MVS is quietly...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Legit deep threat in how many games. He has gone AWOL for as many games as he's had deep catches imo!

He has to catch a 60 yard bomb every game to be a deep threat?

Also how many times has Rodgers under threw him this year?

MVS has been a stellar deep threat this year. He still needs a ton of refinement on his short and intermediate routes though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to catch a 60 yard bomb every game to be a deep threat?

Also how many times has Rodgers under threw him this year?

MVS has been a stellar deep threat this year. He still needs a ton of refinement on his short and intermediate routes though.
Stellar is a bit much imho. But thus far I am not unhappy with him. Thus far I'm not unhappy with anyone.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see our more important needs still on the defensive side of the ball. Inside on the D line and inside linebacker. Also, O line. I like our receivers. We have done pretty well even w/o Adams. And he is going to make a big difference.

The starting offensive line has performed pretty well. Depth is an issue but I doubt the Packers could find an upgrade over their backups at this point in the season.

Legit deep threat in how many games. He has gone AWOL for as many games as he's had deep catches imo!

Mike Evans is the only receiver in the NFL who has more receptions for 40+ yards than MVS this season. He's definitely a legit deep threat.

Reaction score
So much was said about the Packers not having enough good receivers.

We're getting running backs, tight ends and other positions to run, catch and block
which some say Bill Belichick has been doing for a while now and it's working.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Evans is the only receiver in the NFL who has more receptions for 40+ yards than MVS this season. He's definitely a legit deep threat.

I'd hesitate to pick and choose by individual attributes, but his season so far has been underwhelming and below expectations.

He's had 40+ yard catches in 4 games and has done nothing in remaining 4.

And even in some of the long TD games (Bears and Lions), he's had 1 long catch and was invisible rest of the game. Broncos and Raiders are the only 2 games till now this season that he's been at/above par.

H

HardRightEdge

Would you also say Aaron Jones has been AWOL as often as productive?

Chicago: 14 touches, 39 yards
Denver: 11 touches, 23 yards
Philly: 19 touches, 58 yards
Detriot: 15 touches 60 yards

While I would not equate the current value of the two players, there is a point to be made. A lot depends on what a defense is built to defend or what they choose to emphasize in their game plan.

For example, on Jones 1st. quarter deep ball against KC, the defense was in 2-high safety. Where was the safety on that side of the field, letting a LB try to cover Jones one-on-one? The end zone replay shows him crossing to the other side of the field with over coverage on MVS in a high-low double team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hesitate to pick and choose by individual attributes, but his season so far has been underwhelming and below expectations.

And even in some of the long TD games (Bears and Lions), he's had 1 long catch and was invisible rest of the game. Broncos and Raiders are the only 2 games till now this season that he's been at/above par.

Dear Lord, what were your expectations then? Be top 20 in the league and a Pro Bowl nod? LOL

H

HardRightEdge

There's another way to look at it.

MVS's and Sammy Watkins' receiving numbers over the last two years are nearly inidistinguishable. As for some other numbers that matter, Watkins will have been paid $34 mil for those two seasons; MVS will have been paid $1,267,556. The salary scale for day 3 picks doesn't even round the numbers to the nearest ten bucks.

So you've got that going for you. ;)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear Lord, what were your expectations then? Be top 20 in the league and a Pro Bowl nod? LOL

Being able to step in for Adams. He obviously can't replace Adams fully, but provide a consistent outlet. Our best receiver till data is Aaron Jones and that says something.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get being somewhat underwhelmed by MVS, but, I think it may have more to do with my own expectations, wanting more like others. Size/speed is incredible.

Against PHI, he made 3 receptions on 7 targets, and should have had a PI call in the end zone. Highly probable we score on that play if not for him being mugged with no call. Still got 15.7 yds/rec on what was a poor receiving day.

The last 4 games started with DAL, which was truly the Aaron Jones Show. Targeted 4 times and caught 1. DET he had 2 receptions on 2 targets for 48 yds, and had his leg rolled up on, having to leave the game in Q2, but he gutted it out and came back to contribute in the 2nd half.

Pretty sure that injury would have affected him more v. OAK, but he finished out with 2 receptions on 3 targets for 133 yds... Against KC targeted twice catching 1 for 4 yds.

Who doesn't like the long ball? I would imagine that leg was still bothering him in KC. Maybe not. We were facing the #4 Pass D in the NFL. I'd like to see more production too, but, can easily cut him some slack post injury.

I'm encouraged to see he's only had 1 recorded drop on the season, his Catch% has climbed to 56.4 (heading in the right direction from 52% 2018), and his y/rec has climbed to 19.1. Those are numbers that are all ascending, which to me is more important, as he's showing himself to be more reliable.

Figure too, everybody is still learning the nuances of this LaFleur offense. Those first 4-6 games, I thought he did alright considering. Looking at his receptions for 1st Down, that looks to be on par right now with the 25 he had last year, and if he can stay healthy, I could see him easily eclipsing that.

