Niners release NaVorro Bowman

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Martinez has looked very good this year, and I think Jake Ryan is a solid player too, but I would sign this guy for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Surprising move by San Francisco. At 29 years old he might present a decent option for the Packers to add talent at inside linebacker.

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you guys think? Martinez has looked very good this year, and I think Jake Ryan is a solid player too, but I would sign this guy for sure.

Unfortunately I expect a lot of teams to be interested in Bowman resulting in him not signing for cheap.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bowman is still working his way back from a season-ending Achilles tear he suffered last year. I'll take a pass unless he comes really cheap, which he won't.

Currently, Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 63 linebacker out of 86 qualifying players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bowman is still working his way back from a season-ending Achilles tear he suffered last year. I'll take a pass unless he comes really cheap, which he won't.

Currently, Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 63 linebacker out of 86 qualifying players.

I guess that Bowman was another 49er not being a great fit for their newly implemented 4-3 defense. He excelled playing in a scheme similar to Capers' during most of his tenure in San Francisco though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
achilles tendon tear? ouch. Name sounds nice on paper, but i'd be very wary of devoting many resources towards the guy. I'm off to go do some reading on when he did this.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's more name than game at this point. Plus he plays a position that the Packers use less than almost anyone while already having two capable options. Neither Martinez nor Ryan compare to Bowman at his peak, but they're both better than the current iteration.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
There is always doubts about whether a player coming back from an injury can ever play at the level he was before. He also was upset about his playing time and released so those are red flags that I don't think TT would look past. I don't even know if we would want him at any price.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know if it's fair to say he's more name than game when he's still been effective when healthy. Problem is that hasn't been very much the last few years. But it's not like he's just a totally ineffective washed up player at 29.

In our 3-4 scheme I don't think coming up with playing time for him would be a major issue. I expect he would be a better fit than the 49ers new scheme.

Ultimately I expect he'll wind up somewhere else, but with the somewhat dramatically different approach TT had to this last off-season it would not shock me if he kicked the tires on Bowman.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too much money, we'd be competing with other teams to get him, and martinez is looking good + we don't have 2 ILB on the field that much

so i think not

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say defiantly sign him if he's released he'd be a similar signing for TT to Ahmad brooks only much better. Problem is he's upset about playing time and he wouldn't get a ton in Green Bay. You'd have to sit Martinez or scrap the nitro package which I don't see happening. Also I believe the 49ers are trading not releasing him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say defiantly sign him if he's released he'd be a similar signing for TT to Ahmad brooks only much better. Problem is he's upset about playing time and he wouldn't get a ton in Green Bay. You'd have to sit Martinez or scrap the nitro package which I don't see happening. Also I believe the 49ers are trading not releasing him.

No they released him.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
released. 49ers are on the hook for his entire salary this year as his salary for 2017 is fully guaranteed, meaning that he’ll get the rest of the $6.75 million base salary he was due to receive this year plus keep whatever he gets elsewhere.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake is good but he's not really a playmaker/difference maker IMO... Bowman would be that and an enforcer ... but honestly we need secondary help more than anything so

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Bowman didn't play as much as he wanted, I'll ride the bench on a Super Bowl bound team any day over a team that will have another Top 5 Draft Pick. Premier players love being on the field all the time, competing, and making plays....but a Ring is a Ring.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best way we can make the CBs we currently have on our roster better is by improving our pass rush. A Top 10 pass rush could make any DB look like a stud.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Blake is good but he's not really a playmaker/difference maker IMO... Bowman would be that and an enforcer ... but honestly we need secondary help more than anything so

Would he be that? Because he hasn't been that guy lately.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would he be that? Because he hasn't been that guy lately.

But teams aren't afraid of running it right up the middle against us.....

Yeah Daniels coming back helps but it's not like there's anyone there IN THE MIDDLE who strikes any fear into running backs or forces pitches outside a lot.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we're talking about The Giants releasing DRC? Or the Cardinals releasing PP. then I'm not overly excited about getting any help for the defense at the ilb spot