My early guess on cuts

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's simple, just my list of guys who won't or shouldn't be here when we drop to 53. I won't pontificate on who the 45 are and who the 8 PS are, just who doesn't make the final 53. This is the roster list I used to make the cuts if anyone wonders: http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

Joe Calahan (Hill has been better so he's gone unless Ted loses his mind and trade Hundley)

Kalif Philips

William Stanback

Michael Clark

Montay Crockett

Trevor Davis (Mostly the fumbled punt, but when you see who I don't cut it may explain it better)

Jeff Janis

Colby Pearson

DeAngelo Yancey

Emanuel Byrd

Richard Rodgers

Thomas Evans

Jeff Gray

Adam Pankey

Don Barclay

Robert Leff

Jason Spriggs

Calvin Heurtelou

Izaah Lunsford

Brian Price

Johnathan Calvin

Josh Leuteligasenoa

Derrick Matthews

David Talley

Joe Thomas

Cody Heiman

Demetri Goodson (I see him on the list I'm looking at but I think he's already gone, so I'll add another name)

LaDarius Gunter

Daquan Holmes

Raysean Pringle

Herb Waters

Marwin Evans

Josh Jones

Aaron Taylor

Jermaine Whitehead

Derek Hart

I'm at 36 cuts right now counting Goodson, need to make 38

One or two of the combination of Patrick, McCray and and Amichia I don't see making the team.

So we're at 37.

Final cut (My list only) is

Lenzy Pipkins

As I said this is my list, and it's about a week ahead of when cuts need to be made, but there you have it. Am interested in hearing thoughts from others, I know I will be disagreed with on a few of the vets, but this is just how I see the roster breaking down.

I suspect Janis or Davis may stay and in that case I would think Geronimo Allison would be the odd man out at WR.

Reaction score
Davis.... really?
Barclay.... wait, what?
Rodgers... It just isn't happening.
Spriggs... I mean, Im kinda on board, but who the hell is manning the depth chart?
Evans...Thomas...Gunter??
JONES? - I didn't realize at first this was a comedy post.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for seeing Barclay and Gunter get the boot. Barclay is like that turd nugget that won't go down the drain...no matter how many times you flush the toilet:tdown:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's simple, just my list of guys who won't or shouldn't be here when we drop to 53. I won't pontificate on who the 45 are and who the 8 PS are, just who doesn't make the final 53. This is the roster list I used to make the cuts if anyone wonders: http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

I'm confused not just by some of your selections (mentioned by others), but the final cutdown is to 53 and after that....10 other guys will make up the PS. I didn't really follow your math and therefore don't know if you understood that part.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poker, we have 90 on the roster. I had to make 37 cuts (38 cause they had Goodson on the list whom I thought was cut prior to training cam) so by that, we're at 53

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Poker, we have 90 on the roster. I had to make 37 cuts (38 cause they had Goodson on the list whom I thought was cut prior to training cam) so by that, we're at 53

OK.....your wording of "who the 45 are and who the 8 PS are" sounded like you were making up a roster of 53 guys, 8 of whom would be on the Practice squad.

It's simple, just my list of guys who won't or shouldn't be here when we drop to 53. I won't pontificate on who the 45 are and who the 8 PS are, just who doesn't make the final 53.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My cuts as of today would look like this with the goal to sign the best still available 10 players (PS) to the Practice Squad.

OFFENSE

6 Joe Callahan (PS)
8 Taysom Hill
32 Devante Mays RB 23 5-10 230 R Utah State
34 Kalif Phillips RB 23 5-9 218 R Charlotte
43 William Stanback RB 23 6-0 231 R Virginia Union Panthers
40 Joe Kerridge FB 24 6-0 245 2 Michigan (PS)
89 Michael Clark WR 21 6-6 217 R Marshall (PS)
9 Montay Crockett WR 23 6-0 184 R Georgia Southern
19 Malachi Dupre WR 21 6-2 196 R LSU (PS)
1 Colby Pearson WR 22 6-0 194 R BYU
16 DeAngelo Yancey WR 22 6-1 220 R Purdue (PS)
49 Emanuel Byrd TE 22 6-3 236 R Marshall
86 Aaron Peck TE 22 6-2 239 R Fresno State
79 Kofi Amichia G 23 6-3 304 R South Florida (PS)
60 Thomas Evans G 23 6-3 305 R Richmond
74 Geoff Gray G 22 6-5 315 R Manitoba
64 Justin McCray G 25 6-3 317 1 UCF (PS)
77 Adam Pankey G 23 6-5 313 R West Virginia
70 Robert Leff OT 23 6-5 302 R Auburn

