MUST win Super Bowl year, would you agree?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is young and the core nucleus of the team is young too.. but I honestly see Green Bay as the ultimate team next year and here is why:

1.) Rodgers is in his prime.

2.) This will likely be the last year we'll have ALL of our star receivers, particularly an underpaid Jordy Nelson. Need to take advantage of that.

3.) Playing with something to prove after a disappointing end to last season.

4.) Defense will be LOADS better, since it is of my opinion that not only was a lack of pass rush our nemesis, but I believe losing Nick Collins put tremendous pressure on our younger DB's. Now they will step up, hopefully with the aid and direction of Woodson and Peprah. I still love Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, I just don't think they were ready to take it all on without the pro-bowler Collins having their back.

5.) Donald Driver, Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday are all old players who are still at the top of their game.. but this may be their last year, must use what's left in the tank and step up big.

I think anything less than a super bowl APPEARANCE at the very least would be demoralizing, since there's a good chance our team the following year won't be as strong--although there is no doubt they will remain a top tier team for the next decade or so..

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year is a must-win year. This is the Packers, not some washed-up team from minesotta.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it a "must-win"?

The packers will field their strongest team since Lombardi was the coach IMHO. They are very strong and the most likely to win, but nothing is a "sure thing" in the NFL. But that's what makes it fun. The best team in recent memory, the Pats 3 years ago, nearly went undefeated till a good (not great) NYG team handed them their ***es in the Superbowl.

I will like very much for the Pack to win it all, but it is a very difficult task. Appreciate what the Packers are and the position they are in and just relish every moment of what should be a great season by a team we can be proud of. Winning the SB will be the icing on the cake.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Superbowl or Bust I would say, must win seems a little more harsh. IMO if you field a better team than a 15-2 team you should be gunning for a championship. But then every team is gunning for a championship. Any given Sunday or "insert your favorite football cliche here" lol. I would say the window is definitely open now but to say if we don't win this year it will close is a bit off target to me.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'll be disappointed if they don't win but I see the door opening not closing.
1. Rodgers won't be 29 until December. He has at least 5 good years left barring injury.
2. I think we will have Jordy around along with Jennings for years. Thompson has always made it a goal to keep his own. Plus we have a couple of youngsters waiting in the wings like Cobb, Moss and Gurley. We might lose Driver to retirement but his presence now is more of a leader anyway. We are loaded at the WR position!!
3. Playing with motivation because they lost last year is a plus not a negative. I don't understand why they wouldn't have the Super Bowl trophy as motivation each and every year.
4. Thompson just made a huge investment in the defense which should pay dividends for years. The defense as a whole is young. Woodson and Pickett being the only guys with any age. Yes, Woodson will be hard to replace but we should improve in other areas if this draft class pays off which I think it will.
5. Not fearing the loss of Saturday either. Thompson will address that.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers are set for a run over the next 3 years that hasn't been seen since Lombardi. Then again they also were set 15 years ago. For many of the players this is their one chance at the ring. I'll predict about half the 2012 opening day roster is not here on opening day 2015 including 1/3 the starters. Depends on the other half of the roster that isn't here as to how well they do after that.
I expect to see a methodical determined team for the next 2-3 years that will be extremely disappointed if they do not play in the SB every year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll predict about half the 2012 opening day roster is not here on opening day 2015 including 1/3 the starters. Depends on the other half of the roster that isn't here as to how well they do after that.
I expect to see a methodical determined team for the next 2-3 years that will be extremely disappointed if they do not play in the SB every year.

The Packers will by opening day 2015 have three more drafts. Certainly players will be added during that process and some consequently subtracted. That's the way Thompson operates. Keep the engine fueled.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
2.) This will likely be the last year we'll have ALL of our star receivers, particularly an underpaid Jordy Nelson. Need to take advantage of that.

Nelson is under contract until 2015, and if he repeats what he did last year, you can bet he'll get a raise.

