Nick Barnett is gone..

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our LB play.. I believe AJ Hawk took over for Barnett 110% this season. I know McCarthy feels that way. He and Woodson I think are the D-fence leaders. And Barnett should be tradeable. TT work your magic and get us another 2nd-3rd round pick!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
was it his knee that he blew out? If so than we'll be lucky to get a third for him. If not we could get a 2nd maybe a trade up for a higher 1st

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he isnt gone. Its up to AJ Hawk you would assume. With AJ being due 10 million or watever, its his choice if he wants to take a cut or try being a FA

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am completely fine with his exit. I want chillar and hawk back though. The return of Chillar's coverage skills will be a great enhancement to this defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think even a 3rd is optimistic.

A good player on the downside of his career coming off a serious knee injury? If TT gets a 5th we should be happy.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I hope Hawk feels he can get another ring with GB and is willing to take a reasonable cut in pay to stay.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett will be in the 5th year of a 6 year contract if he is kept. He had surgery on an injured wrist, not knee.

His biggest problem may be:

Barnett takes shots at Rodgers on Twitter

After being at the center of the Packers' team-photo flap this week, ILB Nick Barnett took some shots at Aaron Rodgers on Twitter Saturday.
Speaking to ESPNMilwaukee.com's Jason Wilde, Rodgers took exception to Barnett rehabbing his fractured wrist away from the team after he was placed on injured reserve in October. Responded Barnett, "well looks like people have something to say about where some people choose to do (their) rehab" and "it's easy to speak about others when you are not in their position." Barnett has since deleted the tweets and said he is quitting Twitter. Jan 29, 4:56:00 PM

You don't endear yourself to anyone criticizing the World Championship MVP

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not worried about the twitter thing, I think that Hawk will be a younger cheaper player if he'll restructure. With the wrist injury, we could get a 2nd or 3rd easily for him, I say make the trade if a new CBA is in place

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To Nick's point, there were 16 guys on IR and multiple players every game that needed care from the medical staff each week. If the players on IR were unable to get the attention they needed at the GB facility, they went elsewhere...which freed up the trainers and medical staff to work on the rest of the beaten and battered players.

Nick wants to be a Packer, he's never said anything negative about another player or the team. (Other than being disappointed about the Super Bowl team pic). The wrist will be a non issue when the season starts. He'll be chomping at the bit to play.

And for the record. I blame Jason Wilde and the other "Beat Writers" for getting the whole thing blown out of proportion and continuing to make it "news".

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not worried about the twitter thing, I think that Hawk will be a younger cheaper player if he'll restructure. With the wrist injury, we could get a 2nd or 3rd easily for him, I say make the trade if a new CBA is in place

IF they did try to trade him, best they get is a 3rd rounder.

He's going to be 30 before the season starts and has missed extensive playing time in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Twitter thing will decrease his trade value if they should decide to trade. I also doubt they would trade him now. Unless he himself expresses a desire to be traded elsewhere, why not keep on the roster, even as a backup? If we learned any lesson from this seasons injuries, it's that what a bunch of backups can do for your team with 16 guys on IR.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to come down to how much TT will commit to inside LBs. Bishop will get ~5 million/year. Hawk will need to renegotiate his $10 million due next season. Barnett may be asked to do the same. A lot will depend on who does what.

I'd like to see Hawk and Bishop in the middle. Barnett has irritated McCarthy with his Tweets, that's for sure.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
problem with asking Barnett or Hawk to be backups is that they both are use to being starters since day one. Hell look how upset Hawk was after the first Eagles game for not being on the field. He proved himself as the leader on the defense after Woodson by picking up Barnett's play calling responsibilities. I really think if Hawk restructures, Barnett is the odd man out.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame the press for the photo situation, I blame Nick Barnett and Jermichael Finley for taking to twitter to whine about it rather than taking it up with their captains. Nick has close to 400,000 followers, several of whom are members of the media. The story was going to explode the moment he typed his first character.

I won't be sad or surprised if we part ways with him. I always thought he played well for us, but Desmond Bishop is an upgrade and Hawk is better. I understand Hawk will have to re-structure his deal, so I know that will play a role, but hopefully it works out to where we keep him and trade Nick. Nick had a wrist injury similar to Urlacher, so he should be able to yield good value, at least a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I also expect a Barnett trade will send a warning to Finley to keep his mouth shut. No one is bigger than the team, and I don't care what kind of talent he has, he has to realize he needs us more than we need him. Super Bowl XLV is proof of that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think he was going to go, nor did I want to, but after we just win the SB, and he tweets "glad we won because if we lost I know the blame would be placed on me LOL", I want him gone.

No sense of team. We just won the frikking SB, he created a huge fuss before it (right or wrong, it was the wrong way to do it), and after the win, all he can do is think about him? About his feelings?

Screw the guy. And I really liked him and defended him.

Bishop is CLEARLY the better player, and the team is much better with Hawk calling the plays. I think Barnett is a talented player, but we don't miss him, and he's proving to be a disturbance. Good riddance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts