OFFICIAL Mike McCarthy Took Back Play callin

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Probably just a joke but I'll bite.

I was kind of being "half serious" on the inflation thing. Only brought it up because the fans, media, etc have brought everything but THAT up. The half serious part is this, Rodgers came out and said, he always likes his balls well inflated. Lets just say that he has been playing with them at 15 psi and getting away with it. Now the required range of 12.5 to 13.5 PSI is being more strictly enforced. Would this make a difference to both him and his receivers (who were used to catching the 15 psi balls). The un-half serious part is that most people say/claim that the inflation doesn't matter. I'm skeptical on that, but will take their word.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were still some communication issues and separation issues going on out there, but when Devante Adams catches more balls like he should, and Rodgers shows some willingness to trust his accuracy to fit it in there, that helps the O quite a bit. It was obvious MM was probably going to intervene a little in getting Clements to get this team on track, but yeah, give Clements a little credit for calling a bit of a better game. Was also good to get Janis a bit more involved too. Plus I like the job he does returning kicks better than that careless Micah Hyde guy.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Clement isn't going anywhere guys and McCarthy won't take play calling duties back - it's not in his character ... McCarthy may and probably will be focusing his "wandering" around in the Offense meetings more and more ... but, as I said Clement isn't going anywhere. He, like Winston Moss, was given the title "Associate Head Coach" to keep other teams from sniffing around on their legs when Offensive and Defensive Coordinator positions open. The Pack can deny permission to talk to these guys if the team asking permission is looking for ANYTHING beyond Head Coach given those titles.

What does Edgar do? Good question. I think (and I'm purely speculating) he is involved heavily in the scouting, film study, scheming and offensive game plan with Clement -- not unlike the role Philbin played for McCarthy until his departure. I think -- though I'm not sure -- that Edgar is on the sideline with McCarthy while Capers is in the coaches box for a birds-eye view of what is happening. QB coach Van Pelt is in the coaches box too ... which I find curious. From a Silverstein article in JSONLINE on November 19: "McCarthy's decision this week to focus on offense does not come with a change in play-calling duties. Assistant head coach Tom Clements will continue to call the plays and offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett is still heavily involved in planning and directing practice."

I don't believe an O.C. coordinator position carries a definitive job description as it used to. Now, I qualify this because Dom Capers is the Defensive Coordinator, however Winston Moss is Associate Head Coach/Linebackers - I can't imagine where the largely ignored and hardly even mentioned Winston Moss would have over-ride authority over Dom Capers.

Still, based on the above, it is pretty evident that there is a point-of-no-return on the play calling issue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Plus I like the job he does returning kicks better than that careless Micah Hyde guy.

Janis is for sure more explosive but Hyde hasn´t been careless with the football as he hasn´t fumbled on 33 kickoff returns in his career so far.

QB coach Van Pelt is in the coaches box too ... which I find curious.

Van Pelt was in the coaches box for the first seven games this season but the Packers moved him back to the sideline after the Broncos game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hyde' strength is in punt return over kick no doubt. He has that smooth slide and go ability in traffic that goes well with fielding and returning punts. He's not careless, at least not to me. I think KR is a different beast and relies more on speed and hitting a crease and running thru it before you can be tackled. I wouldn't say Janis excels at that. Even on his long return, he stuttered and was able to find an opening and go, but I think he was fortunate to have a lot of room on that too or he would have been brought down almost before it started. I think the best KR's see the lanes forming before they do and then seemlessly and without breaking stride, break and hit them. I haven't seen that ability from Janis yet. he has the speed and if a big opening is there, well not many will catch him. But often times the openings aren't that big and they close quickly.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this board's going to go crazy this week full of psychos raving about blowing the team up and making all kinds of extreme moves, I'm not going to go for that and I don't for one minute even after this loss think that this team is unsalvageable, I really think we will get the monster under control. There'll be plenty other threads going on around here going off on Capers so please keep that talk out of this thread. But I do think Tom Clements and Edgar Bennet are really struggling with this play calling stuff and really are struggling to get these guys going in the right direction. There's been some things, some of them little but some more major that have really stood out to me this year that to me have been bad signs of this :

1. Play clock always ticking down super far before Rodgers snaps it -- I swear in every game every year I've seen before this, I don't ever remember Rodgers having to try and hurry up to get that snap off or have to unnecessarily burn timeouts like he's had to do at exorbitant rates this year. There is clearly a dysfunction in the huddle with players understanding their assignments and what the play is, and I don't recall this ever being a problem when Mike McCarthy ran things.

2. I saw wide receivers today look like they were having some confusion about routes too. And these are vets we're talking about, or at least people who've been here long enough that they should know where they're going on a play, and what's going on.

3. Protection assignment issues -- no doubt Bahktiari and Lindsley struggled today and have to get better or be replaced, but really seems like there's some confusion there too over who should pick up who. I have not seen that go on at that rate since Mike McCarthy was running things here, and this year this whole thing just seems way off.

I really think those of you who kept complaining about Mike McCarthy's play calling last year owe him a big time apology. You clamored for him to lose the play calling, he did that, and now we're paying for it.

MM, please if you can here us, please intervene and take back the offensive management.
McCarthy not calling the plays has nothing to do with the way we have played on OFF !

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is for sure more explosive but Hyde hasn´t been careless with the football as he hasn´t fumbled on 33 kickoff returns in his career so far.QUOTE]

Yeah but that's not going to hold up forever if he keeps running into brick walls, or on punts if he keeps trying to return with a man bearing down on him.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy not calling the plays has nothing to do with the way we have played on OFF !

Disagree .... Partially

Rodgers, in and of himself is having issues that seem to be outside of play calling, WRs, O-line, tonight and even in last week's win and throughout this season, his accuracy has been off way more than usual. He certainly has had something up either by injury or just a mental block that's not working. He's more frustrated than usual during games, it's starting to affect his demeanor, and he's always been one of the most calm and cool-headed QBs ever, up until this year. There's certainly something individually up with Rodgers because in and of himself he's not looking like the Rodgers we all know.

At the same time though, the fact that the WRs have just seemed to get worse n worse as the season goes on and dropping 2 games at home to 2 bad divisional opponents ... good god I don't even know what to say. I can say at some point we could probably fix this thing without MM having to go back to play calling, but I really think we need Philbin to come back on staff, really seemed like his influence here was highly underrated. Maybe he doesn't wish to get back into football the rest of this year and I could understand that, but as he probably wouldn't be on any hotlists for head coaching jobs next year, really think we as a team need to reach out to him this offseason.

As to players on this team, Richard Rodgers, I'm sorry but you're done, you're not cutting it and you and James Starks both should not be back next season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree .... Partially

Rodgers, in and of himself is having issues that seem to be outside of play calling, WRs, O-line, tonight and even in last week's win and throughout this season, his accuracy has been off way more than usual. He certainly has had something up either by injury or just a mental block that's not working. He's more frustrated than usual during games, it's starting to affect his demeanor, and he's always been one of the most calm and cool-headed QBs ever, up until this year. There's certainly something individually up with Rodgers because in and of himself he's not looking like the Rodgers we all know.

At the same time though, the fact that the WRs have just seemed to get worse n worse as the season goes on and dropping 2 games at home to 2 bad divisional opponents ... good god I don't even know what to say. I can say at some point we could probably fix this thing without MM having to go back to play calling, but I really think we need Philbin to come back on staff, really seemed like his influence here was highly underrated. Maybe he doesn't wish to get back into football the rest of this year and I could understand that, but as he probably wouldn't be on any hotlists for head coaching jobs next year, really think we as a team need to reach out to him this offseason.

As to players on this team, Richard Rodgers, I'm sorry but you're done, you're not cutting it and you and James Starks both should not be back next season.