5.) Donald Driver, Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday are all old players who are still at the top of their game..

These guys are no longer at the top of their game. Woodson is close, but Driver has declined steadily over the past 3 seasons.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson is under contract until 2015, and if he repeats what he did last year, you can bet he'll get a raise.

These guys are no longer at the top of their game. Woodson is close, but Driver has declined steadily over the past 3 seasons.
I don't see any reason to expect our ability to draft and develop players to decline any time soon either. For every Driver that hangs them up, there will be a Jordy Nelson to step into the ranks. Who's next? Probably Cobb, then? Borel, Gurley, Moss, some guy we draft next year, etc. As long as TT is drafting, MM is coaching, and Rodgers is our QB (You can't expect to get a QB of his caliber) we have a shot at the Superbowl. Some years we will be a favorite, some years in the top 5. But always near the top.

making the super bowl is still an accomplishment
Nearly 1/2 of the teams (14) have never won a Superbowl. 4 teams have never been to the Superbowl.

There are teams out there who's fans biggests hopes are to make the playoffs - let alone win a Superbowl.

We are very fortunate to have had some great teams and possess 4 Lombardis and in a position to add to that trophy case.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is young and the core nucleus of the team is young too.. but I honestly see Green Bay as the ultimate team next year and here is why:
1.) Rodgers is in his prime.

3.) Playing with something to prove after a disappointing end to last season.

4.) Defense will be LOADS better, since it is of my opinion that not only was a lack of pass rush our nemesis, but I believe losing Nick Collins put tremendous pressure on our younger DB's. Now they will step up, hopefully with the aid and direction of Woodson and Peprah. I still love Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, I just don't think they were ready to take it all on without the pro-bowler Collins having their back.

5.) Donald Driver, Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday are all old players who are still at the top of their game.. but this may be their last year, must use what's left in the tank and step up big.

I think anything less than a super bowl APPEARANCE at the very least would be demoralizing, since there's a good chance our team the following year won't be as strong--although there is no doubt they will remain a top tier team for the next decade or so..

Very well-stated.
Years slip by faster than we think... and things change fast.

When the 96 Packers won it all, we were on top of the world.... dominated in 97 again and expected more rings. We got no more.

When the 84 Dolphins with the new superhero Marino went to the 49ers, everyone expected a dynasty there almost and many more Super Bowl appearances and some rings.
He never even made it back to the game.

Windows close fast sometimes..... we "needed" to stamp our name on that thing again last season and missed out.

I think we have to win it again this year or else we're just another good team.
We really have a chance to be special. Dammit. I wanted to better the Patriots (2001-2004) and Cowboys (1992-1995) in winning 3 straight and not just 3 our of 4. Now we need to win the next 2 to match them.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Every NFL team , except Minnosota, expects to win it all at this time of the year. Green Bay is no exception in this. I want to see the Packers in another SB just like everyone elese here. This team can do it if certain things fall into place.
1.Players stay healthy!
2.Defence has to play better(tackle)
3.A better running game
4.Better run blocking
5.Improved Special Teams play
6.The Packers will need that good luck that champions seem to have.

I am ready for some football!!!! GO PACK GO

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
With Brandon Marshall as our number one receiver and Cutler at qb how can we go wrong?????
Oh wait... wrong forum.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Quick Sheriff he went that a way . Head him off at the pass. He's armed and dangerous Sheriff, you go first.
:rolleyes:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO there’s a difference between viewing a team as the clear favorite to win a title and calling winning that title a “must win”. That term usually involves some consequences if the game or title to which it is applied isn’t won. Regarding “must win a title”, the name that leaps to mind for me is Andy Reid. He’s been the HC in Philly since 1999 so at some point I would think even his staunchest supporters would advocate for a change if he doesn’t bring home a title. Yes, he’s won a ton of games and he’s made it to several NFC Championship games. But in 13 seasons he’s led the Eagles to just one Super Bowl and lost. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know how much pressure to win it all he’s under and I really don’t care. But contrast his situation to McCarthy’s or Thompson’s regarding “must win” a title: I don’t see any significant changes if the Packers don’t win it all this season so in no way do I view it as a “must win”. I agree with those who say the Packers are set up to seriously contend for the next several seasons but IMO none of those seasons can be characterized as “must win”. IMO having a great QB is more important than it ever has been in the long history of the NFL. Having a great organization has always been important and remains so today. The Packers get an A+ in both departments so the future is bright for at least the remainder of Rodgers’ career.

