Official Pack vs Viks studs n duds

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Dillion really is the only one that comes to my mind offensively. Defensively, Preston Smith had a decent game.

Duds: Offensive line, defensive backs, wide receivers as a whole.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
Alexander- Has to be one of the worst individual whippings I have ever seen. He was embarrassed. Wow is he overrated. Jefferson schooled him and showed him to be completed outclassed. Gute spent big money on him just be rewarded with that kind of performance. The rest of the team sucked as well. Everybody looked a step slow. Nobody was in game shape.
Watson- gotta catch the ball. It wasn't a tough catch.
Studs- Nobody. Pass rush was pathetic. One sack doesn't get it done.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Duds
Alexander- Has to be one of the worst individual whippings I have ever seen. He was embarrassed. Wow is he overrated. Jefferson schooled him and showed him to be completed outclassed. Gute spent big money on him just be rewarded with that kind of performance. The rest of the team sucked as well. Everybody looked a step slow. Nobody was in game shape.
Ummm

You are aware he wasnt even covering him? You are 100000 percent wrong

Following the game, Alexander took time out of his evening to put Packers coaches on absolute blast for not shadowing Jefferson with him. He did not hold back.

All week, (I was) asking for that matchup. But it ain’t about me. It’s about the team. It ain’t about me. If it was my way, you know what I would be doing.”

Green Bay Packers star Jaire Alexander after Sunday’s loss

Reaction score
Another play that cost us 7 was the goal line stand. If you watch that, Marcedes comes in motion from left wide to left inline as if he saw ZaDarius would have a free run. Z was the only other player close enough to draw a line to Dillon. Then Marcedes abandons that position to draw Harrison (who was nowhere close enough to get in on the play) by running a fake route towards the sideline.
Then the only one left to block Z was Nij. Nij angled towards the Center to double block the NT, but left Z with a clear route line to the RB.

Now I’m not a Coordinator, by my guess is the David Bakhtiari doesn’t double the iDT there. He blocks the Edge who’s just off his shoulder, so as not to give them a free run at the line of that play It’s the type of scenario that isn’t part of the play, but after that MN Timeout? It’s a veteran move to assess risk and switch who you’re blocking. Marcedes job was to carry the Safety away, but in that scenario? Harrison had ZERO chance at affecting that play because he was back 3 yards off the side. Marcedes could’ve just stayed there and met Z. There’s 2 players that both neglected Z Smith and it’s not like Z was sneaking around hiding. I’d say Nij was 80% to blame because the OT should always block the free runner before doubling a DT.

It’s just another example of a beautiful drive that was blown up by the inexperience at Tackle. I know Watson will get all the blame, but if we can’t score from 1 yard with a RB who’s a bulldozer then we’ve got much much bigger issues than #9 going on a go Route

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As Rodgers pointed out in his presser, the entire team left tons of opportunities out there.

I'm not worried at all. I just hate that it had to be week 1 against a division opponent.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s my thank God I won the first week. Makes the Packers loss hurt less but not really. Rodgers miss with Watson early just sucked lol! Just gotta move on.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now.

1st game of year.

Duds?

Studs?
Pretty much as I predicted. I had the Vikes 34-14 in this one. Not far off. I knew without Lazard MLF would have to dial it down like AZ. But when I saw Bahk and Jenkins scratched I knew we were doomed. The consistency of the running game and protection of Rodgers depends on that. We knew the rookies would make mistakes today. So that is why we had to find another way to win. But the Vikings are an outstanding team. Even in Lambeau they win this. It will take about 4 games to elevate the offense and on board the new guys. By the Jets game we should be ready to rumble.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m just going to say

Stud: Dillon.
AJ Dillon was our lead receiver today.
That pretty much said it all.

We’re already light in experience at WR and we lose our most Experienced Perimeter guy (Lazard) the week of the season starter.

Truth be told they did give up a couple big plays, but otherwise the D gave our O multiple opportunities to get in the game also. 7 points? Even 14 points would’ve been meager. Listen. This MN are not slouches. They are likely a 10-11 Win team. We were stale on D and only gave up 23 points to a pretty good Offense. Had we had another legit veteran WR and a couple regulars at OT?
We probably squeak out a Win
I believe being unable to maximize the preseason set us back. MLF had 2 weeks to prepare. And although undermanned he has come through even in short weeks. Look how well Andy Reid had his team ready today against a top notch opponent. On the other hand look how flat Dallas was at home. Most of all the SB Champs get creamed at home. Go figure.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s my thank God I won the first week. Makes the Packers loss hurt less but not really. Rodgers miss with Watson early just sucked lol! Just gotta move on.
The red zone failure hurt just as much. MLF needs to get the FB position into this offense. Dillon could have used a Kuhn and the same for Rodgers.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe being unable to maximize the preseason set us back. MLF had 2 weeks to prepare. And although undermanned he has come through even in short weeks. Look how well Andy Reid had his team ready today against a top notch opponent.
Because Andy Reid actually played Mahomes in the preseason. Like the Packers, the Chiefs also have a bunch of new receivers in their lineup.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had the Packers won that Owen's game in SF it may have Andy who could have succeeded Holmgren.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm

You are aware he wasnt even covering him? You are 100000 percent wrong

Following the game, Alexander took time out of his evening to put Packers coaches on absolute blast for not shadowing Jefferson with him. He did not hold back.

All week, (I was) asking for that matchup. But it ain’t about me. It’s about the team. It ain’t about me. If it was my way, you know what I would be doing.”

Green Bay Packers star Jaire Alexander after Sunday’s loss
He did cover Jefferson on plenty of passes and it wasn't good. Stokes sucked too but Alexander gave up key backbreaking completions where he was torched. It was coverage by committee because he couldn't get the job done. The defense failed in every way. Pass rush was futile. One sack against a middling o line was pathetic. When the team struggles, the stars need to pick the team up. That didn't happen. Rodgers pouted on the sideline and failed to check down enough when the WR's were missing in action and Alexander didn't do crap. MLF was also clueless. had the same preparation against the Saints. It worked so well he tried it again vs the Vikings.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did cover Jefferson on plenty of passes and it wasn't good. Stokes sucked too but Alexander gave up key backbreaking completions where he was torched. It was coverage by committee because he couldn't get the job done. The defense failed in every way. Pass rush was futile. One sack against a middling o line was pathetic. When the team struggles, the stars need to pick the team up. That didn't happen. Rodgers pouted on the sideline and failed to check down enough when the WR's were missing in action and Alexander didn't do crap. MLF was also clueless. had the same preparation against the Saints. It worked so well he tried it again vs the Vikings.
I cannot argue.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree with a lot of other posters that there's no reason to put too much stock into the first game of the season it was disappointing the Packers weren't better prepared, especially considering they were blown out last season vs. the Saints as well.

I fully expect them to beat the Bears in week 2 and look significantly improved. If that doesn't happen it would be justified to get concerned though.

Just copy and paste my comment from last years *** kicking from the Saints. Idk but this feels like a season where we got 10-7 and miss the playoffs. Yes it’s only week 1 but we do not have any dynamic players on offense outside of Rodgers and the o line is a mess. Throw in the fact Rodgers didn’t like rookie wrs and yea. 10-7

If you feel the same way about the team as after week 1 of last season it might be smart to remember that they won 13 games.

Watson dropped touchdown was inexcusable. Didn't this guy hold out for more money? Haha

No, he didn't.

Q looked good on a bunch of plays. Did he get hurt or something?

Yes, Walker left the game with an injury.

Are O-line is a disaster. O-line coach who knows might not be the same genius we had last year.

Stenavich is still around as the offensive coordinator.

If for any reason this season goes sideways its time to Fire the fruitcake of a coach and hide something with some fk.. toughest or promote Bisaccia to replace pretty boy and kick thus guys ***.

MLF has won more games during his first three seasons than any other coach in NFL history. There's no reason to think about moving on from him.

Stud: Dillon.
AJ Dillon was our lead receiver today.
That pretty much said it all.

It might happen more than once that one of the running backs will end up being the leading receiver in a game this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
I can't say I remember that happening. In fact most times it appeared they moved Jefferson away from Jaire if he was even on the same side of the field as hime pre-snap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First....it amazes me how many folks come back for the season just to spread misinformation or not even know staff/roster make up...do that stuff year round like the rest of us LOL

Anyways, haven't rewatched the game slower and more direct but my initial Studs and Duds:

DUDS:
Offensive Line
....I'm sorry but zero reason not to have Tom in with the starters, I will have to watch the film back directly for OL play but when he had to come in, I thought he may have been the best OL in there most snaps. Hanson struggled at time but also I'll admit did better than I expected he would. Overall this OL play isn't going to cut it at all and must do better.
Watson...Honestly, many of MVS's drops were even that bad. Rodgers missed putting it right into his bread basket by like two inches, couldn't have expected a better ball. While there was no momentum or wind in our sails at that moment, that play I swear cut a hole into our sails for the day.
MLF...I still think he is one of the best in the game, but I felt he was either just out schemed or simply off his anticipatory play calling. Was shocked to not see the jet sweep motion more to hopefully get the defense shifting and sliding.
Defense as a whole...but pressure lacked. Didn't get enough pressure to stop the ability of Jefferson to find space in coverage....even just a little pressure changes that game possibly.

STUDS:
AJ Dillon
...15 touches, 91 yards (6+ yards a touch) and a TD. Dillon again looks FLUID as a receiver and is something I love seeing screens and short flat tosses too....he makes a guy miss or bullies one defender it is a guarantee 5 or more yards.
Aaron Jones...8 touches, 76 yards (9+ yards per touch). The backfield putting up 160+ yards is something we will see weekly I imagine and honestly will be closer to 200 most games I suspect.
Preston...there were few guys that seemed to get pressure as much as Smith on Sunday. I look forward to testing this against what actually happened when I watch it back.

Honorable Mention:
Kingsley Enagbare...I often found myself seeing his number around plays, in the right position. He did look like a rookie at times but I was very pleasantly surprised at how natural and fluid he seemed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Dillon and Jones when they were given the ball

Duds: Coaches and front office - Gameplan on offense and defense was so awful I'm making no judgements on the players. People said the Packers needed to draft a high-end receiver the last couple of years to help out the offense and we got to see why against the Vikings.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Dillon and Jones when they were given the ball

Duds: Coaches and front office - Gameplan on offense and defense was so awful I'm making no judgements on the players. People said the Packers needed to draft a high-end receiver the last couple of years to help out the offense and we got to see why against the Vikings.

You say no judgement on players because it was the gameplan and coaches...yet then claim a first round WR would magically have made the difference? I'm confused.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
Alexander was fine when he covered Jefferson but he should have been on their WR every snap but wasn't.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another play that cost us 7 was the goal line stand. If you watch that, Marcedes comes in motion from left wide to left inline as if he saw ZaDarius would have a free run. Z was the only other player close enough to draw a line to Dillon. Then Marcedes abandons that position to draw Harrison (who was nowhere close enough to get in on the play) by running a fake route towards the sideline.
Then the only one left to block Z was Nij. Nij angled towards the Center to double block the NT, but left Z with a clear route line to the RB.

Now I’m not a Coordinator, by my guess is the David Bakhtiari doesn’t double the iDT there. He blocks the Edge who’s just off his shoulder, so as not to give them a free run at the line of that play It’s the type of scenario that isn’t part of the play, but after that MN Timeout? It’s a veteran move to assess risk and switch who you’re blocking. Marcedes job was to carry the Safety away, but in that scenario? Harrison had ZERO chance at affecting that play because he was back 3 yards off the side. Marcedes could’ve just stayed there and met Z. There’s 2 players that both neglected Z Smith and it’s not like Z was sneaking around hiding. I’d say Nij was 80% to blame because the OT should always block the free runner before doubling a DT.

It’s just another example of a beautiful drive that was blown up by the inexperience at Tackle. I know Watson will get all the blame, but if we can’t score from 1 yard with a RB who’s a bulldozer then we’ve got much much bigger issues than #9 going on a go Route
I was unhappy we didn't take the sure points there instead of trying to score a TD on the goal line. IMO you take your points, especially on the road.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander was fine when he covered Jefferson but he should have been on their WR every snap but wasn't.
Barry's plan of attack from a coverage perspective sucked, but it was hurt more by some severe feast or famine in the pressure applied by the front too.