DEFENSE

72 Calvin Heurtelou DT 24 6-2 306 R Miami
71 Izaah Lunsford DT 23 6-3 310 R Bowling Green
96 Brian Price DT 23 6-3 318 1 UT San Antonio (PS)
56 Johnathan Calvin LB 23 6-3 266 R Mississippi State
93 Reggie Gilbert LB 24 6-3 261 1 Arizona (PS)
55 Cody Heiman LB 23 6-2 229 R Washburn
59 Josh Letuligasenoa LB 23 6-1 252 R Cal Poly
49 Derrick Mathews LB 24 6-0 232 1 Houston
57 David Talley LB 22 6-1 236 R Grand Valley State
58 Jordan Tripp LB 26 6-3 234 4 Montana (PS)
44 Donatello Brown CB 26 6-0 190 R Valdosta State
38 Daquan Holmes CB 22 5-11 187 R American International
41 Lenzy Pipkins CB 23 6-0 196 R Oklahoma State
46 Raysean Pringle CB 23 6-0 191 R Southern Utah (PS)
37 Aaron Taylor S 23 5-11 206 R Ball State
35 Jermaine Whitehead S 24 5-11 195 1 Auburn

SPECIAL TEAMS

54 Derek Hart LS 24 6-4 245 R James Madison

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Joe Calahan (Hill has been better so he's gone unless Ted loses his mind and trade Hundley)

Kalif Philips

William Stanback

Michael Clark

Montay Crockett

Trevor Davis (Mostly the fumbled punt, but when you see who I don't cut it may explain it better)

Jeff Janis

Colby Pearson

DeAngelo Yancey

Emanuel Byrd

Richard Rodgers

Thomas Evans

Jeff Gray

Adam Pankey

Don Barclay

Robert Leff

Jason Spriggs

Calvin Heurtelou

Izaah Lunsford

Brian Price

Johnathan Calvin

Josh Leuteligasenoa

Derrick Matthews

David Talley

Joe Thomas

Cody Heiman

Demetri Goodson (I see him on the list I'm looking at but I think he's already gone, so I'll add another name)

LaDarius Gunter

Daquan Holmes

Raysean Pringle

Herb Waters

Marwin Evans

Josh Jones

Aaron Taylor

Jermaine Whitehead

Derek Hart

I'm at 36 cuts right now counting Goodson, need to make 38

One or two of the combination of Patrick, McCray and and Amichia I don't see making the team.

So we're at 37.

Final cut (My list only) is

Lenzy Pipkins

As I said this is my list, and it's about a week ahead of when cuts need to be made, but there you have it. Am interested in hearing thoughts from others, I know I will be disagreed with on a few of the vets, but this is just how I see the roster breaking down.

I suspect Janis or Davis may stay and in that case I would think Geronimo Allison would be the odd man out at WR.
Man, you have a different way of thinking about things.

Please elaborate on Josh Jones. I think he is going to get a lot of playing time this season. He has played well in games, practice, and is liked by both players and coaches. I am expecting DROY for the Packers from him. And in your view he should be cut?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers have cut Derek Hart, Colby Pearson, and William Stanback, leaving the team with 87 players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey guys,

Jeff Janis

DeAngelo Yancey

Richard Rodgers

Don Barclay

Jason Spriggs

Herb Waters

Marwin Evans

Josh Jones

There's absolutely no chance the Packers will release Josh Jones only months after drafting him in the second round. In addition he seemed to perform on a high level during preseason games and practices mostly lining up as a hybrid safety/linebacker. In addition I'm convinced Rodgers, Spriggs and Evans make the 53 while it's probable Davis, Janis, Barclay and Evans as well as possibly Yancey don't get released either.

FYI Goodson remains on the PUP list and will most likely start the season on it after suffering a gruesome knee injury late last season, resulting in him not being available for the first six games. Waters has been placed on injured reserve and is out for the season. Allison is suspended for the season opener. None of them count against the roster limit in week 1.

I'm all for seeing Barclay and Gunter get the boot. Barclay is like that turd nugget that won't go down the drain...no matter how many times you flush the toilet:tdown:

Unfortunately Barclay currently seems to be the most reliable backup offensive lineman though.

My cuts as of today would look like this with the goal to sign the best still available 10 players (PS) to the Practice Squad.

DEFENSE

56 Johnathan Calvin LB 23 6-3 266 R Mississippi State
93 Reggie Gilbert LB 24 6-3 261 1 Arizona (PS)

The Packers releasing both Calvin and Gilbert would leave the roster extremely thin at outside linebacker entering week 1, especially with Perry and Elliott suffering minor injuries last week and Biegel still not having been able to practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately Barclay currently seems to be the most reliable backup offensive lineman though.

THIS.....just might be THE scariest quote of the off season! :eek:

The Packers releasing both Calvin and Gilbert would leave the roster extremely thin at outside linebacker entering week 1, especially with Perry and Elliott suffering minor injuries last week and Biegel still not having been able to practice.

That would be in anticipation of the Packers trading Ha Ha for Von Miller ;) and or signing Brooks or any other released OLB better than Calvin or Gilbert.

Sky King

Reaction score
When Barclay took over for an injured Bulaga a few seasons ago he was competent. He didn't have top-notch skills at RT but he was scrappy and effective th0ugh marginal. After his injury he lost just enough of his very limited athleticism that he began to lose some of the battles against his competition that he used to either win or play to a draw. Experience may help his cause in one respect by providing him with some savvy, but losing just a hair of athleticism by either the injury itself and the normal physical attrition a player experiences over time can make the difference for a marginally physically gifted player. Barclay is one of those players who started out on the edge and whose career will probably live and die there. He's a try-hard guy and I hope that he benefits more from his experience than he suffers from his lack of physical attributes. Let's face it, this team needs the guy who teeters more on the side of competent and scrappy.

D

Deleted member 6794

When Barclay took over for an injured Bulaga a few seasons ago he was competent. He didn't have top-notch skills at RT but he was scrappy and effective th0ugh marginal. After his injury he lost just enough of his very limited athleticism that he began to lose some of the battles against his competition that he used to either win or play to a draw. Experience may help his cause in one respect by providing him with some savvy, but losing just a hair of athleticism by either the injury itself and the normal physical attrition a player experiences over time can make the difference for a marginally physically gifted player. Barclay is one of those players who started out on the edge and whose career will probably live and die there. He's a try-hard guy and I hope that he benefits more from his experience than he suffers from his lack of physical attributes. Let's face it, this team needs the guy who teeters more on the side of competent and scrappy.

With Barclay having lost some of his limited athleticism after the knee injury it was a smart move by the coaching staff to move him inside.

Sky King

Reaction score
With Barclay having lost some of his limited athleticism after the knee injury it was a smart move by the coaching staff to move him inside.
Agreed. It could be a race between his increasing experience and his decreasing athleticism. Right now I'm not sure which is winning. And yet, he still looked better than Patrick or McCray when he was healthy early in camp. That does not bode well for the team if Barclay is out for several more weeks and the other two get pressed into service in an emergency.

D

Deleted member 6794

And yet, he still looked better than Patrick or McCray when he was healthy early in camp. That does not bode well for the team if Barclay is out for several more weeks and the other two get pressed into service in an emergency.

True, especially as Patrick left Saturday's game at Denver because of a concussion and wasn't able to practice today.

Members online

Latest posts