Offcial gameday thread: Packers @ Browns

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I agree. I don't expect the younger guys to be as disciplined. I'm just saying, if there is a discipline problem that is the sort of thing that will keep us from winning. I would have to say that our greatest opponent this year may well be ourselves. If we play disciplined ball the way our talent is capable of playing we will be a force with which to be reckoned and I, like you, am going to believe that to be the case until I see otherwise. That being said, I can understand why some are concerned with the sloppy play.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I don't expect the younger guys to be as disciplined. I'm just saying, if there is a discipline problem that is the sort of thing that will keep us from winning.
There is not a discipline problem.
Preseason is mostly worthless.
The only reason we have preseason is $ into the pockets of the owners.
That was evident during the CBA negotiations.
Again, preseason counts for nothing. Only the injuries last.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have demonstrated we have a successful product on the field. I think McCarthy and staff are working to that again. I don't think the players are overconfident. We were 10-6 last year in the regular season and they know they can't expect to do that again and roll through the playoffs like they did. It was amazing we won so many playoff games on the road. For the most part last night we saw the sloppy play coming from guys like Harrel and Lee(he is on life support) and many who won't make the roster. My only concern for this team at this point is depth on the defensive line and a tiny bit with left guard on the OL. Wouldn't 30 + other teams like to be in that position?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
... and your evidence that there is NO discipline problem is what? The fact that even MM was disgusted with some of our practices? Our performance last night? What?
I never said that there was a lack of discipline, again, I'm just saying that if there is a discipline problem, that could be a big problem and last night's game coupled with MM's recent comments give reason to pause.
I, however, will be withholding my verdict until we get into the regular season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I'm really not upset with the perceived lack of discipline or last nights game result. I'm done with this discussion.:happy0005:

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Starks is so much more explosive than everyone else is not even funny. He will be our franchise back soon enough.

He really is. I have been high on him midseason last year, and he looks much improved! That #1 spot will be his soon enough. Do you think he is good enough to change McCarthy's playcalling?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Starks looked really solid last night. As did Cobb. It was really nice to see some quality returns and ST play.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... and your evidence that there is NO discipline problem is what? The fact that even MM was disgusted with some of our practices? Our performance last night? What?
I never said that there was a lack of discipline, again, I'm just saying that if there is a discipline problem, that could be a big problem and last night's game coupled with MM's recent comments give reason to pause.
I, however, will be withholding my verdict until we get into the regular season.
The evidence that there is no discipline problem is that there were none last year, and there were none when the 1st and 2nd stringers played.

There was only discipline problem with the 3rd and even 4th stringers.

Now add that there was really little time for these guys to practice, add the trip to the white house cutting training time, it's very, very understandable that the 3rd stringers who never played the positions asked them to, that had never even looked at the playbook before this month, are struggling with the mental aspect of the game.

The only thing that really worries me is the ST unit. Still a bad performance by the coverage unit, as has been for the last 3 years...

Except for Masthay. That ginger is going to the pro bowl this year. That punt that bounced inside the 10 yard line was INSANE.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I would agree with nearly all of what you said. I'm not even sure there is a discipline problem. I just want to defend, to some degree, those who do.
I also agree with most everything FrankRizzo posted, but to simply assert that "There is no discipline problem" without any basis for it and to make other people feel wrong for thinking there MAY be is wrong.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we have Grant for this season but he is approaching 30. I think he will be a salary cap casualty if Starks plays like I think he will. He may be anyway! I'm hoping someone can step in and be a third down back. Too bad we didn't get to see Alex Green last night.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is my only issue with this site; many people don't understand people have different opinions than they do.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is my only issue with this site; many people don't understand people have different opinions than they do.
It's my opinion that your wrong. Of course my opinion is the right one. You should agree with my opinion because it matters more than your opinion.
:rules2: :wacko: :bomb:

(Hope ya know I'm just kidding, Moose.)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He really is. I have been high on him midseason last year, and he looks much improved! That #1 spot will be his soon enough. Do you think he is good enough to change McCarthy's playcalling?
Well, depends on what you consider changing playcalling. Creating one or two plays to display Starks? Sure.

But drastically change it? The playcalling is based on the passing game. That won't change, as long as Rodgers is at the helm, and we have as many weapons as we do.

What I do think will happen is Starks will develop into an all around back. He has very good hands, as is being used on 3rd down blocking. He needs to improve in his route running, but when he does, Starks will be a feature back, and this offense will expand even further (we don't have many RB patterns on our offense).
I would agree with nearly all of what you said. I'm not even sure there is a discipline problem. I just want to defend, to some degree, those who do.
I also agree with most everything FrankRizzo posted, but to simply assert that "There is no discipline problem" without any basis for it and to make other people feel wrong for thinking there MAY be is wrong.
Fair enough. It is, in fact, a new season, and teams under MM have shown discipline problems. There is some reason for concern, even though I don't think it'll manifest.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the subject of running backs: What happened to John Kuhn? Is he still with the team?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that really worries me is the ST unit. Still a bad performance by the coverage unit, as has been for the last 3 years...

Hey we were 29th in special teams but we have Jared Bush. :clapping:

Same thing however applies to special teams last night as a lot of the things we saw. Most guys playing special teams won't be around opening night.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we have Grant for this season but he is approaching 30. I think he will be a salary cap casualty if Starks plays like I think he will. He may be anyway! I'm hoping someone can step in and be a third down back. Too bad we didn't get to see Alex Green last night.

I noticed that and am bummed. Why was Green out?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey we were 29th in special teams but we have Jared Bush. :clapping:

Same thing however applies to special teams last night as a lot of the things we saw. Most guys playing special teams won't be around opening night.

You can't underestimate the impact of the ST coach on a ST unit.

ST is all about technique. That's up to the coach to teach guys how to sustain lanes, how to get off a block, how to make a sound tackle, how to understand the situation and get away from the ball, or call a fair catch.

It doesn't seem our players know that. That's on Slocum.

Just look at the Chargers ST unit. Putrid last year, this year it seems much, much improved.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will get little disagreement from me on Slocum(not totally sold on Campen either). I think the guy is the weak link on the coaching staff. Actually I think he suks. :agree: Still the guys playing on special teams last night tempers the evaluation a bit.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I clearly understand that this was a pre-season game and that they do not "count" for getting us any closer to the post-season, and I am certainly not pessimistic nor am I ready to throw in the towel, but I would have to say that overall (and yes, I understand that it was not the starters) the Pack played very, very sloppy football. The way they played was no better than a few years ago when they were one of the most penalized teams in the League (a lack of discipline issue). That, my friend is not a good sign, and I don't care if we are favored or how deep we are; if we don't play well-disciplined football we have no chance whatsoever of getting back to the Super Bowl. There is a reason they play the games and why there is truth to the old adage: "Any given Sunday." I really don't think the rest of the League is going to roll over and play dead because we are favored to repeat and because we are "deep in talent."

Some of what you observed was also seen by the coaches. I don't doubt the winnowing process will begin based on how poorly some individuals played Saturday night. I'm actually content with how MM did that. This way he can cut the really dead wood early (or give them less and less to do until cuts) and give more time to guys with more potential. With all the returning starters the Packers have, there won't be a lot of spots open.

As for sloppy, most of the teams I saw in this first weekend of play were pretty sloppy. In fact many folks were predicting a sloppy weekend of play. The Patriots may be the exception. Even their backups looked like they had it together. I don't get it.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts