Official Gameday Thread: Packers vs Seahawks

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone else think Lacy was trying to be too fancy on some of his runs? The guy is meant to be a bruiser and he did lay the boom on some of his runs. But some other times, it seemed like he was waiting for a hole to form....Maybe it's not a Lacy thing but more that the O-line wasn't making the holes for him to hit?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A whole bunch of knee-jerkers are forgetting the Super Bowl. Do you think Denver is a bad team? We played them far better than Denver did in the SB and it was at their place. We're going to be fine. And we'll improve steadily as the season goes on. Mark my words. Nobody else would have done any better tonight.

That said, how is it that Matthews gets wrestled to the ground and bear-hugged to keep him from getting back up, yet we get called on the tackiest of holds on defense on the same play?

Oh, and Collinsworth is the worst nut-******* in sports.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way wah wah, we got injured, we got held,....... News flash.....we got our *** kicked. Long ways to go and a lot of things to get better at. Or...... Go home. We need to get good enough and tough enough to BEAT this team, nobody is going to give it to them

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone else think Lacy was trying to be too fancy on some of his runs? The guy is meant to be a bruiser and he did lay the boom on some of his runs. But some other times, it seemed like he was waiting for a hole to form....Maybe it's not a Lacy thing but more that the O-line wasn't making the holes for him to hit?
I didnt see any holes.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers are flat out not good enough to beat elite teams in the NFL. The offence was bad, the run defence was worse. the only bright spot I saw was the pass rush, it did well but it wasn't enough.

What happened to this super fast offence we were supposed to see from green bay?

I think they packers have enough talent to make the playoffs but they just aren't able to beat physical teams. The tackling is atrocious, I know its the first game of the season but I am still seeing the same stuff that was a problem the last 2 years. How long do we keep doing the same things expecting a different result? I have said it before but Dom capers should have been fired 2 years ago. (I am not saying this game is his fault, he did call a pretty good game IMO.) but if the team isn't seeing any improvement something has to change.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got Seattle winning 27-16. Our drives lead to 3 FGs earlyish insted of TDs, which come back to haunt us.
As always I hope I am wrong.
Well, I got our anemic crappy score of 16 right. I just didn't think they'd get 36. Of course, 2 were the gift safety from Sherrod, and another 7 was a gift interception donation from Rodgers down deep in our own end.

Remember when Janis did well in camp and preseasons, but Rodgers had to call him out for running some stuff the wrong way? Not being on the same page as Rodgers was?

Well WTF is Rodgers excuse with Jordy then tonight?

Should have had a TD on that early drive where he rolled left from about the 6 yard line.

Then the simple slant in on the left side, led Jordy too far off his fingertips for the Int.

There was another one earlier I can't recall.
Oh yeah, that 3rd & 4 where Rodgers had broken the pocket and had almost run for 2 yards, and could have had the first down but rightly so, perhaps, didn't want to take a big hit. So he fired it at the last second to Jordy left sideline wide open, and fired it 6 yards over his head.

He played scared it looked like. Nightmares from the 8-sack first half game there 2 years ago perhaps.

Of course, after yet another OT injury to us, then the floodgates opened past Sherrod.

Brad Jones is atrocious and I thought his coverage ability was his one forte.

He should have had the gift interception but the TE outstrengthed him knocking it out.

Then he stopped a punt on a play Peppers and Matthews sandwich sacked Wilson in the first half with a lazy illegal contact.

And he extended another drive on a 3rd & long illegal contact late when the Packers had cut it to 13 and had a bit of offensive momentum. Had they forced that 3 & out there and gotten the good field position, the game might have tightened.

Sam Barrington should be starting vs the Jets.
This team needs more strength in the middle.

Also, expect Bulaga to be out for the year as happened to Sam Bradford. Some players, and teams, are just ****ingCursed. He is, and we are.

Is Chad Clifton still walking?
Or Mark Tauscher?
Breno Giaconimi?
Jamon Meredith?

And WTF with Lacy and the concussion? He was wearing the newest and best anti-concussion helmet.
I already hated Kam Chancellor before this game.

Oh well, better a concussion than a hit like took out Adrian Peterson's ACL.

I was surprised that Mike Pennel wasn't active for this game as Seattle obviously is a strong running team.

We won't have a harder game than this all season long.
And the rookie center passed his test.

Balls

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bad... we got dominated. The good... it counts as one lose. The bad... Paying like we did tonight will not result in a successful season. The good... we know we are better than what we saw tonight. The bad... the staff learned we are not as good as hoped. The good... the staff learned early in the season and hoping they "do something" vs the lack of doing anything last year after the SF game.

We need a major change. Play physical players for ILB that are currently on the roster and sit Jones and Hawk. Consider firing Capers to make statement and have enough time to right the ship by payoff time. The offense will take us to the play-offs so we got about 16 weeks to give a new D-coordinator to figure it out.

Also think we miss Finley and Jones a lot on O. Just not much to throw to outside Jordy and Cobb. I don't recall seeing other WR even being targeted.

Final comment... Wonder if Rodgers would trade about 8 million per year for two more impact players. More victories would offer more value to Rodgers. It's odd to me why these highly paid players get made at their teammates when not only do they (Rodgers) make several errors themselves but limit our staff from complimenting their abilities with more skilled teammates.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers are flat out not good enough to beat elite teams in the NFL. The offence was bad, the run defence was worse. the only bright spot I saw was the pass rush, it did well but it wasn't enough.

