Official Game Day Thread: Browns @ Packers 8/14: LOSE 27 - 24

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy said the target as of now is for the starters to play about 20 snaps against the Cleveland Browns on Saturday night.

He said he'll flip a coin on which punter holds. "I just want one holder per game. Now, whether we go every other punt or every two punts, we’ll determine that in the next day or so. I want to make it as 50-50 as I possibly can."

WR Donald Driver (calf) missed his fifth-straight practice and will see the doctor on Friday. He is unlikely to play.

CB Charles Woodson will play.

McCarthy said he does not expect S Will Blackmon (knee), LB Alex Joseph (quad), OLB Clay Matthews (hamstring), LB Nick Barnett (knee) and G/C Jason Spitz (calf) to play against the Browns.

Blackmon hasn't practiced in a week, but McCarthy isn't concerned. "The doctors have been telling me the same thing that I have been repeating right here every day. They think his knee, it’s not ready for training camp-type schedule. We try to keep him on one-a-days. I know he wants to go. I know Will is frustrated. He wants to get out here and go, but Dr. McKenzie thinks he is going to be fine once he gets through this period."
Blackmon said "Mike's giving me the time off, so I need to take it. I had a serious injury, probably more serious than I let on. But this is normal soreness. I expect to be fine after this period is over."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Wayne Larrivee's blog

I try not to get to excited about the scoring results of pre season games especially the first week or two of games. The first string offense and defense will be on the field for just a few series, 20 plays or so. Think about how many games in the regular season an offense will take the field and go three and out for a couple of possessions then get on track, catch a rhythm and put 28 points on the board. So first and foremost don't overreact to what Aaron Rodgers and the starters do in these first couple of pre season games.

Remember, many veteran starters will be held out of this game with nagging injuries or recovery from off season surgery. Many of these veterans would be playing if this were a regular season game.

What these first two pre season games are about is the back end of the roster. The rookies, free agents, players trying to make the squad. I would keep an eye on #37 Will Shields the rookie cornerback out of Miami who has really flashed this week in practice. On the defensive line this is "show time" for former first round draft pick Justin Harrell at defensie end. Mike Neal a rookie defensive end has shown great strength but will that translate into getting to the QB? Rookie safety Morgan Burnett starts and will play longer than most starters on defense. Linebacker is where the Packers have had a rash of injuries so I'm not sure what we will see there.

Offensively running back Quinn Porter will get a good look in this first game-he has flashed in this camp. This is where we get a look at people on the offensive line like Brian Bulaga, at both tackle and guard. Breno Giacomini at tackle is getting his opportunity and the coaches feel he is ready.

Special teams: this is it for the punters Chris Bryan and Tim Masthay. The pre season games will tell all about this crucial position for the Packers. The coaches feel both are NFL caliber punters. They believe whoever wins the job will be an upgrade over Jeremy Kapinos who struggled last year. What Mike McCarthy is looking for is better production inside the twenty in the punt game and this is where we start to find out who will provide that upgrade.

Finally, you just hope you don't lose crucial core players to injury in these pre season games-that is a major objective for everyone around the NFL at this stage of the process.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made this the official game day thread! I am just happy that it is here finally! Tomorrow is going to be AWESOME!

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh preseason is a blessing and a curse.. Nothing makes me happier than seeing the green n gold in HD but possible injuries scare me to death. All it takes is one ******* browns moron tripping and falling on one of our guys and it's "oh ****". (knocking my head on wood atm)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I want Sam Shields to return every punt for a touchdown.

And I want Morgan Burnett to pick off every pass the Browns throw.

That's reasonable, right?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gameday links

--------------------------------------------------
For those requesting, I'll be posting here working links for the game. (The links will only work by approx. 5 min before kickoff (7pm CDT))

I'll also warn if there's a need for a software to be downloaded, and provide the download link

Brewcrew ST*:
st://A0MCgpwEdTsDOwaCoAHIgBY6QYcaOnqMIBeoF2UblrU/ihcIQnJld2NyZXeKYQCKQQdkZWZhdWx0iqIHR2VuZXJhbA==

(needs StreamTorrent software. Link: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

First Row stream:
http://www.firstrow.net/watch/23863/1/watch-cleveland-browns-vs-green-bay-packers.html

BlogTV ARodgersRocks: http://www.blogtv.com/people/ARodgersrocks

http://pt-br.justin.tv/sports4life69#/w/317198976 It's a Browns stream

For those who are not lazy/don't care to wait for I try a proper link/want to know the source, here they are:

Link for software download: MyP2P.eu :: P2P TV Software Overview, free P2P TV
MyP2P.eu: [Streaming] 2010 NFL Pre-Season - Week 1
First Row.net: Watch Live NFL Online, American Football Live Streams

Hope it helps! I'll update this post with links, will not post another.

*for this link, you need to download and install the software. Then, you just copy and paste the link onto your webbrowser's window, and the program will pop up.

Also, will put in black working links.

PackerBacker4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know a site where this is going to be streaming? Not getting the game in Nebraska! Instead we get the
Vikings. GARBAGE

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
RS should be able to hook you up as far as streaming goes.

It's not the live game on NFL Network, is it? That might be Miami's game, if memory serves. Worth looking into, though.

T

The_Ohioan_Cheesehead

Atleast I get it here in ohio because the Pack are playing the Browns. =D. Otherwise i would have to use a stream.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Harlan and Gannon again. I'm a bit disappointed, but I guess you can't argue with having 2 guys who do this for pro games every Sunday. Some of the preseason games I've watched on NFL Network have been brutal, announcer-wise.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
People you won't see tonight (and who's replacing them):
For the Packers, safeties Atari Bigby (ankle) and Will Blackmon (knee), cornerback Al Harris (knee), running back James Starks (hamstring), linebackers Alex Joseph (quad), Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Cyril Obiozor (calf), and guard/center Jason Spitz (calf) will not play in tonight’s preseason opener against Cleveland.

Brady Poppinga will start at left outside linebacker for Matthews, and Brad Jones will start at right outside linebacker instead of Brandon Chillar.

For the Browns, punter Dave Zastudil, defensive backs Eric Wright and Coye Francies, running back Montario Hardesty, linebackers D’Qwell Jackson and David Veikune, offensive linemen Paul Fanaika, Joel Reinders, Floyd Womack, and Tony Pashos, and defensive linemen C.J. Mosley, Shaun Rogers and David Bowens will not play.

Eric Barton will start at one inside linebacker spot for Jackson, Joe Haden will start at cornerback for Wright, and Shawn Lauvao will start at right guard for Womack.
Haredesty makes me sad. Him and Haden are like the only Browns that interest me. Maybe McCoy too, I suppose.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Anybody ready for some football?

BECAUSE WE'RE GETTING GEARED UP FOR KICKOFF!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the 2010 season folks. Here's to a special year (hopefully). :drinks:

Members online

Latest posts