In your last sentence, do you mean James Jones?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, seems Mike McCarthy is saying changes are going to be coming, likely right now right after the game he hasn't revealed those, but I have to think he may be about to grab the play book away from Clements or at least get more involved in changing things up on that side of the ball between him and Bennet or something.

PackerinATL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first post here and I'll say this: I've never seen an offense like the Packers be taken from where they've been to where they are now so fast. It would be like taking a Lamborghini and turning it into a Honda Accord. Just mind boggling.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, seems Mike McCarthy is saying changes are going to be coming, likely right now right after the game he hasn't revealed those, but I have to think he may be about to grab the play book away from Clements or at least get more involved in changing things up on that side of the ball between him and Bennet or something.

He did that before viking game

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy needs to take over pass catching from Adams. He might not run as fast, but I'll bet he could catch the dang ball in his belly.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Croak...Adams seems to have a case of dropsie and throwing to him continually hasn't solved it. Cobb also has spurts of the same affliction. Maybe TT needed to set out and trade for a number one WR.

BlueRidgePackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inability to consistently catch 'catcheable' balls is the number one frustration when watching them play this year. Sure, there are other problems (such as not wrapping up tackles), but with all the rules we have in the NFL now it is an issue of our offense not being able to catch or hold on the the ball. *sigh* :( frustrating

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more using almost the full 40 seconds on the playclock. Mike McCarthy needs to force Clements to run a no-huddle on every single drive and allow him only 5 seconds at most to call the next play. This needs to happen on every drive because the stupid rhetoric that you have to prolong drives to give your D a rest is faulty garbage. There's only one kind of good offense and that's a quick strike offense.

Run the no-huddle on every single play, us fans demand it, we need to use it as it will completely gas our opponents' defensive lines and render them ineffective all game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, just like the Eagles. Run the opposing defense right off the field ;)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling and play callers only go so far, and with the lack of inside info about such things, it's up for endless debate as to how far.
It also won't turn things around nearly enough to fix the problems with this team.

Packerlover29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that I haven noticed in the past few games is the skittish play calls by Tom Clements. Remember last year when we would watch those quick slants where Rodgers would release the ball in under a second? What happened to that. Mike needs to call the plays so that Tom Clements stops with these skittish short screen plays that seem to work. But not over and over again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As a fan the most frustrating part of the offense this year is inconsistency and productivity and it centers around the passing game. Sure we have had off running days, but for the most part we can no longer move the ball consistently or effectively through the air, despite having one of the best QB's in the game. Us fans can speculate all sorts of things; something is wrong with Rodgers, our receivers are over rated, our schemes suck. But the bottom line is its up to the coaching staff to be able to recognize, adjust and make the necessary changes. To me it feels like they have been sitting on their collective hands saying "don't panic, this is just a blip, no changes needed, it will work itself out, we just need to be consistent and execute". If this wasn't basically the same offense (less Jordy) as last years high powered offense, I would agree, but it is that same offense (personnel wise). I'm convinced, especially after last night, that something has to change on the coaching end to fix things. Whether its play calling, personnel packages, schemes, etc. The players themselves just seem to be getting more and more frustrated (effecting their play) as this continues and IMO as long as there are no changes, it isn't fixing itself over night.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point it's the players and their skill sets. Guys like Cobb and Adams have had to do things and take on roles they're not well suited for. All the adjustments in the world will not make them excel at things they're not suited for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At some point it's the players and their skill sets. Guys like Cobb and Adams have had to do things and take on roles they're not well suited for. All the adjustments in the world will not make them excel at things they're not suited for.

Both Cobb and Adams are playing basically the same roles as last year, slot and wide out. More pressure on them to perform without Jordy and defenses keying on Jordy, maybe. But even with Jordy out there, it wasn't like teams were stacking 2-4 guys on him on every play and letting Cobb and Adams wander free.

Coaching can make an average player/team just that much better as it can do the reverse. If you are familiar with the Badger Basketball Program, Bo Ryan is a classic example of this at work. He takes guys who weren't even recruited by any top 25 program and turns them and the team as a whole into winners.