Official 2022 week 1 pregame thread vs Vikings

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson going deep. I think he will be our deep guy. More than Doubs. Nice to have two that can get there though.
Yeah, those guys can be game changers with Rodgers throwing them the ball. Doubs seemed to be good at getting separation during the preseason. He just needs to focus on the ball.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game 1 is against an NFC North division foe. To be nonchalant & treat this game as preseason #4 is foolhardy & ridiculous.

Division leader makes it into the playoffs, and NFC wins determine wildcard entrants & seeding...to treat this as a disposable game makes no sense at all.

FYI- Lazard was only player to sit out of practice & not participate in some capacity.
Agree. For reasons of playoff seeding, it doesn't make sense to take any NFC game lightly. Who knows why the Saints clobbered the Pack last year. There's no need to repeat the same mistake, especially in Minnesota. There are practical and psychological reasons to want to beat every conference opponent every time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand the reasoning behind not playing starters in meaningless preseason games I definitely want the Packers to do everything in their power to win at Minnesota on Sunday.

There's no reason to treat a game that counts in the standings like a preseason game, especially if there are only 17 in total to begin with.

The Vikings hardly played any of their starters this preseason as well. Rookie offensive lineman Ed Ingram played the most snaps with a total of 64, none other played more than 27 with most of their stars sitting out the entire preseason as well.
Agree. It's foolish and risky to play a regular season game like a PS game. None.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the season is 17 games, I get the feeling the players are not liking that at all. This is a divisional game though and has some meaning. I would be shocked to see Bakh Jenkins or Bobby out there at all. Watkins could be a great addition but has to stay healthy. Cobb is a very reliable possession guy, but he is a shell of his former burner self. Would love to see the D rule the day and make a statement. Z Smith spouted some harshness - I do not have a clue as to the ins and outs of that but if healthy enough last year couldve played. The cash was the issue I think.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A very low scoring game will help the Packers. Considering they struggled to score 10 points vs SF and now they have the same offense minus Adams, disjointed is more likely than anything else. While there are rumors that Tonyan, Jenkins or even Bakhtiari may suit up, they are so rusty and not in football shape, that their contribution, if anything, will be limited. As long as special teams don't hand the game to the Vikings on a platter, my hope is that the defense can cause enough turnovers to keep the Packers in the game.
Rodgers isnt in football shape for all you know

What is football shape? Does a lt need it? A qb?

WR and rb and Def backs I think do need it

D

Deleted member 6794

A very low scoring game will help the Packers. Considering they struggled to score 10 points vs SF and now they have the same offense minus Adams, disjointed is more likely than anything else.

I guess the weather should be better inside the dome in Minnesota this week, helping the Packers offense.

If preseason is any indication = shit.

You have to realize that out of the 10 players who played the most snaps on special teams during the preseason nine didn't end up making the roster. Therefore you shouldn't put too much stock into their performance in meaningless games.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers' first injury report for the game at Minnesota on Sunday. Lazard was the only player not participating in practice at all.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I guess Z wanted to go to Minnehaha to play The Pack twice a year. I think they probably offered him more money. Anyway, we'll see if he can play in both games. I was always worried about him physically (mainly back but it seemed like he took himself out of a lot of games). And that was why I was not for giving him more money and time. He made some great plays though.
MN way overpaid for him. He's an older player that had to have surgery on his back. There are always fan favorite type players, but I didn't even give a thought when he was cut. It's not as though he spent a significant amount of time in Green Bay. It was three seasons. He spent more time in Baltimore. If anything, he should be mad at the Ravens for not stepping up and paying him. The Packers made him a rich man.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Packers' first injury report for the game at Minnesota on Sunday. Lazard was the only player not participating in practice at all.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Honestly, Lazard is actually the one I am worried the least about. I've never considered him a number one guy and always looked on him as depth. I didn't expect the rookie WRs to play a huge role to start the season, but from what I saw of Doubs in meaningless games, he seemed solid. Two veteran guys in Cobb and Walkins mixed with some rookies doesn't seem the end of the world. It's not optimal by any means and the core group of WRs doesn't give me a warm fuzzy to begin with. Out of that list of injuries though, Lazard being the only DNP doesn't seem concerning. GPG!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I guess Z wanted to go to Minnehaha to play The Pack twice a year.
What Z isn't saying is that he WANTED to go back to Baltimore first and they jilted him at the proverbial altar ... so THEN he wanted to go to Minnesota to give the Pack "what for" for not asking him how his back was in the corridors at Lambeau last season. He's not saying that NFL teams were beating a path to his door ... he's saying, without saying it, man, I took what I could get so now I have to wear violet and yellow. I wish him well beginning next week but I wish he'd shut up and play

Z, I roll my eyes at thee. You got a ton of money for playing less than a total of less than 4 quarters last year. Take the money and run, Bubzie

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to realize that out of the 10 players who played the most snaps on special teams during the preseason nine didn't end up making the roster. Therefore you shouldn't put too much stock into their performance in meaningless games.
I recognize that most of those guys aren’t in the team, but I also recognize that a STs unit needs to play together to make it all mesh. I haven’t seen any of these combinations so far this preseason work well at all.

I’m not guessing they’re just going to all step on the field as a new unit and be good. Maybe by week 4 or 5 but as far as I could tell they’re still very much a work in progress.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Viks win by 8
Would not surprise me if the Pack lose in the Glass Menagerie - I saw George Strait there in January (I think) so, henceforth, the Glass Menagerie shall be named George Strait Stadium.

That tidbit being introduced into evidence ... I'm going to qualify your prediction of defeat and I'm sure you wouldn't have made such a heinous statement without first putting new batteries in your crystal ball but here goes. Vikies have an entirely new coaching staff and a new scheme to go with it. Cousins is not a dumb man, so he's probably worked that playbook and has it down-pat. Cook and Jefferson are Pro-Bowl professionals and should make the transition well enough. O-linemen are usually the smartest and best looking fat guys on the field - so, they'll have those blocking schemes committed to memory and will execute said offense like Napoleon's army.

Defensively, the Vikies have dumped their 4-3 scheme in favor of a 3-4 - personally, I see that as six of one and a half dozen of the other, the defenses are usually ahead of the offenses this time of the year even if the preseason saw starters getting up to game speed.

Green Bay on the other hand had a coaching staff get totally out coached to lose a trip to the Super Bowl which I'm sure they'd have won because dreams and what if's and stuff should never be discounted when speculating and talking cr*p. The wild card here is Green Bay's coaching staff is pumped up to prove that they're NOT the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight and prove all of the nay-sayers wrong.

Thus, the Packers will beat the Vikings at George Strait Stadium by one-half of one point which includes the 3 pts that the home team gets just because they didn't have to travel.

Now just in the interest of full disclosure, I want you to know that MY crystal ball doesn't run on batteries anymore. I found a YouTube video that showed me how to soup up my crystal ball to run on a nuclear powered generator. So ... be very afraid. I GOT THIS MAN.

Let us not become nattering nabobs of negativism so early in the campaign.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN way overpaid for him. He's an older player that had to have surgery on his back. There are always fan favorite type players, but I didn't even give a thought when he was cut. It's not as though he spent a significant amount of time in Green Bay. It was three seasons. He spent more time in Baltimore. If anything, he should be mad at the Ravens for not stepping up and paying him. The Packers made him a rich man.
He was here for three seasons and played two seasons and one game. I liked him a lot. Very energetic guy. But the Vikes overpaid for a rusty edge guy with a bum back. No thanks. I don't know why he's pissed though. and he doesn't seem like the revenge type.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would not surprise me if the Pack lose in the Glass Menagerie - I saw George Strait there in January (I think) so, henceforth, the Glass Menagerie shall be named George Strait Stadium.

That tidbit being introduced into evidence ... I'm going to qualify your prediction of defeat and I'm sure you wouldn't have made such a heinous statement without first putting new batteries in your crystal ball but here goes. Vikies have an entirely new coaching staff and a new scheme to go with it. Cousins is not a dumb man, so he's probably worked that playbook and has it down-pat. Cook and Jefferson are Pro-Bowl professionals and should make the transition well enough. O-linemen are usually the smartest and best looking fat guys on the field - so, they'll have those blocking schemes committed to memory and will execute said offense like Napoleon's army.

Defensively, the Vikies have dumped their 4-3 scheme in favor of a 3-4 - personally, I see that as six of one and a half dozen of the other, the defenses are usually ahead of the offenses this time of the year even if the preseason saw starters getting up to game speed.

Green Bay on the other hand had a coaching staff get totally out coached to lose a trip to the Super Bowl which I'm sure they'd have won because dreams and what if's and stuff should never be discounted when speculating and talking cr*p. The wild card here is Green Bay's coaching staff is pumped up to prove that they're NOT the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight and prove all of the nay-sayers wrong.

Thus, the Packers will beat the Vikings at George Strait Stadium by one-half of one point which includes the 3 pts that the home team gets just because they didn't have to travel.

Now just in the interest of full disclosure, I want you to know that MY crystal ball doesn't run on batteries anymore. I found a YouTube video that showed me how to soup up my crystal ball to run on a nuclear powered generator. So ... be very afraid. I GOT THIS MAN.

Let us not become nattering nabobs of negativism so early in the campaign.
I think the Packers pull this out, like 27-24 or 27-21. The Vikings are a new team, and while that might spell trouble down the road, it won't in the first game of the season, at home or not.

Now that's a bold prediction, because the Vikes seem to always win in George Strait Stadium. So here's to the contrary. And I changed my mind as I wrote this - Packers 27, Vikings 17. I like the Packers D. Give the points and take the Packers. Well, if you want to.

Reaction score
With all the hype about losing Adams this off season, I feel Sunday's game at Minnesota will be a lot running
the ball with Dillon and Jones with some short pass plays in between.

And yes, I was at last year's opener in Jacksonville against the Saints, and I'm still scratching my head.
Hopefully the Packers with see this divisional game as a must win.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the hype about losing Adams this off season, I feel Sunday's game at Minnesota will be a lot running
the ball with Dillon and Jones with some short pass plays in between.

And yes, I was at last year's opener in Jacksonville against the Saints, and I'm still scratching my head.
Hopefully the Packers with see this divisional game as a must win.
Agree - and if the players somehow don't see the importance of these divisional games, the coaches should have beaten it into them by now.

I think the game you describe is most likely. A lot of bal control, running, short passes, set uo the RPO, moving the chains, keeping Cousins and Co. on the bench. Wear out their D and punish them in Q4. Packers 27, Queens 10.

Reaction score
As referenced above I'll support it with historical references here with last four seasons of late....

2021 - Week 1 Sammy posted 96 yards. He would only break 50 one time the rest of the seasons in week 3 two games later (68 yards)
2020 - Week 1 posted 82 yards and a TD...he would finish year with only 2 TDs and while he broke 50 three more times none were higher than 62 yards.
2019 - Week 1 HE EXPLODED with 198 yards and 3 TDs...he wouldn't catch another TD the rest of the year and only add 475 yards in 13 more games played in.
2018 - Week 1 Last time he did not have season highs in first week...produced just 21 yards on 3 receptions.

Here's to hoping we get another awesome opener out of Sammy
I'll take 2019 Sammy please! Then trade him next week while he's in his prime :coffee:

Maybe just keep telling Sammy we consider each week... WEEK 1

Reaction score
LOL honestly I'd stay away from Packer receivers at first till it sorts itself out. I think Aaron will be solid at QB still but it is going to be ever changing who receives it I think...however I strongly think argument could be made to start both Dillon and Jones even if you have them both on your roster...their usage I expect is going to be north of 20 touches each every game.
I thought it was interesting that in Aaron's locker room interview yesterday he made mention of having 4 WR's that would be his regulars. He did not say 5 or 3 etc.. and we absolutely know Randall Cobb and Allen Lazard are in that mix. That leaves 2 others that he's seeing as primary targets right now. Doubs and Watkins? Is he seeing Watson as maybe needing more time? Is Amari an afterthought or just more gadget? idk

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that in Aaron's locker room interview yesterday he made mention of having 4 WR's that would be his regulars. He did not say 5 or 3 etc.. and we absolutely know Randall Cobb and Allen Lazard are in that mix. That leaves 2 others that he's seeing as primary targets right now. Doubs and Watkins? Is he seeing Watson as maybe needing more time? Is Amari an afterthought or just more gadget? idk

Watkins is one of his four without question given all the past stuff Aaron has said. That leaves either Doubs or Watson....whom he has both praised at times....I think Amari is going to be used alot (lot of snaps) but not a ton of usage in a pure WR role (Tyler Ervin 2.0)

Reaction score
Watkins is one of his four without question given all the past stuff Aaron has said. That leaves either Doubs or Watson....whom he has both praised at times....I think Amari is going to be used alot (lot of snaps) but not a ton of usage in a pure WR role (Tyler Ervin 2.0)
So do you think he's referring to Doubs? I'm taking his statement loosely, he might just as easily said 5 but he didn't blink when he said 4 either

Members online

Latest posts