with Seattle having a clear INT muffed by Thomas and a forced fumble recovered by the Panthers. Score SHOULD have been 28-10 at the end of 3.

Chancellor was more than five yards behind the receiver when Newton threw the ball. Not many Safties nor CBs could have jumped the pass like Kam did. He just had outstanding anticipation and an unbelievable burst of speed to pull it off.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It also could have been a whole lot worse at the end of the third with Seattle having a clear INT muffed by Thomas and a forced fumble recovered by the Panthers. Score SHOULD have been 28-10 at the end of 3.

Chancellor was more than five yards behind the receiver when Newton threw the ball. Not many Safties nor CBs could have jumped the pass like Kam did. He just had outstanding anticipation and an unbelievable burst of speed to pull it off.
Come on man, this is the kind of p00p we are used to hearing from bear fans. You're better than that. There are probably 3 or 4 plays Panthers left on the field and they can say the score should have been 24-14 in their favor.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Kam Chancellor, Wagner, et al are tough?

Have you ever seen Hawk tackle a golfing spectator?

Now he may have never lit up a NFL player in his 9 year career and he prefers to make tackles 5+ yard passed the line of scrimmage but if you want some to take down a scrawny golf fan Hawk is your man.

Oh, and by the way AJ has finally been sent to the bench so that 200+ yards rushing the Seahawks gained in the first game is unlikely to be duplicated.

Without the softest inside linebacker (Hawk) and dumbest (Brad Jones) in the league starting this game (as they did in game 1) the Pack's D will be much, much better. Not Seahawks good, but much better.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man, this is the kind of p00p we are used to hearing from bear fans. You're better than that. There are probably 3 or 4 plays Panthers left on the field and they can say the score should have been 24-14 in their favor.

Da Bears? EEEWWWW! I just threw up in my mouth a little bit!

That's punching below the belt!

PackersRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about this game the more I am confident for the Greenbay Packers.

I think we are destined to win this game and go to the superbowl and I think Seattle is going to be shocked at the onslaught GB is gonna pull out on Sunday.

I CAN'T WAIT. Lacy with over 110 yards. Rodgers with over 3 touchdowns. Wilson will play his worst playoff career and get 2 interceptions. Lynch will be ineffective and under 50 yards.

Latest posts