We'll just have to see, but I like where he is going. Everything pointing towards improved play and reliability through 8 games. Tough to say though, as Aaron has now built a higher confidence level with a number of additional receiving options. Really cool to see, and all the more reason to look at his efficiency and reliability numbers, rather than just the long ball, which also seems improved.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with having a RB with a lot of catches
OMG! You said it man. Pretty fun seeing how much more diverse this offense is compared to years past, and opposing Ds must be ******** some bricks right about now. We are currently the #4 Pass O and the #5 Rush O in the NFL according to Football Outsiders.

Imagine how much higher we would be ranked with our players having full knowledge of the system weeks 1-5. MVS, Kumerow, Lazard and Allison's production has increased significantly since we lost Adams v. PHI.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's another way to look at it.

MVS's and Sammy Watkins' receiving numbers over the last two years are nearly inidistinguishable. As for some other numbers that matter, Watkins will have been paid $34 mil for those two seasons; MVS will have been paid $1,267,556. The salary scale for day 3 picks doesn't even round the numbers to the nearest ten bucks.

So you've got that going for you. ;)
Was Watkins hurt a lot or something?

H

HardRightEdge

Was Watkins hurt a lot or something?
It's easy enough to look that up with a few keystrokes, right? Anyway, Watkins missed 6 games last season and 2 games so far this season. He has a history of durability issues and KC chose to look past that when they gave him that inexplicable contract.

But since we're talking about real football, not fantasy football where you might get an early warning to bench a player for some random guy on some other team, durability and availabilty matter. There are posts above commenting about players being AWOL. Well, a player can't be more AWOL than being injured and on the inactive list, and he gets paid whether he plays or not.

MVS has not missed a game yet in his brief 24 game career. So that's a checkmark in his plus column.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Maybe when he gets a few catches that would qualify for this video, people would be more likely to accept his ability.
The catch at the 9:00 minute mark of this video is not too shabby:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That picture shows the hand in the face but it doesn't show him getting whacked. Any decent receiver would tell you that's a tougher catch than some one-hander in space.

Alternatively, there's this very impressive stuff:

On the other hand, in the "what you don't do is just as important" equation, you might also get this:

I saw him drop a little wide open out this past week and I didn't watch much of that game nor have I watched much OBJ in general, but when I do it always seems to be something and a high price to go with it.

There's this, for example:

Or this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...to-a-sponsorship-deal-with-daniel-wellington/

Who knows what else if I was really paying attention. No player has gotten more "brand" mileage out of one catch in the history of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy enough to look that up with a few keystrokes, right? Anyway, Watkins missed 6 games last season and 2 games so far this season. He has a history of durability issues and KC chose to look past that when they gave him that inexplicable contract.

But since we're talking about real football, not fantasy football where you might get an early warning to bench a player for some random guy on some other team, durability and availabilty matter. There are posts above commenting about players being AWOL. Well, a player can't be more AWOL than being injured and on the inactive list, and he gets paid whether he plays or not.

MVS has not missed a game yet in his brief 24 game career. So that's a checkmark in his plus column.
Yeah, but you made it sound like they were equal talent wise.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, but you made it sound like they were equal talent wise.
That's what you read, not what I wrote. "Talent" can be an fickle quantity. Production and its costs are where the rubber meets the road.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being able to step in for Adams. He obviously can't replace Adams fully, but provide a consistent outlet. Our best receiver till data is Aaron Jones and that says something.

Hes done a better job in Adams absence in his 2nd year then Adams did in Jordys absence in his 2nd year

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hes done a better job in Adams absence in his 2nd year then Adams did in Jordys absence in his 2nd year

But he isn't averaging 150 yards a game with a TD everytime....he has to step up more LOL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think this take lacks some perspective. To be a deep threat in the NFL is to be a boom/bust player, statistically. Brandin Cooks, Desean Jackson, and others help illustrate this. They have blow up games and very quiet games because of the nature of their role in the offense. MVS is a critical piece even when he isn't filling up the stat sheet. Without him, the Packers would see a lot more single high and have a lot less room to operate in the run game, as well as the short/intermediate portions of the field.

If he is a disappointment to you, then I think your standard for a 5th round pick is a little out of whack. He's been a home run.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all going to change when Davante Adams returns... I could easily see MVS, Allison, Kumerow and Lazard getting a lot more targets. I'm also excited to see what Ryan Grant brings to our offense.

Opposing Defenses are going to really struggle covering the Packers with Adams back and healthy. Add our RBs and TEs into that mix, and who do they double? Who do they roll a S over for help? MVS will be one of the many beneficiaries of Adams' return either v. LAC or after the Bye.

This should be fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

You have to understand MVS is mostly used as a deep threat in the Packers offense as the team has better options in the short to intermediate range at this point. While that results in him missing in action in some games he opens up room for other receivers as long as he catches some long throws from time to time.

Being able to step in for Adams. He obviously can't replace Adams fully, but provide a consistent outlet.

It should have been pretty obvious MVS wasn't suited to be an adequate replacement for Adams.

I would imagine that leg was still bothering him in KC. Maybe not. We were facing the #4 Pass D in the NFL.

I really have no idea why Football Outsiders considers the Chiefs to feature the fourth best pass defense.

Members online

Latest posts