Next quarter is the season for the Packers.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming out of the first qtr. of the season 2-2 s somwhat surprising and disappointing but not terribly so. Only the Cincinnati game was an unexpected result and in hindsight that's not looking like so big of an upset as it seemed at the time.

The games coming up immediately after the bye, though, are the ones that will determine whether the Packers have a chance at a winning, playoff season or not.

They have 2 division games at home and 2 definitely beatable teams on the road. If they don't run 4-0 this stretch to make 6-2 at midseason they can't expect much with a grueling second half ahead.

There's not more than 2 games on the second half schedule that the Packers can be counted as favorites in and 2-3 close or even. So if they don't pad the record now with the favorable scheduling coming up they will struggle just to be a .500 team.

And things will get ugly in Packers Nation.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Coming out of the first qtr. of the season 2-2 s somwhat surprising and disappointing but not terribly so. Only the Cincinnati game was an unexpected result and in hindsight that's not looking like so big of an upset as it seemed at the time.

The games coming up immediately after the bye, though, are the ones that will determine whether the Packers have a chance at a winning, playoff season or not.

They have 2 division games at home and 2 definitely beatable teams on the road. If they don't run 4-0 this stretch to make 6-2 at midseason they can't expect much with a grueling second half ahead.

There's not more than 2 games on the second half schedule that the Packers can be counted as favorites in and 2-3 close or even. So if they don't pad the record now with the favorable scheduling coming up they will struggle just to be a .500 team.

And things will get ugly in Packers Nation.

I just don't see us being a contender this year with the O-line and secondary issues. I think we have a slightly better chance against the queens and their weirdo ADD fans <cough Skol Guy cough> from across the border when they come to town. The lambeau turf won't allow Allen to be as explosive and our O-line should be a tad better. Who know how Farve will react getting booed. He might have the game of his life, or we pick him off 3 times.

GB better not overlook the lions and browns. Cause your right, if they lose one of those, the season is over and 8-8 is the best we can look forward too.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers have been humbled enough in the first 4 games to not overlook anybody.

They also know they can be a better club than they've shown so far. We'll have to see if they've learned and don't keep making the same mistakes.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best 2-2 team I have ever seen,on side a note Brett Favre is 5-0 for the first time ever. hmm makes me wonder if it is destiny him being in purple.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best 2-2 team I have ever seen,on side a note Brett Favre is 5-0 for the first time ever. hmm makes me wonder if it is destiny him being in purple.
Lol, must be. The ultimate playoff choker qb with the ultimate sb choker franhcise. Keep thinking you're the cream of the NFL. Next 3 games you'll be lucky to be 1-2.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing's over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No, because when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Who's with me? Let's go. (runs out of room alone.)--Animal House

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, must be. The ultimate playoff choker qb with the ultimate sb choker franhcise. Keep thinking you're the cream of the NFL. Next 3 games you'll be lucky to be 1-2.
so far I have been right 5 times and you have been right 2 times so I am like the Joe Mauer of this forum so far:jester: Just playing with ya yeah I wasn't impressed today so you are right they have a shot at to lose acouple if they don't pick it up. Favre was at %75 today so it wasn't with him. Defense gave up alot of yards. Ugly win even though the score doesn't show that. Tough stretch is coming our way!Starting tackle Loadholt was out today for some reason. Hope its nothing serious they need the big fella

