Official Packers vs Vikings studs and duds Part 2

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would figure after we changed playcallers this year people would learn..Clements, McCarthy, Rodgers, or even Roddell himself could call plays and this offense would find a way to screw everything up.

It's really no science it..call what works until the other team stops it. Those lame *** crossing routes? Same two running plays? McCarthy is garbage... Look at where all the big plays come from in the passing game? Sandlot type stuff. I've heard analyst and numerous ppl kill McCarthy because he is predictable and reluctant to change stuff up and defenses have caught on to him. He's slways stunk at making adjustments this is nothing new . I can't wait to hear him get killed by the media all this week...I wish he would step down . Tired of him and his staff. They had a good run. Next

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs :I'll give a little love to the "D", Corsby maybe let him play a little "D"some time:tup:
Duds : Offense, Arod, Josh BullSitton, and his gang of 4 other lineman, who give a real meaning to Offensive, and the real big DUD Mike Mc'timeout way to go mike got the play calling back blow a timeout and Hell Mary..

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really no science it..call what works until the other team stops it. Those lame *** crossing routes? Same two running plays? McCarthy is garbage... Look at where all the big plays come from in the passing game? Sandlot type stuff. I've heard analyst and numerous ppl kill McCarthy because he is predictable and reluctant to change stuff up and defenses have caught on to him. He's slways stunk at making adjustments this is nothing new . I can't wait to hear him get killed by the media all this week...I wish he would step down . Tired of him and his staff. They had a good run. Next

If you think they run only the same two running plays, there is no way you can make a good assessment of the play calling.

From tonight, can you name any specific plays that didn't work due to the call?

Also, when MM has called the plays for a very good offense for years and now they are struggling with him, do you think MM all of sudden got worse at calling plays?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think they run only the same two running plays, there is no way you can make a good assessment of the play calling.

Also, when MM has called the plays for a very good offense for years and now they are struggling with him, do you think MM all of sudden got worse at calling plays?

There are two options, either Rodgers got bad in one year or the Packers have lost enough talent that antiquated route concepts no longer work. Go read the article by Doug Farrar on SI.com that compares the Cardinals and Packers offense. He does a great job of pointing out that the Packers run a lot of route concepts from 40 years ago. Remove the overwhelming talent at QB and WR (something many coaches could win with) and suddenly coaching becomes a big deal.

Really comes down to this, Peyton Manning created job security for mediocre coaching in Indianapolis, I think McCarthy is better than those guys but a great QB can create an illusion that the coaching staff is better than they really are.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs:
matthews
sitton
randall
crosby

duds:
rodgers

I think you put Sitton in the wrong category. I understand he stepped into a position he doesn't normally play, but he got worked out there just like Barclay did last week. If I'm remembering it correctly, it was Sitton's guy that got into Rodgers' arm and caused the fumble. That one turned out to be important.

We need to address the LT position in the offseason. Find one in the draft or bring in a vet, I don't care which.

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only highlight of the game was Mason stripping the ball from the returner. Too bad we couldn't do anything with it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stud: @captainWIMM for taking time to visit my concession stand at the far end of the stadium from his seats.
All the guys that are hanging on to the eye-catching women I saw from said stand.

Duds: Saw way to much purple clothing for a Packer game.

I didn't see the game for anything else.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are two options, either Rodgers got bad in one year or the Packers have lost enough talent that antiquated route concepts no longer work. Go read the article by Doug Farrar on SI.com that compares the Cardinals and Packers offense. He does a great job of pointing out that the Packers run a lot of route concepts from 40 years ago. Remove the overwhelming talent at QB and WR (something many coaches could win with) and suddenly coaching becomes a big deal.

Really comes down to this, Peyton Manning created job security for mediocre coaching in Indianapolis, I think McCarthy is better than those guys but a great QB can create an illusion that the coaching staff is better than they really are.

Found the article and I couldn't disagree more with Mr. Farrar. Here's a quote from it,

"Yes, the line was a disaster; yes, the receivers are maddeningly inconsistent; and yes, Rodgers needs to play more consistently. But it’s very clear that Green Bay’s primary issue on offense is a series of route concepts that would have been out of date 40 years ago: a series of straight vertical routes with very few combination concepts to create easy openings and almost nothing up the middle to give Rodgers easy reads."

The guy admits everyone on the offense didn't execute and then blames the scheme instead. Maybe the routes are contributing, I'm not qualified to tell, but in no way were they the biggest issue vs Arizona.

He basically says Arizona's offense is better, therefore they have a better scheme. He completely ignores that their offensive line blocks well and the WRs beat one on one match ups consistently without fancy routes.

The Arizona game was a perfect example of Packers players getting beat all over the field, while Arizona won their matchups.

There isn't a coach in the NFL that has a playbook that makes up for the poor execution vs. Arizona.

Doug Farrar needs to spend some time with some NFL coaches if he thinks a coach can just scheme his way to success despite the execution on the field.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, Mike McCarthy... How do you feel about having 10 wins now?

Rodgers and the offense play with no heart for the first 3 1/2 quarters AGAIN. I blame the management and team offense leaders.

Studs
Crosby for that strip tackle and for his usual excellent kicking
Hyde for a catch that would make Jackie Robinson proud
Matthews. Had a good game.

Duds
McCarthy. The buck stops with him, IMO
Masthay for his usual horrible punting. Second season of being horrible. 7 billion people on this planet and the Packers cannot find an upgrade?
Cobb for yet another key drop
And...

A. Rodgers. Under threw Jones a few times and missed other open receivers many times. He just hasn't been very good this season. Is it Olivia Munn?

Ease up on Rodgers, he was playing behind a makeshift Oline with receivers who can't get open. Anyone familiar with me knows that I haven't shied away from criticizing Rodgers.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Are you saying Olivia Munn doing to Rodgers what Kim Kardashian did to Reggie Bush???? or..... Jessica Simpson and Tony Romo-ish???

I wasn't trying to make a statement. It was pretty much just a joking comment. Then again... :tdown:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: The group of girls sitting in front of me at the game who spent more time
Snap Chatting than actually watching the game. I hope they paid for their own tickets and didn't waste someone else's money.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not going to jump on either side right now, but I'll name one play that I'd like removed from the playbook for now. The freaking tight end screen. Why are we throwing a screen to one of our slowest players? Has this ever worked?

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: The group of girls sitting in front of me at the game who spent more time
Snap Chatting than actually watching the game. I hope they paid for their own tickets and didn't waste someone else's money.
Yeah, I see that in just about every type of game I go to. Most likely Daddykins had some tickets to get rid of, and Darling Daughter was bored and dragged her BFF's to a game.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I gotta agree with the others, MM play calling and general offensive scheme is lame and stale. Rodgers has hid this in past years but now we are seeing what a complete buffoon MM is as a coach. Yes our receivers are slow, but they are still NFL receivers. Unfortunately I think TT and MM are a package so I do not see anything changing (although I would love both to be gone).

No matter the play calling, the Packers go where Rodgers takes them and right now it is down the toilet.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta agree with the others, MM play calling and general offensive scheme is lame and stale. Rodgers has hid this in past years but now we are seeing what a complete buffoon MM is as a coach. Yes our receivers are slow, but they are still NFL receivers. Unfortunately I think TT and MM are a package so I do not see anything changing (although I would love both to be gone).

No matter the play calling, the Packers go where Rodgers takes them and right now it is down the toilet.

So his QB starts playing worse, making the offense worse, and therefore, the scheme is bad?

You contradict yourself by blaming the play calling and scheme, and then say it doesn't matter because the team goes with Rodgers.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:

Mason Crosby
Jeff Janis
Jake Ryan run stopping
Clay Matthews pressure

Duds:
Offense
Jake Ryan in coverage and his introduction is truly embarrassing

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So his QB starts playing worse, making the offense worse, and therefore, the scheme is bad?

You contradict yourself by blaming the play calling and scheme, and then say it doesn't matter because the team goes with Rodgers.

That's what makes sports forums so interesting. I read his post to mean that McCarthy's shortfalls have previously been covered up by a superhuman QB. Now that AR isn't doing that any more, the problems become obvious.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And suddenly our WR corps go from one of the best in the NFL to awful in less than a year. Sans Jordy, it's the same guys. We certainly didnt improve things with Jones for Jordy, but suddenly they are incompetent?

Studs:
Crosby. Ran down a player known for speed and running ability? Awesome!
Hyde. Best INT I may have ever seen. That was a tough catch.

Duds:
Campen and others related to campen, see my post from last week.
Olivia Mumm. Rodgers was a man driven by ****** frustration. I will say no more.
Rodgers: lots of poor throws. It's not the OL, they have sucked much of his career. The WRs are getting open but arent seen or passes are off. Hope he gets it back.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were in the game only because of Minnesota's inept offense, which was outgained by more than 100 yds by a team with no offense for 3 quarters. A good QB would have had several more TDs on throws to open receivers that Bridgewater missed, and we would have witnessed another route. Our best defense is a weak opposing QB.

Minnesota will be beaten by a solid Seahawks team (I will be rooting for the Yikes as I can't stand The Cheerleader; and the Yikes never win when I want them to) and we have little chance against a hot QB in Washington. Then the "fixin" begins.... and it won't involve getting rid of our QB--the only offensive weapon we currently have. It appears we need new players or new coaches. Probably some of both on both sides of the ball.