NFC North Comparison

OP
OP
PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Only the first week of preseason and all, but the Lions were the only team to win in week 1, (cue the "they went 4-0 in pre-season the year they had the 0-16 record).

The O-line for the Bears looked horrid and it didn't look like Ponder had a very good game either.

Much ado about nothing probably but it just MIGHT also reflect the idea there's no clear-cut high-performing team in the NFCN just yet....and to quote a little "Firefly," "and that ain't exactly nothin, either..."

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts on the Packer game was so much for our depth at DB. It was like watching 2011 all over again. Right now I would take any one of the Cardinals quarterbacks over anyone (besides AR) we've got. I'm not on the ledge because our two's played their one's, our three's played their two's. The o-line overall looked good, especially the starters, and our run defense up the middle was much improved. Last year it was sickening watching teams gash the middle of the defense running. I hope the return of Williams and Hayward makes the secondary look better next week. First string looked sharp, especially on offense. Like the new approach to running, not sure Starks is my guy on fourth and goal. He's an upright runner. Green didn't look good. Just my random observations.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only the first week of preseason and all, but the Lions were the only team to win in week 1, (cue the "they went 4-0 in pre-season the year they had the 0-16 record).

The O-line for the Bears looked horrid and it didn't look like Ponder had a very good game either.

Much ado about nothing probably but it just MIGHT also reflect the idea there's no clear-cut high-performing team in the NFCN just yet....and to quote a little "Firefly," "and that ain't exactly nothin, either..."

We were poor in week 1 of preseason but if you consider how few snaps the first team players took, it's hard to use it as evidence that the Packers aren't going to be the high flying NFCN team again. If weeks 2 and 3 play out the same way I'll start to worry a little though.

OP
OP
PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I'm heading to the Seahawks game with my Seahawk fan cousin. May be able to score tickets in the first row since it's preseason which would rock.

H

HardRightEdge

As stated in my June 4 post, it was my opinion that we're fortunate to be in the NFC North. Nothing has happened to change that opinion.

Chicago is trying to rebuild on the fly which ends up requiring a transition period, while their QB is on short-timer notice. Detroit has struggled to find an identity that doesn't involve crime or two-man pitch and catch. Ponder is so inaccurate down field that Minnesota can't use the whole field while some key defensive players are aging.

As the eminent philosopher Carl Spackler said in reaction to the Dali Lama's promise of enlightenment on his death bed, "So I've got that going for me...which is nice."

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Well, not sure how Ponder had a bad game he was only in 5 plays. Most team don't play much of the starters first game. To put anything on the first game is meaningless. To put anything on any preseason game is meaningless. Looking at individual players can even become meaningless depending on the players around them.

OP
OP
PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Well, not sure how Ponder had a bad game he was only in 5 plays. Most team don't play much of the starters first game. To put anything on the first game is meaningless. To put anything on any preseason game is meaningless. Looking at individual players can even become meaningless depending on the players around them.
All valid points.

My point was simply to reflect that while everyone was critical of the Pack's first game, the other teams in the NFCN weren't exactly running away with anything either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings may prove to be a very tough team next year. Jennings, if healthy, will improve their offense but Floyd looked like a steal at where they drafted him. In only 15 plays the guy had a blocked pass, a hurry and his only two tackles were the result of him absolutely blowing up two plays.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Never seems to stop other posters. NO rumors, gossip, innuendos, slander, hearsay, tall tales, fables, sagas, epics, legends, lore or anything? (don't have time to find a thesaurus)
Apparently after taking two snaps and throwing two passes it has been confirmed for a fact that Ponder is a bust. :)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Are you as a fan optimistic of Ponder evolving into a top-tier QB and/or one you'd be satisfied with leading your team?
I am. It's real tough to come into this league and do well as a QB your first 2-3 years. Very few start out as starters at a high level and remain there. I think the only top QB in the league right not that did not sit at least one year before starting is Peyton Manning(Eli sat for about half a season). Had Ponder had a year or two behind a decent QB I think you would be seeing a different QB than what you have seen now. Big Ben started right away as well I believe. But not many. Most have a least a year to sit before they are starting.

One thing he did well on last year was 3rd and long. And if you go down a break the games down, he did what he was asked to do. Particularly in the last 4 games, he moved the ball when he needed to. Always good to end on an upswing. His arm was really effed up after the regular season. I believe he even ended up gong the ER at one point.to get checked for blood clots. He said he couldn't even lift his arm hanging on to the ball.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 14 and 2
Lions 9 and 7
Queens 8 and 8
Bears 6 and 10; Cutler shoots 2 of his o-linemen and claims self-defense.

It shouldn't be close.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Packers 14 and 2
Lions 9 and 7
Queens 8 and 8
Bears 6 and 10; Cutler shoots 2 of his o-linemen and claims self-defense.

It shouldn't be close.
I think the Gold on your glasses is too thick and you can't see. 14-2? But I'll take it as long as the 2 are to the Vikings.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Gold on your glasses is too thick and you can't see. 14-2? But I'll take it as long as the 2 are to the Vikings.
Yeah, you're probably correct. I keep looking through the glare of all of those Championship trophies.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably correct. I keep looking through the glare of all of those Championship trophies.
You visiting Pittsburgh? Green Bay don't have but 4 trophies in their HOF. They won them, but they don't have the trophy(ies)

Members online

Latest posts