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing's over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No, because when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Who's with me? Let's go. (runs out of room alone.)--Animal House
Japanese. Not Germans...
so far I have been right 5 times and you have been right 2 times so I am like the Joe Mauer of this forum so far:jester: Just playing with ya yeah I wasn't impressed today so you are right they have a shot at to lose acouple if they don't pick it up. Favre was at %75 today so it wasn't with him. Defense gave up alot of yards. Ugly win even though the score doesn't show that. Tough stretch is coming our way!Starting tackle Loadholt was out today for some reason. Hope its nothing serious they need the big fella
Right 5 times, and I was right 2 times? When? What are you talking about?
-
My point is, you've played the Lions, Browns, St. Louis, 49ers and us at home. All those teams were minus .500 last year, and only the 49ers are above .500 this year, but they just got embarassed by Atl at home. They won only from scrubs. And we have the worst OL in football history, which had 3 positional changes (LT, LG and C) and yet it was a 7 point game at your home. The rest are the worst teams in their respective divisions. You only won the games you had to won if you consider yourself a playoff team. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, us at Lambeau, Arizona, Cincinatti, Giants and Chicaco at soldier field are different opponents. Let's see how you fare then.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense why there was some sort of magnetism and involvement with the number 4 so much, since it's the number of super bowls they lost......

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense why there was some sort of magnetism and involvement with the number 4 so much, since it's the number of super bowls they lost......
Let's face it. Even if they indeed advance from the first round of the playoffs (if they make them), they're still gonna fall to an Atlanta-like team (heh, still makes me smile). It's just the way it is. :viksux:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may have been the game plan, but I worry how AD is becoming the second option on the offense. Only 15 rushing attempts against St. Louis? Maybe it's be design to keep AD fresher for the home stretch and/or getting Brett more in sync with the offense, or maybe I'm giving too much credit to the Vike's coaching staff.

Anyhow, the Vikes should remain in good shape because Baltimore and Pittsburgh do not appear to be as good as advertised. I'm curious about Seattle coming into the dome - a game I will attend. It seems Minny has a severe bend-don't-break secondary, which the Hawks should really test.

Also, I look for the Packers to begin a stretch of about 5 straight wins - provided Clifton can stay healthy. It should be a helluva finish in the North.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS that was a quote from the movie "Animal House" I hope everyone knows that the germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor but it is a very funny part of that movie.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it. Even if they indeed advance from the first round of the playoffs (if they make them), they're still gonna fall to an Atlanta-like team (heh, still makes me smile). It's just the way it is. :viksux:
breaking out the cyrstal ball again well you were wrong a week ago with that and I am pretty sure you were wrong with the Bengals so your 50/50 ratio doesn't quite convince me on whats going to happen. So far I am batting 1.000 on the year so I am more inclined to watch the season playout before your same old blah blah blah convinces me. Now get to class jr. we are trying to have an adult discussion:stinker:and you must of been about 3 when the Vikings lost to the falcons and didn't Mike Vick and the falcons come into the frozen tundra and beatup on the Pack alittle more recently than that and eliminate the pack? So we both got a history of horror games with the falcons Jr!lol

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never really understood this line of thinking, especially so early in the season. I understand at the end of the season taking a look at the strength of the last one or two opponents when the playoffs are a tight race. But taking a look at our next four opponents in the hopes that we can pad our record to have a winning season isn’t very useful. What if we win the next four games and go into the 3rd quarter of the season 6-2? Does that mean we are good because we beat weak teams? Does that mean we will be successful if we do get into the post season? Does it give our team a confidence boost and an edge at beating the tougher teams later in the season? If it does, then why discount any kind of confidence boost that the Vikings have after winning 5 straight games? Why presume the Vikings won’t fare so well when facing tougher opponents?

Further, why are we convinced that the rest of Minnesota’s schedule is so tough? I have read this on other forums as well. Is it because Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl last year? They’re 3rd in their division right now at 3-2. Pittsburgh barely beat Tennesee (0-5), lost to Chicago (3-1), lost to Cinci (4-1), beat S.D. (2-2), and beat Detroit (1-4) in a close game yesterday. Is it because Arizona went to the Super Bowl last year? They’re 2-2 right now and barely beat the Texans yesterday. Is it because Baltimore is 3-2? Packer fans are now feeling some sort of consolation by the fact that Cinci beat Baltimore. The Ravens aren’t the team to beat this year. They’re 3-2 after beating Kansas City (0-5), San Diego (2-2 and struggling) and Cleveland (1-4). Is it because the Giants are 5-0? The Giants have played the Redskins (2-3), the lethargic Cowboys (3-2), the Buccaneers (0-5), the Chiefs (0-5) and the Raiders (1-4). Is it because the Vikings are playing the Packers at Lambeau? Are we forgetting that the Vikings have a quarterback who played at Lambeau for 16 years?

I don’t mean to sound pessimistic. I’m not saying Green Bay doesn’t stand a chance, that’s not what this is about. But if we are going to take a look at our upcoming opponents and our rivals’ upcoming opponents and predict the likely outcomes based on the strength/weakness of those teams then we must really analyze the strength/weakness of those teams. We can’t base it on what the teams did last year and we can’t base it on teams’ wins/losses. We must base it on what they are doing this year and who their opponents have been this year.
And don't forget about the Bears. While Packers fans and Vikings fans are duking it out, the Bears could very likely win the division.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Well thought out post, and it kinda stung man, why be a downer? Just kidding, You may be right about Pitt, the cards, and the Ravens, but you can't count out the G-men. But you also forget that the Queens also had the Lions, Browns, and Rams to make up three of their wins. I'll give them the 9ers and they obviously took out the Pack, but they havn't proven that they are a dominant team yet in my eyes.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well thought out post, and it kinda stung man, why be a downer? Just kidding, You may be right about Pitt, the cards, and the Ravens, but you can't count out the G-men. But you also forget that the Queens also had the Lions, Browns, and Rams to make up three of their wins. I'll give them the 9ers and they obviously took out the Pack, but they havn't proven that they are a dominant team yet in my eyes.
agreed, none of the north teams have had a daunting schedule yet so I think the vikes mabybe overated but i wouldn't count them out as being a Super Bowl contender. They are winning so to say the won't keep on winning once the schedule toughen ups is being silly since that is unkown. They better play better than they did yesterday if they want the promised land though because take away the fumbles and that was a close game.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never really understood this line of thinking, especially so early in the season. I understand at the end of the season taking a look at the strength of the last one or two opponents when the playoffs are a tight race. But taking a look at our next four opponents in the hopes that we can pad our record to have a winning season isn’t very useful. What if we win the next four games and go into the 3rd quarter of the season 6-2? Does that mean we are good because we beat weak teams? Does that mean we will be successful if we do get into the post season? Does it give our team a confidence boost and an edge at beating the tougher teams later in the season? If it does, then why discount any kind of confidence boost that the Vikings have after winning 5 straight games? Why presume the Vikings won’t fare so well when facing tougher opponents?

Further, why are we convinced that the rest of Minnesota’s schedule is so tough? I have read this on other forums as well. Is it because Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl last year? They’re 3rd in their division right now at 3-2. Pittsburgh barely beat Tennesee (0-5), lost to Chicago (3-1), lost to Cinci (4-1), beat S.D. (2-2), and beat Detroit (1-4) in a close game yesterday. Is it because Arizona went to the Super Bowl last year? They’re 2-2 right now and barely beat the Texans yesterday. Is it because Baltimore is 3-2? Packer fans are now feeling some sort of consolation by the fact that Cinci beat Baltimore. The Ravens aren’t the team to beat this year. They’re 3-2 after beating Kansas City (0-5), San Diego (2-2 and struggling) and Cleveland (1-4). Is it because the Giants are 5-0? The Giants have played the Redskins (2-3), the lethargic Cowboys (3-2), the Buccaneers (0-5), the Chiefs (0-5) and the Raiders (1-4). Is it because the Vikings are playing the Packers at Lambeau? Are we forgetting that the Vikings have a quarterback who played at Lambeau for 16 years?

I don’t mean to sound pessimistic. I’m not saying Green Bay doesn’t stand a chance, that’s not what this is about. But if we are going to take a look at our upcoming opponents and our rivals’ upcoming opponents and predict the likely outcomes based on the strength/weakness of those teams then we must really analyze the strength/weakness of those teams. We can’t base it on what the teams did last year and we can’t base it on teams’ wins/losses. We must base it on what they are doing this year and who their opponents have been this year.
And don't forget about the Bears. While Packers fans and Vikings fans are duking it out, the Bears could very likely win the division.
good post! I don't think the comfort level of Favre will be all that tilted at a place he was the man for 16 years. Yeah the Bears Vikings and packers could all win the North. haveing watched Aaron Rodgers light up the secondary against the Vikes and the Bears had a tight game with the pack so it could get interesting before it is settled.It wouldn't shock me for any of the three to win it. Black and blue Division is alive and well!

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL, yeah it does sting a bit but I would rather it sting now than get my hopes up and have it really burn later.

I agree, I'm not counting out the G-men but just like the Vikings haven't proven that they are a dominant team yet I'm not so sure the Giants have proven it either with the teams they have played so far. This early in the season I'm not gonna count anyone out, including the Packers.

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good post! I don't think the comfort level of Favre will be all that tilted at a place he was the man for 16 years. Yeah the Bears Vikings and packers could all win the North. haveing watched Aaron Rodgers light up the secondary against the Vikes and the Bears had a tight game with the pack so it could get interesting before it is settled.It wouldn't shock me for any of the three to win it. Black and blue Division is alive and well!

We can all agree that it makes for one hell of a season for everybody. I kinda feel bad for the Lions that they can't join in on the fun. Then again they are improving and could end up being a dangerous spoiler for someone. :shock:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, yeah it does sting a bit but I would rather it sting now than get my hopes up and have it really burn later.

I agree, I'm not counting out the G-men but just like the Vikings haven't proven that they are a dominant team yet I'm not so sure the Giants have proven it either with the teams they have played so far. This early in the season I'm not gonna count anyone out, including the Packers.

I'd argue the Giants might be the cream of the crop. What once held them back was passing, but it appears they're becoming very, very capable.

I would put the NFC as:
Giants
Eagles
Vikings

The Vikings have their own issues. AD is not being used enough and that may be because Minnesota cannot consistently run-block, a la Green Bay. And, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to then realize what happens when an offense becomes one dimensional - we Packer fans know this all to well - the ending is ALWAYS (except once) bitter.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Progress. It's about progress. It's a lot easier to make progress when you're winning, and have confidence. A team is usually better in the later part of the season than in the earlier one. Unless they're bad coached/bad physically prepared.

Football is never a sure thing but there are likeabilities. Pittsburgh is more likely to be thougher than Cleveland, even if they're both 1-3. Because they may not have been playing well, but the talent is there.

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Progress. It's about progress. It's a lot easier to make progress when you're winning, and have confidence. A team is usually better in the later part of the season than in the earlier one. Unless they're bad coached/bad physically prepared.

Football is never a sure thing but there are likeabilities. Pittsburgh is more likely to be thougher than Cleveland, even if they're both 1-3. Because they may not have been playing well, but the talent is there.

I hear you. I agree that a winning streak can provide a psychological benefit. But we can’t expect that psychological benefit for the Packers if they win their next four games and at the same time ignore the psychological benefit that the Vikings have after winning 5 straight games. After all, we’re talking about the Vikings beating weak teams then going on to play arguably tough teams and we are also talking about the Pack beating weak teams then going on to play arguably tough teams.

As for teams playing better later in the season, I’m not so sure that’s true because plenty of teams break down later in the season. But assuming it is true then the teams the Pack will face later in the season will be playing better. And if it’s true the Vikings will be playing better themselves later in the season.

Likeability is just perception and it is deceiving. If Pittsburgh and Cleveland were both 1-3 the perception might be that Pittsburgh is tougher, but that doesn’t mean they are tougher, even if they have more talent. This is what I mean, one would have to look at who they played, their respective statistics, each teams offense and defense, injuries, etc. We can’t just say a team is tough based on their record and the perception that they are tough.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, I’m just pointing out that the reasoning should be applied equally rather than in a partial manner just to make ourselves feel better about the rest of the season. I’m also saying that if we’re gonna judge the “toughness” or “weakness” of teams we should do so based on some sort of analysis rather than perception.

Members online

Latest posts