MVS is quietly...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not sure yet. He only caught two passes last game and the TD was a pretty short pass. One on one coverage. Not very good coverage. So yes, he caught one long pass. Perfect throw. It isn't like MVS ran past the defender.

On the short catch and run, he outran the entire defense. Jones made a killer block, but no other Raider got within 8 yards of him.

On the long bomb, you need to watch that play again. 10 yards into the route, he just absolutely dusts #21 and he is in the act of doing the same to #42 when he has to throttle down to catch the underthrow.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm going to say what I've been saying for months now about MVS-- he is always going to be a low volume wide receiver in both targets and receptions, but his presence on the field is critically important to the success of the offense.

He stretches opposing defenses vertically and opens up the field for intermediate options, underneath options, and the running game. He gives serious teeth to the play action game. Without him on the field, opposing defenses would be able to play up to the LOS and make everything more crowded and contested for the rest of the offense.

People who expect him to be a high volume wide receiver are always going to be disappointed. He is going to be a feast or famine type of guy, statistically. But without him, things would become much more difficult for Petals & Co.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's slowed a bit by that ankle injury, and still nobody can run with him. He is a legitimate take the top off the defense threat. even if he's not regularly catching those passes, when Adams gets back, he'll just clear out space underneath and we'll kill them that way.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the short catch and run, he outran the entire defense. Jones made a killer block, but no other Raider got within 8 yards of him.

On the long bomb, you need to watch that play again. 10 yards into the route, he just absolutely dusts #21 and he is in the act of doing the same to #42 when he has to throttle down to catch the underthrow.
Sorry, I got that play confused with the Detroit play. Yes, he was wide open. I did not think it was a terribly underthrown ball but yes, he was wide open. Not sure he really outran anyone. That side of the field was empty of defenders. A good playcall. But a good play on his part. And he looked good on it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sorry, I got that play confused with the Detroit play. Yes, he was wide open. I did not think it was a terribly underthrown ball but yes, he was wide open. Not sure he really outran anyone. That side of the field was empty of defenders. A good playcall. But a good play on his part. And he looked good on it.

I don't understand how anyone can watch what he does to #21 and what he is in the act of doing to #42 when the throw comes out and say that he didn't outrun anyone.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone can watch what he does to #21 and what he is in the act of doing to #42 when the throw comes out and say that he didn't outrun anyone.
Well, I'm not saying he isn't fast. Just pointing out that I think he was so open because of the play design. After all, he really has not beaten anyone with his speed on an out and up. I just think he got so open because he was cutting across the field to an empty area. I believe he does not get separation on the out and ups because he does not run the out very well. But he ran that play like he should have.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Game 6 in his 2nd season, MVS has already surpassed Jordy Nelson's 2 year totals. Think about that. MVS is good. He needs to up his catch %, but it's heading in the right direction these last two weeks. I would venture to say he will get that up around 70% this year by season's end - which would put him in elite company. That's the only metric that is really lacking compared to Nelson. For his career, Nelson had a 66.3% catch %. MVS is currently at 53.6%, but for the season he's at 58.6%. Trending in the right direction, in a new system, by Week 6. Not bad.

MVS looks to be well on his way to making a very BIG name for himself in Green Bay as a nice go-to for Aaron Rodgers, not just on the deep balls... His yds per reception are already far and away better. His 1st down receptions are climbing and will easily surpass Jordy's numbers if he stays on course. MVS's drop % has been cut in half this season as well. Great to see.

Seriously, here's your legit #2 WR: MVS is simply just getting started.

FWIW, AJ Green's catch % for his career is 58.7%. Emmanuel Sanders career catch % is 60.8. Mohammad Sanu's career catch % is 67.1% - though Sanu's yds per target has never touched what MVS is doing. Neither has AJ Green, compared to what MVS is doing through just 6 games in year 2.

Both Green and Sanu's calling cards are as chain movers. MVS is trending in the same direction as Sanu for 1st down receptions, and could well surpass Green in this regard, who is prolific btw, with a healthy season and career. Davante Adams has crazy numbers as a chain mover, with between 46-64 1st down receptions per season 2016-1018. AJ Green has ridden those insane #s throughout his entire career.

I suspect MVS will become as prolific a TD scorer as AJ Green and Davante Adams in time as well. If he gets more than 10 TDs this season, and is able to maintain that for a few seasons, he's firmly in the club.

MVS. He's on his way. If reports are correct that Davante Adams is on his way back from injury, covering both will be difficult for ANY team to defend. We haven't even touched on Allison, Kumerow and Lazard...

This is a *****in' Camaro of a WR group in my opinion. We're simply dealing with some unknowns as Packers fans, but the trending is looking pretty hot, and should ease some fears.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmmmm....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm kinda diggin' the Camaro...

H

HardRightEdge

So, you think MVS is pretty fast? ;)
I'm going to say what I've been saying for months now about MVS-- he is always going to be a low volume wide receiver in both targets and receptions....
That's a bit premature for a second year player out of South Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
On pace for about 1,000 yards..

He reminds me more of Javon Walker than anything tbh... which is GREAT! Hopefully without the attitude
His yards per is 19.8 average. He’s starting to show his big play ability. It was intriguing to see him take the Sideline.. It’s pretty apparent that nobody’s catching him if he has a 2-3 yard lead.
If he finishes what he started.. he basically IS our #2 with 950 yards, 5TDs neighborhood.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His yards per is 19.8 average. He’s starting to show his big play ability. It was intriguing to see him take the Sideline.. It’s pretty apparent that nobody’s catching him if he has a 2-3 yard lead.
If he finishes what he started.. he basically IS our #2 with 950 yards, 5TDs neighborhood.
I'll say he produces WAY more.... by season's end, WAY MORE. Figure, he's already amassed nearly 500 yds receiving through 6 games, while learning an entirely new system. These guys are just now understanding their roles, and all the complexities of LaFleur's offense....

*****in' Camaro!

H

HardRightEdge

MVS currently leads the league in 40+ yard receptions with 5.

Hill led the league last year with 8 on 137 targets. MVS had 4, tied for 11th., on 73 targets, close to Hill on a per target basis.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS's ceiling is a very good number 2. People need to take their homer glasses off...

But that's 100% fine since we have Davante. If MVS can be like Javon Walker, basically a 70rec, 1000+ yd, 8+ td, 15.0+ypc type of guy(small sample size for Javon)... we will be GREAT.

Lazard I am hopeful can be the number 3 we are needing... or maybe Kumerow, who knows

Allison and Shepherd are/were garbage, not NFL caliber WRs.

Reaction score
I'll say he produces WAY more.... by season's end, WAY MORE. Figure, he's already amassed nearly 500 yds receiving through 6 games, while learning an entirely new system. These guys are just now understanding their roles, and all the complexities of LaFleur's offense....

*****in' Camaro!
Not sure about lots more..But I think his chances of breaking 1000 yards is there, due to Adams being limited here for a couple more weeks. That in itself would be a heck of a goal. We could have two 1000+ receivers this season.

Phazael

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is good as long as he catches the ball, so people take the threat seriously. Thats the major bugaboo I have with Allison and somewhat Graham at the moment, is they drop so often that opposing Defenses can get away with blowing a coverage on them. Kumaro and Lazard, on the other hand, have been pretty clutch and we all know AR won't throw to guys he has lost faith in. As long as MVS can real in a key deep ball consitantly once a game, he is useful to the overall offense.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS's ceiling is a very good number 2. People need to take their homer glasses off...

But that's 100% fine since we have Davante. If MVS can be like Javon Walker, basically a 70rec, 1000+ yd, 8+ td, 15.0+ypc type of guy(small sample size for Javon)... we will be GREAT.

Lazard I am hopeful can be the number 3 we are needing... or maybe Kumerow, who knows

Allison and Shepherd are/were garbage, not NFL caliber WRs.
I have never been an Allison supporter but I would not characterize him as garbage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never been an Allison supporter but I would not characterize him as garbage.
He has not stepped up this year in terms of consistency that he needs to be that legitimate guy behind Adams. That's what is holding him back, but calling him garbage? I'm not sure people really watch if they arrive at that conclusion. He's made some big and touch catches already this year, philly and the Detroit come to mind. But he has to be more consistent week to week.

Staff online

Members online