Official Pack vs Viks studs n duds

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jaire played excellently in pass coverage. Jefferson's day was not his fault.

Here's the thing. To blow up and go off in the first half, Jefferson beat... basically no one.

20 Yard Reception: Walker bumps him off the snap and drops to a spot in zone; open by 5 yards before the ball is thrown.

5 Yard Touchdown: Comes in pre-snap motion and is open by 10 feet right at the 2 yard line.

36 Yard Touchdown: Untouched off the LOS, he runs a simple crosser and catches the ball with no one within 10 yards.

64 yard Reception: Runs a deep crossing route right behind Amos who, inexplicably, runs towards the LOS even as Jefferson is coming towards him.

So right there, that's 125 yards and 2 scores that Jefferson didn't even have to beat anyone to get open and produce. The Packers' scheme and lack of execution quite literally handed it to him. He did beat Savage and Douglas and Smith (Lol) on plays that I recall, but his production against actual attempts to cover him was pretty modest.

This is why I say that Barry got taken to the cleaners. Minnesota either broke his system or he didn't have his players prepared to adjust to relatively basic maneuvers like pre-snap motion and drag routes.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs..kickers and long snapper..no botched snaps or holds..I guess only 1 extra pt isn't alot to go on..but Coco looks to be an improvement as well as O'Donnell.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
Alexander- Has to be one of the worst individual whippings I have ever seen. He was embarrassed. Wow is he overrated. Jefferson schooled him and showed him to be completed outclassed. Gute spent big money on him just be rewarded with that kind of performance. The rest of the team sucked as well. Everybody looked a step slow. Nobody was in game shape.
Watson- gotta catch the ball. It wasn't a tough catch.
Studs- Nobody. Pass rush was pathetic. One sack doesn't get it done.
Did you actually watch the game? I’m at a loss how you could be so completely wrong about something this fundamental.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you actually watch the game? I’m at a loss how you could be so completely wrong about something this fundamental.
it does make you wonder sometimes doesn't it?

had he been talking about Stokes I might have more understanding. I don't think he had a good game yesterday, but Alexander seemed to be his old self from what I could see. They largely avoided him though, most likely because he was one of the only ones doing his job back there.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it does make you wonder sometimes doesn't it?

had he been talking about Stokes I might have more understanding. I don't think he had a good game yesterday, but Alexander seemed to be his old self from what I could see. They largely avoided him though, most likely because he was one of the only ones doing his job back there.
Yeah… Stokes definitely seemed a bit lost unfortunately….

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cornerback play is notoriously volatile from year-to-year; part of what separates the elite ones is that they can be very good every season. Even Kevin King looked like a decent corner one season. I think Stokes will be a good corner but I wouldn't be surprised if, in only his second season, we saw some regression in his play this season. Even Alexander was occasionally really awful in his second season (he gave up 200+ yards to Amari Cooper in one game that season).

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio over lunch that Receivers Jaire was covering were targeted 3 times for zero catches. Not sure he was whipped all over the field yesterday.
Yeah, but was it a fake news radio station?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't use Deguara as the FB there on the goal line if they were gonna go for it.
Rpo

Rodgers should have pulled it out of dillions belly and ran to side. If a tone comes down then toss it

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF needs to get more agressive.
For 1 get in ATs face and rell him, we paying you 50mil a year here is what I want you to do. There will be drops and mistakes that's OK but spread the ball around and keep throwing to CW and RD the only way they get better is by feeding them the ball and giving them a chance to make aues and buolc there confidence.

2. untill Bac and Jenk come back 2-3 TE sets more offen then not.

3 . 25-35 touches per game by Dillon and AJ
#D needs to get agressive. There is no reason why this front 7 can't cone up with 3 sucks a game a ff and int.

I think the D# will be fine reast of the way the O needs a lot more work

D

Deleted member 6794

I was unhappy we didn't take the sure points there instead of trying to score a TD on the goal line. IMO you take your points, especially on the road.

I'm in favor of going for it but there's no reason to try to run that ball with the offensive line struggling.

tynimiller I'm gonna disagree slightly with one part of this post. The O-Line due to injuries was playing with one guy out of position and another guy who should probably not have made the roster.

There's no doubt the offensive line should be much improved once Bakhtiari and Jenkins are playing but there's no doubt the unit that lined up on Sunday played bad.

That's ok occasionally, as long as we are spreading the ball around and utilizing the strength on any given week. We target the RB like 23 times? As I said before the game, when you are missing your primary WR and you've got limited options, get your veterans involved more. Our RB duo was averaging 6.3 yards per carry, but only combined for 15 runs?? Not a good O outcome speaks to not a good O gameplan..

I mentioned it on several occasions in the offseason that Rodgers targeted running backs on 55% of his attempts in the seven games Adams missed over the past three seasons. With a lack of talent at both receiver and tight end I won't be surprised if either Dillon or Jones end up being the leading receiver in several games this year.

I think Bakh has also had enough time to heal up. What is the point in keeping someone who is only capable of bench warming???! Think He is done too!

The Packers can't afford to move on from Bakhtiari because of all the dead money that would count against their cap.

As for Week 1s, MLF is now 1-3 with all four being away games (Chicago, Minnesota, New Orleans, Minnesota).

Just for the record, the Packers are 2-2 in week 1 under MLF with wins at Chicago (10-3 in 2019) and Minnesota (43-34 in '20).

I just heard on the radio over lunch that Receivers Jaire was covering were targeted 3 times for zero catches. Not sure he was whipped all over the field yesterday.

According to other sources Alexander gave up a catch or two but didn't allow any significant yardage.

Well...I do remember he took his time before signing.

It took some time for Watson to sign his contract but with a rookie wage scale in place there's not a whole lot of negotiating going on.

For 1 get in ATs face and rell him, we paying you 50mil a year here is what I want you to do. There will be drops and mistakes that's OK but spread the ball around and keep throwing to CW and RD the only way they get better is by feeding them the ball and giving them a chance to make aues and buolc there confidence.

Rodgers targeted nine different pass catchers on Sunday. Him not spreading the ball around wasn't an issue at all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF needs to get more agressive.

2. untill Bac and Jenk come back 2-3 TE sets more offen then not.

3 . 25-35 touches per game by Dillon and AJ
#D needs to get agressive. There is no reason why this front 7 can't cone up with 3 sucks a game a ff and int.

I think the D# will be fine reast of the way the O needs a lot more work

Uhm, you want MLF to just destroy any relationship he's built with Rodgers by telling the best QB ever how to do his job? MLF should just walk up to Rodgers and, in a lecturing yet pissed tone, tell him, "Hey, we paid you a lot of money because of how good you are but now I'm going to tell you how to do your job! Don't try to make the right play, just force the ball to rookies who may or not be where they're supposed to be while also avoiding angry refrigerators who are trying to hurt you and the only thing between you and them is a beat up oline." Methinks that conversation is not going to go where you think it does. Not sure why you mention spreading the ball around as something Rodgers needs to improve upon, no player had more than 6 targets.

2-3 TE sets the majority of the time will absolutely ensure that the offense continues to stumble constantly. Using jumbo formations occasionally is great but the majority of the time? Might as well just run the option.

I absolutely agree with 3.

I think the D was plenty aggressive against the Vikings, the team pressured Cousins quite a bit (Packers generated pressure 18 times) but the secondary was awful so Cousins was able to get rid of the ball most of the time. Hopefully the defensive staff will realize that wasting the highest paid corner in the NFL on one side of the field constantly allows offenses to pretty much waste his time by putting second or third receivers on his side and the primary target opposite him.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest duds were the coaches. How many eggs have they laid under MLF now?

I think we're going to be in for a loooong season of ugly offense. The D needs to step up in a big way.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest duds were the coaches. How many eggs have they laid under MLF now?

I think we're going to be in for a loooong season of ugly offense. The D needs to step up in a big way.

How many eggs? You'll have to explain yourself further because typically that means when you put up zero...which under MLF we have never done in regular seasons or playoffs....we've only scored less than 10 twice before this past Sunday (Week 12 in 2019 losing 37-8 vs 49ers..and Week 1 2021 vs Saints losing 38-3).

If you mean just losing in general....which I doubt, it's been VERY few times. As you no doubt know MLF has been 39-9 in his first three seasons, putting him now at 39-10 in regular season. Playoffs he is 2-3 of course.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many eggs? You'll have to explain yourself further because typically that means when you put up zero...which under MLF we have never done in regular seasons or playoffs....we've only scored less than 10 twice before this past Sunday (Week 12 in 2019 losing 37-8 vs 49ers..and Week 1 2021 vs Saints losing 38-3).

If you mean just losing in general....which I doubt, it's been VERY few times. As you no doubt know MLF has been 39-9 in his first three seasons, putting him now at 39-10 in regular season. Playoffs he is 2-3 of course.

MLF has a wonderful regular season record in a bottom feeder division, congratulations.

This team has taken a dump on the field in 2/3 playoff runs under MLF. Which is far more important than beating up on the likes of the Bears and Lions each season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF has a wonderful regular season record in a bottom feeder division, congratulations.

This team has taken a dump on the field in 2/3 playoff runs under MLF. Which is far more important than beating up on the likes of the Bears and Lions each season.

None of what you just said actually explained what you meant further?

Everyone is well aware of the failings in the Playoffs....TERRIBLE all around game against the 49ers at home last year and the collapse against the Buccs before that, however it appeared we were talking about regular season and not playoffs. Just trying to pinpoint what you were meaning first.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's look at MLF's record against playoff teams (regular season AND playoffs)

2019 Year playoff opponents: Eagles, 49ers (twice), Seahawks, Vikings (twice), Chiefs for total of seven games - we went 4 -3 in them.
2020 Year playoff opponents: Bears (twice), Saints, Buccs (twice), Rams, Titans, Colts for total of eight games - we went 5-3 in them.
2021 Year playoff opponents: 49ers (twice), Steelers, Bengals, Cardinals, Chiefs, Rams for total of seven games - we went 4-3 in them.

Beating good teams isn't easy (and 2021 included the likes of Ravens, Browns, Vikings who were .500 or so teams)...to have a 13-9 record against high level competition is quite good. Is in hall of fame worthy...honestly according to some others yes - IF he mixes a run in with a SB. Sustained playoff run has eluded MLF as of now...but the dude has barely even been a head coach for long at all.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No the National Football League is no place for woosies. The players earn a ton of money and each one needs to do His job week in and week out. Yes it’s a tough business but they are being paid to do their jobs! Matt’s job and the rest of the coaches jobs are to have them ready to do their jobs. They sure DIDN’T look ready against the Vikings. Plenty of blame to go around and now since I live on the border with MN I have to listen to all the bragging from the Viking fans!!!

Reaction score
No the National Football League is no place for woosies. The players earn a ton of money and each one needs to do His job week in and week out. Yes it’s a tough business but they are being paid to do their jobs! Matt’s job and the rest of the coaches jobs are to have them ready to do their jobs. They sure DIDN’T look ready against the Vikings. Plenty of blame to go around and now since I live on the border with MN I have to listen to all the bragging from the Viking fans!!!
I grew up between LaCrosse and Winona so I know that feeling! :laugh: