Nick Collins hit

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
When Nick Collins hit Roy Williams, it was clearly a helmet to helmet, and the ball wasnt really near Roy. Do you think he'll be fined? or maybe even Suspended?
The fact that Roy williams was on the ground for about a minute or two doesnt help his case, I hope he doesnt get suspended cause this defense seems to have hit its groove.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szGBAz-qk8g"]YouTube - Nick Collins helmet-to-helmet hit on Roy Williams[/ame]

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Buzzkill of the Week: Will Nick Collins be suspended?

He'll certainly be lighter in the wallet. With the NFL's new emphasis on helmet to helmet shots, and there being no real way to defend the Collins hit as being a clean hit because it wasn't, I have no idea what they'll do.

I'm guessing no, because he's a first time offender, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me. And it would really suck, because we really need all hands on deck against Minnesota in a couple weeks.

(Merged the 2 threads on this topic)

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea I feel bad for him, but fortunately he got PAID this season...live and learn...I doubt he'll be suspended, first time offense for him this season

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am afraid to say it, but the NFL has been looking for a big play (er) to make an example out of. Nick is a Pro-Bowler, it was very unnecessary, and it was in prime-time for America to see during a rout.

I hope for a $50k fine, but I think it would be surprising to NOT see the COMMISH use this hit to exemplify the new rule he instated several weeks ago. I see us being without Collins for the Vikings game, but maybe find a loophole with the BYE week (maybe an appeal process that we can rescind when we play the Lions?)

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Actually I think it was a clean hit. He was lowering his shoulder to try and knock the ball out, but Williams turned and it was just a ugly hit. Collins didn't know if Williams had the ball or not. It wasn't an intentional helmet to helmet. It was just one of those things that happens in football. However, it looked dirty so I'm scared the Comish might issue a suspension since it was on national TV.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looked like a clean hit, it just looked bad. Williams scared the crap out of me, I thought he got dead. I think they will fine him but I don't think they should suspend him as it wasn't intentional. He couldn't help that. Williams was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Though it appeared that Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather could be suspended for his incredibly flagrant helmet-to-helmet hit on Ravens tight end Todd Heap, the NFL ultimately decided that it wouldn't be proper to suspend players retroactively.

"If you're going to establish an elevated level of discipline and accountability, which may include higher fines and/or a suspension, some fairness dictates that you give players and coaches and organizations some very clear advance notice of your intention to do that," NFL V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson said on the latest edition of the Rich Eisen Podcast.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello reiterated the message, via Twitter. "Fair warning needed to be given to players and clubs before increased discipline starts to include game suspensions," Aiello said. "A communication will go to the clubs, coaches, and players [on Wednesday] about the increased discipline for violations of player safety rules."

It's the right approach. When the players delivered the hits, they didn't know suspensions were possible. Moving forward, they now do."

PFT quote

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Merriweather and Harrison didn't get suspended for their hits, Collins shouldn't be suspended for this hit.

However, C'mon Nick, that was unnecessary.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
hate to say it, but it's kind of nice to see an enforcer in our secondary for a change.

Reaction score
If Merriweather and Harrison didn't get suspended for their hits, Collins shouldn't be suspended for this hit.

It was necessary for him to hit roy willams. Collins was going for the pass breakup. I thought it wasn't intentional simply because he turned his head and body away from the receiver, but he did hit helmet to helmet with the side of his helmet. He will get fined simply because they are cracking down on players. Merriweather and Harrison didn't get suspended simply because the rule was not installed in that week

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There wont be any suspension people. with all the heat the NFL brass is taking already from just enforcing the existing rules, i dont see them sticking out their rulers to rap anyone's knuckles that severely unless a player (almost) goes out of his way to intentionally hit someone in an illegal and dangerous manner.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am afraid to say it, but the NFL has been looking for a big play (er) to make an example out of. Nick is a Pro-Bowler, it was very unnecessary, and it was in prime-time for America to see during a rout.

They've been making an example of James Harrison for the past few weeks.

He'll be fined, Prolly anywhere from 35k to 75k

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
I think hell be fined a nice ammount just to show they are serious and maybe use it as another example. They are really trying to limit this so i dont think it will go without some kind of punishment.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Found this, made me think highly of a Cowboys player...

Williams said he was fine after the helmet-to-helmet hit from Collins, then appealed to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell not to fine Collins for the hit. "Commissioner Goodell, don't fine the guy," Williams said. "It wasn't that bad of a deal, he shouldn't get fined. It was a football play, a football player making a football play. No injury, no harm."

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looked to me he had a couple of steps to avoid the hit. But the game is incredibly fast, and it's hard to change a whole lifetime of coaching to change the way you play. They'll fine him, but no suspension. Next year, players will be evicted for hits like this. If there's any question, I can see them using replay to decide. The players have got to get it through their heads that this rule is for their heads.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I agree it wasn't necessary. Old habits are hard to break, though. But that doesn't excuse him. I'm fine with whatever penalty the league gives him.

Dear Nick Collins,

You are a Green Bay Packer. That means you play hard and you play with class. Your name is not Harrison. If you want to be a Packer, hit hard not cheap.

Sign me a faithful fan of the Pack.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been making an example of James Harrison for the past few weeks.

He'll be fined, Prolly anywhere from 35k to 75k

There is a reason they target James Harrison, the dude is a butt head, he asks for it! I don't think a lot of hits are clean and then he has the bad sense to go and run his mouth. Of course the league is going to put a target on his back and use him as an example as to why that rule is in effect. He is part the cause for it.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love Collins but the hit was unnecessary and dumb. Williams had dropped the ball and he hit him helmet to helmet. He'll most likely be fined 25k maybe twice that much sometime this week.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
he turned his head people...he didnt led with crown of helmet..
No he didn't and yes he did.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I put a video of the hit in the first post for people to look at and review. It gets more brutal every time I see it. If he wasn't a Packer I'd be calling for a suspension.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Turns head to avoid leading with crown of helmets..

No one better says it was intentional

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN reports the league is looking into the hit. Some think additional consequences will come out of this.

IMHO this is bulls*** plain and simple. The league is looking for someone to make an example of right now. The hit was stupid yes. Intentional, no and Williams said he doesn't think Collins deserves any penalty for it, which bears more to me than the league claiming it was cheap.

If he is suspended, everyone should be ripped. They fine Harrison 100k, probably 25k more tonight, but they'll go and make an example of a hit that many would say dances the line of a fine. Then again, that would be typical. Hopefully he will be fined for it and that is all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts