MVS is quietly...

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the NFL

You have to be able to consistently get open and/or make tough catches, if you can't, there's hundreds (or thousands) of kids that can take your spot. My alma mater, SMU, has provided a plethora of WR talent to the NFL recently too maybe we can look there?

That's why they pay you $$$millions$$$ to play a god damned game to run a route, get open, and catch a ******** ball. It's not rocket science here lol.

I make near million $$ annually with a combination of salary, bonuses, stock options, investments, etc... but I add A LOT more value to society than playing a game.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always and CONSISTENTLY have liked MVS. Although I see him for what he is, a good deep threat ala Javon Walker. He's not really ever going to be a "Number One" type of WR but a VERY good number 2 or so. This is attributed b/c you couldn't stop guys like Jordy, Davante, or even Greg Jennings when you "keyed in" on them... They will/would STILL put up big numbers on you, it didn't really matter what you did. I don't see that kind of talent with MVS honestly, but that's ok as when we get Davante back he won't need to do that.

I have consistently felt that Allison was Jarret Boykin 2.0, and shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

With Lazard stepping in the last two weeks it has taken a lot of pressure off Allison who just isn't that good.

Lazard on the other hand has looked very, VERY good in his short sample size so far...

Agreed on Boykin comparison. Once Allison falls down our depth chart, I feel his career will be pretty short.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the NFL

You have to be able to consistently get open and/or make tough catches, if you can't, there's hundreds (or thousands) of kids that can take your spot. My alma mater, SMU, has provided a plethora of WR talent to the NFL recently too maybe we can look there?

That's why they pay you $$$millions$$$ to play a god damned game to run a route, get open, and catch a ******** ball. It's not rocket science here lol.

I make near million $$ annually with a combination of salary, bonuses, stock options, investments, etc... but I add A LOT more value to society than playing a game.
WR's aren't exactly hard to find. Allison is not a highly paid one by any means. He's far better than the garbage label you've given him especially when compared to his peers. He could be a Treadwell, Patterson or Troy Williamson LOL

anyway, were you actually listening to Troy last night? SMU has what 3? WR's in the NFL in the past 10 years? I wouldn't call that a plethora LOL. Or maybe you just watched the 3 Amigos and figured that's what it meant?

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR's aren't exactly hard to find. Allison is not a highly paid one by any means. He's far better than the garbage label you've given him especially when compared to his peers. He could be a Treadwell, Patterson or Troy Williamson LOL

anyway, were you actually listening to Troy last night? SMU has what 3? WR's in the NFL in the past 10 years? I wouldn't call that a plethora LOL. Or maybe you just watched the 3 Amigos and figured that's what it meant?

How about Beasley, Courtland Sutton, Trey Quinn, Emmanuel Sanders...

Beasley, Quinn, and Sanders are especially the WR types that we would need, someone who can get open underneath

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS's ceiling is a very good number 2. People need to take their homer glasses off...

But that's 100% fine since we have Davante. If MVS can be like Javon Walker, basically a 70rec, 1000+ yd, 8+ td, 15.0+ypc type of guy(small sample size for Javon)... we will be GREAT.

Lazard I am hopeful can be the number 3 we are needing... or maybe Kumerow, who knows

Allison and Shepherd are/were garbage, not NFL caliber WRs.
No. Wrong.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd is garbage...

I mean that play where the ball near the 1 or 2 yd line where the pass HIT HIM IN THE FACEMASK and bounced off/up and got intercepted is really laughable.

That's like something you would see off a comedy movie or something.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While slipping... OK. I agree it wasn't a good look for him, at all. THAT was a freak play.

I don't think he will make that same mistake again. I'm a fan of Darrius Shepherd. I'm not apologetic about it either. 2nd All-Time leading WR in NDSU history. Shepherd had a better yds/rec average than Allen Lazard had at Iowa St. 15.1 vs 13.9 in their 4 year careers. Nearly 3000 yds receiving. The guy knows how to catch a ball. As a fan, I can cut him some slack on a bad game. I want to see some production though, just like anyone here.

I'm not going to count Shepherd out...

Shepherd now shares an adjoining locker to two-time Pro Bowl receiver Davante Adams.

For his part, Adams has been one of Shepherd’s biggest advocates. He praised the rookie receiver at every turn this offseason – from the precision of his route-running to how Shepherd went out of his way to learn offensive-line protections.

Adams’ admiration for Shepherd’s humble approach began during the first offseason workout during which rookies were integrated with the rest of the veterans on the roster.

As an icebreaker that day, the Packers had all of their rookies introduce themselves to the group by stating their names, college, position, and for extra laughs, their signing bonus.

Shepherd had the unenviable task of following rookie first-round pick Darnell Savage and his seven-figure bonus, but he still stepped forward and spoke the truth when called upon.

“Darrius Shepherd, North Dakota State, receiver. Zero-dollar signing bonus,” he said plainly. The team quickly erupted in a wave of cheers.

“Everybody thought he was joking,” Adams said. “I’m like, ‘That’s the type of dude I want on my team.’ Because if you don’t pay me a dollar, I don’t even know if I want to be there. So it says a lot about the type of guy he is.”

Shepherd was a portrait of consistency throughout the spring and summer. One catch after another, he worked his way up a crowded receiver depth chart to get reps with Aaron Rodgers and the No. 1 offense.

“I felt like every day we’d turn around and be like, ‘That ‘Shep kid made a nice play over the middle or on a go ball,’” Patrick said. “I don’t think there’s a guy in this locker room who wasn’t rooting for him after seeing how he performed in OTAs and even camp.”

Shepherd proved to be more than just a story when he caught touchdowns in back-to-back games to open the preseason and flashed as a returner in relief of an injured Trevor Davis.
https://www.packers.com/news/darrius-shepherd-proving-to-be-more-than-just-a-feel-good-story

Calling him garbage is wrong. Same goes for your labeling of Allison.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And, who are you to say MVS's ceiling is as a #2 WR? That's laughable, "like something you would see off a comedy movie or something."

Was Jordy Nelson a #2 WR? MVS has already eclipsed Jordy's 2 year totals, in just Game 6 of his 2nd season.

We will see what happens with all 3 WRs.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would I care how Shepherds YPC compared to Lazard's in college? That's just an odd comparison.

1) They're different kinds of WR.

2) Shepherd played at the FCS level, Lazard played in a P5 conference. I'm very well aware of how good NDSU is, but let me tell you, DB's at that level are real bad.

3) Why use college stats/tape when we have NFL tape on both?

I like Shep. I've been rooting for him from day 1. Thought he could well! But man, he just looks to slow, and not quick enough on the field. He hasn't been a good enough returner to justify his WR play. Not everybody is going to work out.

Just remember, every single one of these guys was a good college player.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think part of it with MVS is the only place he has succeeded has been as a deep threat. Which is, of course, very valuable. But he hasn't been a threat on short or mid range passes. His route running just isn't crisp enough, and some of that has to do with his body type. Very similar to Martavis Bryant. He's just not a guy who has been able to win at all areas of the field.

Now that doesn't mean that he can't develop that. He can, obviously, get better. But as of now, he hasn't shown it. A guy like Adams, who can get open, against anybody, anywhere on the field, is a #1 WR. They're not very common. It's not a slight to say MVS most likely won't be that kind of WR. But still, good WR, valuable role, great return on investment.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Just a black guy who is a little above average speed, above average height, can jump above average height, etc etc and is making $400k-600k ...but would NOT be doing anything else with their lives if not playing in the NFL."

Uhh...how hard were you trying to not be racist? Because you did a really bad job at not being racist.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok i'll be transparent, this isn't to sound racist or wrong . . .

Just a black guy who is a little above average speed, above average height, can jump above average height, etc etc and is making $400k-600k ...but would NOT be doing anything else with their lives if not playing in the NFL.

Obviously this isn't true for all of them, as you'll see guys who have engineering or medical degrees playing in the NFL. But this is the MAJORITY of guys like that.
You may not have wanted to sound racist, but that is exactly what you are. Very shameful. Very ignorant.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 2,016 players in the NFL.

There are 327 million people in the US.

I'll let y'all do the math on that, but it's very rare to play in the NFL.

The NFL had a revenue of $8.1 billion in 2018...and you're worried about bottom of the roster types making $400k? For an educated businessman, you're pretty bad at math.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ok i'll be transparent, this isn't to sound racist or wrong but just as some of you have said "WRs in the NFL are easily replaceable" they are a dime a dozen and sometimes just ""camp bodies". A guy who is above average height, speed, can jump a little higher, etc etc.

Are guys like OBJ, Davante, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Diggs, etc etc special and do they deserve, have the talent, physical "gifts/skills" and ability to earn and be worth $$$ MILLIONS$$$ ????

Absolutely yes. Some of them can do what none others can do and it's truly remarkable.

BUT...

At the same time there are just the "dime a dozen" or "camp bodies" or guys that just fill in and aren't special that wouldn't be doing anything else (most likely) than playing in the NFL or football or some sport of some sort.

Just a black guy who is a little above average speed, above average height, can jump above average height, etc etc and is making $400k-600k ...but would NOT be doing anything else with their lives if not playing in the NFL.

Obviously this isn't true for all of them, as you'll see guys who have engineering or medical degrees playing in the NFL. But this is the MAJORITY of guys like that.

So it's just the black players who would not be doing anything else if it wasn't for hanging on in the NFL?

This is a wretched post.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point isn't a shot at Allison or Shepherd as i'm sure they're good guys..

But you honestly can't tell me that you can't just find/draft a guy who JUST graduated a year or 2 ago to play WR in the NFL and can't match their production/efficiency???

I find that REALLY, REALLY difficult to believe.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd is garbage...

I mean that play where the ball near the 1 or 2 yd line where the pass HIT HIM IN THE FACEMASK and bounced off/up and got intercepted is really laughable.

That's like something you would see off a comedy movie or something.
is this the ball that was thrown behind him and he slipped trying to adjust to it?

Reaction score
You may not have wanted to sound racist, but that is exactly what you are. Very shameful. Very ignorant.
Interesting timing. As a general rule Amish, when someone tells you they are not trying to sound racist or inflammatory.. you can just hold your ears shut. Sadly, I had to pray hard to forgive him and ask the Lord to give him a pass, but I had to block him for throwing around GD’s name like it’s a vowel
The first poster I’ve blocked in 5 years.. if that tells you anything. It’s a shame we live in such a permissive world where it’s ok to do or say just about anything.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My point isn't a shot at Allison or Shepherd as i'm sure they're good guys..

But you honestly can't tell me that you can't just find/draft a guy who JUST graduated a year or 2 ago to play WR in the NFL and can't match their production/efficiency???

I find that REALLY, REALLY difficult to believe.

Those players being replaceable and saying that there are bunch of "black" players in the NFL who wouldn't be doing anything if they weren't on the bottom of an NFL roster are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

The first is fine. A debatable assertion.

The second is IGNORANT, RACIST HORSESHIT.

Some NFL players would be doing very little with themselves outside the league. Some would be doing a lot. Their ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those players being replaceable and saying that there are bunch of "black" players in the NFL who wouldn't be doing anything if they weren't on the bottom of an NFL roster are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

The first is fine. A debatable assertion.

The second is IGNORANT, RACIST HORSESHIT.

Some NFL players would be doing very little with themselves outside the league. Some would be doing a lot. Their ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

how many white WRs, or RBs even, do you find or see in that scenario???

Let's be 100% honest here...

Why hasn't Kumerow gotten more opps? What took Thielen so long to "get a chance"

How come it took Jordy Nelson so long to develop and get a chance???

Why are guys like Welker, Edelman, Amendola always overlooked as actually being "good"? Sure they played on the Patriots in their best seasons but you still have to be pretty good to get 100/1000 every year...

hmm..........

*ps Christian Mcaffrey has shown he has the ability to be the 2nd coming of Marshall Faulk.. but he's constantly overlooked. Sure the Panthers aren't any good but you can't ignore his production/stats.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
how many white WRs, or RBs even, do you find or see in that scenario???

Let's be 100% honest here...

Why hasn't Kumerow gotten more opps? What took Thielen so long to "get a chance"

How come it took Jordy Nelson so long to develop and get a chance???

Why are guys like Welker, Edelman, Amendola always overlooked as actually being "good"? Sure they played on the Patriots in their best seasons but you still have to be pretty good to get 100/1000 every year...

hmm..........

*ps Christian Mcaffrey has shown he has the ability to be the 2nd coming of Marshall Faulk.. but he's constantly overlooked. Sure the Panthers aren't any good but you can't ignore his production/stats.

Can we just get it overwith and ban this clown?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me? Or do Posters with pack fan from somewhere all have a similar quality in their posts?

Latest posts