Niners release NaVorro Bowman

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
But teams aren't afraid of running it right up the middle against us.....

Yeah Daniels coming back helps but it's not like there's anyone there IN THE MIDDLE who strikes any fear into running backs or forces pitches outside a lot.

I understand but I just don't think Bowman is striking fear in anyone any more. Martinez is better at this point.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
released. 49ers are on the hook for his entire salary this year as his salary for 2017 is fully guaranteed, meaning that he’ll get the rest of the $6.75 million base salary he was due to receive this year plus keep whatever he gets elsewhere.

Actually I believe whatever he gets elsewhere comes off the total the 49ers owe. But he could sign with packets for vet min. And still get his 6.75. I'd be in favor of adding him to the defense on a cheap short term deal. He is the impact inside linebacker the packers have lacked forever.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes there is offset contract language. He has been my fav 49er ( wife is a San Fran fan) for a long time. Healthy he is a beast. I think he wants to win and be on a winner. We might be able to get him on the cheap, but there will be others wanting him too.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's more name than game at this point. Plus he plays a position that the Packers use less than almost anyone while already having two capable options. Neither Martinez nor Ryan compare to Bowman at his peak, but they're both better than the current iteration.

Bowman is only 29 years old and while he definitely hasn't performed at an elite level early this season he might still present an upgrade over Martinez and Ryan.

The best way we can make the CBs we currently have on our roster better is by improving our pass rush. A Top 10 pass rush could make any DB look like a stud.

Bowman definitely wouldn't improve the Packers' pass rush though.

Actually I believe whatever he gets elsewhere comes off the total the 49ers owe.

I don't believe that to be true.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I'd rather we try to swing a trade for Rodgers-Cromartie than Bowman. We need cornerbacks in the worst way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bowman is still working his way back from a season-ending Achilles tear he suffered last year. I'll take a pass unless he comes really cheap, which he won't.

Currently, Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 63 linebacker out of 86 qualifying players.
Where are our linebackers ranked?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bowman is only 29 years old and while he definitely hasn't performed at an elite level early this season he might still present an upgrade over Martinez and ryan

He's definitely better than ryan and Martinez you just have to weigh stunting the development of Martinez vs how much better bowman is right now. And you are correct sir there is no offset language in his contract. So he gets the 6.75 million from the 49ers in addition to whatever he signs for. That's even better for the packers. They can sign him for 3 million and he gets 9.75 milluon

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The current Bowman and the way he's played in 2017 is most certainly not definitely better than what the Packers already have.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current Bowman and the way he's played in 2017 is most certainly not definitely better than what the Packers already have.

You don't think he's better than Jake Ryan? Bowman has 22 tackles in 5 games with limited playing time, in a completely new defensive system that he's not a great fit for, and coming off a lost year.

There are legitimate reasons not to sign him, it's debatable but the perception that he's just some washed up ILB is wrong.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't think he's better than Jake Ryan? Bowman has 22 tackles in 5 games with limited playing time, in a completely new defensive system that he's not a great fit for, and coming off a lost year.

There are legitimate reasons not to sign him, it's debatable but the perception that he's just some washed up ILB is wrong.
I think the reality is that we don't know if you are right.... or he may be done due to the injury I'm not really advocating for the Packers to go get him.... but it is certainly an interesting proposition.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He's definitely not better than Martinez right now. I don't know about Ryan. The Packers only use one true inside linebacker most of the time and Martinez's play is making him that guy. That keeps Ryan off the field right now, so I don't know how to really make a good judgement of where he's at.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bowman is still working his way back from a season-ending Achilles tear he suffered last year. I'll take a pass unless he comes really cheap, which he won't.

Currently, Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 63 linebacker out of 86 qualifying players.
Read something about teams having over 90% completion percentage against him. Good against the run, but was not cutting it against the pass.
That doesn't sound like a GB ilb.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Read something about teams having over 90% completion percentage against him. Good against the run, but was not cutting it against the pass.
That doesn't sound like a GB ilb.

Sadly......that DOES sound like a Packer ILB, that is the problem. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

He's definitely better than ryan and Martinez you just have to weigh stunting the development of Martinez vs how much better bowman is right now.

While Bowman might present an upgrade over Martinez I'm not convinced he's definitely better than him at this point in his career.

D

Deleted member 6794

For as much as we all say that our defense stinks, we sure do think highly of our devensive players individually.

Martinez has definitely been one of the bright spots on the defensive side of the ball this season though.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't either.

0verthecap.com shows a $9.6 mil dead cap from this move. Other reports say $9.4 mil. Either way, this is a team that had about $63 mil in cap space before the move. While contract details have now been wiped away at the usual sites that carry them, one report says Bowman had a $550,000 per game roster bonus. They will not be paying that, about $6 mil, nor will in count against the cap. What this means is the 49er's did not think keeping was worth about $3.5 mil cash and cap for the balance of this season. With the 49ers going nowhere and Lynch on the new GM 5 year clock (so long as incremental progress is made), they did not see him the future. Bowman not happy with a reduced role probably aggravated the situation bringing an attitude that would not be helpful.

This is a guy with 2 major leg injuries in the last 3 years. While elite players often return to elite status after one major injury, the odds drop significantly after two. Achilles is especially problematic.

I wouldn't bother even on a cheap deal.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's definitely not better than Martinez right now. I don't know about Ryan. The Packers only use one true inside linebacker most of the time and Martinez's play is making him that guy. That keeps Ryan off the field right now, so I don't know how to really make a good judgement of where he's at.

Watching Ryan on the field today, I'm thinking Hardy Nickerson brought out of retirement would be an upgrade from Ryan.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For as much as we all say that our defense stinks, we sure do think highly of our devensive players individually.

No kidding. Some of the Capers apologists would have you believe that he has NCAA Division 3 quality talent to work with. Yet we love Blake, we love Daniels, we love Clay, Kevin King, HHCD, Burnett, Kenny Clark, etc etc etc

Which is it?

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding. Some of the Capers apologists would have you believe that he has NCAA Division 3 quality talent to work with. Yet we love Blake, we love Daniels, we love Clay, Kevin King, HHCD, Burnett, Kenny Clark, etc etc etc

Which is it?
I think it's both. I'm not high on anyone on the DL except for Daniels. Clay can still play no matter what most say, but he definitely has lost a step and is on the downside of his career. Nobody was singing the praises of Martinez two months ago. And don't even get me started on the secondary. But the cupboard isn't completely bare. The defense has stunk for six plus years running now. At some point you have to lay some blame at the feet of Capers. He can't keep getting a free pass every year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Which is it?

Whatever allows the Packers to carry on business status quo.

There won't be any changes this year with Capers, TT, MM. #12 got hurt and couple that with all the other injuries, it will be the same old speech..."I'm really proud of the way our guys competed out there, we will get em' next year Tiger!"

Members online

Latest posts