The Packers are picked as the favorites to win it all by many “experts” and I believe they’re the favorites for those who place bets on the NFL. They’re certainly among a few teams that have a very good chance to win it all. Regarding the particulars cited in the OP, I don’t think this will be the last year all of the Packers star receivers will be in Green Bay because I don’t consider Driver a star receiver anymore. And I don’t think Woodson, Saturday, or Driver (IMO he’s clearly the most expendable of the three), are at the “top of their games”. They’re good and hopefully good enough, but time affects everyone and all three are near the end of their NFL careers. I hope and expect the defense will be much improved, but that’s far from being a certainty. And if the last two seasons have taught us anything, its that what matters most is how a team is playing at the end of the season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like what sets humans apart from most creatures is opposable thumbs, what sets the Packers apart from the Yankees and Cowboys of the world is that we don't mandate "must win" situations for our team. I'd love to see them win but must-win, that puts way too much importance on a recreational sport.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
After going 15-1 last yr & that terrible loss to the NYGs the Packers have something to prove. Especially on D. Just going to the SB isn't enough. You gotta win it! As Lombardi said "winning isn't just a sometime thing. It's an all the time thing" plz forgive me if that's not word for word but u get the jest. I predict our D will be top 5 or better the whole yr. our O-line will be top 3 of not #1. Here is my prediction. NFC Championship game GB vs Eagles. 35-24 GB. AFC Championship Ravens vs Pats. 28-24 Ravens. Super Bowl XLVII Packers vs Ravens 38-24 Packers. People will then try to talk to DD in going out on top. I think he should. Woodson will retire after the 2013 season.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like what sets humans apart from most creatures is opposable thumbs, what sets the Packers apart from the Yankees and Cowboys of the world is that we don't mandate "must win" situations for our team. I'd love to see them win but must-win, that puts way too much importance on a recreational sport.
If u ask the players of course they're going to say we try to go 1-0 for 16 weeks. Every team that actually has a chance to make the SB will tell u they put the pressure on themselves. I bet Matthews expects himself to be in the running for Defensive player of the year

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW! Just thought of something I didn't think of when I made my predictions. Although it won't be as big as Manning vs Manning. Clay Matthews bro plays for the Eagles. I think he's on SP. teams & occasionally plays D.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I would not say must because you never know what could happen; injuries, the ball does not bounce your way/bad luck....the other team just has has the game of their life etc.

A lot can happen in the playoffs, especially in a competitive NFC over recent years now.

I won't say SB or bust. But, I kind of do think that the Packers will have a lot of pressure to win at least ONE playoff game, assuming they are in the playoffs again.

If the Pack don't win a playoff game and go one and done again you risk the Rodgers "Peyton Manning one and done" reputation starting....the regular season wonders etc.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its the NFL every team feels they Must win the Superbowl.... We have what appears to be a strong team. You never know. There really is no such thing super bowl or bust. Winning more than one Super Bowl as a QB is a rare thing. Only 11 have ever done it. Only 3 are active players Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, and Eli Manning have. If you get one ring your in small club. A second one gravy.....

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont really think its a must win year, we still have one of the youngest teams in the league if not the youngest. I think we will get another ring in the next two years though. Rodgers having 2 rings before he turns 30 will feel good to say.

Members online

Latest posts