MVS is quietly...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is progressing forward unlike any WR we have had in a bit at his age vs production, this includes Adams:

Adams

Year GP GS Rec Yds
2014 16 11 38 446
2015 13 12 50 483
2016 16 15 75 997
2017 14 14 74 885

MVS

16 10 38 581
2019 7 7 21 416

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS has become that vertical threat that teams can't really focus on because the run game is doing well and Rodgers is just so good at buying time. He's putting up these numbers now and he's not even that good a route-runner yet. If he gets that part of the game down then the Packers have a legit very good receiver on their hands.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
MVS has become that vertical threat that teams can't really focus on because the run game is doing well and Rodgers is just so good at buying time. He's putting up these numbers now and he's not even that good a route-runner yet. If he gets that part of the game down then the Packers have a legit very good receiver on their hands.
What I like about LaFleur is that he's taking deep shots with MVS every game. Regardless of how many times the Packers actually connect, it forces the defense to respect it. Can't emphasize enough how much that opens up the rest of the field.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure yet. He only caught two passes last game and the TD was a pretty short pass. One on one coverage. Not very good coverage. So yes, he caught one long pass. Perfect throw. It isn't like MVS ran past the defender.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty amazing. A week ago he sucked and we needed to trade for a WR. Less than a week he became very talented!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty amazing. A week ago he sucked and we needed to trade for a WR. Less than a week he became very talented!

Only idiots thought this. Even though I wouldn't be opposed to an experienced WR coming in (Grant could simply be that) MVS is solid and young/raw still. Dude is putting up numbers the second year Adams would have dreamed about in his sleep.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always and CONSISTENTLY have liked MVS. Although I see him for what he is, a good deep threat ala Javon Walker. He's not really ever going to be a "Number One" type of WR but a VERY good number 2 or so. This is attributed b/c you couldn't stop guys like Jordy, Davante, or even Greg Jennings when you "keyed in" on them... They will/would STILL put up big numbers on you, it didn't really matter what you did. I don't see that kind of talent with MVS honestly, but that's ok as when we get Davante back he won't need to do that.

I have consistently felt that Allison was Jarret Boykin 2.0, and shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

With Lazard stepping in the last two weeks it has taken a lot of pressure off Allison who just isn't that good.

Lazard on the other hand has looked very, VERY good in his short sample size so far...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm reminded of Brett Favre losing Sterling Sharpe to a turf toe, and then eventually to the career-ending neck injury at the end of 1994. With his stud WR gone, Favre had to start throwing to the "scrubs." That's when Robert Brooks, Chmura, and others' targets and receptions doubled and tripled from the 1994 season. I think that Rodgers is being forced to follow the same path, throwing to young guys and turning them into good WRs.

p.s. They still have yet to catch up to The Great One:

Adams
Year GP GS Rec Yds
2014 16 11 38 446
2015 13 12 50 483

Valdes-Scantling
Year GP
GS Rec Yds
2018 16 10 38 581
2019 7 7 21 416

Sterling Sharpe
Year GP
GS Rec Yds
1988 16 16 55 791
1989 16 16 90 1,423

p.p.s. Kumerow is the dark-haired version of Jeff Query

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The irony is that Davante has been compared to Sterling often and I can see the same talent level actually

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure yet. He only caught two passes last game and the TD was a pretty short pass. One on one coverage. Not very good coverage. So yes, he caught one long pass. Perfect throw. It isn't like MVS ran past the defender.

That wasnt a perfect throw. MVS had to slow down to catch it. If it was a perfect throw MVS walks in for a TD because, unlike the your very next sentence, yes MVS had run right past the defender.

Expectations should be tempered but Rodgers has missed a number of throws deep to MVS this season simply because he doesnt have a good read on his speed yet

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wasnt a perfect throw. MVS had to slow down to catch it. If it was a perfect throw MVS walks in for a TD because, unlike the your very next sentence, yes MVS had run right past the defender.

Expectations should be tempered but Rodgers has missed a number of throws deep to MVS this season simply because he doesnt have a good read on his speed yet
I see his targeting getting better though the past few weeks.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see his targeting getting better though the past few weeks.

Oh I agree. Its definitely starting look like Rodgers is starting to understand he might not be able to overthrow MVS.

Was simply responding to the 'perfect throw" part. Throws that far down field arent easy but it wasnt a perfect throw. If it was it would've been a walk in TD

H

HardRightEdge

When Rodgers stops yelling "keep running" at him it could be 1,200 yards. ;)

Seriously, he was my upside pick for 2019. He still has to sharpen up his intermediate routes or the league will catch on.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I agree. Its definitely starting look like Rodgers is starting to understand he might not be able to overthrow MVS.

Was simply responding to the 'perfect throw" part. Throws that far down field arent easy but it wasnt a perfect throw. If it was it would've been a walk in TD

AR made a comment postgame that he made a 'terrible throw" I believe

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure Rodgers has complete confidence in the angles MVS takes out of his breaks. A throw like the deep ball in this Raider game might be splitting the difference.

That said, his corner break out of the post move was explosive which might require some further calibration.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bad or not, it was at least safe. He was wide open, and even if he has to slow slightly and come more across the field than up, the defender wasn't going to get there, and he wasn't going to over throw and make it uncatchable.

While I want them to dial it in more, that was a throw I can live with :)

But, it looked like he tried to heave it and it came out a little off in real time. I'd need to see a replay because i'm very likely wrong.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
bad or not, it was at least safe. He was wide open, and even if he has to slow slightly and come more across the field than up, the defender wasn't going to get there, and he wasn't going to over throw and make it uncatchable.

While I want them to dial it in more, that was a throw I can live with :)

But, it looked like he tried to heave it and it came out a little off in real time. I'd need to see a replay because i'm very likely wrong.
Yeah.

I just refuse to believe that after two seasons, Rodgers continues to "underthrow" or "misfire" to MVS because he's misjudging. I'm leaning more toward HRE's point about the angles.

Regardless, like you I'm good with at least making sure the completion is made. Hopefully with more time to continue adjusting and getting comfortable, we'll be getting 6 more often.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why not both? He’s talented but we still should trade for a wr because right now he’s more of down field threat than a get open consistent guy, and we need a get open consistently guy.

Members online

Latest posts