My take on the Seahawks game...

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was very disappointed in the Packers play. Yes, the Seahawks are a great team. They are the real deal. I personally predicted the Seahawks to win 24-17. I didn't think the Packers were going to win, but I knew they had a decent chance if they played well. They did not. They played like crap.

Some things I observed:

RODGERS looked rusty. He overthrew Nelson a couple of times and his throws were wobbly. He did not look like he was on mark. I'm not concerned about this. I know he will be better next week. But we needed him to be great this game and he was not.

LACY is a beast. Yea he only had 34 yards rushing on 12 carries but it wasn't his fault. His line wasn't blocking or giving him the holes he needed and Seattle's D line was penetrating too quickly and they were all flocking to the ball like hornets. Wasn't it a rule in NFL that if you are diagnosed with a concussion, which Lacy was, then you must sit out the next game? Does that mean Lacy will be inactive for the game against the Jets? Or does he still have a chance to play?

MATTHEWS looked great. He is my favorite player on defense but it seems that last few years he has always been injured. Hamstring and thumb injuries...but he looked great in this game. He was rushing to the ball, making plays. I love how he jumps on you and wraps his big arms around the ball carrier like a hawk wrapping up a fish it just caught. I hope he stays healthy.

SHERROD is terrible. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. He is just crap. He has been in the league since what? 2011? Didn't we pick him as a first rounder? And he has done nothing for us. He always appears to be the slowest dumbest lineman on the field and always gets beat. We should get rid of his ***. You could actually see the point in the game when Bulaga went out injured and Sherrod came in, where the Seahawks kept tearing up that side of the line and it was always Sherrod at fault.

Speaking of BULAGA what is up with him? The guy can not stay healthy if his life depended on it. Drafted in the first round just like Sherrod and has done nothing for us just like Sherrod. He seems to be capable when he is on the field, but that is a rarity it seems. He is always getting injured and is of no use to us if he can't play.

CLINTON-DIX I was impressed with. He made some mistakes and he needs to focus more when he goes for the tackle as I saw at least two times he personally missed a tackle. But I think he is going to work out for us. He made several good plays as well. I'm excited to watch him develop.

LINSLEY very impressed! He played like a stud in my opinion. Rookie, very first game in the NFL and starting, and in a hostile environment like that and aside from that one mix up with him and Rodgers I think he did extremely well. It is only one game and I'm sure he will make some rookie mistakes throughout the year, but he played very well in my eyes and I think he could be the permanent starter on this team and that would be a great steal for us getting him in the 5th round. Some people can play at the pro level no matter what round they are drafted in, and some people can't. I think he can.

OFFENSE I didn't see what all the hype was about. I didn't see us moving at blazing speed like was anticipated. Our offense needs work. I don't know what it is but it seems every time I watch a Packers game we struggle to get our receivers open, yet the other team's receivers always seem to be wide open.

DEFENSE we need work. I'm sick of seeing us get stomped year after year. It's been what? 3 years now that our defense has not been good. Time for a change. I'm just disappointed in them.

Prediction for Jets game: Packers 30-14

D

Deleted member 6794

I was very disappointed in the Packers play. Yes, the Seahawks are a great team. They are the real deal. I personally predicted the Seahawks to win 24-17. I didn't think the Packers were going to win, but I knew they had a decent chance if they played well. They did not. They played like crap.

Some things I observed:

RODGERS looked rusty. He overthrew Nelson a couple of times and his throws were wobbly. He did not look like he was on mark. I'm not concerned about this. I know he will be better next week. But we needed him to be great this game and he was not.

LACY is a beast. Yea he only had 34 yards rushing on 12 carries but it wasn't his fault. His line wasn't blocking or giving him the holes he needed and Seattle's D line was penetrating too quickly and they were all flocking to the ball like hornets. Wasn't it a rule in NFL that if you are diagnosed with a concussion, which Lacy was, then you must sit out the next game? Does that mean Lacy will be inactive for the game against the Jets? Or does he still have a chance to play?

MATTHEWS looked great. He is my favorite player on defense but it seems that last few years he has always been injured. Hamstring and thumb injuries...but he looked great in this game. He was rushing to the ball, making plays. I love how he jumps on you and wraps his big arms around the ball carrier like a hawk wrapping up a fish it just caught. I hope he stays healthy.