What happened to this super fast offence we were supposed to see from green bay?

I think they packers have enough talent to make the playoffs but they just aren't able to beat physical teams. The tackling is atrocious, I know its the first game of the season but I am still seeing the same stuff that was a problem the last 2 years. How long do we keep doing the same things expecting a different result? I have said it before but Dom capers should have been fired 2 years ago. (I am not saying this game is his fault, he did call a pretty good game IMO.) but if the team isn't seeing any improvement something has to change.

I would't mind seeing Capers go, but there are too many fundamental flaws on defense which are not his fault, such as tackling. Too many people are just grabbing rather than doing fundamental textbook tackling.

Balls

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Capers the coach? If you have one person missing tackles that points to a player issue. When you have an entire team that doesn't point to the players but the process in which they are involved in learning and executing tackling. It's a coaching issue.

These are my first posts here after reading this forum for several years. Just frustrated after seeing repeat failures and a change is needed now, not after the season. I know that doesn't bode well for this season but the odds of Capers finding success this year is so small that we might as well hurry the process.

Thanks everyone for you comments. Nice to read other perspectives and opinions.

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither the O-Line or the D-line covered themselves in glory. I know we played probably the strongest side in the NFL, but we still made it easy. The play in the last quarter where the d-line opened up and left a gaping hole you could drive a cruiser through was a little pathetic.

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Capers the coach? If you have one person missing tackles that points to a player issue. When you have an entire team that doesn't point to the players but the process in which they are involved in learning and executing tackling. It's a coaching issue.

These are my first posts here after reading this forum for several years. Just frustrated after seeing repeat failures and a change is needed now, not after the season. I know that doesn't bode well for this season but the odds of Capers finding success this year is so small that we might as well hurry the process.

Thanks everyone for you comments. Nice to read other perspectives and opinions.

What about position coaches? I think poor tackling should probably rest on their shoulders. Capers draws up the schemes, he doesn't teach the players how to tackle. I think some of the position coaches maybe need to be reevaluated. Saying that, I don't think firing Capers after the first game, which was against an elite team, is the way to go.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well that was worth staying up til near 5am, jeezo am I tired today!!

all in all we have a lot of positives to take from the game I think, it's too early to get worried about nthe post-season, but

we kept running the ball too much once lacy got shutdown after his first couple of carries
sherrod is S H I T E(sorry)
stupid penalties at points that were giving us a bit of extra momentum
and a couple of breaks for turnovers that didn't go our way
DEF didn't step up the way we hoped, but some of that was doen to good plays from the hawks I think

thought peppers and matthews looked quite good playing together, and were unlucky not to get that sack
rodgers passing, while not top of his game, wasn't all too bad apart from one throw really
thouigh Linsley (sp) had quite a good game apart from the snap when rodgers was calling for a TO, looked to tackle pretty well and provide as much protection as he could

all in all, a bit(big bit, when there's only two packers games scheduled for tv in UK so far) disapointing, but lets not hit the panic button yet

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ok, so the team had a rough first game against the reigning Super Bowl Champions. The Seahawks showed why they are the Champs. If the Packers plan on making a deep run in the playoffs, they will have to work hard to improve. But I'm not willing to mash the panic button yet based on the first game of the season against the Champs. Those guys looked crazy good last night. I haven't seen a team that dominant in a while. They looked that way in the Super Bowl too. It will be interesting to see how many teams can actually match up with them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, this game proved to me that the Packers aren´t good enough to make it to the Super Bowl this season, we´ll find out pretty fast if we´re good enough to win the division and make it to the playoffs.

I was surprised by the way Linsley performed, the only other bright spot on offense being Josh Sitton. If Bulaga is out for a longer period of time we´ll be in huge troubles as Sherrod can´t play. In addition Bakhtiari had a terrible game as well and our starting TE can´t block for the run. Rodgers was off target more often than I´ve seen him in a long time, and I have a hard time understanding the concept behind not targeting Sherman even once during the entire game, making it easier for the best FS in the game because he didn´t have to worry about covering that side of the field. Lacy suffering his second concussion that early in his career is concerning to me.

Kevin Gildbride said on NBCSN´s Pro Football Talk that he thinks the Packers will be disappointed by moving to smaller, more athletic guys on the DL and after watching them play the run vs. the Seahawks I have to agree with him (that was already my worst fear before the season). Mike Daniels is a stud, but other than him we´re lacking talent on the line. Just like not addressing the safety position in 2013, ignoring the ILB position during the draft and free agency will come back and haunt Thompson. IMO Hawk and Jones will be even more exposed by having a lighter DL. The secondary should be fine in coverage but the guys have to stop missing tackles.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What really upset me last night, was watching our defensive ends collapsing too far inside. Play after play, I especially saw Clay Matthews crashing inside and then getting finished off by tight ends. Against a team that features a hard-cutting Lynch and speed plays to the perimeter with Harvin, our ends need to stay home.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
What really upset me last night, was watching our defensive ends collapsing too far inside. Play after play, I especially saw Clay Matthews crashing inside and then getting finished off by tight ends. Against a team that features a hard-cutting Lynch and speed plays to the perimeter with Harvin, our ends need to stay home.

Hell yes. I saw clay over pursue and lose containment on several key plays. I think he was overly hungry. Peppers showed some veteran savvy. Peppers looks better than clay right now.