Offcial gameday thread: Packers @ Browns

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I read Baranczyk's stuff last year. I don't always agree but I think his takes are worth reading. By my count there are three position battles going on: OLB opposite Matthews, S opposite Collins, and LG. Two are too close to call while IMO Burnett only has to stay healthy to reclaim his starting spot in the D backfield. My guess is Zombo and Walden will battle it out at OLB while Jones will back-up there and at one of the ILB spots. That leaves LG. Bob McGinn wrote an article for the pay site (so I can't link it) about the competition at LG. He says Sherrod played 25 snaps and Lang 26 at LG against the Browns. By his unofficial count, Sherrod made mistakes on about 18% of snaps and Lang on about 14% of them but those numbers included their play at both LG and LT. He notes that Sherrod missed a LB on a screen pass and was beaten badly on a spin move while at LG. He also noted the miss Lang had vs. a LB on a run that I mentioned. He says both struggled vs. stunts.

IMO Lang is more suited for LG but McGinn notes that Sherrod is much bigger and longer than Lang (and Colledge) and is also very athletic so he shouldn't be dismissed - and I don't dismiss him. Still I'd prefer he work exclusively at LT to hone his skills in case Clifton goes down and get ready to take over that spot when the time comes. It's taken Thompson some time to stock the OL with talent - remember Colledge was the back-up at LT a couple of years ago - but he's gotten the job done this year. The Packers have two young OTs of the future along with another youngster with the potential to back-up at OT. They have an absolute stud at RG with several youngsters to vie for the other two inside spots.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad we have Grant for this season but he is approaching 30. I think he will be a salary cap casualty if Starks plays like I think he will. He may be anyway! I'm hoping someone can step in and be a third down back. Too bad we didn't get to see Alex Green last night.

This is Grants last year on his contract..He will want to do very well to get "paid"

So he wont be a salary cap casualty

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Grants last year on his contract..He will want to do very well to get "paid"

So he wont be a salary cap casualty
Yes his contract is up but I don't see us resigning him so we won't devote salary cap dollars his way. Thompson will be more interested in Finley, Sitton, Nelson and perhaps Flynn and Wells for those salary cap $.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes his contract is up but I don't see us resigning him so we won't devote salary cap dollars his way. Thompson will be more interested in Finley, Sitton, Nelson and perhaps Flynn and Wells for those salary cap $.

Well they way you originally posted it, normally- cap casualty means the current season

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
I just had a few thoughts on the game.

-Graham Harrell did not look good. I know he was in there with plenty of guys who will never see the NFL but he was inaccurate and lacked pocket presence. I would be very uncomfortable with him as the #2 when Flynn leaves.

-Pat Lee should not make this team. I honestly do not think that he has improved since he was drafted. I would rather have Jarrett Bush (who I really do not like) or take a chance on a guy like Josh Gordy or Brandian Ross. He had solid coverage on the TD to Cribbs but never gets his head around. This is his 4th year in the NFL, that shouldn't be happening.

-Newhouse was getting beaten like a drum by the Browns' 2nd and 3rd teamers, that worries me.

-Rodgers looked crisp, no surprise there.

-Randall Cobb looks really smooth. He appears to be a very natural returner and he will definitely be an upgrade over Jordy Nelson or anyone else at KR.

-Donald Driver will not be on this team next year. Cobb, Jones, Nelson and Jennings will limit his PT and with the money he makes, he'll probably be let go.

-Masthay had an amazing night with three HUGE punts with great hangtime. I really hope he has the position settled for a long time.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree about Harrell, Future. I know there’s a thread on him and some fans are very high on him but he makes me wonder why QB “gurus” McCarthy and Clements (a great hire by McCarthy BTW) didn’t want another QB in camp to at least take a look at.

I hate to say it (and I mean that sincerely) but I think you’re right about Lee. I was hoping the confidence from playing in the Super Bowl would elevate his play but we didn’t see that Saturday night. He’s still got time this pre season but he reminds me of Vinnie Clark – the Packers first round pick in 1991. He was physically gifted but he just couldn’t make a play on the ball to save his life. I’m not sure if a player can overcome that deficiency. This may be the year they say goodbye to Lee and Underwood.

The return of Finley and Jones and the acquisition of Cobb will diminish the number of passes Driver sees this season but I’m not so sure about Driver next season. What if Nelson leaves via free agency and DD agrees to a lower salary and reduced role?

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
I agree about Harrell, Future. I know there’s a thread on him and some fans are very high on him but he makes me wonder why QB “gurus” McCarthy and Clements (a great hire by McCarthy BTW) didn’t want another QB in camp to at least take a look at.

I hate to say it (and I mean that sincerely) but I think you’re right about Lee. I was hoping the confidence from playing in the Super Bowl would elevate his play but we didn’t see that Saturday night. He’s still got time this pre season but he reminds me of Vinnie Clark – the Packers first round pick in 1991. He was physically gifted but he just couldn’t make a play on the ball to save his life. I’m not sure if a player can overcome that deficiency. This may be the year they say goodbye to Lee and Underwood.

The return of Finley and Jones and the acquisition of Cobb will diminish the number of passes Driver sees this season but I’m not so sure about Driver next season. What if Nelson leaves via free agency and DD agrees to a lower salary and reduced role?

You make a good point, why did they not at least bring in an UDFA to compete against Harrell?

I think Underwood should be gone as well. They moved him to safety, possibly as a last resort to see if he can be effective somewhere. His mediocre play, in addition to his off-the-field issues, might leave him on the outside on cut-down day.

Driver might take a pay cut but he's a prideful guy who might not adjust to it well.

Latest posts