SHERROD is terrible. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. He is just crap. He has been in the league since what? 2011? Didn't we pick him as a first rounder? And he has done nothing for us. He always appears to be the slowest dumbest lineman on the field and always gets beat. We should get rid of his ***. You could actually see the point in the game when Bulaga went out injured and Sherrod came in, where the Seahawks kept tearing up that side of the line and it was always Sherrod at fault.

Speaking of BULAGA what is up with him? The guy can not stay healthy if his life depended on it. Drafted in the first round just like Sherrod and has done nothing for us just like Sherrod. He seems to be capable when he is on the field, but that is a rarity it seems. He is always getting injured and is of no use to us if he can't play.

CLINTON-DIX I was impressed with. He made some mistakes and he needs to focus more when he goes for the tackle as I saw at least two times he personally missed a tackle. But I think he is going to work out for us. He made several good plays as well. I'm excited to watch him develop.

LINSLEY very impressed! He played like a stud in my opinion. Rookie, very first game in the NFL and starting, and in a hostile environment like that and aside from that one mix up with him and Rodgers I think he did extremely well. It is only one game and I'm sure he will make some rookie mistakes throughout the year, but he played very well in my eyes and I think he could be the permanent starter on this team and that would be a great steal for us getting him in the 5th round. Some people can play at the pro level no matter what round they are drafted in, and some people can't. I think he can.

OFFENSE I didn't see what all the hype was about. I didn't see us moving at blazing speed like was anticipated. Our offense needs work. I don't know what it is but it seems every time I watch a Packers game we struggle to get our receivers open, yet the other team's receivers always seem to be wide open.

DEFENSE we need work. I'm sick of seeing us get stomped year after year. It's been what? 3 years now that our defense has not been good. Time for a change. I'm just disappointed in them.

Lacy will be allowed to play vs. the Jets if he passes all tests required in the league's concussion protocol. I don't agree with you about Matthews looking great during yesterday's game.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run the ball and stop the run. Thats all it takes and we can win, the problem is can we do it against the best teams in the nfl we failed with both of those last night. If we can run it opens up stuff for Rodgers, and if we can stop the run it gives the Packers offense more shots to score and better field position!

Packers only had 7 possession if you take out the two 1 play drives we had, (int and fumble) so the pack scored on 3 of seven possessions. Not great but could be worse.

oh yeah and STOP THE JET SWEEP TO HARVIN!!!!!

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy will be allowed to play vs. the Jets if he passes all tests required in the league's concussion protocol. I don't agree with you about Matthews looking great during yesterday's game.
I hate it when Clay runs 10yds behind the qb and the running back runs right where he was coming from.

Leather&Lacy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Linsley and Clinton-Dix showed great promise. Matthews looked very tough. I thought the Shields and Tramon played pretty apart from Shields biting on that play action (which should have been a penalty since one of their linemen was blocking downfield before the pass). Neal and Perry seemed to be in position most of the time. I was disappointed by Brad Jones (never liked him), Sherrod, Burnett, and Hyde. The tackling was flat out horrendous. There were some blown opportunities and terrible penalties, even some bad no-calls , but generally I thought the refs did a good job.

I'm really not sure how to process what went on last night. I'm certainly not about to say we suck or think every game is going to go that way. We played so bad I have to think it was just an anomaly. Seattle is really really good, but we made them look a lot better than they really are by playing like the worst team in the league.

I'm also not sure I buy into the fact that we're not tough enough or that we're too finesse. I really just think it was one of those games. I'm not going to worry about the rest of the season - I think we'll see a completely different team going forward. Maybe we'll look back later and say that game was the best thing that could have happened. I hope the players remember feeling disgusted with themselves last night and vow to not let it happen again all season.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also not sure I buy into the fact that we're not tough enough or that we're too finesse. I really just think it was one of those games. I'm not going to worry about the rest of the season - I think we'll see a completely different team going forward. Maybe we'll look back later and say that game was the best thing that could have happened. I hope the players remember feeling disgusted with themselves last night and vow to not let it happen again all season.[/QUOTE]

I second your last paragraph. No other team in the league would have fared any better than the Pack did against this time, at this time, in that place and in that context. But let's wait to see how Seattle is looking come December, when the things that happen to a team in its post-Super Bowl winnng season tend to materialize. We remember that the Packers in 2011 started 13-0 and looked like a repeater, too; but we also recall how that ended.

The Packers would well reel off 5-6 straight wins going forward, which should wash the taste of this one out of our mouths.

D

Deleted member 6794

I second your last paragraph. No other team in the league would have fared any better than the Pack did against this time, at this time, in that place and in that context. But let's wait to see how Seattle is looking come December, when the things that happen to a team in its post-Super Bowl winnng season tend to materialize. We remember that the Packers in 2011 started 13-0 and looked like a repeater, too; but we also recall how that ended.

The Packers would well reel off 5-6 straight wins going forward, which should wash the taste of this one out of our mouths.

Even if the Packers go 15-1 in the regular season I wouldn't feel any better about being able to win vs. the Seahawks or Niners as they're not build to beat teams like that.

H

HardRightEdge

I projected a 10-5-1 season (not quite 11-5, a bit better than 10-6) and I've seen nothing yet to change that opinion. Much of what goes into that prediction is the belief that division QBs will continue to be relatively immobile (surely) and turnover prone (old dogs rarely learn new tricks).

The defense has a long-standing problem that Thompson has not seen fit to address: lack of physical presence in the middle of the field. I find it interesting that management discussed adding defensive speed this off season (somebody show me where), while Matthews noted (overly optimistically) that the defense that got pushed around last season and would be improved in this regard. Since Matthews evidently sees the problem that management does not, perhaps the team should go old school and make him player/coach. ;)

Further, the team has gone from three or four receiving weapons that had to be accounted for down to two. Boykin/Rodgers or Boykin/Quarless does not exactly draw the attention of Jennings/Finley.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The defense has a long-standing problem that Thompson has not seen fit to address: lack of physical presence in the middle of the field. I find it interesting that management discussed adding defensive speed this off season (somebody show me where), while Matthews noted (overly optimistically) that the defense that got pushed around last season and would be improved in this regard.
Raji back to NT was an attempt at improving the physical presence in the middle of the field. Adding C-D and Hyde to safety were too (at least compared to last season). What they didn't do was improve the ILBs and it's really time for them to bench Brad Jones. I'd prefer Barrington take his place but at this point I really don't care who it is. McCarthy can't preach accountability and have Jones play 70 snaps.

Where they added speed was on the DL - more athletic DL compared to Pickett and Wilson, for example. Obviously Raji in the middle and the other changes didn't work in the opener, but other than ILB, they did attempt to improve the physical presence in the middle and the speed of the D.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji back to NT was an attempt at improving the physical presence in the middle of the field. Adding C-D and Hyde to safety were too (at least compared to last season). What they didn't do was improve the ILBs and it's really time for them to bench Brad Jones. I'd prefer Barrington take his place but at this point I really don't care who it is. McCarthy can't preach accountability and have Jones play 70 snaps.

Where they added speed was on the DL - more athletic DL compared to Pickett and Wilson, for example. Obviously Raji in the middle and the other changes didn't work in the opener, but other than ILB, they did attempt to improve the physical presence in the middle and the speed of the D.

It's possible the loss of Raji was truly devastating for the Packers run defense. If Guion doesn't show he can be a physical presence in the middle of the line pretty fast McCarthy better lines up Boyd or Pennel there soon.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lotta water to flow under the proverbial bridge but what you saw Thursday is exactly where these teams are NOW.

Seattle, loaded with proven talent ready to play.

Green Bay, some unproven players and not ready to play.

Saying it's "ok" because nobody could have beaten Seattle "that night" is simply not true.

Seattle isn't going to be any less pumped up the next time we play them in the playoffs.

We can't HOPE they get worse or HOPE we catch them on an "off day".... HOPE is not a plan

Green Bay has got to HAVE a plan (maybe they do) to be the best team, ready to execute come January.

The year we went 15-1 we were dominant all year long and then not ready to execute when it mattered most. The year we won the Super Bowl we were up and down all year but then ready to put it all together in the playoffs.

