Nick Perry News???

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, the 2012 draft class has seemed to impress at various times in camp. Worthy has shown the talent to be a real find, but is prone to inconsistency. Hayward has started to emerge already, and even Mike Daniels is starting to show that he deserves a role in sub-packages. But, I have not heard, seen, or read anything on our first-rounder. Does anyone have any news/info on how Nick Perry's been at camp? How's the transition to OLB going? Does he look like he can drop into coverage?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be totally awesome (and unrealistic) if no one outside of the packer organization knew how good he was...and then on opening day he rips it up!

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assume that no news means he's not doing anything "news worthy" but that's just a guess. I was at Saturday's padded practice and he didn't really stand out to me. I didn't see him win very many battles. Bulaga made him look foolish a few times and didn't appear to even really break much of a sweat blocking him. Bulaga isn't a slouch however, so I'm not sure how much to read into that.

Perry is a big kid and appears to have a lot of athleticism, it's just going to be a learning curve. Although, being a 1st round pick, I would like to see him being a little more competetive right now...

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assume that no news means he's not doing anything "news worthy" but that's just a guess. I was at Saturday's padded practice and he didn't really stand out to me. I didn't see him win very many battles. Bulaga made him look foolish a few times and didn't appear to even really break much of a sweat blocking him. Bulaga isn't a slouch however, so I'm not sure how much to read into that.

Perry is a big kid and appears to have a lot of athleticism, it's just going to be a learning curve. Although, being a 1st round pick, I would like to see him being a little more competetive right now...
"

Anyone who has closely followed NFL football draft for years, knows it is usually 2-3 years before one knows how good a draftee is going to be in the NFL. . The present 2012 Rookies have been in Packer Training camp since July 23rd. That is all of 5 training camp practices.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"

Anyone who has closely followed NFL football draft for years, knows it is usually 2-3 years before one knows how good a draftee is going to be in the NFL. . The present 2012 Rookies have been in Packer Training camp since July 23rd. That is all of 5 training camp practices.

And that makes for un-entertaining television on NFLN and ESPN. So they're grading them out even before they get drafted. And I watch, and I get sucked right in to this mentality. I hate this effect that the 24 hour sports news machine has had on our collective mindset.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"

Anyone who has closely followed NFL football draft for years, knows it is usually 2-3 years before one knows how good a draftee is going to be in the NFL. .

Not necessarily true. Many rookies come out of the blocks like gangbusters and perform well as rookies. College players are more pro ready than years ago.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
For some more info on Perry, I suggest reading the recent jsonline story, "Defensive Shuffle Helps Bulaga Grow". And while you read it, keep in mind Bulaga is on the verge of being - or playing like - a pro bowl RT. At least he is IMO. According to other stories I've read: Perry has slimmed down some - to about 265 and he has spent a lot of time getting coached by Greene (of course) on the field. Clay has also been quoted saying he is willing to mentor Perry and a lot of vets have told Perry the team can't afford for him to be a "rookie" - they need him to make a contribution this season. He seems very willing to take on the challenge of the position change in front of him.

As we've seen and mentioned, recent NFL history has clearly displayed how important it is for a team to be playing its best football at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs. That plays to the Packers' advantage with their influx of youth on defense. So not only for Perry but for all the newcomers it will be much more important how they're playing toward the end of the season than at the beginning. And if Perry stays healthy and plays a lot, by December he'll still technically be a rookie but he'll have gained a world of valuable experience.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we've seen and mentioned, recent NFL history has clearly displayed how important it is for a team to be playing its best football at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs. That plays to the Packers' advantage with their influx of youth on defense. So not only for Perry but for all the newcomers it will be much more important how they're playing toward the end of the season than at the beginning. And if Perry stays healthy and plays a lot, by December he'll still technically be a rookie but he'll have gained a world of valuable experience.

I agree with the context to what you are saying. Getting hot at the end of the year is what we've seen the last few superbowl champs do and it will be very important for the packers to not lose focus and maintain momentum throughout the last part of the season. But, for this years packers team the most difficult and possibly most important part of the season will be the first 6 games minus Indy. If the packers go 3-3 in that stretch the division race will be very very tight and I dont like the thought of having to beat Chicago or Detroit twice to get to the playoffs. Not to mention losses to two other strong teams in the NFC could possibly change play off seedings or maybe who is in or out.

Looking back at the schedule the last half has some tough games on it and it will be very important to be playing very good football during that stretch. With Det twice Minn (they are bad but always seems to play us well) twice and the Defending champs once (also most likely in the NFC playoff picture).

So in closing the packers need to start hot and finish strong to come out on top of a very competitive division and conference

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We just disagree slaughter25. If the Packers start 3-3 and then get hot and go 8-2 for example and make the playoffs they'll have a great shot at a title as long as they're playing their best ball going into, and during the playoffs. BTW, do you know the last time the Packers started the season 3-3? That's right, 2010. They finished 7-3 in spite of losing 3 of 4 games from weeks 12 through week 15. And as we all know too well, a team can have a fantastic 13-0 start and blowup in the playoffs.

For another example, I remember the second game of the 2007 season. The Packers traveled to Giants Stadium and trounced the Giants 35-13. Late in that game it looked like Giants players on the sideline were either fighting among themselves or looked like they had given up. Of course after dropping two in a row to start the season and finishing 10-6 the Giants beat the Pats for the title. What do you supposed Giants fans were typing and saying after starting that season by getting beat at the rival Cowboys by 10 and then getting whipped by the Packers at home by 22? And of course it was the Pats that not only started that season well but finished 16-0 that season.

Don't get me wrong, of course I don't hope they start 3-3 and I certainly don't expect it. But teams have to "bring it" late in the season not early, no matter what the schedule says. My humble advice to fellow Packers fans is try not to get too high or too low early in the season no matter how it goes. That's just the setup for the all important finish.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers won't start 3-3 but I agree with the thrust of Jack's post. Start 6-0 and then finish 3-3? No thanks. Playing your best ball at the end is what counts....along with being healthy.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't start 6-0 then worst case scenario IMO would be 4-2. I don't believe we'll lose more than 3 games if that. My prediction is 14-2 w/a SB win over the Ravens 38-24

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
By mid season at the latest I believe coach Greene & Clay will have Perry playin' like he should & not like a R.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all hope that's the case. But, I would like to hear something about how he's done in camp. Maybe it's too early. But, it's surprising to me that there has been so little reported on our no. 1 pick, and a guy we need to step up and contribute immediately. No news must mean he's neither flashing nor struggling. So maybe that's just fine for now. Obviously we will know once the pre-season games start. I was just hoping someone had seen/heard something by now.

I will say, the news out of camp has been pretty positive overall. Mostly positive news on many young defensive players that we need to step up. Hayward, House, Daniels, Burnett... it's great seeing that they have been flashing and improving so much. We need that to get our defense back on track!

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't start 6-0 then worst case scenario IMO would be 4-2. I don't believe we'll lose more than 3 games if that. My prediction is 14-2 w/a SB win over the Ravens 38-24

the ravens of 2012 are not making it that far.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I little tidbit from the Packers' website article titled, Pass Rush Dominates Wednesday's Practice
(Gotta love that heading!):
Matthews consistently pressured quarterback Aaron Rodgers from his blind side, so much so that after one pass, Rodgers playfully chased Matthews back to the other side of the line of scrimmage. “We felt it was important to crank it up today,” Mike McCarthy said. “Today was a blitz emphasis. It was a heavy pressure day today, heavy third down. It’s great work for both sides.” The outside backers’ success started in the one-on-one pass-rush drills with the offensive linemen, and then carried over to the team periods. Matthews put a spin move on backup tackle Herb Taylor that drew some hoots and hollers.

Not to be outdone, first-round draft pick Nick Perry got into the act, too, beating the heretofore unbeatable Bryan Bulaga with an inside move. Erik Walden had a successful rep that drew praise from position coach Kevin Greene, as well.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Pass-rush-dominates-Wednesday-practice/c321fe78-083d-40e7-8364-61a5510fe9d8

Among the CBs, Hayward apparently had his turn in the spotlight today and House made another play. According to one report, it looks like Burnett is coming into his own at FS. It's early, early, early but good reports on the D coming out of camp are certainly better than the opposite.

MidnightToker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's good to see a positive review, but keep in mind the source: Packers.com. They're not going to say that the defense sucks. It's the job of the writing on that website to make things seem positive. I'm not saying anything about the reality of the situation, but I'd take a JS positive review over a Packers.com positive review any day.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I agree that it's good to see a positive review, but keep in mind the source: Packers.com. They're not going to say that the defense sucks. It's the job of the writing on that website to make things seem positive. I'm not saying anything about the reality of the situation, but I'd take a JS positive review over a Packers.com positive review any day.
Agreed to a degree Midnight. If someone's not doing well they just don't say anything at all. That he was mentioned means he did something. Remember everyone, he's going against Bulaga, arguably the best right tackle in the NFC per McCarthy. He and Packers.com don't say anything overly nice about Sam Shields do they?
Perry seems to be showing here and there and that is a good thing from the perspective that Bulaga negates him and also that he can beat Bulaga once in awhile.
There is a video at Packers.com with an interview with Bulaga and he smiles when asked about dominating Perry that day in one on ones. You can see he knows it's not forever:
http://www.packers.com/media-center...ne-group/4814ebbd-bc02-4122-9567-07267ab4d139
Even if he's not dominating one of the NFC's best tackles, he's going to do enough it seems to warrant some attention from any offensive line. And that is his only expectation as far as I'm concerned. It's more than any other OLB has done the last few years. Everything else is gravy.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Bears site isn't shy about talking negative about players. It appears McClellan's teeth are green from all the grass he's been eating and the writers are saying the concerns they had with him fitting in a 4-3 look very real right now.
So while it's early I would say for now anyhow those that were pissed the Bears go this guy might just feel better although I think he would be looking a lot better in our 3-4.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed to a degree Midnight. If someone's not doing well they just don't say anything at all. That he was mentioned means he did something. Remember everyone, he's going against Bulaga, arguably the best right tackle in the NFC per McCarthy. He and Packers.com don't say anything overly nice about Sam Shields do they?
Perry seems to be showing here and there and that is a good thing from the perspective that Bulaga negates him and also that he can beat Bulaga once in awhile.
There is a video at Packers.com with an interview with Bulaga and he smiles when asked about dominating Perry that day in one on ones. You can see he knows it's not forever:
http://www.packers.com/media-center...ne-group/4814ebbd-bc02-4122-9567-07267ab4d139
Even if he's not dominating one of the NFC's best tackles, he's going to do enough it seems to warrant some attention from any offensive line. And that is his only expectation as far as I'm concerned. It's more than any other OLB has done the last few years. Everything else is gravy.

I also think that these guys really get to know each others strengths and weakness and can start to exploit them a little better as camp goes on. It really makes what you hear in camp drills less important vs what you see in the preseason games.

The last part as well I agree 100% he doesn't need to be D Ware to be successful in his rookie campaign. Just needs to do well enough that that side of the oline has to account for him not just put someone one him and take him out of the game ala Walden.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just to add to your excellent comment, I'm glad we have a young right tackle that's so good and seems to be entrenched at that position for years to come. There's no downside to having a stud at the position. I said from the day he started at right tackle he was never going to be moved to the left side.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I also think that these guys really get to know each others strengths and weakness and can start to exploit them a little better as camp goes on. It really makes what you hear in camp drills less important vs what you see in the preseason games.
Certainly, but it's a double edged sword right? Bulaga knows Perry's weaknesses and Perry might uncover Bulaga's weaknesses. That's good football. Learning to uncover each opponents weaknesses is the big step from a rookie to a pro player.
I don't see how that negates what you hear in camp. If a rookie can exploit a vet in any way that's good for both sides right? They both learn.
I'm just saying if he can find a way around or through Brian Bulaga, camp or otherwise, he's doing well. Bulaga is a solid right tackle in the NFL. Good measuring stick as far as I'm concerned. There is a huge transition under way. He has alot to learn and any positives are encouraging to me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
http://packerupdate.net/?p=21292
This is IMO an honest assessment of Perry written before Family Night. As the title says, Perry has a ways to go. The good news is Perry has almost all the physical tools he’ll need. The author mentions (in his opinion) Perry does play to his 40-time and perhaps can cover more ground than Clay. Even so, he doesn’t possess Clay’s quickness and knack for the game, but that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. As I posted above, IMO it will be more important how Perry is playing in November and beyond than how he’s doing now. As long as he’s making progress as he learns a position significantly different than the one he played at USC and gets acclimated to the NFL that’s fine with me.

I will be interested to see if he gets any snaps with his hand on the ground in very obvious passing situations. That’s maybe not a good idea now because his plate is full learning the OLB spot. But at some point it may be a good idea since its how he is used to rushing the passer.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what to think...JS Online said he looked uncomfortable in coverage and tackling in the open field...I think if he doesn't feel that natural/innate comfort level right away it likely will take some time until he does...if he ever does.

I think he will be a more traditional rookie prospect this year, but it has only been a week. Perhaps he will improve quickly as camp progresses, and into the preseason.

Staff online

Latest posts