Official Pack vs Viks studs n duds

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say no judgement on players because it was the gameplan and coaches...yet then claim a first round WR would magically have made the difference? I'm confused.

I happen to think the offensive gameplan might have been different (or actually worked) if the team had a proven, high-end receiver. Does that clarify my prior statement?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happen to think the offensive gameplan might have been different (or actually worked) if the team had a proven, high-end receiver.

No way of knowing. We had the best in the game last year and lost by more than 30 week 1. Nothing is a lock it seems for us and week 1 games...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way of knowing. We had the best in the game last year and lost by more than 30 week 1. Nothing is a lock it seems for us and week 1 games...

I agree, but that doesn't mean I can't look back at personnel decisions and wonder "what if"?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First....it amazes me how many folks come back for the season just to spread misinformation or not even know staff/roster make up...do that stuff year round like the rest of us LOL

Anyways, haven't rewatched the game slower and more direct but my initial Studs and Duds:

DUDS:
Offensive Line
....I'm sorry but zero reason not to have Tom in with the starters, I will have to watch the film back directly for OL play but when he had to come in, I thought he may have been the best OL in there most snaps. Hanson struggled at time but also I'll admit did better than I expected he would. Overall this OL play isn't going to cut it at all and must do better.
Watson...Honestly, many of MVS's drops were even that bad. Rodgers missed putting it right into his bread basket by like two inches, couldn't have expected a better ball. While there was no momentum or wind in our sails at that moment, that play I swear cut a hole into our sails for the day.
MLF...I still think he is one of the best in the game, but I felt he was either just out schemed or simply off his anticipatory play calling. Was shocked to not see the jet sweep motion more to hopefully get the defense shifting and sliding.
Defense as a whole...but pressure lacked. Didn't get enough pressure to stop the ability of Jefferson to find space in coverage....even just a little pressure changes that game possibly.

STUDS:
AJ Dillon
...15 touches, 91 yards (6+ yards a touch) and a TD. Dillon again looks FLUID as a receiver and is something I love seeing screens and short flat tosses too....he makes a guy miss or bullies one defender it is a guarantee 5 or more yards.
Aaron Jones...8 touches, 76 yards (9+ yards per touch). The backfield putting up 160+ yards is something we will see weekly I imagine and honestly will be closer to 200 most games I suspect.
Preston...there were few guys that seemed to get pressure as much as Smith on Sunday. I look forward to testing this against what actually happened when I watch it back.

Honorable Mention:
Kingsley Enagbare...I often found myself seeing his number around plays, in the right position. He did look like a rookie at times but I was very pleasantly surprised at how natural and fluid he seemed.

tynimiller I'm gonna disagree slightly with one part of this post. The O-Line due to injuries was playing with one guy out of position and another guy who should probably not have made the roster. Most of the issues were coming through the middle of the O-Line where Hanson was playing...the guy who shouldn't be on the team. What concerned me was that Myers got beat, and on the hit that almost took out Rodgers it seemed like everyone but Newman got beat. I've seen the O-Line *Think post Wahle, Flannigan and Rivera* be much worse for much longer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tynimiller I'm gonna disagree slightly with one part of this post. The O-Line due to injuries was playing with one guy out of position and another guy who should probably not have made the roster. Most of the issues were coming through the middle of the O-Line where Hanson was playing...the guy who shouldn't be on the team. What concerned me was that Myers got beat, and on the hit that almost took out Rodgers it seemed like everyone but Newman got beat. I've seen the O-Line *Think post Wahle, Flannigan and Rivera* be much worse for much longer.

I'm fine with the disagreement, however the OL played bad, no other way to put it. As I said Tom should be a starter, I don't care if that means you sit Hanson, Newman or Runyan. Tom IMO is one of our best 5 even with Jenkins and Bakh in there.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with the disagreement, however the OL played bad, no other way to put it. As I said Tom should be a starter, I don't care if that means you sit Hanson, Newman or Runyan. Tom IMO is one of our best 5 even with Jenkins and Bakh in there.
I would hope we would be sitting Hanson no matter what going forward, and yeah Newman should probably be a back up. And I do agree Tom WILL be one of the top 5, I'm holding judgment on IS for a few more weeks...week 1 rookie year is a bit early for me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope we would be sitting Hanson no matter what going forward, and yeah Newman should probably be a back up. And I do agree Tom WILL be one of the top 5, I'm holding judgment on IS for a few more weeks...week 1 rookie year is a bit early for me.

Hanson is the most improved guy from last year to this year, but I agree he isn't a starting 5

Reaction score
It might happen more than once that one of the running backs will end up being the leading receiver in a game this season.
That's ok occasionally, as long as we are spreading the ball around and utilizing the strength on any given week. We target the RB like 23 times? As I said before the game, when you are missing your primary WR and you've got limited options, get your veterans involved more. Our RB duo was averaging 6.3 yards per carry, but only combined for 15 runs?? Not a good O outcome speaks to not a good O gameplan..
Aaron Jones looked good too.
Yes he did. Yet he was still largely underutilized. 5 Runs in 4 quarters? What happened there

Reaction score
I'm just amazed than Cobb and Watkins combined for just 5 catches. Then back that up with one of the best RB duos in the league combining for 15 carries, yet they were averaging 6.3 per?? The RB receiving area was in line, but still slightly light. I'm not sure what our play-caller was thinking here. We abandoned the running game and that was a large segment of the failure

Dud: OC

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some post game thoughts:

1. There were some real sliding doors moments early in this game. The Watson drop and the 4th down failure— if those go the other way, it’s a different contest.

2. Barry got taken to the cleaners in the first half. Match coverage is tested by motion, crossers, and overloads. Unprepared units can’t handle it and it leads to wide open receivers. The Packers were an unprepared unit. Jefferson is great and all, but they made it really easy for him.

3. This offense could take a few weeks to find its way.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs. Gee I don't know. I'm sure there was one or two guys that had good games. Dillon and Jones. Run defense was ok.

Duds. MATT LEFLUER!!! I'm losing my patience with this guy. Has them completely unprepared to play Week 1 for the second year in a row and has the audacity to question the effort and execution of his players in the first half. Play your starters some in the preseason!!!

Savage: Remember when we all thought he was good?

Defensive game plan: Maybe it would've been smart to put Alexander on Jefferson from the start and not wait until the second half.

Offensive line: This unit is going to get steamrolled until Bakh and Jenkins come back, and I have doubts Bakh will come back at all.
I am beginning to agree with You about the Coach. Matt NEVER has them ready to play that first game of the Season. Also after a bye week. They come out looking like flat tires! Maybe the starters need to play during the preseason at least a little. Heck they always end up with injuries just from practices! I think Bakh has also had enough time to heal up. What is the point in keeping someone who is only capable of bench warming???! Think He is done too!

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just copy and paste my comment from last years *** kicking from the Saints. Idk but this feels like a season where we got 10-7 and miss the playoffs. Yes it’s only week 1 but we do not have any dynamic players on offense outside of Rodgers and the o line is a mess. Throw in the fact Rodgers didn’t like rookie wrs and yea. 10-7
Come off the ledge

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am beginning to agree with You about the Coach. Matt NEVER has them ready to play that first game of the Season. Also after a bye week. They come out looking like flat tires! Maybe the starters need to play during the preseason at least a little. Heck they always end up with injuries just from practices! I think Bakh has also had enough time to heal up. What is the point in keeping someone who is only capable of bench warming???! Think He is done too!

MLF has only seen three years coaching post a bye week...with two of those three being losses, once to the eventual SB winner and the other the SB loser (neither slouch teams and both away games).

2021 - Win Home vs Bears (6-11 Team)
2020 - Loss @ Buccs (11-5 Team - eventual SB winners)
2019 - Loss @ 49ers ( 13-3 Team - Lost SB to Chiefs)

As for Week 1s, MLF is now 1-3 with all four being away games (Chicago, Minnesota, New Orleans, Minnesota).

Cutting Bakh gains nothing and potentially loses a guy that even if he only returns to 85% of what he once was is one of your best 5 OL.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's frustrating because we desperately need him. I guess it's hard to walk away from a former All-Pro until we have exhausted all options with him. I think we will know for sure in the next several weeks though, we tend to be ultra conservative in injuries

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio over lunch that Receivers Jaire was covering were targeted 3 times for zero catches. Not sure he was whipped all over the field yesterday.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Mopey Rodgers. Fire up the team man. Playcalling. If the WR's were covered deep, someone needs to get open just behind the line. You watch Brady play and there's almost always somebody just passed the line of scrimmage to catch a check down to bail him out. Rodgers is going to need to get comfortable throwing over the middle for short passes. Maybe that's Tonyan or Doubs? We may not have WR's this year who can get open deep, but Rodgers needs to elevate the team to his standards.

I won't blame the O-line that played, it would be nice to get some better timelines on Bak and Jenkins.

Defense not letting Jaire shadow JJ, which I'd expect the next meeting in Lambeau. That said, they held the Vikes to 23, Pack should have been able to score more than 23 on that defense.

Lafleur for another opening day let down. Not sure if letting them play in the preseason would have been enough, but this team didn't really play with urgency. They looked like someone just told them their dog was hit on the road half the game.

Studs: AJ Dillon. Walker leading the team in tackles before his injury. Looked fast. That's about it. Doubs and Tonyan had decent games. The offense needs some identity and something to build on. Hopefully that's Lazard coming back healthy and more looks to Doubs and Tonyan.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hansen should not be starting. Tom should have played more.

Reaction score
I think our ideal OL lineup right now would be Bak-Runyon-Meyers-Tom-Jenkins
OR Jenkins-Runyon-Meyers-Tom-Nij
I see Newmann as nothing more than a good backup option at either RG/RT and Hanson might be better suited sticking to backup Center

This current group looked bottom 12 imo, maybe middle of the field on a good day

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our ideal lineup right now would be Bak-Runyon-Meyers-Tom-Jenkins
I see Newmann as nothing more than a good backup option at either RG/RT and Hanson might be better suited sticking to backup Center
I think ideally you might be able to flip flop Runyon and Jenkins...MAYBE I think we're better with this starting 5 than having Newman and Hanson in the game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our ideal OL lineup right now would be Bak-Runyon-Meyers-Tom-Jenkins

This current group looked bottom 12 imo, maybe middle of the field on a good day

Newman has showed me more at RT than at RG personally. He actually did a fairly good job on Sunday honestly. He allowed 3 pressures total and one turned into a sack. Not great, not terrible and for sure wasn't the cleanest.

Members online

Latest posts