Same goes for individual players, Sherrod and Jones included. Doesn't really matter what they are today, what matters is what they can be in the team context by the end of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lotta water to flow under the proverbial bridge but what you saw Thursday is exactly where these teams are NOW.

Seattle, loaded with proven talent ready to play.

Green Bay, some unproven players and not ready to play.

Saying it's "ok" because nobody could have beaten Seattle "that night" is simply not true.

Seattle isn't going to be any less pumped up the next time we play them in the playoffs.

We can't HOPE they get worse or HOPE we catch them on an "off day".... HOPE is not a plan

Green Bay has got to HAVE a plan (maybe they do) to be the best team, ready to execute come January.

The year we went 15-1 we were dominant all year long and then not ready to execute when it mattered most. The year we won the Super Bowl we were up and down all year but then ready to put it all together in the playoffs.

Same goes for individual players, Sherrod and Jones included. Doesn't really matter what they are today, what matters is what they can be in the team context by the end of the season.

Well, first of all we have to make the playoffs to get another shot at Seattle. For that to happen the team has to improve dramatically, which I hope they're capable of (the games at Detroit and Chicago should be a pretty good indicator).

H

HardRightEdge

Raji is a less physical player than the guy he replaces. He's played best as 1 gap NT in the past, not a 0 gap like Pickett.

While Dix and Hyde are nice, fundamentally sound tacklers (somebody should check Lynch's ankles for grease ;)), and worlds ahead of the clueless Jennings in coverage, nobody's going to confuse them with physical safeties. Richardson is more of an enforcer type but he's a spot player and more like a LB/S hybrid that I would not necessarily trust dropping into the deep zones or running with a slot back. Burnett returns as the most physical of the secondary players who actually gets some snaps...no change there...especially since he continues to take bad angles coming up in run support.

I add it up, even with Raji, and I see no improvement in the physicality up the middle.

Though not a middle-of-the-field player (so far), Peppers is a physical guy but I don't think we'd say more so than Jolly.

I agree with Barrington for Jones. The former looked tough and composed in preseason; he looks more polished than Lattimore who gets that "hair on fire" look at times. Barrington ran one bad 40 at the Combine (4.92), however his good combine run (4.68) and his Pro Day number (4.69) put him about 1/10 slower than Jones but about the same as Bishop. Barrington also looked pretty nifty in blitz work, albeit agaisnt 2nd. and 3rd. stringers.

I think Jones is due for one of those ill-defined minor injuries that puts him on the bench for a couple of weeks to see how Barrington might do.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some things I observed:

Wow PackManDan! You watched the same game that I did.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Simple. The Hawks defense outplayed the Packers offense. The Packer offense had 2 drives over 40 yards. One was 79 yards and one was 82 yards. And even then, on the 79 yards drive, 44 of that came from a PI penalty on Wagner of the Seahawks.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks offense has 5 drives over 40 yards. 4 resulted in TD's and one in FG. One of those drives had stalled until a Packer ran into the kicker.

Packers simply got outplayed on both sides of the ball.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What is more, MM was ready to make an excuse for B Jones: bad quad. If Jones did have an injury, and it is obviously affecting his play in a game, then sit him for christ stakes and let someone like Barrington play! I don't get the man-crush that the coaching staff has with Jones. It speaks of an unwillingness to admit they were wrong and that he's not the player they had hoped when they gave him a fat new contract.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I got really cheezed off with the reactions from Rodgers to other players failures to catch balls that were clearly overthrown or underthrown by HIM. I know he is the golden boy around here, but he looked as rusty as hell in this game, and he needs to look at himself as well as others in this game. IMO anyway.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I hoped they all learned something and apply what they learn in the next game against the Jets. seriously.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like the Packers are the only good team to get handled by Seattle there. Mighty San Francisco went in to CenturyLink early last season and got plastered 29-3. Explosive New Orleans could only muster 188 total yards in a 34-7 loss. And on a neutral field in the Super Bowl 7 months ago high flying Denver was brought down 43-8.

Either it's that team at that place or there's something in the water at the hotel of the visiting team.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some things I observed:

Sherrod had played in what, three games?, and you've seen enough to determine he's always the slowest and dumbest? I should say something about small sample size but I'm pretty sure it'll be ignored.

Second, the packers just played the best defense in the NFL since the '85 Bears and people are suddenly crying that the sky is falling because our offense had issues. They also played that defense on the road, on opening night. Packers won't play a defense HALF as good for the rest of the season.

OP
OP
PackManDan

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod had played in what, three games?, and you've seen enough to determine he's always the slowest and dumbest? I should say something about small sample size but I'm pretty sure it'll be ignored.

Second, the packers just played the best defense in the NFL since the '85 Bears and people are suddenly crying that the sky is falling because our offense had issues. They also played that defense on the road, on opening night. Packers won't play a defense HALF as good for the rest of the season.

I simply said what EVERY ONE on this forum already knows, Sherrod is a joke. I'm not the only one that thinks this. Every one on the forum has noticed this. He was a first round pick in 2011 and has done nothing. Every time he is in the game I know because he gives up sacks or lets Rodgers get hit. Every one can see it. Can you? At some point he has to start producing and being in the league now for 3 years, especially as a 1st round pick...just not acceptable. The only good thing is that he can only go up this season from here because his first game was terrible. So yes, if he plays against the Jets I'm sure he won't be as bad.

Secondly maybe people are acting like the sky is falling...but I'm not. If you've seen me post in other threads you would have seen that I predict the Packers are still going 12-4 this season even after I saw the Seahawks game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I simply said what EVERY ONE on this forum already knows, Sherrod is a joke. I'm not the only one that thinks this. Every one on the forum has noticed this. He was a first round pick in 2011 and has done nothing. Every time he is in the game I know because he gives up sacks or lets Rodgers get hit. Every one can see it. Can you? At some point he has to start producing and being in the league now for 3 years, especially as a 1st round pick...just not acceptable. The only good thing is that he can only go up this season from here because his first game was terrible. So yes, if he plays against the Jets I'm sure he won't be as bad.

Secondly maybe people are acting like the sky is falling...but I'm not. If you've seen me post in other threads you would have seen that I predict the Packers are still going 12-4 this season even after I saw the Seahawks game.

I love the "he's been in the league three years now" angle. It implies he's had three years to prove himself while conveniently ignoring the two years he was hurt due to a broken fibula and botched surgery leading to an additional surgery. So we're judging the guy on roughly 12 games of actual game experience but we can make it seem like he's actually had over 30 games of experience! Truly a nefarious angle that hides misdirection and poor analysis behind a facade of simplicity and outrage.

Also, the second part of my post wasn't directed to you, it was forced top those that are convinced our offense is roughly the equivalent of the Titans after one game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackManDan

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the "he's been in the league three years now" angle. It implies he's had three years to prove himself while conveniently ignoring the two years he was hurt due to a broken fibula and botched surgery leading to an additional surgery. So we're judging the guy on roughly 12 games of actual game experience but we can make it seem like he's actually had over 30 games of experience! Truly a nefarious angle that hides misdirection and poor analysis behind a facade of simplicity and outrage.

Say whatever you want. You obviously have a love affair with him. Why is it that every one else I have seen on this forum has agreed that Sherrod looks terrible every time he is on the field. And who cares if all we have to go off of is 12 games of play. If he looks slow and lost in every game then that is the only thing I can judge him on. And him being a first round pick, his play just doesn't add up. And yes he has been injured for two years. Another thing we don't need on this injury riddled team.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the packers linebackers learn to be in position and tackle? Will clay rush the qb while containing. To often he lets the back go right by him while going straight to the qb. Clay is great but he need to contain a little more. Will hawk make a hawk tackle?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say whatever you want. You obviously have a love affair with him. Why is it that every one else I have seen on this forum has agreed that Sherrod looks terrible every time he is on the field. And who cares if all we have to go off of is 12 games of play. If he looks slow and lost in every game then that is the only thing I can judge him on. And him being a first round pick, his play just doesn't add up. And yes he has been injured for two years. Another thing we don't need on this injury riddled team.

I have a love affair with him because I'm being realistic and not making snap judgements based on a limited sample size? If I recall, didn't Bulaga play terribly against the Seahawks a couple years ago? I question the idea of judging Sherrod based on his play against the best defense in the NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts